Behind The Scenes: November

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Behind The Scenes: November

Tears Of Guthix: Go with the Flow (Members Only)

Our first update this month is a refresh of our weekly Tears of Guthix D&D. We’ve updated the XP rewards for everyone, so that it can compete with more recently introduced ways of gaining XP, meaning that your weekly visit to Juna will be far more rewarding. If Tears of Guthix is something you’ve never tried, then this is a great reason to give it a go! We’ve also let the graphics team loose on the area, meaning that the cave, light creatures and Juna have had a spectacular facelift that’s so awesome it almost made her cry with joy.

Posted Image

If you’re blessed with 80 Mining and Crafting, and you’ve completed the Tears of Guthix quest, you’ll also have the brand new option of making a bigger ornate bowl to catch those precious tears, meaning yet more XP - up to five times as much you'd have got pre-update - for your lowest skill.

Dungeoneering XP Increases (Free Players & Members)

As mentioned earlier in the year, we’ve been carefully looking at the XP rates for small Dungeoneering groups, and were ready to make some changes. We’re still committed to giving the biggest rewards to groups of five players, but we’ve listened to your feedback and run countless dungeons ourselves to come up with a system that’s fairer to all.

Groups that contain fewer than five dungeoneers will receive an XP boost, with solo group XP being doubled as a minimum. Solo XP at higher levels can now reach figures of 350k per hour - possibly even higher depending on the room-raiding qualities of the adventurer. While it’s still most rewarding to explore in a group of five, those of you going it alone or in small groups will find your dungeon-delving more worthwhile than ever!

Don’t forget that this means an increase to your Dungeoneering tokens too, meaning that ever-elusive chaotic or bonecrushing equipment will finally be in your grasp.

Ariane Quests: Rune Mysteries (Free Players & Members) and Rune Memories (Members Only)

For the second time this year, we are releasing two exciting quests at the same time, focusing on one of our heroic trio of adventurers. The first of these quests will be an addition to the free game, and is a replacement for the old Rune Mysteries quest. This time, it’s Ariane’s story that’s explored, and it’s a story that reaches back to the very foundations of one of our oldest game areas – the Wizards' Tower.

Expelled for using forbidden knowledge, Ariane's returned to the Wizards' Tower to face a grave threat. It has long been known that the Wizards' Tower was built on the ruins of an older one, destroyed by a conflict between Saradominist and Zamorakian wizards, but the details have been buried for centuries. With these quests, the full story is revealed as you strive to help Ariane uncover the tower's lost secrets and save the wizards from an unknown peril.

Posted Image

As with the Ozan quests earlier in the year, this launch will see huge reworks of some of RuneScape’s oldest areas. The Wizards' Tower itself has been redesigned from the ground up, featuring a portal beam instead of stairs, animating bookcases and four floors of enchanted wonders. The audio team have - once again - really made the environment sing with joy and, of course, given every character a new voice. The Runecrafting Guild has also received some graphical spit and polish, so do make sure you pop by to visit.

Rewards for this rune-riffic extravaganza include new titles, new mage outfits, a new mage weapon for low-level players and rune essence rewards that grow as your Runecrafting levels increase! There will also be additional, hidden rewards for higher-level players.

Gravestones Improvements (Free Players & Members)

Another update this month inspired by player feedback is an update to the gravestones in the game, or - more specifically - the way in which you interact with gravestones after an unfortunate encounter with death. We’ve created an interface to hold your items rather than drop them all to the floor, meaning it’s far easier to pick and choose what you wish to take, rather than picking from a list of items. We’ve also added a “take all” and a “re-equip all” button, which should help you get back to the action after reaching the site of your untimely demise. Of course, Death himself wanted a “reap-all” button, but we decided against that.

Make X (Free Players & Members)

Perhaps the largest update this month, and certainly something that every player will use on a daily basis, is a complete overhaul to the interfaces and systems used when making items. It takes all the information about item production - experience, value, Grand Exchange and Alchemy prices, skill and item requirements - and presents them in one place. This means you won’t have to frantically check through skill guides or websites just to work out how to train those precious skills. It also includes some brand new features (as well as maintaining the older ones) like being able to clean inventory-loads of herbs.

Combat Academy and Beta Access for All (Free Players & Members)

We will soon be launching the tutorial for the Evolution of Combat into our beta worlds, and will be opening those worlds to every single player. The Combat Academy - as it's called - is a great way to learn how the new combat system is going to work. To encourage you to try it out, we’re offering a generous XP reward to the live account of players who complete both the Combat Academy and a quick in-game poll. These tutorials will be located in Lumbridge just north of the castle and are quick and simple to master, so do log in and let us know what you think. We thrive on your feedback, so the more people involved, the better. The new combat system is almost ready for launch, so this is your best chance to be ahead of the crowd!

Solomon's General Store & Squeal of Fortune (Free Players & Members)

Solomon's Store is packed to the rafters with cool cosmetic gear this month. First up, the Dragon Keepsake Box goes on sale. This nifty gadget allows you to turn any item into a cosmetic reskin for its usual slot, so you can take on Nex with your p-hat perched proudly on your head.

Later this month, Solomon's also stocking the first hero packs, which include costume and weapon reskins and teleport animations fashioned after iconic RuneScape heroes. With these, you can rock that Ozan panache or wield magic with beguiling style like Ariane.

Yelps is getting in on the action too, with replay tokens for your favourite D&Ds cropping up on the Squeal of Fortune. Another monthly run at the Troll Invasion? An extra weekly bash at the Circus or the newly reworked Tears of Guthix? Don't mind if I do!

Full details are coming later in the month, so keep an eye on the news and on the forums.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan; not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren’t afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#2 Xtrm

Xtrm

(ง •̀_•́)ง

• RS Name:Xtrm
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Team:Sad Unit

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

It looks like a pretty good month. I'm excited to see the increase in Dungeoneering experience, I finally don't have to deal with the horrors of floor selling to do Dungeoneering properly. It's also good that they're improving the gravestones and for once, I'm actually excited for the Squeal of Fortune update...

Edited by Xtrm, 01 November 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Looks like I stand a chance at 120DG before EoC goes live. A slim one, but at least it can exist.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 The Epoch

The Epoch

Completionist

• RS Name:The Epoch
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Dungeoneering update is by far the best one. People shouldn't have to rely on others just to train a skill.

#5 Jay

Jay

{◕ ◡ ◕}

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

View Postd4rkm4st3rz8, on 01 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Dungeoneering update is by far the best one. People shouldn't have to rely on others just to train a skill.

+1 to that, too bad I'm already 120 though.

"Your tenacity is admirable, but pointless."

Posted Image

♥ Community Leader of Guides & Tips - Pm me with all issues

#6 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Zybez's Unofficial Brony Representative

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I defy anyone to find an unpopular update this month that isn't SoF/Solomon (seriously guys, we've been hearing you complain since February, shut up). They all look so good!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#7 Chryzoprase

Chryzoprase

Capital, Old Chap.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I can't help but feel they're drowning us in exp to make up for their shortfalls elsewhere in the game.

Meh, should be an alright month. Nothing from that article really jumps out at me, though.

Posted Image
If the enemy is within firing range, then so are you.
Posted Image

#8 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Gave a bit of a sigh at Yelps' upcoming update, lol, but whatever. Everything else looks great (especially the long overdue revamp of Tears of Guthix...!).

Posted Image[/url]
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#9 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Yay for not having to deal with elitist pricks who ruin DG group experiences.

Lauren's partner in crime forever ♥
You don't really learn to appreciate the things you have until it's gone.

#10 forsberg fan

forsberg fan

• RS Name:Lord Manatee

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Looks like I'll finally be dungeoneering. Always baffled me how they basically forced people to dung together with the potential to waste collective hours when let down by strangers.
Posted Image

#11 Black

Black

• RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hmm interdasting.

#12 Echliurn

Echliurn

Dave Bodom

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Whilst DG has become an elitist situation, i cant help but think turning it into a solo skill just defeats its purpose.  Oh well.

Began 2002 - Maxed Melee 2005 - Maxed Combat 2006 - Retired 2013

Xbox Live - Dave_Bodom

Feel free to add for multiplayer

66k / 100k Gamerscore.

#13 Spliffy.

Spliffy.

Aware yourself

• RS Name:James May

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I had totally forgotten about Tears of Guthix, good to see they're giving it a make over and more rewards.
Posted Image
deviantART
PSN - NINE_HUNDRED

#14 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Zybez's Unofficial Brony Representative

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostEchliurn, on 01 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Whilst DG has become an elitist situation, i cant help but think turning it into a solo skill just defeats its purpose.  Oh well.
That's exactly the point. No other skill in RuneScape requires other people to train efficiently. With this change, it allows players who are either intimidated by elite teams and/or unable to tolerate the stupidity that is 117 Dungeoneering (77 now, IIRC) to get their fair share of the action. It's win/win for everyone involved.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan, 01 November 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#15 Wats Ronskep

Wats Ronskep

• RS Name:Wats Ronskep

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Dungeoneering will finally be fungeoneering. Woohoo. This month does looks worthwhile.

Posted Image

#16 hydraboxdog

hydraboxdog

Rover will get you.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Wow. This month looks amazing. The Tears of Guthix xp increase is great (I have both of the reqs for the better bowl), and the dunge small group/solo increase is LONG overdue. I'm thinking I'll probably continue to 80 dunge with large groups on w32, and then switch to solo to avoid snobby high-levels. And new quests (even if some are remakes) are always a plus. In short, this looks like one of the best months we've had in a while (even if it does mention SoF/SGS at the end).
"REPORT EXTENT OF TIME CURVE!"
"773 DALEKIAN SCALE 915 DEGREES!"
"COMPUTE TIME LAG BY EARTH SCALE!"
"Uh, what, uh... oh uh gee, eh uh... COMPUTER READINGS 15 EARTH MINUTES REDUCING!"
"WE ARE CLOSE BEHIND THEM! EXTERMINATE!"

#17 Bow

Bow

Let thy mind be tranquil

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

That is an unbelievable change to dungeoneering especially considering how fast the skill was already to train as long as you had a full team.  I always was a bit turned off that you had to have a 5 man team to get even substantial experience so hopefully their alluded to changes are going to definitely help this.  They didn't really specify but I hope the experience rates for a 5 man team also goes up noticeably, that way when I get to just having DG as my last remaining skill I can power through it quicker then taking 3-6 months or so with how much time needed to get it done.

I almost entirely looked over some of the other changes.  Making the 'x' option more friendly will be a huge plus for several skills, its too bad I'm done with most of the training there.  Either way that will be pretty nice for a lot of people, kind of over due too.  Changing ToG to give more exp.. I'll have to go there if it actually becomes more worth-while just to help finish off my remaining skills.  Not so much interested in the quest at this time.

Overall I would say November is looking pretty dang good.
Senior Moderator
- Feel free to PM me if you need any anything and I will do my best to help.
Specialties:
-Clan Discussion
-OSRS Price Guide ( Please use the Price Guide Help Topic for inquiries)

#18 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Not sure how I feel about that Dungeoneering update, but I suppose it's about time something was done about that. Hope the Tears of Guthix minigame turns for the better! I've got some much needed Slayer XP to gain and I'm gonna start doing that minigame :-D

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Heavens Gate

Heavens Gate

Leads to

• RS Name:RunezScape

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

The Dungeoneering update sounds pretty good but I couldnt help while reading, that at the same time I was praying that it was going to tell me that dungeoneers with higher levels didnt have to run c1s lol. But it does sound fun for those who just want to chill, gather food, make armor, weapons etc and play at their pace. It's not really my playing style but i'm glad that the option is there for others now.

The gravestone plan sounds pretty amazing also.

New Quest: If there is anything im not, it's a quester. I can't stand buying useless items and clicking next until the dialogue and quest itself is finished. I dreaded the idea of having to do a new quest, but I must say that, ever since Jagex went with updating the audio and implementing voice acting, it has really helped me get into the storylines and the quests have actually *ehem* become quite fun to do.

All in all, Novemeber looks pretty good.

Edited by Heavens Gate, 01 November 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Velits

Velits

Awesome~!

• RS Name:Velits
  • Clan:less
  • Team:Twinkle

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Very happy with this month. I enjoy dungeoneering in groups but also solo. I always found that solo'ing was a bit underrewarded and now they are fixing it :-)
Also time to get 80 mining for the 'extended' ToG.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: