Outdated Content

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

So recently we have seen Jagex update tons of outdated content such as old quests from years ago that would not fall up to today's standards in terms of graphics, detailed story line, voice overs etc. This is important because when a new player begins playing Runescape, we do not want them playing graphics and technology from the year 2000, in order to maintain new players, Jagex must update older content to ensure it is held up to the standards of 2012 and compete with other games.

So I decided to make my own list of outdated graphics and content that Jagex could and probably will update by running around Runescape and looking for stuff.

1) The Bank PIN interface

Posted Image

This interface needs updating because it is not up to par of today's interfaces. The coins look as if they were drawn in paint and the interface does not resemble the metalic hue that is evident throughout the recent interface updates.

2) Ship Map

Posted Image

Once again, this map is a bit outdated and probably been forgotten about due to lack of use.

3) Banks

Posted Image

I am referring to the physical graphics of the bank and not the interface. Runescape banks are very unrealistic, in this image bars of gold are randomly placed on the floor with little to no protection. As you can see in this picture, the banks have not been updated since as far back as I can remember and they are not up to par with today's graphics. I would love to see some interesting artwork go into the Runescape bank such as vaults in the background showing mega rare items and powerful weapons.

4) Ardougne

Posted Image
The entire city of Ardougne needs a rework. The graphics are outdated and content here is very neglected. It is supposed to be the city of thieves yet the thieving methods here would make even the least efficient xp gainer to cringe

Posted Image
The city also has a strange outline and an outdated "boxed" shape. The Zoo is a bit random and is not integrated into the city efficiently with little to no lore. This city has much more potential.

5) Kinshra (Black knights)

Posted Image

Basic graphical updates are needed and minor tweaks to the beginning storylines. The Fortress is outdated and makes the Kinshra look like a joke and too small compared with some of the more modern buildings.

6) Camelot

Posted Image

Romeo and Juliet was a bit random and immature considering very little creativeness went into creating the quest and their characters. I would argue the same for the city of Camelot. The knights of the round table are very deeply integrated into Runescape and one would argue that changing the city and characters would alter many quests. Still, quests such as the Holy Grail are not representative of today's society.

Can you guys think of any outdated content (minor or major) that needs updating?

Edited by JessyU, 08 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#2 Kevin♫

Kevin♫

The Scientist

• RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

To expand on your black knights one, the guards in the tower need their armour updated as well. I remember doing Void Stares Back recently and realized how much my armour varied compared to theirs.

Also, Falador will most likely be updated since the guards there also have the old armour look to them. The city is also based on the old graphics model (with the exception of the Artisan's Workshop and Dwarven Mines/Mining Guild).

Posted Image
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
- Sun Tzu (Art of War)

#3 ShadyBrah

ShadyBrah

• RS Name:Shady Brah
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

First off, I definately agree with the need for Bank updates! Haven't seen any changes since...Well, since forever I guess.

Also, It'd be nice to see changes to the various items in the game; Runes, ores, bars, etc..  There's not to much that can be done to them, but they look so pixeled right now I'm sure they can be improved a tad bit
Posted Image

#4 Wats Ronskep

Wats Ronskep

• RS Name:Wats Ronskep

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

The Bank PIN Interface along with many older windows within the game need to be up to par with Jagex's new black & silver interface thingamajig. Interesting thread nonetheless.

Posted Image

#5 Cera S6

Cera S6

Violent Resolution Officer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

I think most of the time they just don't notice these things. Personally in VR, there are topics from months ago that are probably obsolete in current times. I'm just too lazy to go through each forum and find those topics. I'm sure Jagex are the same.

Mike|Cera_S6 - Violent Resolution Officer
Posted Image
P2P Teams: Overwhelming Threat Member (06) | Infamous PKers Member (09) | Border Patrol Member (09) | Genocide Member (10) | Frozen Fury Warlord (11 - 13)
F2P Teams: Noobs Inc Member (06) | Team X Warlord (09) | Northern Kings Warlord (12) | Evolution Warlord (12) | Octane Member (12)
Clans: Fear Member (04) | THE Futures Member (05) | Awaken Officer (05/06) | Violent Resolution Officer (06 - Present)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Community Leader of General Discussion, Clan Discussion, Clan Fights & Events and United Nations - Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns Posted Image
Posted Image | Posted Image

#6 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

Yes those all need updating one of the things that need updating that pop in to my mind is the chaos elemental a forgoten and largly unused piece of content this thread will better explain what i mean CLICK

B`@SwiftIRC

#7 Kaur

Kaur

• Clan:RSD
  • Team:Team NH

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

3 extremely outdated minigames:

Mobilising Armies - worst piece of content in game, I still have no idea why it was released to the game in it's incomplete state. Yeah it was delayed half a year and people demanded it but it would have been better just to scratch that project knowing they couldn't deliver quality with the limitations RS engine put on it.
Trouble Brewing - horrible gameplay, horrible rewards, outdated graphics, why bother?
The Wilderness - no reason to go there.
Posted Image
Coming soon from Jagex Software! Runescape, our massive multiplayer adventure. Trade and communicate with other players. Learn skills to earn money, or if you're brave attempt to find riches in the dungeons. Your charactor will continue to evolve and improve the more you play, with quests to complete for extra rewards. Choose good or evil the choice is entirely yours!

#8 Crunkeh

Crunkeh

I like Ya kid, You got Spunk

• RS Name:Crunkeh
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Couldn't agree with you anymore. Hopefully this is sorted ASAP. It looks icky

Posted Image

#9 Rosstitution

Rosstitution

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Very well spotted, hopefully they update it soon.
Posted Image

#10 The duck

The duck

The Community Duck™

• RS Name:Elysian Duck

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

I actually like the bank pin... I think it should stay for nonstalgic purposes :-D

View PostRashy, on 03 November 2010 - 09:25 AM, said:

The duck is Justin Bieber in disguise. He's spying on us. Ban now!

Posted Image

Blogs Team Leader & CL of Questions, feel free to PM me with suggestions or ideas

#11 Velits

Velits

Awesome~!

• RS Name:Velits
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:less
  • Team:Awesome

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Here is one for you:

Fisher Realm from the Holy Grail quest line.
http://runescape.wik...Realm_dying.png

Edited by Velits, 08 November 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#12 Jimb0b

Jimb0b

Lets Party

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

You know, you definitely have many good points and I really understand what you are saying. I had a similar thought about 2-3 weeks ago when they redid the Doric quest. They had made it much more corny but nonetheless.

I personally think Karamja needs a rework, a place like that would not look in real life the way it does now. I mean, it looks so boring, everything needs to look more realistic to suit 2012 style graphics.

EDIT: explained more extensively

Edited by Jimb0b, 08 November 2012 - 03:08 PM.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Posted Image

Posted Image

~Proud atheist troll~

#13 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

The road Jagex is going now, I'd imagine they'd put their HD remake on those soon. Really looking forward to a new bank pin interface because of that dreaded last number glitch...

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Paradite

Paradite

What ever you say

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

I think the "black knight titan" from the holy grail quest is absolutely begging for a graphical update. The poor guy seems to have the same graphics from 2004 when rs2 was first released.
Posted Image

#15 Dark Sun Tan

Dark Sun Tan

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

There are many graphic bugs that you may have not found
  • When you wear leather ranging armor with the coifure (the leather helmet or whatever) a zebra print pattern is imposed on boots of lightness and without the coifure , bars or stripes on hair (I wear a blond long hair style for my character) along with the boots of lightness zebra print.

• When I was fishing at Catherby wearing the armor sold by Sir Tiffy Cashien ( I think it was proselyte ) produces a elastic spike from the back of the head as your character fishes.

• Long ago I discovered, In the POH - the workship room, that the pluming stand reverts the new styled rune full helm to the previous style of rune full helm when used - I don't know if this was fixed yet.

• I would like to know why is it when I travel by ship, or balloon (or whatever)... the inventory view ( or whatever is being displayed ) is switched to the friends list EVERYTIME ?! Why doesn't a message pop up instead that says " your currently in transit " or  something like that. It only happens for 3 seconds, but then I have to click back to my inventory view. Its not that I need to see my inventory view or whatever, I just don't understand why it switches to the friends list.

• There is a dilemma between using OpenGL and DirectX. I use OpenGL because the graphics are better than DirectX  - except for the fact there is a auto-zoom event in that happens. If you don't like this then the other option is to switch to DirectX but the overhead map doesn't look the same. If you look at your overhead map while in the Dwarven mines under falador where the few adamantite ores there is a black voids. In OpenGL it looks like a map without the void, but then I have to deal with this stupid auto zoom-in event.

• I use a netbook for using RS, I can only have a resolution of 800 x 600 using the standard de facto GUI that RS always had in 2009. I dont like the other settings even on my regular PCs that have larger resolutions because then it doesn't work with my netbook ( ACER : aspire one ). I stick to this GUI because its a pain to change the settings over and over again. So when am fishing , a hoard of players ( or botters ) are on my spot - right clicking the menu system causes a list that goes beyond off the bottom of the screen. You cant scroll down the list. There is also some confliction between the mouse hot points for right clicking, for instance - the option to do something like Harpoon is sometimes buried somewhere below the list of peoples names. Ditto for picking up dropped items.

• The color or texture pattern for dessert clothing looks terrible. Somehow the purity of white clothing got screwed even more when Jagex re-did their graphics set-up of character clothing pieces.

• There is no pure white color when you customize your clothing (without armor worn) in the clothing shop in Varrock

• The skin color tones (of the dithered scale) that is seen when you visit the make-over mage to change your sex type or skin color type do NOT even represent the skin tones that you see when your look at your character, when your taking off or putting on armor.  The color skin tone scale when selecting the colors should show what your character looks like with them, like when you change your hair style or default clothing setup ( without armor worn ). Jagex should have had a character preview for this feature like they have for the other two user customizations.
(yes, I am a habitual nit-picker when it comes to graphic detailing since I have done graphic 2-D artwork in the past on the CBM Amiga systems )

Thanks

Dark Sun Tan

Posted Image

Ive changed my "about me" - to about you.

#16 Dusty McFly

Dusty McFly

Beat Maker

• RS Name:LBFM
  • Clan:Irenic

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

I think they should remove all the jewelry shops, like the ones in Falador and Port Sarim. They are dead. Forever dead.

Posted Image

#17 Bow

Bow

Lead the way.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

I would imagine that these kind of things are down on a list somewhere to be updated after they get the huge graphical update done with the evolution of combat in a couple weeks.  Well it would seem logical with how they have been going around updating towns and areas over the last year or so.

I would say the bank interfaces in general need an upgrade big time, the banks themselves, the buildings, and the pin interface.  It would be nice if you could just make tabs and place items there without needing placeholder items to keep it organized.  It would also be generous to bring in an option to just send things straight to your house to store there with how many thousands of items are in this game now.  Its a stretch but I think both would be pretty cool additions.
Senior Moderator
- Feel free to PM me if you need any anything and I will do my best to help.
Specialties:
-Clan Discussion
-OSRS Price Guide ( Please use the Price Guide Support Forum for help)
Posted Image
Leader of RuneScape Dinasty; RSD from 06 to 2013

#18 Jaybird

Jaybird

Captain Bird

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

It would be cool if they updated it where you could have a item locked in place in your bank sort of like a place holder. I would much rather see them add useful updates and content like that then bother updating graphics. I don't know why people play RS for graphics.

Posted Image   Posted ImagePosted Image

Forums | Memberlist | Clan Fights | Clan Videos

Posted Image

Images as a group must be no larger than 500 x 150 pixels - Yorick

#19 ~ Darky ~

~ Darky ~

• RS Name:XsDarknesssX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

the problem is, they update content that has been dead for years and the update still really isnt something that is going to be used unless they make the rewards amazing, or a comp cape req like they did with trekking forcing people to complete it.

what kills me the most is that they spend a whole month doing like 2 or 3 updates on different things that they should really be lumping into 1 update and bringing out no new content at all that month besides some 5 minute quest.

Edited by ~ Darky ~, 09 November 2012 - 09:00 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Hohto

Hohto

• RS Name:Hohto
  • Clan:The Rising

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

In my opinion those things are far from being on the top of the list of "outdated content". Those are pretty much nothing but graphical things. Updating them makes the game look a bit better, but that's it.

I'd rather put my effort on old content that is totally outdated:
* Fishing trawler = Barely anyone playing it because of measy rewards, gamedesign from 2003 and so on.
* Trouble brewing = Probably one of the hardest songs to unlock in nowadays, due the fact that no one plays a minigame with a repetitive gameplay, cosmetic rewards and rather high requirements to play.
* GoP = Especially after runespan the minigame has become pretty much useless. Sure the robes are nice if you are going for 200m xp, but other than that... Easier and faster gp and xp outside of it and as the game design is half a decade old, barely anyone plays it.
* Rat pits = Taking up large areas in many places, yet there's virtually no reasons to play it. Unless you count masochism as a reason.
* Ranging guild = A minigame that can get you around 30-50k xp (no hp) and hour and few gp, a store selling items you don't need, a requirement so low to enter that anyone can do it after few hours of training... Has anything apart graphics changed since 2003?
* Champions' guild = Basically just a doorway to the champion scrolls. Which are collected by a handful of players due a trimmed comp cape req. The building itself is basically just a waste of space.
* Heroes' guild = Multiple floors and basically only used to recharge glories and wealths. Oh, if someone still uses those in a larger scale. Basically hasn't changed since RSC.
* Legends' guild = Same words as for heroes'. According to the names, these guilds should be something totalyl epic and great. Yet the requirements can be reached in no time, the content hasn't been changed basically ever and there are really minimal reasons to enter.

I could go on and on. There's far too much content in rs that has just been forgotten and instead of fixing things that already exists, Jagex seems to have taken a policy of adding things that will soon be dead too.
http://koti.mbnet.fi...ignaturehoh.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: