Back From A Break? Here's What You Missed... [Updated: 07/08/13]

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

POPULAR

Hey everyone. Due to the fact a number of people often come here asking about what's changed in RuneScape since they were last active (understandably not wanting want to have to trawl through an extensive News archive), RSC's staff have very kindly given me an opportunity to compile a list which catalogues key updates the game's seen over these past few years. Some brief commentary which seeks to outline the basics with further links to Zybez/RS Wiki (official and unofficial) pages that will take readers into more detail accompany everything that's been deemed "noteworthy". But remember that this is by no means exhaustive. If you think something's been [unfairly] left out, feel free to leave a comment and it'll be looked into ASAP. Pre-2009 content can be summarised as well so long as there is demand for it.

So, without further ado:

Spoiler

2012:
Spoiler

2011:
Spoiler

2010:
Spoiler

2009:
Spoiler

Recurring experience-related events
Spoiler

RuneFest
Spoiler

Don't be shy to give feedback! :king:

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#2 N3V3R S4W

N3V3R S4W

• RS Name:BrokenFedex
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

This will be very helpful to those coming back to the game. Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Edited by Radke Legend, 15 March 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#3 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Looks nice. Glad to see someone stepped up for the new incoming people! I was going to make the tip about it, but I hope a Mod puts this as a sticky in the Questions board.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 bolsh

bolsh

understanding

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

geez, soul wars was 2009? that seems so long ago.

thanks for this sticky, it will definitely be helpful for anyone looking for information :-)
"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#5 *Tom*

*Tom*

Expect to win.

• RS Name:BornSkulled

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Epic post; assuming people think to look at it.

Either way even for those of us who have been here throughout all of it, this is a great reference tool and honestly something pretty cool to look back on! Great job Murdoc!

Tooheyy @SwiftIRC

Posted Image

>> Zybez Content Team << - >>Zchat Moderator<< - >> Zybez20 Team <<

Posted Image

#6 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostMurdoc, on 05 March 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

2010:
Spoiler

Perhaps you could add the special of the Staff of Light. It takes 100% of the bar and lowers melee damage to you.

But I will be linking this very often with my explanations.

Edited by Jim, 05 March 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostBroken Frame, on 05 March 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

This would probably be more beneficial in the Tips section. Nonetheless this will be very helpful to those coming back to the game. Thanks for taking the time to make this.
Logically this is the place someone with such a problem would come to first. Tips tends to be a home for players who're already comfortable and are more interested in maximising their efficiency (and so on). ^_^ Merci for the good faith though lads, and don't worry Jim I'm on it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Murdoc, 05 March 2012 - 11:45 PM.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#8 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostMurdoc, on 05 March 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

View PostBroken Frame, on 05 March 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

This would probably be more beneficial in the Tips section. Nonetheless this will be very helpful to those coming back to the game. Thanks for taking the time to make this.
Logically this is the place someone with such a problem would come to first. Tips tends to be a home for players who're already comfortable and are more interested in maximising their efficiency (and so on). ^_^ Merci for the good faith though lads, and don't worry Jim I'm on it. :thumbsup:
You just blew my mind because I honestly saw Tips in a different light. Loving the sticky and I'll also be using and spreading it like wildfire (Assuming people will actually post questions about coming back now).

Posted Image

#9 Cynicism

Cynicism

Biggest cynic in the clan world.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Sweet, now I can look back and see how long I've been playing this game!

Posted Image

#10 Gladz

Gladz

hypnotizing

• RS Name:Gladz

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

It's beautiful as expected. :-D Crazy looking back on some of the updates and seeing just how long ago they really were.

Little feedback: how about flipping the order so that the most recent updates are at the top? Nothing major, it's just that newer updates get a lot more attention than older ones.

RS HistoryRetired Global Moderator Message Me

I do it because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

#11 F4llen Princess

F4llen Princess

Forever scaping :)

• RS Name:F4llen xx

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

This is great, never seen all this in one place before. So much has changed :(
† "A modern scientist will find an arrowhead in a field and conclude that it was designed and created by an ancient man. Then he will find a fossil right next to it, a billion times more complex, and say it came from nothing. Only Christ could build a bridge to God with only two pieces of wood." †
Skill In Peace
Selling my purple phat to buy herby supplies for the bxpw. Willing to take anything over 900m at this point.
Always happy to help if I can :)

#12 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostGladz, on 06 March 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Little feedback: how about flipping the order so that the most recent updates are at the top? Nothing major, it's just that newer updates get a lot more attention than older ones.
No worries. I was going to say that it might be a bit irksome for people who've been gone for several years as opposed to a few months to 1, but those spoiler tags probably make it easier for them to scroll now (which is where RS Wiki really falls down haha).

Edited by Murdoc, 06 March 2012 - 07:39 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Oh awesome idea, I had always wondered about something like this since a considerable percentage of questions are from returning players.

Good job all around.

Posted Image

#14 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Add graphical rework perhaps? I'll help with this if you want me to.

Edited by Milktea4me, 07 March 2012 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Tact

Tact

Master Magician

• RS Name:Tact
  • Clan:Darken S0uls

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Would you consider changing the thread's title to something like "Back from break: What did you miss?" The current title doesn't capture the sticky's intent for me; it just sounds like an archive of Runescape updates for general browsing.
Posted Image

#16 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostMilktea4me, on 07 March 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't think that's must-know information considering all it's done is make 'Scape a bit prettier. Pretty obvious what's happened the moment you log in, too. :-/

View PostTact, on 07 March 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Would you consider changing the thread's title to something like "Back from break: What did you miss?" The current title doesn't capture the sticky's intent for me; it just sounds like an archive of Runescape updates for general browsing.
You have an excellent point. :-D

Edited by Murdoc, 07 March 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostMurdoc, on 07 March 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostMilktea4me, on 07 March 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't think that's must-know information considering all it's done is make 'Scape a bit prettier. Pretty obvious what's happened the moment you log in, too. :-/
Perhaps add this picture to revamped armor from the news section if anyone would be interested? http://i40.tinypic.com/1179ti0.png

Posted Image

#18 Evi

Evi

Join Zchat, Zybez's Fchat

• RS Name:Evidently
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Ohhh this is a great idea, it was also a fun read to go over for even a active player.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

View PostMilktea4me, on 07 March 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

Perhaps add this picture to revamped armor from the news section if anyone would be interested? http://i40.tinypic.com/1179ti0.png
Hmm, going to stick with my guns here. The last thing I want happening is for this to become a generic breakdown of every update.

Posted Image

#20 Redshift

Redshift

• RS Name:Blueshift

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Excellent idea!

"Far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it.

Why do the poets of the present not speak of it?"

-Richard Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: