Evolution Of Combat: Pvp Tips

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

The upcoming launch of the Evolution of Combat will give PvPers the opportunity to try out some new techniques and approaches to combat. If you haven’t tried out PvP in RuneScape before, then the launch of the EoC will be a good opportunity to get into the Duel Arena, as the new abilities and action bar will add more tactical variety and options than ever before.

This video from ChrisArchie’s channel gives a commentary on the different ways you can approach PvP in the EoC.

The RuneScape Team

Discuss this here.

"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

#2 Xtrm

Xtrm

(ง •̀_•́)ง

• RS Name:Xtrm
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Team:Sad Unit

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I don't like PvP on the current system or the new system. I doubt that will change much.

Posted Image

#3 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

He seemed really lacking in a lot of basic abilities to spam, but I guess that's the new way to PK (?)Not too sure about PK nowadays, but I can see the needed change.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's really not that difficult of a concept. Lock down your opponent with stuns, and then blow them up before they can get out of the stun.

For example, with melee:

Backhand (3 sec stun, basic) -> Havok (125% weapon damage w/ both weapons, basic) -> Barge (3 sec stun, basic) -> Fury (150% of 6 sec autoatk damage, basic) -> Kick (3 sec stun, basic) -> Frenzy (20% max HP every 2 sec, for 10 sec)

All the lead-ins to the ultimate are basics, so by the time you get to the ultimate you'll have enough adrenaline, they'll be stuck in a stun for 9 seconds straight, and the Frenzy combined with autoattack, Havok, and Fury damage- just use that chain when the target is at about 50% HP, and they're down.

How about with range? Well, you'll be in melee for the most part anyways, so we can throw a few melee abilities that don't rely on your weapon choice into the mix.

Fragmentation Shot (250% weapon damage over 6 sec, increased if target moves, basic) -> Escape (force them to move to buff FragShot, basic) -> Binding Shot (3 sec stun, 20 sec bind, basic) -> Snipe (219% weapon damage, 3 sec channel (use during stun), basic) -> Kick (3 sec stun, basic) -> Piercing Shot (157% weapon damage) -> Backhand (3 sec stun, basic) -> Incendiary Shot (30% of target's max HP, dealt 3 seconds after shot hits, ultimate)

Again, a big stun chain with lots of damage in the middle, culminating in a 30% hit. Pop that chain when the target is at about 60% HP, gf.

Freedom is gonna be the big important ability in the EoC, as it clears stuns and renders immunity to further stuns for 6 seconds, and has a 30 second cooldown. You're gonna wanna do things like pile up adrenaline, then pop a Backhand (3 sec stun, 15 sec CD) to trick your opponent into thinking you're gonna chainstun them and force them to pop Freedom. Once you know Freedom's been popped, wait the 6 seconds before restarting the stun chain.

With Freedom as the only means of escaping big chains, keeping track of your opponent's Freedom CD, as well as their big damage CDs, will set apart the average PKers from the good ones. An average PKer will know "okay, they can't Freedom for another 15 seconds", while a good player will know "okay, they've got their ultimate on cooldown, I can survive this stun chain and should hold onto Freedom for the next one, then feign a stun chain, make them pop freedom, and unload."

#5 Dr Destiny

Dr Destiny

• RS Name:None
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:None

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Having trying out the combat training, it seems it requires more work to get used to and find what abiltiies and what time suits you. I think most people just don't like the fact that they have to re-make strategies.

However, in my opinion I prefer the old combat system just because of personal preference.

#6 Fasty

Fasty

~tbh imo~

• RS Name:Fast993
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

A lot more complicated than the current system, to say the least. Should be interesting for the clan world.

lol if u flame me gkef is gonna quote u so watch out bro
Posted Image
i'm the mountie and gkef's the beaver by the way lol

#7 Panicking

Panicking

Ex-Maxed out 35 Defence

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Way easier to kill monsters in new system but the pvp still baffles me :(

Panicking

#8 Jaddy

Jaddy

Accomplished Agility Freak

• RS Name:Jaddy
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

View Postʸᵃʸ, on 16 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

It's really not that difficult of a concept. Lock down your opponent with stuns, and then blow them up before they can get out of the stun.

For example, with melee:

Backhand (3 sec stun, basic) -> Havok (125% weapon damage w/ both weapons, basic) -> Barge (3 sec stun, basic) -> Fury (150% of 6 sec autoatk damage, basic) -> Kick (3 sec stun, basic) -> Frenzy (20% max HP every 2 sec, for 10 sec)

All the lead-ins to the ultimate are basics, so by the time you get to the ultimate you'll have enough adrenaline, they'll be stuck in a stun for 9 seconds straight, and the Frenzy combined with autoattack, Havok, and Fury damage- just use that chain when the target is at about 50% HP, and they're down.

How about with range? Well, you'll be in melee for the most part anyways, so we can throw a few melee abilities that don't rely on your weapon choice into the mix.

Fragmentation Shot (250% weapon damage over 6 sec, increased if target moves, basic) -> Escape (force them to move to buff FragShot, basic) -> Binding Shot (3 sec stun, 20 sec bind, basic) -> Snipe (219% weapon damage, 3 sec channel (use during stun), basic) -> Kick (3 sec stun, basic) -> Piercing Shot (157% weapon damage) -> Backhand (3 sec stun, basic) -> Incendiary Shot (30% of target's max HP, dealt 3 seconds after shot hits, ultimate)

Again, a big stun chain with lots of damage in the middle, culminating in a 30% hit. Pop that chain when the target is at about 60% HP, gf.

Freedom is gonna be the big important ability in the EoC, as it clears stuns and renders immunity to further stuns for 6 seconds, and has a 30 second cooldown. You're gonna wanna do things like pile up adrenaline, then pop a Backhand (3 sec stun, 15 sec CD) to trick your opponent into thinking you're gonna chainstun them and force them to pop Freedom. Once you know Freedom's been popped, wait the 6 seconds before restarting the stun chain.

With Freedom as the only means of escaping big chains, keeping track of your opponent's Freedom CD, as well as their big damage CDs, will set apart the average PKers from the good ones. An average PKer will know "okay, they can't Freedom for another 15 seconds", while a good player will know "okay, they've got their ultimate on cooldown, I can survive this stun chain and should hold onto Freedom for the next one, then feign a stun chain, make them pop freedom, and unload."
amen, this is what pvp and combat should be about.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#9 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

• RS Status:Free

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostJaddy, on 16 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

I intensely hate this kind of combat because it feels much more like a planning exercise than actual combat. Is it too much to ask for an MMO that has RuneScape's skilling/quest system, only tied to combat that satisfies simple bloodthirst like mine?

Edited by Vardarac, 16 November 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#10 Jaddy

Jaddy

Accomplished Agility Freak

• RS Name:Jaddy
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostVardarac, on 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I intensely hate this kind of combat because it feels much more like a planning exercise than actual combat. Is it too much to ask for an MMO that has RuneScape's skilling/quest system, only tied to combat that satisfies simple bloodthirst like mine?
to be honest, those abilitie strings are only relevant for pvp. slayer and pvm is probably more abilityspamming.

but for each person their own preferences i guess

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#11 B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus

• RS Name:Buddy Rich
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostJaddy, on 16 November 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostVardarac, on 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

to be honest, those abilitie strings are only relevant for pvp. slayer and pvm is probably more abilityspamming.

but for each person their own preferences i guess

I can see where he's coming from, he's Pk'ed in this system for a long time and gotten used to this style of combat. From what i've seen a large portion, probably most of the current PK community shares the same attitude. What I think (this is purely speculation) Jagex are trying to do is reinvent the PK community somewhat, bringing in new people who were previously turned off by the current PvP system. I can tell you i'm probably one of those people, in my very limited experience in Pking I never could get into it because of the amount of luck that was involved in getting kills. For someone that's as horribly unlucky as I am, that's a big deterrent. The community also really annoyed me, but that's an entirely different argument. It's kind of sad to see the old players go because of this, but from what i've heard the Pk community isn't doing so great anyways. Maybe this will  be the beginning of a whole new Pk community, who knows.
Posted Image

#12 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

• RS Status:Free

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Keep in mind, my post about "simple combat" doesn't necessarily mean that I like combat that involves you clicking once and watching the screen. When I talk about simple combat, I mean combat that's as simple as how you and your opponent control your weapon and your body. If weapon hits body, you do damage. Simple.

I've had this back and forth with "yay" before; he thinks the reason we didn't get this is because we couldn't. I would love to see that kind of combat replace the EoC model in RS3.

#13 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostFasty, on 16 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

A lot more complicated than the current system, to say the least. Should be interesting for the clan world.

If only everyone thought of it that way, change isn't really a bad thing.

"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

#14 konka

konka

• RS Name:Stawnk
  • Clan:Retired

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

To be honest I'm actually half interested to see how it pans out.  

Interested to see what the exp/hour will be for slayer now that you can just spam basic abilities for quick and easy damage/kills.  Might make it more interesting too, and I might start slaying a bit more.

Will this make fire cape / boss PvM easier now?

I don't like not being able to wear rune though and the fact that 50- defence accounts are being extremely limited.  I've had my rune pure for about 7 years now and it's been my pride and joy, might make me explore the game a bit further and get defence... (maybe, hopefully I can still function with my current defence though).

Either way I highly doubt I will quit, just adapt.

Posted Image

King Stawnk | 45 defence | 17 99's | 2,260 Overall

Pure forever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: