Your Thoughts On Solo Dung Update

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 The Major

The Major

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

So RSC, what are your thoughts on the new Solo Dungeoneering update?

Leech FCs and independent floor sellers now have even more competition. Why shell out your hard-earned (or not-so-hard-earned) gp when you can do floors yourself? Solo medium floors deeper than F25 now give better XP rates, and once you breach the occult floors, the XP is more or less comparable to the same floor done on large under similar XP conditions.

There's always that matter that it's AFK and that you don't have to do much except emote doors and lever rooms (might vary depending on who's selling), but still, you're paying roughly 1m to 10m for what is basically 15 minutes to an hour's worth of just AFK-ing. There's also the matter that the amount you pay for each floor stacks up, so sometimes paying for floors might not be advantageous.

Edited by Project 2501, 18 November 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

• RS Name:Jimdm3
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:ZybezNet

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

This is more of a discussion topic. Moved to General Discussion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:No1 1000
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Personally, I will not be sad to see floor selling become a thing of the past. I don't expect to see it die out entirely, though.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams [Confirmation Bias]

#4 The Major

The Major

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I thought it was in General Discussion :o

My bad :|

#5 Daviddts

Daviddts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think it was a long awaited update. Players have been upset since the release that they were "forced" into a group for the best XP, although the best XP still lies in groups it's still a lot better XP and such for soloing than in the past. Also, I don't really care how it affects leeching (Sorry if that offends anyone), I dislike content where players can gain levels by just sitting there, it was really just a matter of time (If Jagex wanted to support the demands of the community) before leeching was slightly taken off tracks from the past state.

#6 TheChronos

TheChronos

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'm really excited about the update! I hated finding groups for dunging and prefer to just solo because sometime if I'm feeling more lazy I might fish in a few spots or leave for an hour. I can do whatever I want without the risk of losing my group. Soloing was horid exp before and I was about lvl 65 or dung before the update, I've been dunging a lot and am now 76.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Going for 99 dung as my first 99 :)

#7 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I think it was a great update on the part of Jagex. Selling floors is for people that have that kind of luxury to AFK train Dungeoneering, but the price they pay warranted by the amount. They may pay ~10m an hour for Dungeoneering, but that's because they have that kind of money and are willing to dish it out for such a skill. This update caters more to people who like training Dungeonering casually and without having to go through with finding a party to actually get a good XP rate for Dungeoneering. This has opened people's eyes to Dungeoneering rather than avoiding a skill that requires such diligence like memorizing Dungeoneering terms, how to do all puzzles, AFK when something important has come up and not to devote that much time into a Dungeoneering Floor.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 NeverMaxed

NeverMaxed

• RS Name:NeverMaxed

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I also am very happy with this new update! Now i can finally solo (which is my preference since i discovered how horrible finding a team in w32 is ) without losing a ton of xp in the process. Jagex did really well on updating this in my opinion.
Posted Image

#9 Rosstitution

Rosstitution

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Quite a useful update, i just take my time doing my own floors and clearing it of resources.
Posted Image

#10 The Major

The Major

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostNeverMaxed, on 18 November 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

I also am very happy with this new update! Now i can finally solo (which is my preference since i discovered how horrible finding a team in w32 is ) without losing a ton of xp in the process. Jagex did really well on updating this in my opinion.

w32 is horrible >_> so many noobs, bots, scammers, and leech clans

Edited by Project 2501, 18 November 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#11 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Doesn't affect me really, since team floors will still be faster\better xp per hour but it's good for people that don't want to bother with other people. I haven't really tested out the experience from solo floors but I've heard it's quite nice.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#12 BrotherVoid1

BrotherVoid1

Retired Completionist

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostProject 2501, on 18 November 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

once you breach the occult floors, the XP is more or less comparable to the same floor done on large under similar XP conditions.-
Mmmm... I disagree on this count.  I did f60 as a medium and finished at ~13 mins (slow, flame me later), granting me 101k XP.  The same floor as a large would have been completed in the same amount of time, but given me 198-206k XP.  The same concept holds true for all floors really... It's about 1/2 the XP gained for the same amount of time spent.  It is still smarter to buy floors or do floors yourself with a team, just not a REQUIREMENT to train the skill.  I personally don't really like the update, as it is just making a dead skill even more dead.  I can see why some people love it though.  It is difficult to work your way into the community unless you're dedicated (aka, are willing to learn and want to apply to somewhere like DGS).

That being said, the community is the biggest reason of why I still DG.  I love working through floors with friends, seeing how fast we can get them done.  It's pretty relaxing to me...  I guess if other people aren't into that, so be it, but I don't think that a major skill rework (or XP buff) is necessarially the answer to try to get people to level the skill.  There are more people who are 200m DG than any other stat in the game, even though it was released most recently.  The problem isn't the XP rate or the way to level the skill, the problem is the way it is being trained.  S/L is a major problem within the DG community.  Am I a bit of a hypocrite in saying that?  Sure.  I've profited billions and funded not only my own maxing, but the maxing of two other accounts through selling floors.  Is it still ruining the community?  Absolutely.  If Jagex could add in some form of activity requirement or XP nerf for those who leech (get the leecher title, don't leave base, etc), I would be significantly more happy.  Even if leechers were required to skill, at least they aren't completely AFK.

I think that this update was unnecessary and the wrong way to look at the situation.  Fix the leeching situation.  Add more incentives (rewards, floors, areas, whatever works...) to DG.  Don't just make it easier to bot (since there are DG bots out there that work on solo floors).  Actually fix the problem, not just add to it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 The Major

The Major

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostBrotherVoid1, on 18 November 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostProject 2501, on 18 November 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

once you breach the occult floors, the XP is more or less comparable to the same floor done on large under similar XP conditions.-
Mmmm... I disagree on this count.  I did f60 as a medium and finished at ~13 mins (slow, flame me later), granting me 101k XP.  The same floor as a large would have been completed in the same amount of time, but given me 198-206k XP.  The same concept holds true for all floors really... It's about 1/2 the XP gained for the same amount of time spent.  It is still smarter to buy floors or do floors yourself with a team, just not a REQUIREMENT to train the skill.  I personally don't really like the update, as it is just making a dead skill even more dead.  I can see why some people love it though.  It is difficult to work your way into the community unless you're dedicated (aka, are willing to learn and want to apply to somewhere like DGS).

That being said, the community is the biggest reason of why I still DG.  I love working through floors with friends, seeing how fast we can get them done.  It's pretty relaxing to me...  I guess if other people aren't into that, so be it, but I don't think that a major skill rework (or XP buff) is necessarially the answer to try to get people to level the skill.  There are more people who are 200m DG than any other stat in the game, even though it was released most recently.  The problem isn't the XP rate or the way to level the skill, the problem is the way it is being trained.  S/L is a major problem within the DG community.  Am I a bit of a hypocrite in saying that?  Sure.  I've profited billions and funded not only my own maxing, but the maxing of two other accounts through selling floors.  Is it still ruining the community?  Absolutely.  If Jagex could add in some form of activity requirement or XP nerf for those who leech (get the leecher title, don't leave base, etc), I would be significantly more happy.  Even if leechers were required to skill, at least they aren't completely AFK.

I think that this update was unnecessary and the wrong way to look at the situation.  Fix the leeching situation.  Add more incentives (rewards, floors, areas, whatever works...) to DG.  Don't just make it easier to bot (since there are DG bots out there that work on solo floors).  Actually fix the problem, not just add to it.

why is it that whenever void speaks, i look like a blathering fool? I've actually went out of my way to do this. I've compared/contrasted the XP results I got from two floors (28 and 29) on a 4-suicde-1-leech (the leech being myself) team vs. solo. I don't have the screencap for leech, because I forgot to take it. However, here's the result for the solo med.

4-suicide-1-leech = 34k xp for that floor (this was 28, took about 20 minutes)
1-man solo med = 22k xp for that floor (this was 29, took slightly longer because I was flicking between Facebook and SwiftKit)

Apparently, according to this, you get about 35% less XP  for doing a solo med than you do with a 4-suicide-1-leech large.

Posted Image

Edited by Project 2501, 19 November 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#14 Nebbo 67

Nebbo 67

Im A KO Monster - CoR P2P Warlord

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

I don't understand why solo dung was not a viable option from the beginning, and that its taken them so long to actually fix the issue.

CoR since 10.05.05 Posted Image CoR since 10.05.05
Click for my PK videos (1-5 OLD WILDY): [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

#15 BrotherVoid1

BrotherVoid1

Retired Completionist

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostNebbo 67, on 19 November 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

I don't understand why solo dung was not a viable option from the beginning, and that its taken them so long to actually fix the issue.
The most efficient method of training a skill requiring more than one person is an issue?  For a long while, it promoted a sense of community in Daemonheim (and was arguably... fun...).  Why do you think this is a problem?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Voaz

Voaz

Since 2004.

• RS Name:Voaz

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

I'm happy with it, really.
Dungeoneering at the lower levels is a pain in the ass ( for new players it was )
Once it was like 80, solo-ing was becoming a bit good XP but 5:5's were way much more XP.
Don't you ever wonder, how we survive?

#17 Magick

Magick

outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

I have not tried it myself, but I suppose it only made sense for them to do this given, due to the activity of the game, it is probably harder than ever to find a team now. Though, preferred it when it was in its previous state because that made dungeoneering stand out in comparison to other skills for obvious reasons. I, however, do like that you can only still get the paramount xp by completing floors in large teams, so there is nothing really to complain about from me.

Posted Image

#18 Jaddy

Jaddy

Agility freak

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

i think this is good. like jagex said in the bts vid they said that its only worth it for people with large times over 30 minutes. this will not kill s/l'ing, simply because floor times are faster than that. and many of the players that leech leech to not have to play the skill, not to avoid teams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#19 Daviddts

Daviddts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostBrotherVoid1, on 19 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

View PostNebbo 67, on 19 November 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

The most efficient method of training a skill requiring more than one person is an issue?  For a long while, it promoted a sense of community in Daemonheim (and was arguably... fun...).  Why do you think this is a problem?

I do have to agree with this aspect being a leader in a Dungeoneering FC grouping can be fun if you get with good people and a chat who keeps leeches and so on banned or kick on sight. So I can say I'm happy leeching may be cut down but not excited about less grouping.

#20 zoth01

zoth01

• RS Name:crovaxx07
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I don't really mind getting 1/2 of the exp in large groups, for most people without +100 dg lvl, it's actually better to solo than to spam for a team that almost always consist in a group of mindless chickens wandering around the dung.

I know dung is still considered to be a group skill, but as a skill, people will always go there, even if it's for the rewards or the 99 cape. That's why I'm pleased they did this and announced for 2013 dung like bossing scenarios. I think they should had done this for quite some time :P

I am everything I want to be, I am a Lucid Dreamer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: