• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aloof

Aloof

Crazy- but only just.

• RS Name:Tear Asunder
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

With only a few days to boot, this post probably won't last the course. Nevertheless, I'll ask anyway.

As you should know, special attacks have been essentially removed. Some have been replaced by abilities, like healing and the dragon claws' uber attack. More recently, the godswords gained a passive buff. That's all nice and stuff, but it really feels like a good portion of the weapon identity was lost. A comparison of a rune dagger to a rune 2h is basically identical to one between a dragon dagger and a dragon 2h, increased stats notwithstanding. While the new abilities make the game fun on the entire spectrum, it dumbs down the late game.

On that note, it may not be unheard of for Jagex to later reinstate (active) special attacks. I wouldn't think it to be too difficult for a weapon to have a unique ability related to it, or augment existing abilities past simple equipment stats. I would think that that would be a good way to implement the high-end gear system. Passive effects are nice, but sometimes we want something more visceral.

So what do you think? Considering we can't really go back to a special attack bar in the revamped system, which would you prefer? Abilities that replace existing specs, passive special effects, or active special attacks?

EoC pessimists need not apply.
I went to sleep and woke from my nightmare.

#2 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented a sword, that, for example, has a passive "+25% stun duration" or "+10% damage dealt by Ultimates" or other such effects, making weapon comparisons far more interesting than "well this is a +2 and this is a +3." The EoC honestly needs more choice along those lines.

#3 Daddy

Daddy

The Core

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

12 years in the game with special attack bar.. I would miss it... Being replaced by abilities... No skill in pk , anyone can be good now.

#4 Tee 3

Tee 3

d00d!

• RS Name:Tee 3
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postʸᵃʸ, on 15 November 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented a sword, that, for example, has a passive "+25% stun duration" or "+10% damage dealt by Ultimates" or other such effects, making weapon comparisons far more interesting than "well this is a +2 and this is a +3."

Sounds like League of RuneScape to me. Would be better than no effect weapons though.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Zybez Blogs Team Member/Guides & Tips CL

Check out my Money-Making and Training for Pvm Guides!

#5 B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus

• RS Name:Buddy Rich
  • RS Status:Member
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostDaddy, on 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

12 years in the game with special attack bar.. I would miss it... Being replaced by abilities... No skill in pk , anyone can be good now.

How is that "no skill in pk"? It's a different skill, but you still need skill.
Posted Image

#6 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostDaddy, on 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

yes because praying for the rng to give you a 990 dh spec, or 600+ claw spec combo-d with venge, or 700+ ags spec is total skill, while chainstunning your opponent and bursting them down before they can get out of the cc is totally not skill

#7 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

• RS Status:Free

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

View Postʸᵃʸ, on 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

while chainstunning your opponent and bursting them down before they can get out of the cc is totally not skill

What does this even mean?

(I'm being a butt here because I could easily look it up, but I hate games that good players use lingo to discuss.)

Back on topic, the biggest problem with removing special attacks of some kind from weapons is that players will always choose the cheapest possible weapon they can to accomplish a specific task. There is no "uniqueness," it's just whatever gear happens to highest in tier and bottom in market value.

Passives are one solution to this, but there's nothing wrong with having abilities that are only available when a specific weapon is wielded.

Edited by Vardarac, 15 November 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#8 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostVardarac, on 15 November 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Postʸᵃʸ, on 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

while chainstunning your opponent and bursting them down before they can get out of the cc is totally not skill

What does this even mean?

(I'm being a butt here because I could easily look it up, but I hate games that good players use lingo to discuss.)

Chainstun: To stun something repeatedly, over and over, ideally with 0 "uptime"- that is, time the opponent is unstunned- so you can unleash several offensive abilities in a row without the fear of retaliation, the target healing, etc.
CC: "Crowd control". For the most part, stuns are the only form of CC the EoC is gonna have. Any means of incapacitating a target is CC- usually used in situations with multiple enemies- so chainstunning one target while you killed the other would be CC-ing. However, the can be used for just single targets too.

I suppose out-ranging a melee via Charge or whatever that range ability is that jumps you back 8 yards would be short-term CC too, as they can't retaliate during this period, but it's a reasonably weak form of CC, as you'd only get one GCD during that period.

(GCD: Global Cooldown. In the EoC, notice how when you hit one ability, the others go on cooldown for about 1 second? That's your GCD. It's in place to prevent smashing every button at once and blowing someone up.)

I should start putting together a list of terms that'll end up getting used at some point. People will find it useful post-EoC.

Edited by ʸᵃʸ, 15 November 2012 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: