Let's Be Realistic Here

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Duke Narked

Duke Narked

• RS Name:Nark the Dom
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

Today I started to think about the evolution on gaming and how quickly it changes. From a few years ago when games were only released with a minimum of two years apart and you actually played the game for story lines in solo player. Now when you look at todays market leaders in gaming, which release a new title every year and the single player mission is shorter than,let's say, the average night that us guys like to spend with a quality lady. Yet we still complain and whine and moan that they don't listen us players, they don't give us what we want, and that we are quitting. However after then number of times we say that WE STILL PLAY these market leading games. Hell I'm guilty of this too.

Then it got me thinking on the lines of Runescape. The game is now coming to it's 11th year. It has only released it self 3 times, 4 if you count EoC. Yet people still play it, spend money on Membership every year which is just less than the average cost of a regular new game on Xbox or Playstion, get 200 times long game play in just playing solo, ie quests. Yet, People still female dog and complain about Runescape as much as the complain about these main stream games and say they quit and they do.

And I was thinking, what is the main difference between Runescape and these main stream games? Marketing! Call of Duty, with the help of the US Military, spends over $100 million Dollars on Marketing, hosting events, youtube videos, TV commercial, posters, endorsements, hiring Machinima stars and so and so.

The only reason why people keep playing these main stream games, even though they makes really annoyed, make us angry, aren't fun or are just plan boring is because of all the crap we are feed into our brains through everything we see about this game. Now imagine what Runescape was like if it spent $100 million dollars on advertising Runescape? How many people would be still playing because of the information and the constant bombardment of slides of the game? It makes think back to this McDonald's joke, "You would eat your own crap if our marketing was that good."

I guess the main point about this topic is, How can Jagex compete with companies that spend the income that Jagex makes in a year on Advertisement alone to help maintain a health flow of new players? Because lets face it, how many of us talk about Runescape to our friends in senior year High School? Compare that to the number of time you talk about Halo or CoD.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Derp

Derp

hurr durr

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Halo releases stuff too often now imo, reach etc was the downfall of the halo series.

Same with CoD when they've started releasing stuff every single year. >_>

They earn a lot from releasing new games so it's natural they're going to be often & shorter campaigns etc most likely due to the smaller difference in time between releases.

-Sprinted; 99 Slayer; 17th July 2012; 130 Combat; Only other 99 being craft

#3 Paradite

Paradite

What ever you say

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

The main difference is those games you mentioned are bought from external stores and are played on gaming systems such as an xbox or ps3. The fact that runescape is spread primarely by mouth and has managed to exist 11 years is pretty epic. Despite what people want to say, jagex does listen alot more than people say. I bet jagex listens more than the makers of cod/halo do, or even blizzard does with their fan base. The biggest issue is all those hypocritical selfish people who make up imaginary expectations and get ticked off and "rage quit" when jagex doesn't meet their made up expectations..and of course they never actually quit because they are as addicted, maybe more so, as anyone lol.
Posted Image

#4 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

The main problem- It's very, very difficult to market Runescape. It is.

It's a game designed for a niche audience. Not many people would enjoy clicking High Alchemy then clicking a piece of paper 150,000 times to get to put on a pixel cape. However, it's far, far easier to market "run around with your friends, blasting your opponents".

Even marketing other MMOs, like WoW, is quite a bit easier. Something doesn't need to be actually interesting, it just has to look it, to be marketable. Hence why WoW is able to market a lot easier- it's a lot more fun to watch this than "kill 245 black demons".

#5 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Runescape is a much smaller niche then most main stream games, yes this game has a lot more play time then other games such as cod, but you also have to put hours and hours into the game before you really can do anything, and if you only play a couple hours a day it could take you months before you able to do even semi high end content.

People don't have the attention span for that much work, if someone wants to play a game to blow of some steam its a lot easier to pick your controller up and be in a game killing other people in 30 seconds then it is to do something like play runescape.

if jagex did spend $100 Million on marketing I still dont see their fanbase growing to the point were they could even be close to competing with the top game companies because frankly this game is 11 years old, and its still got 7 - 8 year old graphics game mechanics etc and it still would not stand a chance against any of the big name games.

Posted Image

#6 Semmm

Semmm

Blunt Roastin on a Cloud Just Coastin

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Im not trying to be a organ in any way. But what source do you have backing the statement "the military helps fund the marketing for COD"? Would honestly love to know

#7 Startinez

Startinez

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostParadite, on 12 December 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

The main difference is those games you mentioned are bought from external stores and are played on gaming systems such as an xbox or ps3. The fact that runescape is spread primarely by mouth and has managed to exist 11 years is pretty epic. Despite what people want to say, jagex does listen alot more than people say. I bet jagex listens more than the makers of cod/halo do, or even blizzard does with their fan base. The biggest issue is all those hypocritical selfish people who make up imaginary expectations and get ticked off and "rage quit" when jagex doesn't meet their made up expectations..and of course they never actually quit because they are as addicted, maybe more so, as anyone lol.

What this man said sums up my exact feelings. Was going to post something pretty identical.

Startinez

98/99 Slayer

Now I embody every characteristic of the egotistic

He knows, he's so f***in' gifted

#8 hellboysjd2

hellboysjd2

quit gaming

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Two different type of games, one is MMORPG the other is a FPS.. Ask your self why do people buy new sport games every year? Fifa 2013\Pes 2013 nbk 2013 etc..

Marketing is a rewarding tool, it can be used to do many things.. But its main intent is to SELL and it does so WELL.. You can't market runescape because it ####### sucks.

ancient fury || pure hatred || why i quit - gaming

disabled viewing signatures & avatars.

#9 Duke Narked

Duke Narked

• RS Name:Nark the Dom

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostSemmm, on 12 December 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Im not trying to be a organ in any way. But what source do you have backing the statement "the military helps fund the marketing for COD"? Would honestly love to know

Most Military Games are funded and back by the military. THey need access to the hardware for drawing and 3D model for a realistic effect. I don't know about you, but I don't have an F/A 18 parked in my shed. Secondly, few years ago I believe the Nat Geo released a series about the new Military, which explained the sub text of advertisement to gain new recruits. Thirdly, it is a well know fact that the US Military will sponsor anything that promotes the killing of terrorist and shoves apple pie down your throat.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 moneyhelpspk

moneyhelpspk

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

RuneScape would've probably been more successful if they had released more versions of the game instead of just releasing itself 3 times in 11 years. For example how did Pokemon become popular? The makers of pokemon kept on releasing newer and newer versions of the original game such as Pokemon Diamond & Pearl or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Now the difference for Runescape is that it requires a lot of tedious and yet boring work, which many people probably wouldn't prefer, so they play the game for a few days, then quit because it takes too long to level. Also, if Jagex were to ever release more versions of the game (the last one being Eoc) then they should hire gamers for a short time to test them out instead of only getting their employees to test them.

#11 Semmm

Semmm

Blunt Roastin on a Cloud Just Coastin

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostDuke Narked, on 12 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostSemmm, on 12 December 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Most Military Games are funded and back by the military. THey need access to the hardware for drawing and 3D model for a realistic effect. I don't know about you, but I don't have an F/A 18 parked in my shed. Secondly, few years ago I believe the Nat Geo released a series about the new Military, which explained the sub text of advertisement to gain new recruits. Thirdly, it is a well know fact that the US Military will sponsor anything that promotes the killing of terrorist and shoves apple pie down your throat.

Part 1 is false. America's Army to my knowledge is the only game that was publicly funded by the military. 2) Giving artists access to draw models isnt any kind of funding. I dont doubt the fact that advertisment and recruiting is a tad slimey as military ads pop up on espn and fox soccer every 10 minutes but never appear on comedy central per say but much of what youre saying is a tad extreme.

#12 Nebbo 67

Nebbo 67

Im A KO Monster - CoR P2P Warlord

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Its strange,
CoD is advertised so much, obv I buy it and play it from time to time. But realistically the games have been reusing the same rubbish and just getting worse and worse for a while now, I barely play them yet I always buy them.

On the flipside, RS is barely advertised,
If it does have an advert on the TV I immediatly change channel and refuse to go back to that channel for a good hour or so, and when I see game cards in stores I have an urge in the back of my mind to leave the store...
yet runescape is the game I cannot stop playing.

It gives me the impression that despite the enjoyment you get from a game, and how much you play it is irrelevant when it comes to if you will pay for it? That all comes down to your perception of the people who produce it. I have no doubt in my mind that I would not pay for runescape if I had to go out to a store to buy memberships, the simplicity of a click of a button is pretty much as far as I would go for jagex.

Its odd, the game I find dull and barely touch I'm happy to buy, probably because of how its advertised and the efforts their producers go to.
Yet the game I play every day and more or less enjoy I can barely stomach paying for.

Odd.

CoR since 10.05.05 Posted Image CoR since 10.05.05
Click for my PK videos (1-5 OLD WILDY): [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

#13 Elder Jr

Elder Jr

Zybaholic

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I agree that main streams games have turned into any other industry, it thrives on marketing campaigns and i believe Call of duty series out of all games was the first one to take marketing on a whole new level with there events all over the world and huge game releases. Although i do love the fact that gaming industry is becoming more and more acceptable around games. Unlike 10 years ago, where game developers and companies weren't taken much into account as real industry.

The only way Jagex can overcome there current situation is that if they adapt to the new trend of gaming industry which i hardly think they will. Jagex is a known conservative company that always tried to run things there own way instead of changing for there audience. Although i also believe Runescape doesn't need advertisement campaign as much as these new upcoming games. Jagex and there games have been a important part of gaming industry and reaching amazing goals such 200 Million registerations, 11 years old game and still continuing.

Runescape may not be a game we discuss with our friends but millions of people have played this game throughout all these years of Runescapes existence and its still pretty huge in my opinion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Airframer

Airframer

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I believe Jagex needs to keep runescape true to itself and not stray from it. I agree that Runescape is not a game that is particularly talked about with friends, but its a fun game that has been somewhat unchanged since its release. Runescape will live on because its simple to understand, and the map is not so freaking huge that it takes an hour to get somewhere lol.
Posted Image

#15 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostAirframer, on 25 December 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

I believe Jagex needs to keep runescape true to itself and not stray from it. I agree that Runescape is not a game that is particularly talked about with friends, but its a fun game that has been somewhat unchanged since its release. Runescape will live on because its simple to understand, and the map is not so freaking huge that it takes an hour to get somewhere lol.
An MMO can't afford to stay true to its origins, it'll become depressingly dull after a couple of years. Times change, people change with it. If the MMO doesn't change accordingly, it'll lose customers just as much as overly drastic changes.

Lauren's partner in crime forever ♥
You don't really learn to appreciate the things you have until it's gone.

#16 konka

konka

• RS Name:Stawnk
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

I was trying to work out how you compared one of the most popular FPS SHOOTERS on a console against a MMORPG that's played online.

Different market, different target audience & the reputation it's built itself from previous COD games.  RuneScape doesn't appeal to a public majority, it's a "gay" sort of game when you try and compare it to a real life-like shooting game.

Edited by konka, 25 December 2012 - 01:22 PM.

Posted Image

King Stawnk | 45 defence | 17 99's | 2,260 Overall

Pure forever

#17 Airframer

Airframer

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostCandy Cane, on 25 December 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostAirframer, on 25 December 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

An MMO can't afford to stay true to its origins, it'll become depressingly dull after a couple of years. Times change, people change with it. If the MMO doesn't change accordingly, it'll lose customers just as much as overly drastic changes.

I guess what I was trying to say is that... Runescape shouldn't try to become like WOW or Guild wars... Runescape can upgrade and make changes, but only so far.. You never want to lose your identity as a game, make what makes runecape great.... better
Posted Image

#18 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Runescape has more then one side, they have the storyline that lasts for a looong time (quests), the repetitive combat system(pking), getting achievements and points(making cash and getting skills up). Runescape is a nice balance of all of these styles and if they could market it more widely through more devices, then RS would be a exploding game.
Posted Image

#19 Kaur

Kaur

• Clan:RSD
  • Team:Team NH

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

http://www.mcvuk.com...d-blitz/0108648

Jagex have splash out half a million pounds on a Runescape TV and cinema marketing campaign.

Guess we'll see how that works out for them. Not exactly 100m but it's a start.
Posted Image
Coming soon from Jagex Software! Runescape, our massive multiplayer adventure. Trade and communicate with other players. Learn skills to earn money, or if you're brave attempt to find riches in the dungeons. Your charactor will continue to evolve and improve the more you play, with quests to complete for extra rewards. Choose good or evil the choice is entirely yours!

#20 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

• RS Status:Free

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

You're right in that it's poor marketing that contributes to RuneScape's slow demise as an MMO, but I don't agree that it has anything to do with the amount of money spent on advertising or the breadth of the audience it reaches. No, I believe RuneScape's marketing problem is the reputation it has: A kiddy, generic-themed, unsophisticated, repetitive, primitive chore, especially compared to games that lead the market in its genre. This gentleman hit the nail on the head:

View Postkonka, on 25 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

RuneScape doesn't appeal to a public majority, it's a "gay" sort of game when you try and compare it to a real life-like shooting game.

While we're on the subject of failure. RuneScape is dying primarily because it does not offer frequent or substantial enough novelty or progress-via-player-skill content, nor does it have ease of pick-up-and-play for newcomers. Without these two critical ingredients, it will eventually go extinct.

Edited by Vardarac, 26 December 2012 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: