My Initial Thoughts Of The Eoc

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jimb0b

Jimb0b

Lets Party

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I have played for quite some time without actually trying the Evolution of Combat. Hearing yesterday that I could obtain a lamp for completion of the Combat Academy and survey, last night I gave it a shot. I have thought for a longtime that there was things in the game that were not supposed to work the way they do and I hope this update fixes most of them.

The Evolution of Combat is a graphics update within itself. I think the EoC will make Runescape a more legit contender of games such as Everquest or World of Warcraft. I think a few of my real life buddies will come back to the game too as it will be seen as more legit.

I also don't quite mind the loss of special attacks as stuff such as Adrenaline, Combos, and Abilities were added. I furthermore think this will add more of a skill element to pking over just stats, luck, and timing which are all apart of the pking scene still. Dual Wielding probably will be pretty cool also, but a shield probably has added bonuses so I wont whip out dual rapiers just yet.

Combat level and loss of pure accounts I generally don't care about. The game wasn't meant to be played like that anyway. I remember when I found this game I thought pure accounts were a combat loophole, which is generally still true. Quests, armour, weapons and item requirements are all evidence that this game wasn't meant to be played at 1, 20, 45, or 70 defence.  I think we better all be prepared for the next few coming weeks. This game I had started at 9 years old certainly has evolved for the better I hope. I look forward to this update with anticipation.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Posted Image

Posted Image

~Proud atheist troll~

#2 Panicking

Panicking

Ex-Maxed out 35 Defence

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I somewhat look forward to this update as well but kinda sad that pures won't be as effective as before.  Gives it a new feeling to playing RuneScape, which I'm okay with as it might give what you say some of my friends who quit back :p

Panicking

#3 SG Knight

SG Knight

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Prefer a simple combat system as it is now(RS2) So much graphical updates and making the combat system more complicated...i Don't support EOC
I have removed your signature as it breaks the forum rules. Please read this thread for details.
-Justin
Spoiler

#4 konka

konka

• RS Name:Stawnk
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'll try it regardless.

I don't care what people think/say about low defence - it's fun, and always has been.  I will stay 45 defence for the mean time regardless of how it affects me in PvP and just skill and then eventually go main.  I don't like the idea of this new training though, will definitely make training combat a lot harder (45-99 def) will take a lot longer and more attention to detail then once previous.

Posted Image

King Stawnk | 45 defence | 17 99's | 2,260 Overall

Pure forever

#5 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

View Postkonka, on 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

I'll try it regardless.

I don't care what people think/say about low defence - it's fun, and always has been.  I will stay 45 defence for the mean time regardless of how it affects me in PvP and just skill and then eventually go main.  I don't like the idea of this new training though, will definitely make training combat a lot harder (45-99 def) will take a lot longer and more attention to detail then once previous.

If anything it'll make training easier.

"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

#6 zxpurekillxz

zxpurekillxz

• RS Name:Zxpurekillxz
  • Clan:None

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Its worth a shot, but the game we all fell in love with is ending, this is a new company, and a new game, best of luck to all who try it
Posted Image
Proud Christian Since 93
Posted Image

#7 konka

konka

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostJay, on 19 November 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

I'll try it regardless.

I'm struggling to see how, in the old RS you could AFK whilst attacking and gain fast exp, whereas in the new RS you need to be constantly using abilities to get damage/second rate up to gain that exp.

Posted Image

Pure forever

#8 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Postkonka, on 20 November 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I'll try it regardless.

I'm struggling to see how, in the old RS you could AFK whilst attacking and gain fast exp, whereas in the new RS you need to be constantly using abilities to get damage/second rate up to gain that exp.

THERE'S SOMETHING CALLED MOMENTUM THAT LETS YOU AFK.

I've been afking at ape atoll for almost 2 hours and I've gained nearly 2,5 million magic experience and I've ONLY used abilities to get full adrenaline every 20 minutes to use momentum.

#9 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:No1 1000
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostJay, on 20 November 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

I've been afking at ape atoll for almost 2 hours and I've gained nearly 2,5 million magic experience and I've ONLY used abilities to get full adrenaline every 20 minutes to use momentum.
How are you training, burst? -Tip it up.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

#10 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostNo1, on 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

How are you training, burst? -Tip it up.

Been barraging. It's insanely cheap now with the prices of the crashed runes.

#11 Blake

Blake

manacrew

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

It's a refreshing change to the game that will hopefully provide a more enjoyable experience for newcomers as the old systems grind was far too long for what it was and the changes will be interesting and fun enough for existing players. It in no way makes it a contender against a game such as World of Warcraft and the likes though - that ship sailed long ago, well, would of, it was never really there.

At the end of the day people are afraid of change. Some people also just need to grow up. This game is marketed for young teens and people need to wake up and realize this.

Posted Image

King of Private Message Suspensions: One | Two | Three

#12 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I've sunk in too much time into this game to quit now. If I quit now, that'll be six years I'll never get back.

#13 konka

konka

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

View Postkonka, on 20 November 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I'll try it regardless.

THERE'S SOMETHING CALLED MOMENTUM THAT LETS YOU AFK.

I see, I see.  Thanks for that.

Posted Image

Pure forever

#14 iReap

iReap

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I actually quite like the update. The weapon based combat is actually relativey unique, as opposed to mmo's such as WoW. I left the game.in the first place because it was getting to be a chore; just sit and right click for four hours each level. The combat update adds both substance and something to keep me busy while I train. Knowing what to use when will sepperate the boys from the men so to speak, and going "Hurt durr push all the buttons" will only get you so far.

~iReap
Posted Image

#15 dark knight

dark knight

• RS Name:Weltall 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

This update is really interesting and breathes life into the game in a way that many other updates haven't. This is also the first time I have trained range since I can remember that also includes using ancient spells for combat.

It does mirror other games to some extent but all games tend to mirror each other anyways. It is slightly irrelevant if another game already has a certain piece of content. Perhaps the only thing I don't like about it is that for the most part using abilities is simply a faceroll once the timers are set appropriately and a rhythm is found. It reminds of of using a hunter on WoW since no matter what monster I fought it really was all the same.

That said, the current system is much better than the click.....wait......click.....wait....click....wait combat system we had. I have tried using momentum a few times and using the old combat system but can't bring myself to keep it up for more than a minute or so. Overall, it is a good update that requires a lot of planning and thinking before getting to monsters.
Posted Image

#16 Aloof

Aloof

Crazy- but only just.

• RS Name:Tear Asunder
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I don't know if I like the update or not. I feel like I'm whiffing more spells than usual, even with a set of spider armor (...probably should have gotten defence to 50 beforehand). If you're AFKing, momentum is almost a must-need; damage without it is horribly pathetic. I think the option to do either--momentum or ability--is modestly balanced. Of course, magic is SUPER cheap now, so I can finally get along with that fire blast achievement I've been too lazy to settle.

I don't like that the lesser demon upstairs in the Wizards' Tower can strike back; that seems counterintuitive to the purpose of locking up a demon for target practice.

I feel squishier than I used to (though that might just be a perceptive fault). Maybe that's because I have that thought in the back of my head that tells me that protection prayers don't work absolutely anymore (and yes, I've always been one of THOSE people). To be fair, though, I haven't touched prayer to much extent, so there's that.

There's also something amiss with the combat experience coding. In the cave south of Port Sarim, a pirate and a hobgoblin are roughly the same level, as well as similar health pools (I think). Yet, when I kill them, the pirate gives about a quarter of what the hobgoblin gives.

In all, it's really a mixed bag. Stuff like disease and poison were all but tossed out the window (which I kind of liked as a member; drinking a poison potion seems less exciting, and also probably contextually idiotic), and weapons have become a bit more drab. It does put many players on a more even setting, though, as everyone has access to abilities, even if they don't have access to certain weapons.

Also, why isn't healing a non-member's thing? That's disappointing, but I guess food will suffice.

I haven't tried food yet; I'll have to see what that's all about later.
I went to sleep and woke from my nightmare.

#17 Nebbo 67

Nebbo 67

Im A KO Monster - CoR P2P Warlord

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Still not seeing how people claim EOC makes pvp take more skill.

All it is now is spamming abilities, Ive destroyed everyone I have attacked and I don't have a clue what I am doing apart from spamming abilities at random l0l.

Old system took so much more skill to be succesfull, either that or im just a beast.

CoR since 10.05.05 Posted Image CoR since 10.05.05
Click for my PK videos (1-5 OLD WILDY): [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

#18 gkitti

gkitti

Seme

• RS Name:gkitti
  • Clan:ZybezNet

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Again, I will say that so far I am very pleased with the fact that I can do slayer tasks without the ned for so much food. The regeneration skill is a very big plus for me. As far as spamming abilities, I know I can use the momentum skill if I choose, but honestly I have been having alot of fun setting up different ability bars and trying different combos.
Before i would go camp in a spot and before long I was dosing between clicks after a short time.
Now I actually breeze through tasks without getting bored or sleepy.
My only complaint is the impact it has on pvp warring.

Edited by gkitti, 22 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Posted Image
Anarchy HC 2004-2007
Proud Corruption ending member

#19 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostNebbo 67, on 22 November 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Still not seeing how people claim EOC makes pvp take more skill.

All it is now is spamming abilities, Ive destroyed everyone I have attacked and I don't have a clue what I am doing apart from spamming abilities at random l0l.

Old system took so much more skill to be succesfull, either that or im just a beast.

It's luck, then.

There's 3 "classes" of stuns. Each one shares a cooldown. Each stun lasts 3 seconds. This means you can stun someone for 9 seconds straight.

Someone who can pile up their adrenaline, stun you, pop a threshold ability, stun you, pop a basic to restore adrenaline, stun you, then pop an ultimate could easily unload 4000+ damage to you before you could even react.

A good player will easily destroy people in the EoC without putting much thought into it.

#20 Aloof

Aloof

Crazy- but only just.

• RS Name:Tear Asunder
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

If there's one thing to abhor in the update, it is undoubtedly the experience system. A good lot of experience is lackluster (although this may be because I'm killing stuff way weaker than I, F2P world problems), and the lack of experience sharing makes it not worth the time to help someone kill their quarry (contradictory to their whole multi-combat area thing, isn't it?).

Edit: The quick-healing banks are a nice touch, though.

Edited by Reluctance, 22 November 2012 - 03:51 PM.

I went to sleep and woke from my nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: