25 replies to this topic

#1 Loco.

Loco.
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:ayylmao

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

http://www.develop-o...inancial-report

May pose some new problems for RS, as another Jagex game closed down *8realms* which was considered one their more popular games.

Edited by LocoThugs, 07 December 2012 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Derp

Derp

hurr durr

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Doesn't surprise me, jagex don't rlly have the best luck in managing games, take a look at the path runescape has gone down & how the community isn't rlly listened to as much, if all, now.

-Sprinted; 99 Slayer; 17th July 2012; 130 Combat; Only other 99 being craft

#3 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Not too sure but wasn't 2012 Jagex's most profitable year? Dont quote me on that but I think people may be jumping to conclusions with this article. Although the player base in shrinking, micro transactions and the implementation of mandatory f2p ads has greatly increased their revenue.

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#4 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:No1 1000
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I don't think you can really call 8realms 'one of their more popular games'. I mean, yes, better than other efforts they've made, but still... popular?
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

#5 BrainiacOutcast

BrainiacOutcast

the FoG life chose me

• RS Name:Brain Ou

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I don't expect this to be an indicator of a disaster, though it's quite unusual for something like this to happen to such a high profile company.

Posted Image

Add me on League of Legends (NA/EUW) and Steam:
"BrainiacOutcast"

#6 Derp

Derp

hurr durr

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostNo1, on 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

I don't think you can really call 8realms 'one of their more popular games'. I mean, yes, better than other efforts they've made, but still... popular?

Agreed w/ you on that.

The only other game I tried out when it came out was funorb as I saw my friends on it & arcanists was sorta interesting & a break from rs back then. :p

-Sprinted; 99 Slayer; 17th July 2012; 130 Combat; Only other 99 being craft

#7 JohnLegend

JohnLegend

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

I wouldn't say this is a sign of a failing company, but maybe a sign of failing leadership; although I have strong bias against JaGex leadership since I used to be part of the clanning community,

#8 iReap

iReap

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Interesting. There is no good news here, being late on any type of payment bu two months is a bad sign. For a major developer, (even if they only have one good game), this is a huge deal. I'm interested to see what becomes of this.
Posted Image

#9 Fasty

Fasty

Merlin PK Leader

• RS Name:Fast993
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Not too surprised considering how low RuneScape (their only game that's even remotely popular as far as I know) has fallen as of late. EoC was a decent attempt to improve the situation, but at this point, I doubt anything will be successful.

Looking forward to a financial report if they ever release one.

Edited by Fasty, 07 December 2012 - 06:52 PM.

BOW DOWN OR FALL DOWN - #JKU

Posted Image

We do allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - Mod Fasty

#10 Fear Exile

Fear Exile

• RS Name:Fear Exile
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

They deserve to go bankrupt, listen to their paying customers they said! LOL

Paul M for CEO of Jagex! :D
·435 Likes

The Evolution of Combat - Mod Mark's Big 5.

Posted Image 1,955 Likes Posted Image 6,105 Dislikes

lol

Top 2 comments

Please, no. Listen to us, just for once. The majority do N O T want this update. Please, even if it is just running a different server with the current system (You dont even have to update it!), please think of alternatives to satisfy your customers. The community has asked politely. Please.
·4387 Thumbs Ups

jagex look at the dislikes, please no one wants eoc :D for once listern to your players ive been playing for 8 years and i dont want to quit but your pushing me here
·3077 Thumbs Ups

HAHAHA

Edited by Fear Exile, 07 December 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#11 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Zybez's Unofficial Brony Representative

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostiReap, on 07 December 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Interesting. There is no good news here, being late on any type of payment bu two months is a bad sign. For a major developer, (even if they only have one good game), this is a huge deal. I'm interested to see what becomes of this.
It's not a payment they're late on, its a financial report. Meaning they just haven't said how much they made since the last financial report. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#12 Dj Ju Fro

Dj Ju Fro

• RS Name:Dj Ju Fro
  • Team:#Fro

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostBrainiacOutcast, on 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

I don't expect this to be an indicator of a disaster, though it's quite unusual for something like this to happen to such a high profile company.
No offense but jagex and high profile shouldn't be used in a sentence unless its jagex isnt high profile

Dj Ju Fro- Max cape since 3/23/13

Max cape re-achieved 10/3/13

2595 achieved 10/11/13

Dj Ju- OSRS acc

#13 spoonheb

spoonheb

Friendly Ghost

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

It's not that unusual, with the EU going all over the place issues can arise, also another note is it may be difficult for them now having an office in the Americas because of different accounting practices. I seriously doubt you will see any change in the homepage or game itself because of this.

The micro-transactions and such are a natural progression of the game and it's not forced on anyone, a similar example would be Facebook games, you don't have to play Farmville but for some unknown reason a lot of people spend a lot of time playing that.

As for people saying Runescape is dying because a lot of their older players are quitting; Jagex is well aware these updates
discourage some older players but they don't need older players, they need newer players who have a greater lifetime value, more disposable cash and enough free time they will want a subscription for years to come.

I'm sure someone will say they're losing all their old players the game must be going straight down, if they can attract about one new player (younger) for two older players they are setting themselves up to keep the game running for much longer. If they only had people who are now growing older, going off to school and working their member base will decrease (this is what has actually been happening).

Jagex is employing a proven marketing technique, it may seem abstract to some but if done right it will greatly increase revenue and profit.

Edit: I'd also like to add (I don't know how this even became a question) Squeal of fortune is NOT gambling, if you win 200m and sell the gold you are breaking the terms & conditions, not winning big (real life) money.

Edited by spoonheb, 07 December 2012 - 10:37 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

~It's too late if it burns when you pee

#14 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

I would not be inclined to believe this is a bad sign, but two months is a lengthy period. Let us see what they come up with now that it is public knowledge.

Posted Image

#15 Duke Narked

Duke Narked

• RS Name:Nark the Dom

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

They still make more than me in a year, so they doing something right.

Pretty sure Jagex isn't a public listing company, so nothing is really going to happen is they don't show their finances. But who really cares, it would take a lot more to knock over Jagex to be honest. They still have a lot more going for them in the long run compared to many other gaming companies out there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostDj Ju Fro, on 07 December 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

Spoiler
No offense but jagex and high profile shouldn't be used in a sentence unless its jagex isnt high profile
JaGEx isn't only the largest independent developer and publisher in the United Kingdom and it definitely doesn't hold at least one Guiness World Record. It also isn't making a profit of £45 million annually. You're right, JaGEx isn't a high profile company at all.

Source: [X]

Edited by Lieutenant Dan, 08 December 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#17 MeTaL RoCK

MeTaL RoCK

Bleh

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

From what I understand Jagex now has to pay a fine of £750 because of late filing, which could also result in the director possibly facing the whip.
While highly unlikely, if Jagex fails to submit their annual accounts, the company could be removed from the Registrar of Companies.

Perhaps someone could format the following into a task list for Jagex:

To help you file on time:
  • Mark your diary or calendar to remind you in good time of the filing deadline(s);
  • Rread the filing reminders we send to your registered office;
  • If appropriate, instruct your accountants in good time and remind them of the need to prepare and deliver your accounts on time.

& Lol @ people attempting to analyse the financial state of Jagex from EoC/RS update. :woeh:

Posted Image

#18 Dj Ju Fro

Dj Ju Fro

• RS Name:Dj Ju Fro
  • Team:#Fro

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostLieutenant Dan, on 08 December 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Spoiler
JaGEx isn't only the largest independent developer and publisher in the United Kingdom and it definitely doesn't hold at least one Guiness World Record. It also isn't making a profit of £45 million annually. You're right, JaGEx isn't a high profile company at all.

Sorry didnt mean to offend you and your beloved 'JaGex'

Dj Ju Fro- Max cape since 3/23/13

Max cape re-achieved 10/3/13

2595 achieved 10/11/13

Dj Ju- OSRS acc

#19 MeTaL RoCK

MeTaL RoCK

Bleh

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostDj Ju Fro, on 08 December 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

View PostLieutenant Dan, on 08 December 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Spoiler

You're better off apologising for your ignorance, than a preconceived notion of his adoration. :-/

Edited by MeTaL RoCK, 08 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostDj Ju Fro, on 08 December 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Spoiler
Just because I point out the fallacy in your argument doesn't mean that I am a JaGEx yes-man. I agree that they're doing a piss-poor job of communicating with their player base at the moment and that they've been pretty controversial this past year in regards to updates. However, to deny them their accomplishments simply because you disagree with a policy change is wrong. I'm personally not a fan of Electronic Arts and refuse to purchase any of their products, but I won't deny that they are a very large and successful game publisher.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: