• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

• RS Status:Member

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hey Guys,

So I was wondering, what are your ethics and what are your presumptions in Runescape, also what do you make of other people's ethics?

I avoid unethical behavior for instance, I don't shamelessly self-promote myself (too much : d), I don't scam, I never flame (on purpose) and I rarely get heated.
Some examples of unethical behavior could be I buy an item in the G.E and fail to sell it for a profit so I make a forum topic on how good it is, I don't judge those who gamble or spend their scape time in different ways. I found it hard to bring myself to banning people from my PKing teams (but when I did I made an example of them), and I presume that everything's fair game as long as your not hurting somebody else and you enjoy doing it (note: this is hard to apply to pking).

I have read through some topics today with people flaming and judging but for instance when I happen to see something like an
E-dater, I disapprove but I keep quiet and sometimes turn my public chat to friends.
Also, I don't bot, never have, never will even if it's allowed by Jagex (in some strange alternate universe). I take pride in my accomplishments and am disheartened by those who bot their 99's then act proud of it while knowing they did little to no work.

So my discussion question / topic is:

~What do you do if you see an activity you deem as unacceptable (and what are those activities?), also what do activities do you engage in that your not too proud of (be honest but not incriminating!)? What could you do you think could improve the overall morale of scapers and encourage fair and reasonably honest play.

Or is Runescape (in your opinion) an all out free-for-all?

I hope to see some interesting responses!

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#2 Maul_Says_Bi

Maul_Says_Bi
  • RS Name:Msb
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Normally I just ignore it, unless it is directly targeting me, than I'm more than happy to shrug it off and carry on with whatever I'm doing.
However, if it is targetted at me, I will usually just add them to ignore or hop worlds as there's no reason for me to get too involved over other peoples preferences over a video game. What they do in their spare time and who they talk to, how they treat them (e-dating, etc) is entirely up to them. I'd much rather the random players who are skilling near me cybering stayed content because I've hopped rather than ruin their day by saying something vulgar when it's really not needed when we have near 200 servers to play on.

Posted Image

Runescape Name: Msb.

Need a friend? Add me.

Best Personality (August 2013)

You can find me in: Exi Lobby FC

#3 Ban ki roon

Ban ki roon

7 Time RSC Award Winner *******

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

It's all about your individual perception. Ethics are nothing more on how you perceive and act upon certain views/actions.

What is unethical to me, may not be for you.

Personally in an online game, I don't bother to care or think about what is ethical. I do what ever it takes to have fun (well used to).

Secretary-General of the United Nations

#4 konka

konka

• RS Name:Stawnk
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

It's actually an interesting topic.
To me, utter and blatant racism for no reason really gets on my nerves - but in reality, what can I do to stop them? Tell the player who could be anywhere in the world that what he is saying is disrespectful and that I don't like it? What does it realistically gain? Reporting has been known to be very insignificant.

I just tend to ignore people who I find to be offensive, or looking to cause trouble.

Posted Image

King Stawnk | 45 defence | 17 99's | 2,260 Overall

Pure forever

#5 Fasty

Fasty

~tbh imo~

• RS Name:Fast993
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't really have 'ethics' for RuneScape, nor do I care about dealing with what others choose to do. It's the internet.

Posted Image

#6 Tee 3

Tee 3

d00d!

• RS Name:Tee 3
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Scamming and gambling, as well as outright racism or asinine behavior, generally irritate me to no end. I try my best to be a decent human being to other people by being friendly, trying not to steal spots (I'll usually hop instead of crashing slayer spots, etc. that real people are using), and not trying to start random flame wars with people. Botting also drives me off the deep end.

So basically in RS just as in real life I try to not be a total piece of trash to everyone else.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Zybez Blogs Team Member/Guides & Tips CL

Check out my Money-Making and Training for Pvm Guides!

#7 Tom08894

Tom08894

Remember: A full yak is a happy yak.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Scamming, flaming, racism etc. are things I never do, and I hate it if I see someone doing it. I'll usually tell them to stop, or, in the case of scamming, try to make others aware of the scam. When it comes to crashing, I usually try to avoid it. However, I'll crash someone if I can't find an empty spot after a few tries. Crashing is part of the game I think and adds a bit more competition to boring PvM.

Posted Image Warlord in Dutch Generation

Retired Posted Image Rorlord in Euphoria

Senior Member in Team Morphic

Ex-Warlord in Clan Europe

Awards

Spoiler

#8 Feelthef1re

Feelthef1re

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Although its still a game, we're still communicating with other people. So just like in real life, I try to avoid scamming and swearing.

In the mean time I try to have as much fun as I can :D

#9 Lafayette

Lafayette

Yuuki ♥

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

i don't care for the others. I'm not really talkative anyways.
Posted Image

#10 Duke Narked

Duke Narked

• RS Name:Nark the Dom

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Runescape sucks in terms of random players. Everyone has their e poners out and want to prove something. It's more sad than anything else, because half the idiots out their must get bullies and teased at school or something and when get home they have to take it out on the game. Everyone is bullet proof when there is hundred and hundreds of miles of cooper wiring between you and the guy you are insulting. I really hate the internet for that reason, and because of that Runescape is has to be one the worst games for it because of the target age.

Apart from that, I nothing really else annoys me or concerns me. There will be bots, no matter what. Scammers / lurers will always scam and those gambling hosts are now all bots now so atleast you know they are legit

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Well, seeing as how the community that got me hooked onto RuneScape has more or less dissipated, I don't know what to say. But, whatever:

What I find unacceptable is the following:

IN THE GRAND EXCHANGE
  • Spamming "hosting h/c x2" or something of the sort.
  • Begging for stuff
  • Ranting about how X sucks, how Y is stupid, or how Z is gay.
IN THE WILDERNESS (OR ANY OTHER PVP-ENABLED AREA)
  • DDOS-ing someone whilst PK-ing.
  • Killing your own friends and/or clan mates
IN DAEMONHEIM CASTLE
  • Spamming leech FCs
  • Advertising the buying/selling of floors
INSIDE A DUNGEON OF DAEMONHEIM
  • Lying to your team mates
  • Leeching
  • Not helping out with the boss fight
  • Quitting the dungeon prematurely
  • Hoarding food

#12 egap

egap

• RS Name:Egap El
  • Clan:+secret+

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I don't like seeing folk typing swearwords in the game.

In Real-Life, we all swear - it's a reaction to something.

In-game, swearing isn't natural, or a reaction - you actually have to decide to type that word! I reckon it's nearly always teenage boys who think it makes them seem older.

Don't think it'll ever stop, just don't like it.
Posted Image

#13 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postspoonheb, on 08 December 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

What could you do you think could improve the overall morale of scapers and encourage fair and reasonably honest play. Or is Runescape (in your opinion) an all out free-for-all?
RuneScape is definitely a free-for-all because I cannot imagine someone who is behaves ethically in game being unethical person in real life [and vice-versa]. It would be a real mission to change people's attitudes, and I do not see that ever happening for obvious reasons.

Posted Image

#14 qazbob12

qazbob12

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Most MMOs are competitive. But it varies somewhat. It can vary from a friendly " no grudge duel" to An all out flame war for Resources (I'm talking to you hunter [the skill], and WoW too.) It's how the game's system of communication affects the way people act to one another. Look at Wizard101 for instance, small amount of communication and basically no real way to interfere with resource farming causes people to like company and help eachother out, ALOT. In a game like Runescape, where something is typed everywhere and its point and click system to collect items makes it insanely competitive.
You could say in terms of resouces and friendlyness, Runescape is like a free-for-all. :sad:
sigh..... fighting for hunter spots kills me the most. (shudders) :-/
( i hope i didnt go too off topic)
what people call me online: simply Alca and barney.
of course, if you don't adapt, you won't survive.

#15 Vineyard_Vine

Vineyard_Vine

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I keep to myself to be honest. I try to engage in friendly conversation with things that interest me, or make small talk. I never try and start things with people on purpose, it makes me usually look ignorant in the end and doesnt benefit to the runescape community.
:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: