Can't Stay Focused.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 itsme1

itsme1

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong thread. It seemed logical to post it here.

I am having an issue with schoolwork. For as long as I can remember, I have had a hard time focusing on the task at hand. I am constantly getting distracted. I don't have ADD, or anything like that.

I can't focus on the task at hand. I remember in 4th grade, I had the hardest time getting my math done in class. One day I got in trouble for something so I had to go sit at a desk in the corner away from everyone else. That day I finished my math quickly, with no trouble at all. There were no distractions. Now I am a freshmen in college and I am worse about staying focused then I used to be. I used to think I struggled with procrastination, but I think the issue is more just the distractions that come while doing my homework.

Whats worse is I am taking this term online. Big mistake. I have to use a computer with internet access now to get my work done. I end up on youtube, or just googling random stuff and before I know it hours have gone by and I have accomplished very little.

It's like if I could build myself a little white box with an empty desk, a computer that only lets me visit the website I need to visit, then I could work.

I need help. Any advice?

ps. Mods, feel free to move/close this if that is the action that needs to be taken.

Edited by itsme1, 22 February 2012 - 02:41 PM.

("\(-_-)/")
Posted Image

#2 Evidently

Evidently

Join Zchat, Zybez's Fchat

• RS Name:Evidently
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Same thing happens to me whenever i do my homework, I end up going on this site or something else and goofing around and getting nothing done.

I am definitively going to check back in on this question.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 a despair

a despair

legend

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Its all about time management my friend, Wake up, On a piece of paper, put a timing for everything. Trust me your life will run more smoothly, and you'll be more organized and get things done.

For example:

9am-1pm- class

2-4- hw

5-6- gym

7- Free

Edited by a despair, 22 February 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image

#Jaja Making bank since '04

State of dont panic:

(19:03:29) <Stillfly> its 10 am on a sunday night

(18:25:26) <Own> Gratz u killed 1 dp member for 50m..wowww

#4 The Corf

The Corf

The Corf has been doubled

• RS Name:The Corf
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

you could try listening to music while doing homework, it works for me :thumbsup:

If people were rain, i was drizzle and she was a hurricane

Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I feel in love with her the way you fall asleep

Slowly, then all at once.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/TheCorf

#5 ʍɐɹsɔɐdǝ

ʍɐɹsɔɐdǝ

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

sounds like a.d.d. to me... I know because I have the same "problem". Having a.d.d. doesn't mean something is wrong with you. It just means you think differently and are motivated differently. For me, something needs to be challenging in order to get me motivated. and yes as despair said, keep to a written schedule... not a mental one where you can "cheat" your schedule. Have it on paper beforehand and force yourself to adhere to it.

Vince Lombardi said:

Individual commitment to a group effort -- that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

#6 itsme1

itsme1

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

You're right. I may have a symptom of A.D.D., but that doesn't mean I have a disorder. And I am definitely not hyperactive. I suppose if you are just loosely using the term A.D.D., then you are correct.

I think I really need to work on my self control at the same time. That's the only way I'll stick to a written schedule. Which is an excellent idea, by the way.
("\(-_-)/")
Posted Image

#7 Wes

Wes

Para libertad y igualdad.

• RS Name:Bad Dogs
  • Clan:None

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

I sort of have the same problem; I get bored very easily and need to go do something else. My solution is to break all of my homework/online assignments into smaller sections and complete them sequentially over a longer period of time. It's a great process if you're responsible enough to keep track of what you have to do. I do the same for studying as well, never doing more than twenty minutes of it at a time.
Only once a man casts aside his chains and stretches his limbs towards the sky will he finally know, and oh what crushing reality this knowledge is, that he can never be free of himself.

#8 Tenacious

Tenacious

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I have the same problem as well lol. I spend hours doing boring pointless crap on the internet until I finally get to my schoolwork, and I have a hard time paying attention in school . I'm screwed when I get to college

Posted Image

#9 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

The only thing that did the trick for me was doing all my assignments and exam revision with friends or my parents. If you're working with other people then the added weight of not wanting to ruin their chances of doing well on top of your own will always pull through over each individual's otherwise [very] disruptive tendencies. No joke. Making a timetable acting as though it was going to mark the start of a revolutionary new phase of my academic life, listening to music so the outside world was cut-off, all those kinds of 'tactics' ended up as either wastes of paper or made the situation even worse.

Edited by Murdoc, 23 February 2012 - 04:10 AM.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#10 Luftey

Luftey

• RS Name:Luftey
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostMurdoc, on 23 February 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

The only thing that did the trick for me was doing all my assignments and exam revision with friends or my parents. If you're working with other people then the added weight of not wanting to ruin their chances of doing well on top of your own will always pull through over each individual's otherwise [very] disruptive tendencies. No joke. Making a timetable acting as though it was going to mark the start of a revolutionary new phase of my academic life, listening to music so the outside world was cut-off, all those kinds of 'tactics' ended up as either wastes of paper or made the situation even worse.

I'm in agreement here. I can usually stay somewhat focused, but, when the work gets hard, I easily get frustrated and "take a little break on the internet" which ends up being  few hours.  For classes such as physics, myself and 3 others from the class meet on Friday's to work on the homework as a group, this prevents distractions as you can't be sitting at a table with others and watching youtube while they do the work.

An option would be going to your school's computer lab or somewhere where you'd feel awkward if you did anything other than homework. Unfortuantly, with online classes, there isn't really away to prevent yourself from going to other sites "/

Posted Image

#11 El Ragingski

El Ragingski

Freakin' Legendary

• RS Name:None

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

You don't have any sort of disorder or whatever. I suffer from something similar, not a lack of focus but general laziness. I would personally put away everything I have to do till later times. You don't have the same issue as me but its quite similar, more than you'd think actually.

Generally speaking, you have to be self motivated. You have to convince yourself that you MUST understand the lesson, you must convince yourself to do your work on time and all the stuff you probably were lectured 10 times before. Thing is, these stuff actually do matter.

Other than the whole spiritual mumbo jumbo (Like I said, it does matter), you have to take the necessary steps. For lectures, I used to find myself unable to focus if I don't get enough sleep. Therefore, get enough sleep. Next, make sure your schedule is appropriate. Don't take 4 lectures all after each other if you have trouble focusing. Instead, try to fit in an hour break whenever possible between 2 lectures so your mind can rest (Yes this includes online lectures). For studying I find myself just like you distracted often by the computer, thats why I just print out whatever needed and sit at a table away from the computer, and whatever material I need I put in my iPad (If you don't have one, just use a smart phone or whatever).

If you want to be a boss and control yourself, get yourself one of them internet control programs. Block the websites you usually visit and put a random password that you can't remember and write it in a piece of paper and put it somewhere away from you, a car or a room at the other end of your place would suffice. Seems excessive? Perhaps but when everything else fails, you have to try doing something.
Something less excessive: Try using your phone for your course, if its a video stream then in most phones you can't view something else without the stream pausing itself/disconnecting. This will put you off viewing anything else.

Your problem is one of those that no matter how much advice is given on the matter, it wouldn't help unless you convince yourself of whats important. Been there mate, asked for a billion advice and none of it worked until I took matters into my own hands

Edited by El Ragingski, 26 February 2012 - 11:24 AM.

stink the haters

#12 Valkyrie Missile

Valkyrie Missile

Got It Memorized?

• RS Name:Vmissile Dx

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

This trick works for me usually since I do kinda have the same problem, but it does take a little bit of dedication when I can't focus.

Time yourself when doing your homework. Pretend it is not your homework, but your actually taking an exam.  Time it for as long as you would like to spend on your exam, and just go with it. If your using a computer, go on a website like this:http://www.online-st...ountdown-timer/ and simulate the idea if you were taking an exam.

I try to speed through my homework, and do it as correct as possible under these conditions. See if it works for you.

#13 Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter

Longest avatar runner up :-(: 2010-2011 [Damn you Matchu]

• RS Name:Shadow 2nd

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but before you try and other tactics it's essential that you get the basics right.

1) Sleep, make sure you are well rested, try to make your sleeping patterns stable, go to bed at a regular time, and wake up around the same time. This will allow your brain to adjust, and eventually you will wake up without feeling groggy or tired. This is essential for good concentration.

2) Diet, make sure you eat healthily. Too many carbohydrates in the day will make you tired and groggy, too much protein or sugar will make you energetic and restless. Have a slow release carbohydrate for breakfast, porridge, bran, muesli, cornflakes, whatever floats your boat, don't add too much sugar. A good lunch is lots of vegetables and some protein. If you can go to the shops get something like an [html="http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/things-we-make/veg-pots/portuguese-red-pepper-piri-piri"]Innocent Veg Pot[/url] with a sausage roll, or whatever healthy looking meal your school has on offer.

3) Exercise, get the blood pumping often enough and your body will get much better at getting blood to the grey cells. Personally, I'm too lazy to get into a regular routine, but I've been told that it can work a treat, and I have noticed that I have a lot more energy after doing some strenuous activity. Go for a morning run or go to the gym every now and then, play some sports during your lunch break. It's all good. Just don't overdo it and make yourself tired before you need to concentrate.

Furthermore: Don't under any circumstances have caffeine, coffee in the morning will gradually lower concentration levels as you build up a tolerance. You will eventually get dependant on it, causing you to lose concentration when you don't have caffeine. As long as you don't have it too often, it can be very useful to perk you up if working long hours. Personally I used to have energy drinks all the time, I cut them out and now I only drink them on long car journeys. Now they really perk me up, when before they had little to no effect.

Good luck!
Posted Image
12+ Years on RS. 11+ Years on Zybez. Original member #7321, Original Join date November 2002. Damn that's a long time!
Shadow_2nd / Xbox Gamertag: Carpin Taxt
Conart, my friends art blog.
NEW! I have finally created a blog showcasing selfies of all my exploits on GTA online! Check it out here.

#14 netforce

netforce

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

• RS Name:net force

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

this semester for me has been pretty bad as i always get bored of my work so fast and eventually stay up all night to do my homework. few things i've been trying to do to help

when i do work that doesn't need my computer i just simply turned it off and listened to music on another device. if i'm trying to write something on my laptop i turned off the wifi

something else that my mom made me do in high school was use those egg timers for me, i could go on the internet but for say 10 mins at a time then get back to work. in college i've been trying to use it since time flies so fast when on things like reddit or rsc so i might try to give my self 5 mins of a break then get back to work
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: