Your Opinions On Runescape Private Servers?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Darkest Team

Darkest Team

Insane RuneScape PKer

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

My opinion is the fact that they may be fun, but you're taking Jagex's hard-earned code. Not to mention that using their client, which is copyrighted by them, is illegal.

Your thoughts?

Posted Image

#2 Soulless

Soulless

The guy whose name no one can remember

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I don't need an opinion, all I need to know are the facts, and the fact is they are illegal... Also, most of the time they are run by blinking idiots :yes:

Edited by Soulless, 02 November 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Class > Swag

#3 qazbob12

qazbob12

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

It's illegal, and not just that, plenty runescape private servers are full of viruses and other types of mal-ware.
what people call me online: simply Alca and barney.
of course, if you don't adapt, you won't survive.

#4 Medtron 67

Medtron 67

Yes, i also like to live dangerously.

• RS Name:Medtron 67
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

back when the wild died, i played on a private server quite a bit, cant remember the name but it had a bulk amount of people playing it, and was actually funner than RS had ever been, it died later on due to jagex ofc but yea, there are risks and benefits of playing on priv servers and i dont know of any today that are good

Posted Image

Medtron 67

#5 Magick

Magick

outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

They never seem to last long anyway, and the kids that run them are mainly in it for quick money. I suppose if you have no interest in the main game, and dislike grinding, private servers can offer you an experience you would have not been able to have.

Posted Image

#6 Darkest Team

Darkest Team

Insane RuneScape PKer

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

A moderator locked this topic, why is it unlocked? What happened?

Yes, I know that the client is illegal, but imo it's also GREAT Java programming practice. I still say to play the actual game, though.

View Postqazbob12, on 02 November 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

It's illegal, and not just that, plenty runescape private servers are full of viruses and other types of mal-ware.
I don't think that's possible. They usually put screenshots, and people would reply on RSPS forums if there were any issues with it; plus, they show virus scan pictures, but who knows? Maybe they do.

Edited by Darkest Team, 02 November 2012 - 05:19 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Andraxion

Andraxion

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Private servers can be fun for some people, but it really devalues the game for yourself and for the company. After you play them for a while, you start to lose the sense of accomplishment. With servers that have modified xp rates, free items, etc., you start to expect that as the norm. Then, as with most private servers, they get shut down or stopped being maintained. You are then forced to start over on a new one, or go back to the official servers. You will find it hard to get back into the them of the standard servers because you no longer are able to do as you want, all of your work on that private server is gone, and you are now even farther behind other players.

As for the viruses, it is possible but if players use standard clients, it's not much of a possibility. The biggest risk is a lot of players will use the same username and password for that account as their official account. And finally, legality. Hosting private servers and harboring copies of illegitimate software is a major issue and you can find yourself in very deep trouble.

#8 Nitromanic

Nitromanic

Pure F2P

• RS Name:Korean
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

I will admit, I'm sure I'll get hate for this, but around a year and a half ago now I used to play on private servers quite a bit as I got increasingly bored with Runescape and lost faith in Jagex. I became a fairly senior moderator on one of the biggest RSPS's out there and I did enjoy the position for awhile, but eventually I did move on which was definately the right move. From past experience, I don't recommend private servers in the slightest, when I did come back to proper Runescape I found it pretty hard at the start, going from easy 99's and the best weaponry and armour you could get to next to nothing is a hard thing to adjust to. It's easy enough to move from Runescape to RSPS's but moving back is difficult.
My opinion...they can be fun for a while but it can be risky business and I don't recommened them at all. Stick to proper Runescape if you want to get the best experience and a more rewarding one as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Jimb0b

Jimb0b

Lets Party

• RS Name:Jimb0b
  • Clan:Downfall

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Without running the risk of a ban, I don't endorse them because they are a false reality.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Posted Image

Posted Image

~Proud atheist troll~

#10 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

I've seen some friends play private servers sometimes and i thought what a waste of time. You gain nothing when skills are that easy to max and you have everything to lose when you download those clients. It's better they don't exist at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Caj

Caj

Old School Player

• RS Name:Cajjj
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Private servers tweak the way people level and gain wealth. I saw them firsthand when a friend of mine used a private server to level up his character. There was virtually no challenge, the private server simply gave it's players a substantial boost in leveling experience, and the loot drops were tweaked as well.

My opinion: Private servers shouldn't be allowed. They break game mechanics and barely enforce the rules.
Posted Image
Posted Image
171st to 99 Slayer ~ April 22, 2014

#12 moneyhelpspk

moneyhelpspk

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

For private servers people just copy the jagex runescape script and input some of their own scripts to change it?

#13 greenbarron8

greenbarron8

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

i think they're just a waste of time if you play on them..

#14 Kevin♫

Kevin♫

Lead the charge

• RS Name:King Bradley
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I've found in many cases that they can be risky not only with potential viruses/malware, but also, more of a problem for the PvP, staking and clanning communities, you can give your IP address to someone who may use it for malicious purposes. For those who are "legitimate" - those who are safe from viruses/malicious intent, any progress made is often wasted. After all, Jagex's servers are definitely a lot better than a shared hosting service. Not only is the real game more permenent, but it experiences less downtime and less problems since the code is less messy.

#15 Aflstar

Aflstar

• RS Name:Aflstar
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Yes I know their illegal, yes I know its morally wrong, but yes I still enjoy using them time to time.

I play private servers as I would play any other small game, like something you would find on Facebook. I dont play the private servers to gain notoriety in Runescape's underground, just meerly for the quick experience and mostly nostalgia. Their entertaining, even if for a little while. Thats why I play them, and probably will play them in the future, however I'll never contribute any of my own money toward the people who run them.

Posted Image

#16 Florkin

Florkin

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I used to play them heavily when I quit RS the last time I did. RSPS were definitely better in 2010 tbh

#17 Scoobyninja

Scoobyninja

@go_wright

• RS Name:Scoobyninja
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Everyone has that point when they test out a private server, even I have. I think the main reason I started playing them was to know what it felt like to be a member. Private servers give you all the awesome stuff that you can't get in the real game and at much easier methods. I probably played them off and on for three years, and the main reason I stayed that long is because I would earn a higher rank in game due to being the web designer for a few servers. Basically, you're just wasting time that you could be spending in the real game. A game that won't disappear for a longer amount of time and a game that gives you a better sense of self-satisfaction.

Posted Image

#18 Jorrit

Jorrit

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

About as useless as the real game itself.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Jimb0b

Jimb0b

Lets Party

• RS Name:Jimb0b
  • Clan:Downfall

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostJorrit, on 03 November 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

About as useless as the real game itself.
True statement +1!

I play Runescape for the satisfaction of knowing I can do something challenging, since this game we speak of is so useless then whats the point in you playing, or having an account on these boards, or bother with participating in Runescape clans? I'm trying to make a point of a lot of things could be considered useless but individual perspective adds color to your opinion.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Posted Image

Posted Image

~Proud atheist troll~

#20 » Caudery

» Caudery

¢αυ∂єяу 13

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

They have & haven't benefitted the game.  When a lot of people have wanted to quit because there bored private servers have filled in and kept people playing the same game technically, which has kept them to coming back to the real Runescape. Whilst at the same time it has made a large number of people quit the game because they can have something they would never really have and able to do something on the game which they enjoy that they don't want to do.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: