From now on, the array of gameplay enhancements and improvements that the Evolution of Combat brings - as described here - are yours to use in the live game. New features such as adrenaline, abilities and the all-new action bar - not to mention dual wielding, distinct combat styles and damage-type resistance and vulnerability - add fathoms of depth to RuneScape's combat system.
Even those of you who prefer a peaceful life will find plenty to pique your interest: the action bar can be used for speedy resource gathering and skill training, and the new Make X Production Interface streamlines skilling like never before.
When you first log in after the update, you'll notice the following:
- You will be teleported to one of nine banks, in safe areas within the free-to-play zone.
- Any items that you had equipped prior to the update will be de-equipped and placed into your inventory.
- If your inventory is full, your items will be moved to the bank. Everyone now has 15 additional bank slots, to ensure that there will be enough space.
- Depleted prayer points will be fully restored.
- Any claw weapons you have will be converted into a main-hand claw and an off-hand claw.
- Your task total will have been recalculated. This is the result of certain tasks, which are no longer relevant with the Evolution of Combat launch, being removed from the game and replaced with newer equivalents.
- Many items of equipment have different level requirements. However most of these changes are on equipment below level 50 skill requirement, and few high level items are affected.
- Be sure to stop by the Combat Academy in Lumbridge for a whistle-stop tour of the EoC's key features. Even if you've already done so in the beta, it'll be a valuable refresher - not to mention that you'll earn combat XP rewards for acing Lady Deathknell's combat tests! A session at the Combat Academy's a good idea even if you're planning to go old-school with auto-attacks and the Momentum ability, as you'll still need to know how damage types work, and how the combat triangle has been affected by the change.
- All poisoned items - such as the dragon dagger p++ - have been converted to their unpoisoned versions. Poison no longer exists in the game, having been replaced by damage-over-time abilities.
- Spellboxes earned as a reward from Dungeoneering have been removed, and their cost in Dungeoneering tokens refunded.
- The Dungeoneering token cost of the Dungeoneering-specific prayers Augury and Rigour has been refunded, where purchased. These are now unlocked at the same time that the Piety prayer is unlocked.
- PK skulls no longer exist as a game mechanic. Any existing from before the update have been removed.
- Diseases are also no longer a part of the game. Again, any existing from before the update have been removed.
Naturally, development of the combat system itself will continue, as with any key part of the game. Since the last beta build, we've implemented boosts to the effectiveness of stat-boosting prayers and potions, as well as improving your hit chance while fighting against a combat style that you're weak or neutral against. We won't stop there, so keep the feedback coming and we'll keep working to ensure that RuneScape combat is always as deep, rewarding and downright spectacular as it should be.
Above all, enjoy the Evolution of Combat - you've earned it!
The RuneScape Team
In Other News
- Weapon overrides in Solomon's General Store have been updated to work in both the main and off hands, with separate selections possible for each hand.
- The following override and weapon type combinations do not currently work in the off-hand. We are working on implementing a fix for these as soon as possible. In the meantime, we apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience. All other combinations should work as intended, but please submit a bug report if you encounter anything out of the ordinary that's not listed here:
- Scorching Axe: hatchet
- Pactbreaker Longsword: scimitar
- Assassin Scimitar: straight-bladed swords listed here.
- Dwarven Warsuit Longsword: scimitar
- Seaborne Blade: short sword
- Cleaver of Tsutsaroth: scimitar
- If you like your kills visceral, you'll love the gloriously gory brutal weaponry reskins, now available from Solomon's General Store!
- Graphical improvements to existing weapons, previously only available in the Evolution of Combat Beta, are now live in the game. These cover weapons from bronze, right up to dragon.
- Those of you waiting for your Mad Scientist outfits and/or your Combat Academy survey XP rewards will receive them later this week.
Discuss this here.