• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#1 Scott

Scott

kill the switch

• RS Name:Surette
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

We have recently fixed a GP bug related to the money pouch, and its use within the Duel Arena and the Crucible. Specifically, the bug was only found by players with maximum cash stacks and so is limited to a very small number of accounts.

Sadly, some of these accounts have chosen to abuse this bug several times to generate large amounts of wealth. This is strictly against our rules, and always leads to related accounts being banned, wiped clean and left with no chance of ever being accessed again – no exceptions. People who abuse bugs will simply not be tolerated and are not welcome to play RuneScape, regardless of how long they have played or paid for.

Here is a list of some of the accounts we have banned (in no particular order):
2QO 2475 Total (Maxed Player) 606 Days Played
2College 2054 Total 170 Days Played
TzTok-Roy 2327 Total 335 Days Played
DeadEternity 2496 Total (2 200m xp stats) 462 Days Played
Zeke 1690 Total 121 Days Played
00O0OlI0lIO0 856 Total 54 Days Played
Tncd 1128 Total 87 Days Played
lbw 976 Total 27 Days Played
TvF 2132 Total 279 Days Played
x4v 693 Total 157 Days Played
WASTEDMONKEY 1978 Total 198 Days Played
Rs Completed 2496 Total (Maxed Player) 302 Days Played
d4rk_mayhem 1791 Total 296 Days Played
Serasha 2381 Total 334 Days Played
i am WeeHoo 1889 Total 197 Days Played
FlashZxFOur1 1386 Total 132 Days Played
Shopkeeper 2338 Total 256 Days Played

We are also removing the wealth from any associated accounts (mules and secondary accounts owned by the same player) found gaining wealth from the accounts mentioned above.

As well as the above, there are several other accounts that have accessed the bug but have not abused it. We will be rolling these accounts back to Friday 3rd August, before the bug was being abused and before they gained any wealth from it. We have taken this step to avoid any significant inflation issues and also to keep the game fair to everyone. Since it’s possible that these accounts found the bug by mistake, and were not abusing it, we have decided to offer the benefit of the doubt and not ban them.

Thanks to a new way of analysing data we can be very sure who was, or was not, abusing the bug. We are 100% sure that the actions we have taken are therefore accurate and we will be using this new data system to help us deal with other issues in the very near future.

For those of you concerned about the rare objects being removed from the game after the bans and rollbacks – don’t be. We have several clever and fair ways of making sure that the numbers of these rares (like party hats) remain the same.

Lastly, if you experience or hear of a bug in the game, the right thing to do is submit a bug report so that we can review it and fix ASAP.
Thanks for reading. It’s very sad for all of us when these things happen, but nobody likes a cheat and actions must and will be taken.

Daniel Clough
COO & VP of RuneScape

edit: Can't get the table of players to display correctly... someone else feel free to edit my post if they want to try to fix it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Black

Black

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Wow! RIP max accounts and alot of time spent on some of those accounts, if you need max cash in the first place to abuse this glitch not sure why you would risk it

Edited by Blackenese, 07 August 2012 - 10:31 AM.

(17:47:17) <D156> we aint fighting rot

#3 Ill_Knock0ut

Ill_Knock0ut

60 attack '07 zerker

• RS Name:Pop Eye
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostBlackenese, on 07 August 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Wow! RIP max accounts and alot of time spent on some of those accounts, if you need max cash in the first place to abuse this glitch not sure why you would risk it
The Duel Arena dupe was 50b/h. Most people that abused this didn't abuse it for the sake of being rich in RuneScape, but sold everything for real life money. One guy has sold over 400B in 5 days for roughly 100.000€

These guys should have been banned for botting already anyways, considering their names/total lvls/days played I'm 90% they are all bots. 00O0OlI0lIO0 856 Total 54 Days Played Tncd 1128 Total 87 Days Played lbw 976 Total 27 Days Played TvF 2132 Total 279 Days Played x4v 693 Total 157 Days Played

60/60 attack | 83/?? strength | 45/45 defence | 95/?? ranged | 94/?? magic | 52/52 prayer | 87/?? hitpoints | 198/240 QP | 85/?? combat
Fighter hat [X], Fighter torso [4X], Fire cape [X], Barrow gloves [X], Barrelchest anchor [X], Full void range/mage/melee [X], Berserker ring (i) [ ]
Posted Image

#4 DaveC

DaveC

Your soul. I has it.

• RS Name:Talisker

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostIll_Knock0ut, on 07 August 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

The Duel Arena dupe was 50b/h. Most people that abused this didn't abuse it for the sake of being rich in RuneScape, but sold everything for real life money. One guy has sold over 400B in 5 days for roughly 100.000€

These guys should have been banned for botting already anyways, considering their names/total lvls/days played I'm 90% they are all bots. 00O0OlI0lIO0 856 Total 54 Days Played Tncd 1128 Total 87 Days Played lbw 976 Total 27 Days Played TvF 2132 Total 279 Days Played x4v 693 Total 157 Days Played

Source on that 100,000 euro worth of GP being sold? And those days/levels seem pretty fine to me. N0valyfe maxed out within about a year or so of playing if I'm right?

Anyway, I'm interested to see how they kept the rare items the same in game. I guess they just added one to the GE at mid price or something.

Edited by DaveC, 07 August 2012 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Norman X1

Norman X1

The King Flab

• RS Name:NX1
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

It feels so good to see them being named and shamed.
Spoiler

#6 Robinhoodrs

Robinhoodrs

Banned

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

People seem to care less about this game and I would say that abusing this was a way out for them. Gaining that amount of RSGP and just selling it for irl cash, 100k Euros in 5 days, god dam.

That's the second time there was a money dupe glitch in the Crucible. Tested well I see, lol.

Posted Image

| Singles PKing Team | Twitter.com/EeS_Marco | #DontPanic |

#7 Wats Ronskep

Wats Ronskep

• RS Name:Wats Ronskep

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Haha, Jagex putting them on the spot. Just sickening how maxed players would abuse their accounts in anyway possible.

Posted Image

#8 cestal

cestal

Rightful Wielder of the Angry Hedge Clippers.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Nice work, Jagex.  Keep up the good work.
Cestal quotes:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Sir Winston Churchill, British politician (1874 - 1965)
"Your good fortune is not my misfortune" -- Cestal
Honour
"Life is pain, Highness... anyone who tells you differently is selling you something."

#9 Matchu

Matchu

Youngest of the Old

• RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostScott, on 07 August 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

For those of you concerned about the rare objects being removed from the game after the bans and rollbacks – don’t be. We have several clever and fair ways of making sure that the numbers of these rares (like party hats) remain the same.

I'd be interested to hear more about this. Apart from that, good that they're responding to these exploits quickly and decisively.

Matchu

Posted Image
Original RSC Member Number: 1191.
Official Zybez Chat: ZChat - details here.
Love is not a victory march.

#10 SMB

SMB

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostMatchu, on 07 August 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

View PostScott, on 07 August 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

I'd be interested to hear more about this. Apart from that, good that they're responding to these exploits quickly and decisively.

Matchu

This. Inb4youcangetpartyhatsoutofsequeloffortune

I'm sure those who exploited the bug will have the last laugh on this one..

Posted Image

EX:
Northern Gods Divine Forces
Cheer up

#11 Jay

Jay

(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm glad they're taking some sort of action against wrong do-ers in their game. Now they just need to address the botting situation head on and I'll be slightly happy.

"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

#12 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

I do not really see why they named a few of the banned players... they only posted their stats in previous ones.

Posted Image

#13 wuu2

wuu2

• RS Name:A Monni
  • Team:Hippos

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Rs Completed 2496 Total (Maxed Player) 302 Days Played

^ not so completed now

Edited by wuu2, 07 August 2012 - 11:18 AM.

hi

#14 cestal

cestal

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostMagick, on 07 August 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I do not really see why they named a few of the banned players... they only posted their stats in previous ones.
Shame is a good tool to modify behaviour.  They used to name people publicly who were caught doing bad things like cheating on their spouses or not paying their taxes, and the public shaming made it less likely people would do it.  Of course, now it is bad to "judge" people, so even if you are a Government official involved in making tax regulations, we aren't supposed to shame you if you break the rules.  Oddly enough, rule-breaking has risen because there is no shame attached.

Personally, I still like they quote "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

I'm sure those who exploited the bug will have the last laugh on this one..
And this is based on...?
Cestal quotes:
Honour
"Life is pain, Highness... anyone who tells you differently is selling you something."

#15 Dave

Dave

• RS Name:Dave is boss

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I like how they named some of the players that were banned lol, kudos to Jagex.
And you are?

#16 Matchu

Matchu

Youngest of the Old

• Clan:Zchat

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postcestal, on 07 August 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Shame is a good tool to modify behaviour.  They used to name people publicly who were caught doing bad things like cheating on their spouses or not paying their taxes, and the public shaming made it less likely people would do it.  Of course, now it is bad to "judge" people, so even if you are a Government official involved in making tax regulations, we aren't supposed to shame you if you break the rules.  Oddly enough, rule-breaking has risen because there is no shame attached.

Personally, I still like they quote "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

"Naming and shaming" might be an effective method in say a small town community, but in a worldwide game that uses aliases I don't think it comes into play. I doubt "00O0OlI0lIO0" cares that you know he's banned.

Not that I'm against it, I just don't see the point unless the players were well known within the RS Community.

Matchu

Posted Image
Original RSC Member Number: 1191.
Official Zybez Chat: ZChat - details here.
Love is not a victory march.

#17 Chryzoprase

Chryzoprase

Capital, Old Chap.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

I recognise "Shopkeeper" - he was a lurer. Complete ass, I hope that ban hurt :innocent:

Posted Image
If the enemy is within firing range, then so are you.
Posted Image

#18 Ill_Knock0ut

Ill_Knock0ut

60 attack '07 zerker

• RS Name:Pop Eye
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostDaveC, on 07 August 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostIll_Knock0ut, on 07 August 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Source on that 100,000 euro worth of GP being sold? And those days/levels seem pretty fine to me. N0valyfe maxed out within about a year or so of playing if I'm right?

Anyway, I'm interested to see how they kept the rare items the same in game. I guess they just added one to the GE at mid price or something.
http://www.playerauc...=matkes&ftype=2

https://kimage.playe...on_Positive.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Positive So nice ^-^
20,000M runescape Gold https://kimage.playe...n_man_green.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Buyer: ken***    (4215)
https://kimage.playerauctions.com/images/icon_crown5_v4.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Aug-04-2012 https://kimage.playe...on_Positive.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Positive ty
30,000M runescape Gold https://kimage.playe...n_man_green.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Buyer: lyn***    (3768)
https://kimage.playerauctions.com/images/icon_crown5_v4.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Aug-03-2012

Just a small start, I believe he sold for 0.40$/M so you can do the math, those two trades alone is 20.000$ already.

60/60 attack | 83/?? strength | 45/45 defence | 95/?? ranged | 94/?? magic | 52/52 prayer | 87/?? hitpoints | 198/240 QP | 85/?? combat
Fighter hat [X], Fighter torso [4X], Fire cape [X], Barrow gloves [X], Barrelchest anchor [X], Full void range/mage/melee [X], Berserker ring (i) [ ]
Posted Image

#19 NikArchangel

NikArchangel

Έρω

• RS Name:NikArchangel

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

Impressive lol, I didn't even know about any of these bugs as I've been inactive lately but kudos to Jagex for dealing with it swift and efficiently.

~Nik

Posted Image

#20 cestal

cestal

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostMatchu, on 07 August 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

View Postcestal, on 07 August 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

"Naming and shaming" might be an effective method in say a small town community, but in a worldwide game that uses aliases I don't think it comes into play. I doubt "00O0OlI0lIO0" cares that you know he's banned.

Not that I'm against it, I just don't see the point unless the players were well known within the RS Community.

Matchu

Maybe.  Then again, image is all you have on the 'net, and I find that at least Stakers and PKers seem to think that name recognition is a big thing  Everyone is looking for something different from the game and for some, especially those who are a bit younger and feel helpless in the real world, the power or status they get in the game is very real.  Either way, it is a behaviour modifier not just for those caught, but for those who are thinking about cheating...
Cestal quotes:
Honour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: