Runescape - When Do You Think It Will End?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Mizzi Rox

Mizzi Rox

• RS Name:Mizila
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

So yeah straight to the point! =3
When do you think RuneScape will end?

My Opinion: The American company who bought JaGeX is now gathering up all of the money that is left from the game (I don't think there's a need for examples) and the game will die in about 2-3 years because there will be close to no people playing and JaGeX will completly shut down RS for the lack of significant profit.

But I can be wrong, but one thing that I'm 95% sure is that RS won't last more than 5 years from now.

Edited by Mizzi Rox, 05 April 2012 - 08:35 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my YouTube channel for RS content =3

"MizilaOnRunescape"

#2 Minnesota87

Minnesota87

• RS Name:Itasca
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I don't think RS will die, I think that its market focus will change though. In essence, the game as *we* know it will die. Some people won't have a problem with the new game direction--hypothetically, the new market.

Edit: Runescape will probably eventually end, yes, but I don't see it anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Minnesota87, 05 April 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#3 Buscape

Buscape

whoyoufinnatry

• RS Name:King Niisku
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I highly doubt RS/Jagex will end, but rather it will evolve into something else, because that's how companies and life works, through the process of evolution, whether for the better, or worse. I think in a worst case scenario they will sell the company or merge it with semi-reputable people who will try and better it (marketing wise).

< -5 | 4 | +5 > Posted Image
x ex-senior member/ex-PK CL.

#4 aogMoo Lou

aogMoo Lou

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hard to see it die but it will read a point where people stop playign it and it costs more to keep game up then the money there making

Posted Image

#5 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I don't feel like Runescape is going anywhere. The game feel incomplete and always needing more updates. Sure there are other games with much better graphics, but as we all come to find out with games coming out today, graphics aren't everything. I feel Jagex needs to counter some simple solutions

1) FPS Issue

2) Wilderness

3)Trade Limit

With all these being said, I feel Jagex should advertise a little bit. Get the word out and show people that's it's still a very interactive game.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• RS Name:ToeJam

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

I don't foresee RS ending any time soon (even within 5 years). The new strategies implemented are to increase profits... but the game hasn't been running at a loss at any point in it's history.

As some one above mentioned, Runescape is constantly evolving through graphics and updates in general. Players complain and cry about it... and many threaten to leave, yet for some reason many don't despite the bluster.

Why? Because it's a catch 22 position... they've spent so much time developing their characters that to stop would seem like such a waste (even though the reality indicates that it always has been)  and therefore the game is not so much 'fun' as it is an obsessive compulsion to just keep going.

Posted Image

#7 Keenan0008

Keenan0008

Less People, Less bullcrap

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

As Long They Won't Remove Wilderness.. It will Last For while.

#8 Trainer980

Trainer980

The Man Who Sold The World

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Old Runescape:

Bad graphics + awesome game

New Runescape:

Good graphics (LOL JUST KIDDING) + boring stupid overpowered weapons/ nothing exciting bad game

I miss the old runescape =(

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Tee 3

Tee 3

d00d!

• RS Name:Tee 3
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Claiming that the American company is sucking money out of Jagex/RuneScape is pretty ridiculous - Jagex has been doing that all by themselves for the past 2-3 years.

I don't know if it will end in the forseeable future. As long as income > hosting costs/employee pay it'll keep running. Once income isn't greater than all of the factors that take money from them they'll just layoff employees or shutdown servers. As long as there is any money left in the game it will persist.

Which is, in effect, a very good thing for us.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Zybez Blogs Team Member/Guides & Tips CL

Check out my Money-Making and Training for Pvm Guides!

#10 Cynicism

Cynicism

Biggest cynic in the clan world.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Jagex is noticing the numbers of player stopping their membership, and they're trying to last until their new game comes out. Then RuneScape will go the way of RS Classic - Jagex stops updating it and focuses on their other projects, all the while the game slowly dies out until only a few people play.

Posted Image

#11 Gladz

Gladz

hypnotizing

• RS Name:Gladz

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

As long as the game stays around, new players will be coming and going all the time. Whether they stay or not is a different question.

I personally think RS is on a decline, especially after all of these silly updates lately. Some of the 'greatest' achievements, such as maxing out or getting a completionist cape, simply aren't as rewarding as they once were. Now of course this would eventually happen over time, but the game is becoming stupidly easy. There's no challenge and a lot of the 'grinding' has been taken out. As an older player, it's frustrating to see this happen. I've always jokingly said since effigies were released that it would probably be more efficient to stop playing now, and then come back in a few years when skills are 10x faster. A bit elaborated, but you get the point.

RS HistoryRetired Global Moderator Message Me

I do it because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

#12 Envy Moi

Envy Moi

That's a boss? I'm the boss.

• RS Name:Envy Moi

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Depends on what the real question is here. If you mean when will it end as in completely shut down I don't see that happening for a good 10 years after it stops being updated. The fact that rs classic is still running proves this. As long as they can make some money off it, they will keep the servers up.

Now when do I think we will stop seeing updates? I think the latest would be 2016. Honestly see it being more around 2014-2015. They've already said dungeoneering was to tie all the skills together and have stated that dungeoneering will be the last skill. Whether they will go back on that statement is a different story. We are also seeing a ton of end game content. This doesn't mean there isn't plenty of low-mid level content to be added, however, I don't see much more high level content being released, which will eventually start making high leveled players quit. Which isn't exactly a bad thing, I remember 5-6 years ago when seeing someone 120+ combat wasn't all that common. Now it's more common to see a 130+ player than someone who is lower than that.

This is all speculation of course. Who knows, in the next year jagex could release a ton of amazing updates that end up prolonging the games lifespan tremendously.

Also to the person who said the investors are just trying to suck as much money out of runescape as they can needs to think about it more logically. What would be better, a game lasting 3 years and making 5 mil a year then it dies, or a game lasting 10 years and making 2.5 mil a year then it dies.

Obviously the numbers are inaccurate, but the point is, their money is already invested. To just suck money out of rs and kill it as fast as possible makes absolutely no sense when they will earn more on their investment the longer runescape lasts.

Edited by Envy Moi, 06 April 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#13 cestal

cestal

Rightful Wielder of the Angry Hedge Clippers.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

When RS released RS2, many folks said it was the end or Runescape.  I have seen the "end of RuneScape" so many times, I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

I imagine it will end someday, but no time soon.  Something will happen to make all Internet games obsolete eventually, like virtual reality or a nuclear war.  Until then, I reckon it will come when it comes.
Cestal quotes:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Sir Winston Churchill, British politician (1874 - 1965)
"Your good fortune is not my misfortune" -- Cestal
Honour
"Life is pain, Highness... anyone who tells you differently is selling you something."

#14 Velits

Velits

Awesome~!

• RS Name:Velits
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:less
  • Team:Awesome

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Aren't we getting sick of these topics showing up every day? It is clear the quality of the game is going downhill and eventually, some time, the game will end. But I don't see it happen any time soon.

#15 Lick

Lick

League of DRAVEN

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

I think in 2008, or around that time Jagex stated that for the next 5 years runescape would be their main project. Don't know if that changed or anything but from the updates occuring recently it seems more than likely.
Diamond LoL player on EUWest,

#16 Nott Vaengr

Nott Vaengr

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

Don't forget that there is still room for new content.

New islands can be discovered....

Prifddinas has never been fleshed out...

The new RS video suggests that a new graphics engine will be introduced.

There is room for growth in my opinion.
Scoundrel for hire.  Dragons Rescued.
Virginity Cured.   Castles Plundered.  
No Brigandry Too Small.   No Fee Too Large.

#17 Sector Six

Sector Six
  • RS Name:Sector Six

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

It's obvious the game is on a decline, I don't see the company ever disontinuing it anytime though, possibly in 5 years but maybe more. There will always be new players, new people who are bored or referred to by a friend to come and play whether or not the majority of the gaming community considers the game bad. It is a true fact that when you start this game it is fun, it has it's appeal to which older and veteran players don't have anymore. In reality though the older player base of the game is really just moving on though, numbers playing will decrease, the game progress (updates and such), will probably slow down, but Jagex will always remain to fund the game I think.

Global Moderator
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
AOTM/ASC Leader x Achievements Co-Leader x Multimedia & Design Leader
My inbox is always open, feel free to PM me any issues or questions you may have.
Posted Image

#18 Kaur

Kaur

• Clan:RSD
  • Team:Team NH

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

In this thread: Ignorant anti-jagex activists.

RS will still be here in 10+ years unless they stop updating the game which would still keep the game running for about 5 more years before it's death.
The whole playerbase will obviously be replaced by a new generation and the game will be completely different to what it is today.
Posted Image
Coming soon from Jagex Software! Runescape, our massive multiplayer adventure. Trade and communicate with other players. Learn skills to earn money, or if you're brave attempt to find riches in the dungeons. Your charactor will continue to evolve and improve the more you play, with quests to complete for extra rewards. Choose good or evil the choice is entirely yours!

#19 forsberg fan

forsberg fan

• RS Name:Lord Manatee

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

For all the complaints from Runescape's high level/long time player community (I would consider myself and most of the people on this forum in that category) I think it is the low level content that will dictate the longevity of Runescape. If they don't get a new generation of players interested and hooked on the game, it doesn't matter how much high level content they produce, older players will always be leaving the game for various reasons, whether reaching their final goal or real life commitments, the game cannot be supported by the maxed (or close to it) community alone.
Posted Image

#20 Big Bad Tank

Big Bad Tank

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

runescape will never die down, and even if it does private servers will still be around, plenty of them have thousands of active members, if you combine all people who play servers and not real rs its a decent number
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: