Jagex seems to have this curse where nothing goes right for them since RuneScape. MechScape turned into StellarDawn and then that failed before it could even launch. 8Realms also failed and so did several other ventures that Jagex undertook.
Now, Jagex is trying it again with Hasbro's blessing. After the failures and also thanks to lessons learned from RuneScape recently, do you think Jagex is finally going to get it right with Transformers Universe?
Read on for newly released info:
News post from Zybez.net :
Edge Magazine has published an article that contains a bunch of new information about Transformers Universe. Here's what I found (compiled into a nice list for you):
- Transformers Universe (TFU) will be a battle-arena style (MOBA) game, more like League of Legends instead of like an MMORPG such as RuneScape.
- TFU will feature a story line but focus mainly around completing battles and moving from arena to arena.
- Players will be able to select five transformers and take them into battle, controlling one at a time
- Maps will be small featuring two opposing teams: one on the Autobots side and the other the Decepticons.
- The team that mines 1000 energon first wins. Individual players can choose to keep the energon for themselves or contribute it to the team.
- Terracons, the common enemy mob, will attack both Autubots and Decepticons that try to mine the energon.
- Energon will be used to purchase new transformer bots and upgrade existing ones. Energon is also used up when you die and need to spawn one of your transformers onto the map.
- Transformers bots will feature multiple slots for weapons, such as a hammer for melee, machine gun, and rockets. There will be abilities such as Smoke Screen to avoid being locked on by snipers and rockets. Weapons seen in the trailer: Chainsaw, Plasma gun (lasers/ray guns/beam lasers etc), Missiles, Mini gun, Hammer, Axe, Dual blades, Large Blade/sword, hand to hand combat, RPGs, Rifles.
- Transformers are also equipped with powers, such as an invisibility orb, which allows allies to see you but shields you from the sight of enemies, or a chaff mist, that protects you from incoming fire.
- Apparently Hasbro approached Jagex and asked to buy Jagex's failed-on-the-launchpad sci-fi game, MechScape (aka. StellarDawn), after which Jagex responded and said they prefer a partnership instead. So, TFU is the spiritual successor to MechScape and StellarDawn.
- There is various talent working on TFU since early 2011 when development started, including the personthat created the Grand Theft Auto logo and the guy that made the story line for Need for Speed: The Run.
- Browser-based, free-to-play MMO game.
- Release date unknown but guesstimated to be first half of 2013 with a beta before that. (beta sign-ups open on the official site)
- Set in the Transformers Prime universe but has its own open-ended story line.
- TFU will be constantly updated much like RuneScape is.
- Possibly HTML5 based graphics engine. (see screenshots below)
- Will launch with cars, motorbikes, and tanks. Eventually have dinobots, animals/beasts, and more.
- No actual gameplay video yet, but there is a trailer that uses footage from actual gameplay.
(Credits: Pliigi from SDC for finding some of these screenshots)
Official Site: http://www.transformersuniverse.com