Your Thoughts On Eoc

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Brogusa

Brogusa

Friends, let's bring them Hell.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

Post what your thoughts are on Evolution of Combat. If you like it, explain why. If you dislike it, explain why.

Personally, I've taken a great liking to Evolution of Combat. At first, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing until Combat Academy came out. Then, after combat academy, I was  actually really enjoying the whole concept. Plus, EoC fixes things like the issue with Protect/Deflect prayers. Protect/Deflect prayers that block 100% of damage seems hideously broken to me. For one thing, what kind of MMORPG puts in a mechanic where so long as you have a few flasks of prayer potions (which are worth next to nothing these days) in your inventory, you're virtually immortal for what seems like hours? Granted, I enjoy the 100% protection but it makes boss fights so much less rewarding, It also defeats the purpose of even having a Defence skill, when you can just pray against damage.

In the live game, I just afk combat with protection prayers while watching TV or even playing a round of Kirby on my DS, since I get so bored of just staring at my avatar doing all the work. In the beta, I actually stick around on the main RuneScape screen and I actively participate in the fights. Getting that kill also feels much more rewarding.

#2 R3S0

R3S0

• RS Name:Duck OnQuack
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Hi
  • Team:Hi

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

i do not like it personally, but i guess it will make me put more time into skilling which really needs to be done lol :)
Posted Image

#3 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Moved to the EoC board.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#4 B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus

• RS Name:Buddy Rich
  • RS Status:Member
  • Team:Rocket

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

My thoughts on EoC... Hm. I like it for sure, often times I find myself bored on the live game and hop on the Beta for some PvM, I find it more fun than the combat in the current game. Before I start, I should probably mention that I've been playing Runescape for 9 years now, or at least that's what Hans tells me. I really shouldn't have to say that, because it means next to nothing as far as why I like/dislike EoC, but I know there's people who will think/say "He likes EoC, he's obviously not played Runescape for very long" or some other nonsense. All right, here goes nothing.

The main reason I like EoC is the level of attention that it makes you put into the game. When I want to play a game, I want to PLAY the game. For the longest time, I worked on nothing but Slayer in Runescape, years in fact. I did it at maybe 20k xp/hr rates, not caring too much for efficiency or effectiveness, I liked killing things and 99 Slayer was and still is one of the biggest achievements in Runescape. I know a lot of people tend to hug one of two extremes: Completely AFK combat (Armored Zombies and the like) or 100% focused, max efficiency combat (Mutated Bloodvelds with Cannon/Steel titan for example). I can say I was somewhere in between the two, but I can also tell you I never once AFK trained combat. When I trained Slayer, I was almost always focused on the screen, I cared about combat. I was amazed by how cool the weapons were, how awesome fighting all of these crazy monsters with epic weapons like the Whip and DDS was. This is the main reason why I love what the EoC does with combat, the abilities/new weapons look fantastic, especially the weapons (Seriously, have you seen the graphics on the new weapons? Graphics team is killing it this year), the combat is constantly engaging, and there's some real strategy involved now.

You can nitpick at the details, you can compare it to other MMO's, you can point out all of the problems with the current (Beta EoC) system, fine. There's always room for improvement, and of course you should never ignore when something is wrong with the system. But this is still the Runescape I know and love, and after almost 10 years of playing this game, I'm more optimistic now than i've ever been about Runescape's future. But then maybe i'm just naive. We'll see!
Posted Image

#5 Katz_Meister

Katz_Meister

Youtube.com/MrKatzMeister SUB!! =D

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

My thoughts are the EoC are slightly negative but I am trying to be positive about it.

I have played RuneScape for over 9 years now and the reason I chose this game rather than the traditional MMORPG (WoW, LoL, etc) is due to the fact that it was different. Sure the concept was the same, seeing as how it was an MMORPG, but it was different as it had a different style of combat than any other game. Usually when I watched my buddy play WoW he used to just spam all of his keys and he would kill things, RuneScape was just simple and easy to play without the hassle of it all.

But let's be honest, the RuneScape community has been killing the game for a long time. Bots, gambling, swearing, hackers. These were the main issues in the community but now the EoC is just the icing on the cake for most people to quit. This is good though as it gets rid of a few of the kids who play this game. But for us more mature people who are willing to test it out and see how we feel about it when the update goes live, that is when we will make out decision about whether we will continue to love and play this game.

Jagex will lose some money and I am mad that the game will be very similar to other MMORPGs but at least we have the option to use the 1-click system.

#6 Kylet11

Kylet11

• RS Name:Kylet11
  • RS Status:Free
  • Clan:JAJA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

The ownership of the game changed years ago (I quit at this time) and the game has gone down the gutter ever sense.

Not trying the beta, havent even logged on in months.. playing wow now and don't actually mind it.

Best of luck to everyone that plays still.

Posted Image

#7 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

The game is in dire need of it, and I honestly can't wait for it to come out.

There's a reason my combat stats are pretty low, because combat in this game is mind-numbingly boring, and this is gonna help make it far, far more interesting.

#8 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

In a sense, I'm looking forward to it. With all the updates and fixes to it since the beginning of Beta, they've been listening to the community for a change and actually implementing changes we all like to see. They didn't have to add in the Momentum Ability, it was a solution to the community. I will definitively miss the old combat system, but my nostalgia will soon subside once I get my 99 Slayer Post-EoC.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Echliurn

Echliurn

Dave Bodom

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I dont see why i wouldnt like it, i can handle every other MMO, itll just be weird as its runescape.  I need to look more into it though, i sort of wanted to just throw myself in at live, but im curious.

Began 2002 - Maxed Melee 2005 - Maxed Combat 2006 - Retired 2013

Xbox Live - Dave_Bodom

Feel free to add for multiplayer

79k / 100k Gamerscore

#10 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

It breaks small team PKing, my personal niche in the game, and has numerous problems, but the general concept works. It doesn't work in a way that makes me prefer it to other, better combat systems, but EoC is fine as a stand-in combat system until a better, more intense, more interactive system can be developed with the RS3 engine.

Edited by Vardarac, 15 November 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#11 Florkin

Florkin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

EoC has it's positives (better xp rates), but many negatives (ugly animations, obsolete gear, overpowered ability combos that are no better than overpowered specials, new combat level calculator, etc.) IMO it's nowhere near ready for a full release and i wouldn't be surprised if the date got pushed back again.

#12 Wintry

Wintry

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

While I like the idea and the new attack styles and etc. are pretty nice, I think there should have been more focus on improving actual combat than on the animations/gear. It was kinda confusing how they made some currently good gear fairly inneffective in EOC and frankly sent me and the RS economy in a tailspin.
Posted Image

#13 Brogusa

Brogusa

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

the first thing i read when i was sifting through the official runescape forums and threads for evolution of combat was that there was this idea that runescape becomes world of warcraft/wowscape.

never before have my jimmies been that rustled. i've played world of warcraft every now and again, and it's NOTHING like runescape. the only thing that's even remotely similar to world of warcraft that the combat beta has is the action bar, and action bars have been around for a long time in the mmo world. world of warcraft is not the only mmo to have such a thing. has anyone ever bothered to actually play games like wow and lol before they actually make their judgement?

#14 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostProject 2501, on 15 November 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

the first thing i read when i was sifting through the official runescape forums and threads for evolution of combat was that there was this idea that runescape becomes world of warcraft/wowscape.

never before have my jimmies been that rustled. i've played world of warcraft every now and again, and it's NOTHING like runescape. the only thing that's even remotely similar to world of warcraft that the combat beta has is the action bar, and action bars have been around for a long time in the mmo world. world of warcraft is not the only mmo to have such a thing. has anyone ever bothered to actually play games like wow and lol before they actually make their judgement?

THANK YOU

Seriously, I've posted this in like 60% of the EoC threads.

This was the Omnitron Defense System. This was the THIRD boss in the first tier of Cataclysm. THIRD. Nex is the only boss in RS even close to this level of intricacy, and... Nex isn't anywhere close to as hard as this.

RS isn't gonna have combat anywhere near this for a long, long time. Even aside from the level of complexity, the combat is so astoundingly different, comparing the two might as well be putting a banner on your head that says "I HAVE NEVER PLAYED WOW EVER"

#15 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

People are upset because they hear Mod Mark aspiring to turn RuneScape into a "traditional" MMO complete with typical dungeon crawls and roles, when almost nobody in recent memory actually asked for him to do that. I'm not saying don't advance the game, but wouldn't it be better if he cleared certain ideas with us first?

It's also a matter of visual style, it's the reason you had such a wave of butthurt when the non-fixed interface was introduced. People like the simple looks of RuneScape combat, they don't need explosions and huge jumps and motion-tracked swords and big waves for them to enjoy it.

Yes, the opinions screaming WoWscape are mostly shallow and misinformed, but they aren't completely without basis.

Edited by Vardarac, 15 November 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#16 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

Since May of 2009 I have been playing RS. Every change that I have noticed IMHO - has been mostly great for the players of RS. I personally have not seen Eoc on Jagex's Beta test worlds. Ive only read about it on Jagex forums, recently. My only thoughts of Eoc, runs back to my programming terminology as another website called foldoc.org describes as ,"creeping featuritis" - where some programmer influences his/her programming team with, "Gee, wouldn't be nice if we could add this (the idea) so that program x at subroutine y does this?". Be thankful your NOT downloading this as a patch up grade like OTHER games would have you do if they were not written in Java. To get back to my point, my feeling is 50% fear and 50% hope that these nitwits (Jagex programmers) are NOT going to ruin the game by over looking a potential bug that we game players will all have to endure until its fixed. How many changes have happened to RS this year? I have a problem with Jagex which has the power to exercise without understanding that sometimes you can really ruin a good thing the more often you tweak it or modify it for reasons other than bug fixes, security issues, and etc. The last major change that I recall is Runespan. Now between that time of when Runespan happened and the time of when Eoc happens upholds my theory that RS is slowly mutating into something else. And again, to repeat, my feelings of 50% of fear and 50% hope are running through my mind - like a really bad anxiety attack about the failure of this game's modification. If you have ever heard of the phrase,"They took everything but the kitchen sink.", - I would describe the game is being modified to use everything with the kitchen sink. In other words, the game is being programmed to be crowded with features that its original design did not intend. Eoc is a afterthought which is an example of this.

thats my 2 cents worth....

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

Ive changed my "about me" - to about you.

#17 Brogusa

Brogusa

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

some say runespan ruins rs, i say it's fast, free runecrafting xp.

back to the topic at hand. i don't see why people dislike this change so much. people need to come to terms with the fact that game changes happen. no game remains the same as it does during launch. if it did, we'd still be playing runescape classic >_>

Edited by Project 2501, 16 November 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#18 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostProject 2501, on 16 November 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

i don't see why people dislike this change so much.

Lots of different reasons, some valid, some not.

For me, my biggest concern is that I find the core system to be lackluster in comparison to other games and personally don't care for this sort of combat besides; I'm much more of a hack-and-slash gamer than heavy strategic thinker. I'm rather offput by the fact that the game is evolving in the direction of favoring only the latter.

Besides that, my niche as a small team PKer is gone as of Tuesday thanks to multi toggle. If there was still any sort of a food chain connected to the rune rocks, it will be totally abolished by toggle as well.

It has nothing to do with necessity of change and everything to do with the kind of changes being made. Can you remember how excited people were when they heard that a combat revamp was coming? I know I was, and then I found out it was going to be just another lock-on action bar MMO. Snore.

#19 Brogusa

Brogusa

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostVardarac, on 16 November 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Lots of different reasons, some valid, some not.

For me, my biggest concern is that I find the core system to be lackluster in comparison to other games and personally don't care for this sort of combat besides; I'm much more of a hack-and-slash gamer than heavy strategic thinker. I'm rather offput by the fact that the game is evolving in the direction of favoring only the latter.

Besides that, my niche as a small team PKer is gone as of Tuesday thanks to multi toggle. If there was still any sort of a food chain connected to the rune rocks, it will be totally abolished by toggle as well.

It has nothing to do with necessity of change and everything to do with the kind of changes being made. Can you remember how excited people were when they heard that a combat revamp was coming? I know I was, and then I found out it was going to be just another lock-on action bar MMO. Snore.

Hm, I see your point. In regard to multi-toggle, it's a sad update indeed. If this update does indeed come to pass, all of the efforts made by His Lordship and the rest of the PK community supporting him will be wasted.

#20 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Don't you think it would have been better if combat were like this instead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: