Skilling In The Eoc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

For details of the EoC release, take a look here!

One aspect of the EoC that's not so often commented on is the side benefit that it provides to the skilling community.

In particular, by assigning resources to a slot in your action bar you’re able to continue dropping items as they are gathered, thereby increasing your rate of XP per hour.

This video from Regicidal’s YouTube channel gives some great examples of how Mining and Fishing, in particular, are positively affected:

The RuneScape Team

Discuss this here.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#2 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Looks good makes skills like mining not as bad.

#3 Fasty

Fasty

~tbh imo~

• RS Name:Fast993
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Awesome; makes it even easier to do annoying skills like Mining now.

BOW DOWN OR FALL DOWN - #JKU

Posted Image

We do allow stolen images, edited or not, to be used in Signatures. If you have any questions feel free to PM me - Mod Fasty

#4 Dappa Don

Dappa Don

Jay

• RS Name:Dappa Don
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Looks ok I guess?

Posted Image

#5 Xtrm

Xtrm

(ง •̀_•́)ง

• RS Name:Xtrm
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Team:Sad Unit

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I can't wait to try out skilling after the EoC release.

Posted Image

#6 wolfmon

wolfmon

No Guts No Glory

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Only thing I'm looking forward to in EOC. lol

Posted Image

Posted Image Wolfmon56 2000-2014 Posted Image

#7 Da Bazz

Da Bazz

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Might even get 99 fishing and mining now.

Elite Member of Solace
Council of Supreme 3gypt
Advisor of Team Morphic
Ending Member of Team TKO Blitz

Member of Team Angelz Vengeance

Member of Team Trinity

The only 2 awards I could save after switching forums 500 times and losing loads of data.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 c0nv

c0nv

no flex zone

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I might be able to have the patience to get some skills up now.

View Post»Beanie«, on 10 March 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

DI is just that guy at a club who stands in a corner for hours to try and spot the drunkest girl to take advantage of but then gets kicked out by a bouncer

#9 Novaduck

Novaduck

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't consider training skills becoming even easier a positive thing

#10 deguix

deguix

• RS Name:deguix
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Well, they could have done better such changes earlier without EoC. Without the action bar, they could have added a drop all of that kind option (then again, it wouldn't be as much effective as the action bar is now). Now for crafting... and whatnot, either they could have added a craft all option, or an improvement to the inventory interface to be able to select a group of items (like selecting a group of icons in desktop), and then be able to right click on them to do the crafting of the x number of items (where x is the amount selected).

But an informative interface is not bad. It's just another thing that's going to repeatedly going to appear in front of me.

#11 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

This is the opposite direction they need to be moving in. All this time, the game should have been moving in a direction that makes skilling more challenging and rewarding but also less grindy. Instead, Jagex is making skilling easier to grind. So much for innovative renovation.

Yes, by all means -1 instead of addressing the actual argument.

Edited by Vardarac, 14 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#12 Jaddy

Jaddy

Accomplished Agility Freak

• RS Name:Jaddy
  • Clan:Zybeznet
  • Team:Zchat

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostVardarac, on 14 November 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

This is the opposite direction they need to be moving in. All this time, the game should have been moving in a direction that makes skilling more challenging and rewarding but also less grindy. Instead, Jagex is making skilling easier to grind. So much for innovative renovation.

Yes, by all means -1 instead of addressing the actual argument.
while i totally do agree with you, there is an update coming our way planned for december, called player owned ports. i have good hopes that, since this will focus on unlockable (untradeable) 90+ content, this will at least adress the rewarding part of your argument.
myself ive been talking about giving skills a use rather than adding more training methods ever since artisans workshop came out. say nothing about runespan.

on the other hand, there is no way to make a skill where you gain 13 million experience without it getting grindy. even dungeoneering ends up being a grind in the end (even though it is challenging).

Edited by Jaddy, 15 November 2012 - 05:45 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#13 street b0y

street b0y

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

stink THE WHOLE JAGEX TEAM 5 stinkING YEARS OF MY LIFE GF

To far ahead of you.

#14 Nott Vaengr

Nott Vaengr

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

This is not a complaint but I foresee two problems with this update.

1)  People who achieved a 99 in a skill that required more hands-on working (mouse clicking, etc) will complain that this will cheapen their work and skillcape.

2)  It'll be disgustingly easier for people who bot to use this to achieve a 99 easier and faster.

In a way it does follow the trend of making skilling easier though.  This is a just a continuation of how cutting ivy and Runespan works.  I.e. minimal mouse clicks, somewhat afkable, etc.
Scoundrel for hire.  Dragons Rescued.
Virginity Cured.   Castles Plundered.  
No Brigandry Too Small.   No Fee Too Large.

#15 Jaddy

Jaddy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostNott Vaengr, on 15 November 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

1)  People who achieved a 99 in a skill that required more hands-on working (mouse clicking, etc) will complain that this will cheapen their work and skillcape.
this hhas been going on ever since the release of effigies and training methods like ivy. if people start complaining now, then there kinda late.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Maxed: 6th of August 2012
2496:19th of October 2012
Completionist: 30th of October 2012
2595: 25th of September 2013

#16 Vardarac

Vardarac

Game Grump

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostJaddy, on 15 November 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

on the other hand, there is no way to make a skill where you gain 13 million experience without it getting grindy. even dungeoneering ends up being a grind in the end (even though it is challenging).

Sure there is. There's a reason traditional level-based games with the same basic gameplay are able to command tens of hours of a player's attention, it's because those games able to expand on the presentation of that same content while also giving the player new and more difficult challenges as they advance.

Dungeoneering doesn't accomplish this satisfactorily because its level-based approach introduces only new bosses, and even then on a random basis; through all the levels, there are essentially the same puzzles, the same enemies you've seen before and just need to kill in the same way you'd kill any other enemy, with little thought or regard for that enemies' unique attacking style; the overwhelming lack of difficulty in passing a level; and the need to repeat the series of levels ad nauseum, when what really should have been the case was a save-progress dungeon-crawling addition that required a great dedication of time, effort, and skill to complete and progress through unique levels in a one-off fashion.

What I envision is a system of this kind that could be enacted alongside the current grind-to-win skilling system all the way to level 99 that provides the player with a great deal of incentive with respect to gameplay, XP, and money to engage in these linear but increasingly difficult (sometimes exceedingly so) tasks to reach the top. Skill-based skilling, if you will, where the grind only ever comes from having to repeat the task enough times to succeed at it and not from needing to perform it endlessly to get experience up.

And of course, I say alongside because I cannot imagine the level of bellyaching that would arise if skillers were suddenly forced to engage in the actual tasks that they were doing instead of simply pressing buttons to endlessly repeat their tasks and gain levels. You already see this where fighters are forced to change in the EoC.

Edited by Vardarac, 15 November 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#17 Jaddy

Jaddy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

amen. nothing to add to that

Posted Image
Posted Image