Are Rs Forums Polarized In Group-Think?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I know this sounds strange, but ever since before and since , EoC changed RS,  I have noticed more postings in Zybez's RS forums , specifically in the general discussion, by RS players expressing problems with EoC. In addition there has been a implied division of people who dont mind EoC but are tired of "hate change" issues of people who are frustrated with EoC. Now, I am just taking a temperature reading of everyone's thoughts - Its your right to post what you feel about EoC. Now, if you consider the replies to these postings about "hate change" issues - It seems to me, that a lot more people express their negative reactions to EoC than positive reactions. I will not go into details about why or not why - because that's now obvious. That's not the point I am trying to get to. Now lets consider the contrary on another website.

On RuneHQ, which uses a very different format for their website, uses the same forum software as Zybez. On their website , specifically their forum - I have read more positive reactions and less negative ones to EoC in contrast to Zybez. I have not found a lot of postings with issues of "hate change" issues. I am disregarding the fact that RuneHQ is a legitimate fan site registered with Jagex, but I don't think that makes a difference. I am pooling RuneHQ and Zybez members all together in general since we're all RS players no matter what RS website we use.

So what I found is that both of the websites Zybez and RuneHQ are polarized ( either for or against in the majority of their users ) in their expressions to how EoC has effected them.

Now, lets take Jagex's own forum on their website, which is not a remote forum website like RuneHQ or Zybez. Ever since EoC, there have been a flood of messages from users with very recalcitrant* based expressions by members of RS there, more than what I would read here. It seems to me that people who post on Jagex's own forums in their rage - are trying to , as I expressively put it , " make the biggest flames without being smoked out at the end" by using more than one posting to expand their short fused blaze.  

[ *note: recalcitrant is defined as ( by google ) : Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority.  In this context Jagex is the authority. ]

This is just my general observation of what I have been reading.

So, is it normal or unusual for RS forums, to develop a strange group-think like behavior, when an event such as a major change like EoC happens where a majority of the users stand out as against or for it?

I remember on Zybez, we went through as similar reaction when Jagex modified RS with Runespan.

I'm sure the moderators here, will have a greater insight to what polarization they have noticed too.

Thank you.

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

Ive changed my "about me" - to about you.

#2 Swellington

Swellington

• RS Name:Swelly
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Fatality

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I think the word that answers your question is 'audience'

on RSC people talk to fellow rs members, former community members etc.
on RSOF people (think they) are talking to Jagex staff.

...so, are you going to complain on RSC/RUNEHQ about an update (where no one will care about someone thinking Jagex made another bad update) or are you going to go on RSOF and try to make a change or w/e you think might happen.

Edited by Swellington, 02 December 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#3 Magick

Magick

outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

RSC appears to be more against the EoC because this is where clanning is done, and clanners constitute the majority of the ones affected by the update. I can only imagine RuneHQ is the reverse, so where the majority are skillers and such, the impact is much less. Hence, fewer complaints.

The poster above is correct about RSOF.

Edited by Magickal, 03 December 2012 - 03:35 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

View PostSwellington, on 02 December 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I find that really funny, that people on RSOF think they are talking to Jagex staff - when in the first place the website is not even affiliated or employed with Jagex staff, such as RuneHQ. However, I could repeat that comment for even Jagex's own forum, where people think they are talking to Jagex staff, when in fact, most of the messages that most people post on Jagex forums may not even be completely read by Jagex moderators. Skimming is done alot.

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

#5 Ban ki roon

Ban ki roon

7 Time RSC Award Winner *******

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Most RSC's population on forums are from clans I'd say. RHQ is the oposite.

Clanners were hurt from this crap update, Skillers weren't.

Secretary-General of the United Nations

#6 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostMagickal, on 03 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

RSC appears to be more against the EoC because this is where clanning is done, and clanners constitute the majority of the ones affected by the update. I can only imagine RuneHQ is the reverse, so where the majority are skillers and such, the impact is much less. Hence, fewer complaints.

RuneHQ does have a section for Clans and recuiting Clan members. How diverse it is compared to Zybez - I do not know.

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

#7 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostKathy, on 03 December 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

View PostMagickal, on 03 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

RuneHQ does have a section for Clans and recuiting Clan members. How diverse it is compared to Zybez - I do not know.
Well, compare the number of posts in those sections.

Posted Image

#8 konka

konka

• RS Name:Stawnk
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

...so, are you going to complain on RSC/RUNEHQ about an update (where no one will care about someone thinking Jagex made another bad update) or are you going to go on RSOF and try to make a change or w/e you think might happen.

Hit the nail on the head.

Also the majority of posters on these forums are of a higher age group, and generally speaking more mature.  RSOF, the older people have been around long enough to know complaining will get you nowhere whereas the newer generation haven't been around to experience that yet.

Posted Image

King Stawnk | 45 defence | 17 99's | 2,260 Overall

Pure forever

#9 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postkonka, on 03 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

Also the majority of posters on these forums are of a higher age group, and generally speaking more mature.  RSOF, the older people have been around long enough to know complaining will get you nowhere whereas the newer generation haven't been around to experience that yet.

So basically your telling me that Zybez is populated by immature RS players!? I find that hard to believe, because I have not gotten that impression. I only get that impression from some of the RS players that posted their complaints about EoF on Jagex's own website around Nov 21.

Edited by Kathy, 03 December 2012 - 04:32 AM.

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

#10 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• RS Name:ToeJam

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostKathy, on 03 December 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

View Postkonka, on 03 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

So basically your telling me that Zybez is populated by immature RS players!? I find that hard to believe, because I have not gotten that impression. I only get that impression from some of the RS players that posted their complaints about EoF on Jagex's own website around Nov 21.

I'd suggest re-reading, but I'll break it down for you:

RSOF is posted on by players who do not yet realise that their opinions are most likely to be ignored/over-looked.

On Zybez however, most of the player base are late teens to mid 20's. It's debatable whether they are more or less mature though :whistle:

Posted Image

#11 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

He said we're more mature. CD would be the exception, but that's only because it's a heated place to start off with by nature anyway.

I find that really funny, that people on RSOF think they are talking to Jagex staff - when in the first place the website is not even affiliated or employed with Jagex staff, such as RuneHQ.
You meant the other way around I assume?

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#12 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostMurdoc, on 03 December 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

He said we're more mature. CD would be the exception, but that's only because it's a heated place to start off with by nature anyway.

I find that really funny, that people on RSOF think they are talking to Jagex staff - when in the first place the website is not even affiliated or employed with Jagex staff, such as RuneHQ.
You meant the other way around I assume?

There are no Jagex staff that answer AFAIK to the posts of RSOF - they only answer and respond to posts of Jagex's forum.
Secondly the responder was talking about RSOF having more mature people - that is how I interpreted it.

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

#13 brian01001

brian01001

Former Vent Mod RIP

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostToeJam, on 03 December 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

RSOF is posted on by players who do not yet realise that their opinions are most likely to be ignored/over-looked.
As an RSoF poster :wallbash:....  Launches a nuke at ToeJams house. :evil:

On a serious note though, I do disagree with this because while there are allot of people on the RSoF that do not care and spam, there are also allot of users that do use those forums serious and care for others opinions. Also you have to consider that even though you might not see a response from a Jmod all the time on there, they do read a majority of the threads and consider the serious posts. I guess it's hard to spot out the serious users as the amount of spam and rage posting blends them in with the crowd.

View PostKathy, on 03 December 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

There are no Jagex staff that answer AFAIK to the posts of RSOF - they only answer and respond to posts of Jagex's forum.
I think you are confused here. RSoF is the official forum. (RSoF = RuneScape Official Forum). There are a whole bunch of Jmods from multiple teams on there that reply to posts.

Edited by brian01001, 03 December 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Hate it Posted Image or love it Posted Image, I'm still #1.
Posted Image

Posted Image lmfao XD

We make our own monsters and they come back to haunt us.

《〠_〠》......here lies some suspicious link that you know deep down you want to click on.......

#14 Soulless

Soulless

The guy whose name no one can remember

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

The way I see it is that the ORSF are full of self-entitled and self-righteous kids who think the world revolves around them and everyone owes them. I would also say the same about the RS YouTube community (RSTYC) with all those flamboyantly self-righteous videos they post up in protest about the EoC :rolleyes:.
As for Zybez, I see a lot of haters for the EoC around here, but they seem mature and give a more constructed form of complaint and feedback than the self-proclaimed martyrs and freedom fighters on the ORSF and RSTYC.

The ORSF are in such tatters, I don't even take them seriously anymore or even give people serious replies :no:... There are some good people in there, but they're far and in-between.

Edited by Soulless, 04 December 2012 - 01:16 AM.

Class > Swag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: