4.3 - The King Black Dragon
4.4 - Skeletal Wyverns
4.5 - The Dragonkin
4.6 - The Queen Black Dragon
5.0 - Tips and Tricks
6.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
7.0 - Credits

1.0 - Introduction

So you want to hunt some dragons, my fellow RuneScaper, but you don't know where you'll need to start? What kind of gear you'll need? Whether or not to write home to your mother and say goodbye to the ones you love in case you don't return? Never fear, Lieutenant Dan is here! So, I'm going to try and keep this guide pretty straightforward, because I know you want to be back in Gielinor and killing you some dragons! So here we go!

First off, the gear for hunting most dragons is pretty straight-forward, but a few require slight tweaks and those will be listed in their respective sections... So let's take a look, shall we?

1.1 - Gear

General Gear to Note:
The following gear is recommended and useful across ALL methods of dragon slaying.

Posted Image
Dragonbane Bolts: After completion of Ritual of the Mahjarrat you unlock the ability to craft Bane Bolts. By tuning your bane ore with Dragon Bones, you create Dragonbane bolts. These bolts do more damage against draconic creatures and are recommended if you're planning on ranging them.

Posted Image
Antifire: This potion protects you where your Anti-fire Shield or Dragonfire Shield cannot. Using this potion in conjunction with these shields grants 100% immunity to dragon's breath. However, using this without a shield offers significantly less protection, rendering it almost worthless. These are tradeable and cost roughtly 3,000 gold each. They can also be made using the Herblore skill by combining a Lantadyme potion with ground Blue Dragon Scales, assuming you have 68 or higher in the skill.

Posted Image
Super Antifire: This potion offers 100% protection from any and all dragon's breath. Untradeable, it requires 85 or higher Herblore and can be made by combining a 3-dose Antifire potion with the feather from a Desert Phoenix.

Please note that the gear pictured is what I was using for the tests (unless otherwise noted), but the text below the images is what is best to worst.

Standard Melee
Posted Image Posted Image
Melee is pretty standard when coming toe to toe with these fire-breathing behemoths. You'll want to maximize your stabbing offense, because for some reason dragons don't appreciate being stabbed in the face.

Gear (from best to worst)
Helmet: Slayer's Helmet/Black Mask (ONLY ON SLAYER TASKS) → Fighter Hat → Helm of Neitiznot → Barrows
Amulet: Amulet of Fury → Amulet of Glory
Cape: Tokhaar-Kal → Fire Cape → Soul Wars Cape → Skillcape (t) → Obsidian Cape
Torso: Bandos Chestplate → Fighter Torso → Barrows
Legs: Bandos Tassets → Barrows
Boots: Steadfast Boots → Dragon Boots → Rune Boots
Gloves: Dragonslayer Gloves (ONLY ON SLAYER TASKS) → Barrows Gloves → Best Recipe for Disaster gloves you can wear → Dragon Gauntlets → Combat Bracelet
Ring: Onyx Ring (i) → Berserker Ring (i) → Ring of Wealth → Ring of Life
Shield Hand: Dragon Defender (85+ Herblore) → Rune Defender (85+ Herblore) → Dragonfire Shield → Anti-fire Shield
Weapon: Chaotic Rapier → Chaotic Longsword → Korasi's Sword → Zamorakian Spear (85+ Herblore) → Brackish Blade → Leaf-Bladed Sword

Standard Ranged
So you'd rather throw things at these beasts than cut them down to size? Good news is that it is just as easy, sometimes even easier than testing your mettle against them with a blade. Just a note, dragons also don't like being shot either.

Helmet: Full Slayer's Helmet (ONLY ON SLAYER TASKS) → Armadyl Helmet/Robin Hood hat → Karil's Coif → Dragonhide Coif
Amulet: Amulet of Ranging → Amulet of Fury → Amulet of Glory
Cape: Ava's Device
Ammunition: Dragonbane Bolts → Broad Bolts → Adamant Bolts
Torso: Armadyl Chestplate → Karil's Leather Top → Black D'hide Body
Legs: Armadyl Chainskirt → Karil's Leather Skirt → Black D'hide Chaps
Boots: Glaiven Boots → Ranger Boots → Snakeskin Boots
Gloves: Mercenary Gloves → Best Recipe for Disaster gloves you can wear → Combat Bracelet
Ring: Onyx Ring (i) → Archer's Ring (i) → Ring of Wealth → Ring of Life
Shield Hand: Illuminated Unholy Book (85+ Herblore) → Eagle-Eye Kiteshield (85+ Herblore) → Anti-fire Shield → Dragonfire Shield
Weapon: Chaotic Crossbow → Rune Crossbow

Standard Magic
If you're one of those arcane types, then you're in luck. Metallic dragons, being made of metal, are prone to magical damage. I would advise this only on Bronze through Steel dragons, as Mithril Dragons and the Chromatic Dragons are an entirely different story.

Helmet: Full Slayer's Helmet (ONLY ON SLAYER TASKS) → Ganodermic Visor → Farseer Helmet → Infinity Hat → Dagon'hai Hat → Mystic Hat
Amulet: Arcane Stream Necklace → Amulet of Fury → Amulet of Glory
Cape: God Cape → Tokhaar-Kal → Fire Cape → Soul Wars Cape → Skillcape (t)
Torso: Ganodermic Poncho → Ahrim's Robe Top → Infinity Robes → Dagon'hai Robe Top → Mystic Robes
Legs: Ganodermic Leggings → Ahrim's Chainskirt → Infinity Bottoms → Dagon'hai Robe Bottom → Mystic Robes
Boots: Ragefire Boots → Infinity Boots → Wizard Boots
Gloves: Best Recipe for Disaster gloves you can wear → Infinity Gloves → Combat Bracelet
Ring: Onyx Ring (i) → Seer's Ring (i) → Ring of Wealth → Ring of Life
Shield Hand: Arcane Spirit Shield (85+ Herblore) → Farseer Kiteshield (85+ Herblore) → Mage's Book → Unholy Book → Anti-fire Shield → Dragonfire Shield
Weapon: Chaotic Staff → Polypore Staff → Staff of Light

Void Melee
Posted Image

Helmet: Void Melee Helmet
Amulet: Amulet of Fury → Amulet of Glory
Cape: Tokhaar-Kal → Fire Cape → Soul Wars Cape → Skillcape (t) → Obsidian Cape
Torso: Elite Void Torso → Void Knight Torso
Legs: Elite Void Legs → Void Knight Legs
Boots: Steadfast Boots → Dragon Boots → Rune Boots
Gloves: Void Knight Gloves
Ring: Onyx Ring (i) → Berserker Ring (i) → Ring of Wealth → Ring of Life
Shield Hand: Dragon Defender (85+ Herblore) → Rune Defender (85+ Herblore) → Dragonfire Shield → Anti-fire Shield → Void Deflector (if replacing your Torso/Legs/Gloves)
Weapon: Chaotic Rapier → Chaotic Longsword → Korasi's Sword → Zamorakian Spear (85+ Herblore) → Brackish Blade → Leaf-Bladed Sword

Void Ranged
Posted Image

Helmet: Void Ranger Helmet
Amulet: Amulet of Ranging → Amulet of Fury → Amulet of Glory
Cape: Ava's Device
Ammunition: Dragonbane Bolts → Broad Bolts → Adamant Bolts
Boots: Glaiven Boots → Ranger Boots → Snakeskin Boots
Ring: Onyx Ring (i) → Archer's Ring (i) → Ring of Wealth → Ring of Life
Shield Hand: Illuminated Unholy Book (85+ Herblore) → Eagle-Eye Kiteshield (85+ Herblore) → Anti-fire Shield → Dragonfire Shield → Void Deflector (if replacing your Torso/Legs/Gloves)
Weapon: Chaotic Crossbow → Rune Crossbow

Void Mage
Posted Image

Helmet: Void Mage Helmet
Amulet: Arcane Stream Necklace → Amulet of Fury → Amulet of Glory
Cape: God Cape → Fire Cape → Soul Wars Cape → Skillcape (t)
Boots: Ragefire Boots → Infinity Boots → Wizard Boots<br />
Ring: Onyx Ring (i) → Seer's Ring (i) → Ring of Wealth → Ring of Life
Shield Hand: Arcane Spirit Shield (85+ Herblore) → Farseer Kiteshield (85+ Herblore) → Mage's Book → Unholy Book → Anti-fire Shield → Dragonfire Shield → Void Deflector (if replacing your Torso/Legs/Gloves)
Weapon: Chaotic Staff → Polypore Staff → Staff of Light

1.2 - Summoning Familiars

When hunting dragons, the most useful familiars to use are definitely Beasts of Burden. This is because it allows you to carry more of the drops, allowing for longer trips and thus more profit. However, some of you may prefer to use combat familiars. I don't advise this because very few of the dragons are in a multicombat zone. If you're more cautious, a healing familiar can be helpful, but is generally overkill. Below is a list of commonly used familiars and their uses.
Posted Image
Thorny Snail | Level 13 Summoning | 3 extra inventory slots | 16 minutes
Posted Image
Spirit Kalphite | Level 25 Summoning | 6 extra inventory slots | 22 minutes
Posted Image
Void Spinner | Level 34 Summoning | Heals 10 LP every 15 seconds | 27 minutes
Posted Image
Bull Ant | Level 40 Summoning | 9 extra inventory slots | 30 minutes
Posted Image
Spirit Terrorbird | Level 52 Summoning | 12 extra inventory slots | 36 minutes
Posted Image
War Tortoise | Level 67 Summoning | 18 extra inventory slots | 43 minutes
Posted Image
Bunyip | Level 68 Summoning | Heals 20 LP every 15 seconds | 44 minutes
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Fire/Ice/Moss Titan | Level 79 Summoning | SCROLL: Restores health and boosts Defense by 12.5% | 62(fire)/64(ice)/58(moss) minutes
Posted Image
Unicorn Stallion | Level 88 Summoning | SCROLL: Restores 15% of health | 54 minutes
Posted Image
Pack Yak | Level 96 Summoning | 30 extra inventory spaces. SCROLL: Banks one item | 58 minutes

1.3 - A Note on Difficulties

I realize that some of you reading this guide may not be maxed combat with Soul Split and Turmoil. I have tried to keep this in mind when writing the difficulties, but I am not perfect. As such, the numbers I give have been modified to reflect some lower combat stats. Here's a short description of my rating system.

1: Easy to AFK, little or no healing required, mistakes are hard to make.
3: Still able to AFK, but more attention required. Some healing needed for lower levels. Mistakes are not costly.
5: Relying on Soul Split flicking for recovery becomes a risk at this point. Healing definitely required, Prayer recommended but not necessary
7: Prayer recommended, sometimes necessary. Healing required, but teleport tablets not needed unless worried. Mistakes can be costly.
10: Be on your guard, pay attention to hitpoints/prayer points, teleport tablets recommended. Healing and Prayer restoration strongly advised and/or necessary. Mistakes can be fatal.

2.0 - The Chromatic Dragons
The Chromatic Dragons are the standard dragons of lore. They come in four colors, Green, Blue, Red, or Black. Slaying these dragons is good news for rangers as their hides make the versatile dragon hide armors. The chromatic dragons are probably the easiest dragons to kill, since they cannot breathe their fire over distances, allowing you to safespot them (where possible). For those of you with mastery of binding spirits, the adult dragons will drop eggs for you to raise your own hatchling dragon.

All chromatic dragons, save Green, have baby variants that can be killed for credit towards their respective Slayer tasks. The baby variants do NOT have the ability to breathe fire and will not be covered in this guide, but their level will be noted.

2.1 - Green Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 79
Life Points: 750
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (85)
Spawn Locations:
  • West of Dark Warrior's Fortress (LEVEL 12-14 WILDERNESS)
  • Southeast of Lava Maze (LEVEL 34-38 WILDERNESS)
  • East of Bone Yard (LEVEL 19-24 WILDERNESS)
  • Chaos Tunnels
  • Forinthry Dungeon (LEVEL 17-18 WILDERNESS)
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Green Dragonhide, Starved Ancient Effigy, Clue Scroll (Hard)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 70+

NOTE: Even though these can be fought in the Chaos Tunnels in non-wilderness combat zones, I don't recommend it. This is because the Green Dragons always have friends in their chamber, usually Baby Black Dragons and they like to be annoying. But, it certainly is viable. If you do fight them in the Wilderness, make sure you bring a teleport (I recommend an Amulet of Glory or Ring of Wealth because Dragonstone jewelry can teleport you up to level 30 Wilderness instead of the usual 20). Fight at your own risk.

Melee:
Difficulty: 1/10 Just bring your stab weapon and some Adamant or higher armor and you'll be set here. They hit so low and so infrequently that it's a joke. If you're lower defense (or in lesser armors) some Monkfish+ for periodic healing might be required. I killed 100 in the Forinthry Dungeon along with the ones west of the Dark Warrior's Fortress. Now, there were some PKers there so be wary, but they were mostly at the Forinthry Dungeon. Don't bring things you aren't willing to lose!

Ranged:
Difficulty: 1/10 With dragonhide armor being so cheap today (along with Rune Crossbows and Broad Bolts), the expense of ranging here is next to nothing... I think I calculated it at 4 kills covered the cost of the Black D'hide and the bolts I used. Again, relatively straightforward but remember that D'hide has weaker melee defense so if you're below roughly 70 defense you'll need more food. As always, watch out for PKers. Even with Broad Bolts, these dragons fell by the dozens.

Magic:
Difficulty: 2.5/10 Now, they are dragons and have a high resistance to magic, but that didn't make them impossible. Using a Polypore staff I was able to damage them regularly, but I did splash quite a bit. Regardless, it certainly is viable for magic players, and mage pures would do nicely here with a decent magic level (80+). Anything less than that, you're probably wasting your time.

2.11 - Brutal Green Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 227
Life Points: 1750
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (182), Magic (182)
Spawn Locations:
  • Ancient Cavern
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Green Dragonhide (x2), Dragon Longsword, Dragon Medium Helmet, Mangled Bones, Starved Ancient Effigy, Clue Scroll (Hard)
Strategy:
These brutes aren't fought conventionally, so I won't write an initial guide for it. However, if there is a demand for it I will detail a strategy.

2.2 - Blue Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 111
Life Points: 1100
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (110)
Spawn Locations:
  • Taverly Dungeon
  • Taverly Resource Dungeon (Requires 60 Dungeoneering)
  • Ogre Enclave (Requires partial completion of The Watchtower)
  • Heroes' Guild
  • Kuradal's Dungeon (Requires 75 Slayer and a task from Kuradal)
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Blue Dragonhide, Starved Ancient Effigy, Clue Scroll (Hard)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 75+

Melee:
Difficulty: 2/10 These dragons are pretty straightforward when using melee. In my test, I was able to kill 100 blue dragons in a little over an hour using only my Chaotic Rapier and my Seer's Elite Enhanced Excalibur to heal. Keeping in mind I'm maxed melee and was wearing Bandos, I think anyone with 80+ defense and using Barrows Armor (preferably Torag's) should have no problem staying here for extended time with a few sharks or better food. If you don't have 96 Summoning to bank the bones/hides via a Pack Yak, then a War Tortoise or Terrorbird is advised to allow you to bank less often. They don't hit very hard or often, and they do drop cooked Bass from time to time. The most convenient place to fight them is Kuradal's Dungeon (due to the Ferocious Ring's boost) but you need to be on a task for that. Otherwise if you can, use the Taverly Resource Dungeon as it is less crowded. The Heroes' Guild only has one spawn that is often fought over, so it is not recommended.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 2/10 These blue brutes are pretty much just harder hitting, more accurate versions of their green counterparts, and the strategy remains the same... With one slight change. If you happen to get these as a task from Kuradal, then bring darts or knives with you. The Ferocious Ring +40 LP boost works wonders against them, making them into swiss cheese in no time. Again, not a problem with Elite Enhanced Excalibur, but the regular one will work just as well. Bring some food if you're worried and/or staying for a long time if you can't flick Soul Split, but in all the locations they spawn in, safespotting is usable. If anyone needs me to upload safespots, please let me know!

Magic:
Difficulty: 4/10 Again, their magic resistance comes into play here. While they certainly were easy enough to take down, it was generally harder than melee or range. It is certainly viable (and I see people do it often at the Heroes' Guild), but costly and not as efficient as ranging or melee. Again, some food is necessary if not safe-spotting and/or SS flicking.

2.3 - Red Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 152
Life Points: 1400
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (144)
Spawn Locations:
  • Red Dragon Isle (LEVEL 37-42 WILDERNESS)
  • Brimhaven Dungeon
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Red Dragonhide, Starved Ancient Effigy, Clue Scroll (Hard)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 95+

Melee:
Difficulty: 5.5/10 This is where it starts to become difficult, even for high levels. Red Dragons aren't fought very often because they're quite uncommon and hard to get to. On top of that, they actually start to hit hard enough and often enough where Elite Enhanced Excalibur and Soul Split can have difficulty in spots keeping you alive. On top of that, they're never alone. In the Wilderness there are PKers to worry about (and in my test of 100, I saw enough to make me worry) and in the Brimhaven Dungeon they have Baby Red Dragons and Wild Dogs as friends. Overall they're not too bad, but Protect from Melee is definitely an alternative to tanking their hits, because they do hit hard enough and often enough to warrant it.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 4/10 Why is ranged easier than meleeing them? Simple: safespots. In both locations they can be safe-spotted with a little effort (in Brimhaven watch out for random Baby Red Dragons or Wild Dogs). They have about the same defense as their blue counterparts, meaning your bolts/arrows/knives shred through their scaly hides. Unfortunately, they don't have the boon that Blue Dragons due in the Ferocious Ring, but if using Broad or higher bolts in a Rune/Chaotic crossbow, you won't notice a difference unless you have an abysmally low ranged level.

Magic:
Difficulty: 8/10 No. They have stupid high magic defense, despite what their combat level suggests. With 96 Magic using Polypore staff, I had trouble KOing them efficiently. While not outside the realms of possibility (I mean there's been people beating TzTok-Jad to death with rubber chickens) I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

2.4 - Black Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 227
Life Points: 1900
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (214)
Spawn Locations:
  • Taverly Dungeon
  • Lava Maze Dungeon (LEVEL 42-43 WILDERNESS)
  • Evil Chicken's Lair (Requires completion of the Sir Amik Varse portion of Recipe for Disaster)
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Black Dragonhide, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 100+

Melee:
Difficulty: 7.5/10 If you're planning on fighting these, you have two options: Tanking their melee attacks or praying Protect from Melee. While I've seen both done, I still recommend the latter. Praying protect from melee allows you to get many more kills per trip (assuming you stay on top of your antifire potions) than simply tanking the hits... That said, your cost runs comes from prayer potions (which are pretty cheap nowadays). Bring the best Beast of Burden you can to extend your trip and have at it. These are the highest levelled chromatic dragons in RuneScape, and their defenses match as such. Even with Chaotic Rapier and Turmoil I was missing more often than I'd have liked, and that's where their difficulty comes from, even if Praying. If you're not here for Slayer, I definitely recommend the Void set. That extra 10% to accuracy works wonders here.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 7/10 Again, their defense level comes into play here. I would only recommend killing these if on Slayer tasks or using the Void Ranger set... Anything else is a waste of your time. I highly recommend Broad bolts or if you have completed Ritual of the Mahjarrat and have 82+ Smithing Dragonbane bolts work wonders on these. In the Evil Chicken lair you can use the entrance to the mine or the landscape of the west side to safespot the beasts until they become tolerant, and then use the pillar in the center of the room afterwords. This will save you prayer pots and such, allowing you a few extra hides/bones per trip.

Magic:
Difficulty: 9.5/10 Same curse as Red Dragons, their magic defense is off the charts... But try it for yourself if you don't believe me. I do not recommend using magic against Black Dragons unless you're willing to be here a while.

3.0 - The Metallic Dragons

3.1 - Bronze Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 131
Life Points: 1220
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (123)
Spawn Locations:
  • Brimhaven Dungeon
  • Chaos Tunnels
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Platelegs, Starved Ancient Effigy, Clue Scroll (Hard), Clue Scroll (Elite)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 75+

Melee:
Difficulty: 5/10 These dragons, despite being made of metal, are remarkably weak. Be warned, the dragonfire from all metallic dragons is ranged, so make sure to activate your dragonfire protection before entering their area... Otherwise you could take a very nasty hit. These are the only metallic dragons that prayer is mostly unnecessary, but if you're going to tank hits make sure to bring at least a little food.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 4/10 You'd think that dragons made of metal would be very resistant to pointed objects as well, but this isn't the case. These dragons can be shot from a distance because their fire breath is ranged (making safespots useless) and they do not try to move into melee range... With dragonfire protection, one could stay here until they are out of their dragonfire resistance without taking any damage.

Magic:
Difficulty: 1/10 They're made of metal and so they are weak to magic for the same reason metallic armor is weak to magic. Fire spells seem to work best for some reason. Bring antifire and you're set for the same reason rangers are.

3.2 - Iron Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 189
Life Points: 1650
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (203)
Spawn Locations:
  • Brimhaven Dungeon
  • Brimhaven Resource Dungeon (Requires 80 Dungeoneering)
  • Ghorrock Fortress (Requires partial completion of Temple at Senntisten)
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Platelegs, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard), Clue Scroll (Elite)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 85+

Melee:
Difficulty: 3/10 If you're meleeing, your best bet is to pray protect from melee and let them have it. These dragons are very easy despite their combat level. Bring a stab weapon like a Chaotic Rapier, and I personally recommend Korasi's Sword for it's special attack.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 6.5/10 Their ranged defense starts to come into play here, but its definitely not impossible. It's rather straightforward, Ready, Fire, Aim, Repeat. Keep on top of your dragonfire protection and you'll be fine.

Magic:
Difficulty: 1/10 They're made of metal and so they are weak to magic for the same reason metallic armor is weak to magic. Fire spells seem to work best for some reason. Bring antifire and you're set for the same reason rangers are. They don't get any harder than their Bronze counterparts when using magic.

3.3 - Steel Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 225
Life Points: 2100
Spawn Locations:
  • Brimhaven Dungeon
  • Brimhaven Resource Dungeon (Requires 80 Dungeoneering)
  • Ghorrock Fortress (Requires partial completion of Temple at Senntisten)
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Platelegs, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard), Clue Scroll (Elite)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 105+

Melee:
Difficulty: 4.5/10 If you're meleeing, your best bet is to pray protect from melee and let them have it. These dragons are very easy despite their combat level. Bring a stab weapon like a Chaotic Rapier, and I personally recommend Korasi's Sword for it's special attack. Their defense makes them slightly more difficult, but nowhere near impossible. Also, I do not recommend tanking their damage, prayer is your best option here.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 7.5/10 Their ranged defense starts to come into play here, but its definitely not impossible. It's rather straightforward, Ready, Fire, Aim, Repeat. Keep on top of your dragonfire protection and you'll be fine.

Magic:
Difficulty: 1/10 They're made of metal and so they are weak to magic for the same reason metallic armor is weak to magic. Fire spells seem to work best for some reason. Bring antifire and you're set for the same reason rangers are. They don't get any harder than their Bronze or Iron counterparts when using magic.

3.4 - Mithril Dragons
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 304
Life Points: 2540
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (282), Magic (182), Ranged (182)
Spawn Locations:
  • The Ancient Cavern
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Dragon Full Helmet, Chewed Bones, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard), Clue Scroll (Elite)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 115+

Melee:
Difficulty: 10/10 Because they attack from all three sides of the combat triangle, meleeing these becomes significantly harder than the other metal dragons. The method I found that got me the most kills per hour is to wear Ganodermic armor and use the Protect from/Deflect Ranged prayer. Be warned though that Mithril Dragons do still hit very hard. High level food and Extreme/Overload potions highly recommended.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 8/10 These are slightly easier with Ranged because you eliminate the melee damage and the added plus that your ranged gear has great magic protection. I lasted longer here with Ranged over Melee, but kills took a bit longer (probably due to my lower Ranged levels). Definitely recommend at least 85+ Ranged here. Also, if you have Dragonbane bolts and/or Swift Gloves (from Dominion Tower), use them here. That extra power really comes in useful.

Magic:
Difficulty: 6/10 You wouldn't think these would be weak to Magic (since they're different from the other metallic counterparts) and normally they aren't if you're using the elemental spells. However, if you have a Polypore Staff or Storm of Armadyl they become rather easy to kill. Bring some food and your prayer/antifire potions and you'll be set. Obviously, since you'll be in magic armor you'll want to pray Protect from/Deflect Ranged. I highly recommend using any of the Polypore armors (Ganodermic being the best) due to the magic soaking which helps a lot.

4.0 - The Special Dragons

4.1 - Elvarg
Posted Image
Summary:
Spawn Locations:
  • Crandor
  • The Dominion Tower
Valuable Drops: n/a
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 50+
This is a quest boss. If anyone really needs me to write this section, I will.

4.2 - Frost Dragons
Posted Image
Ahhh, Frost Dragons. These creatures are the first monsters in RuneScape to have ventured from the bowels of Daemonheim to the surface. Their precious bones are appealing to the gods of Gielinor, as they offer the most base experience in game. As such, they have been battled fiercely for their valuable drops. For anyone venturing here, please note you will need a Dungeoneering level of 85 or higher. Also, bring a cannon. While it may seem like it eats into your profits, the cannon makes such a difference in kills per hour that it more than pays for itself. Please note that your cannon will get damaged when you leave the area, so make sure you grab it before leaving.

Summary:
Combat Level: 166
Life Points: 1600
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (500+), Melee (213), Magic (232), Ranged (224)
Spawn Locations:
  • Asgarnian Ice Dungeon Resource Dungeon (Requires 85 Dungeoneering)
Valuable Drops: Frost Dragon Bones, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard), Clue Scroll (Elite)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 100+

Melee:
Difficulty: 6.5/10 With a decent defense level and a Chaotic Rapier (which you should have if you're able to fight these) these dragons fall like butter. Their difficulty comes from their anti-botting technique that JaGEx added on 17 OCT 2011. Every 4-5 attacks a blue orb surrounds them and any damage you do is reflected back to you at 100% power, regardless of armor soaking. Your cannon causes zero damage against them when the orb is active though, so don't worry about accidentally getting KO'ed by your own cannon. Pay attention to if they're using magic or ranged attacks in conjunction with melee, as you can pray against the second style (if not using Turmoil + Soul Split).

Ranged:
Difficulty: 6.5/10 Same tactic, different day. It's worth noting that Dragonbane bolts do not appear to have any extra effects against them despite being... well, dragons. They only use magic or ranged attacks during combat, so pay attention to their style and pray against it. The benefit here is you won't be taking damage from their melee hits as well.

Magic:
Difficulty: 10/10 Same curse as the chromatic dragons, but even worse. For some reason magic attacks almost never hit here, so if you're hellbent on using magic here, be prepared for a long, hard ride.

4.3 - The King Black Dragon
Posted Image
Summary:
Combat Level: 276
Life Points: 2400
Attack Style (Max Hit): Dragonfire (650+), Melee (254), Magic (254)
Spawn Locations:
  • King Black Dragon's Lair
Valuable Drops: Dragon Bones, Black Dragonhide, King Black Dragon Heads, Dragon Medium Helm, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard), Clue Scroll (Elite)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 90+
ALL STRATEGIES: Antipoison Potion or higher recommended

Melee:
Difficulty: 7.5/10 Grab your Chaotic Rapier and go to work. The King Black Dragon is a bit harder than his normal Black counterpart, but overall he is not too difficult, especially for high levelled players. Unlike normal Black Dragons, his fire breath attacks are long-ranged (similar to metallic dragons). Be warned as you have to go to high level Wilderness to get to his lair.

Ranged:
Difficulty: 6.5/10 A little easier because you can avoid his melee attacks, but otherwise the strategy is the same. A high Ranged level is recommended for faster kills, but anyone with 80+ Range will do decently here.

Magic:
Difficulty: 9/10 The King Black Dragon shares the same strength against Magic that all chromatic dragons share. While magic here is doable, it is definitely costly and out-classed by the other methods. Good luck!

4.4 - Skeletal Wyverns
Posted Image
An important thing to note about Skeletal Wyverns: they do NOT breathe fire. Instead they have an Ice Breath attack, and your traditional tactics against Dragonfire will not work. The only thing that will protect you from their bone-chilling powers are the Elemental Shield (or the higher variants) or the fabled Dragonfire Shield (NOT ANTI-FIRE SHIELD).

Summary:
Attack Style (Max Hit): Ice Breath without shield (500+), Ice Breath with shield (100), Melee (139), Ranged (139)
Spawn Locations:
  • Asgarnian Ice Dungeon
Valuable Drops: Wyvern Bones, Granite Platelegs, Starved Ancient Effigy, Draconic Visage, Clue Scroll (Hard)
Strategy:
Recommended Combat Level: 105+

Melee:
Difficulty: 7/10 For higher level combat players, these are relatively easy. Throw on Soul Split and Turmoil and I never ran into a problem. However, for low to mid level players or those without at least Soul Split are going to run into trouble. Bring about 20-25 doses of Prayer potion. If you can't Soul Split, turning on Protect from/Deflect Ranged can help cut the amount you get hit significantly. I would not recommend attempting these without at the very least Piety. Also, these are very resistant to stabbing attacks, I actually recommend a Chaotic Longsword or the Abyssal whip to exploit their weaker Slash defense over the Chaotic Rapier. However, since their primary weakness is crush if you have the Goliath Gloves here would be a good place to use them

Ranged:
Difficulty: 8.5/10 While ranging can help here with cutting out their melee attacks, it also causes them to use their Ice Breath more often, which can be detrimental to your health. They are also quite resistant to ranged attacks, but they tend to take a hefty chunk of damage. The two tactics are either to pray Protect from/Deflect Ranged while healing only the Ice Breath damage, or tanking the ranged hits too. I only recommend ranging them if you are a high level ranger who has a significant defense investment.

Magic:
Difficulty: 10/10 They have stupid high magic defense and unless you pray against ranged attacks you're not going to last long here. Use magic here at your own risk.

4.5 - The Dragonkin
Posted Image
SPOILER WARNING! The following contents may ruin the ending of a quest or quests. Read at your own risk.
The Dragonkin...

Spoiler

4.6 - The Queen Black Dragon
Posted Image

Watch this space!

5.0 - Tips and Tricks

This is an area for you to submit any tips or tricks that you find effective that are not listed above. I will test each one before posting it for quality assurance.
  • If you run out of fire protection, don't play hero. Dragons are very accurate with their breath attacks and can easily 2HKO a maxed player. That being said, if you find yourself in trouble throw on the Protect from Magic prayer. In most cases it will reduce their hits long enough for you to get away.

6.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: But Dan! Why should I use the regular Anti-fire Shield over a Dragonfire Shield when ranging or maging?
A: The Dragonfire Shield has penalties to your Magic and Range offenses. It's so you hit more often!

Q: Why isn't Ahrim's hood listed in the magic section, but the Farseer Helmet is? Isn't the Farseer Helmet inferior to Ahrim's?
A: Actually, no! The Farseer Helmet and Ahrim's Hood both give +6 to Magic attack bonuses.

Q: The question!
A: The answer!

7.0 - Credits

Guide Copyright Notice:
All Guides are Copyright © Zybez Corporation, RuneScape Community and the original author, 2001-2011+; All Rights Reserved.
All guides submitted to Zybez or RuneScape Community become property of  the Zybez Corporation. Use on any other website is PROHIBITED! Guides can only be used on other sites with permission from Zybez Staff AND the author.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan, 10 May 2012 - 11:06 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#2 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

soa on miths was pretty fast last time I went; I understand its not practical for everyone, but it could be considered :)

anyways, looking forward to seeing how this shapes up
Comprehensive Guide to Waterfiends - Updated 1/20/12
Guide to Tormented Demons - Updated 1/20/12
Guide to Glacors - Updated 9/17/11

#3 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Zybez's Unofficial Brony Representative

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

View Postovervoltage, on 06 February 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

soa on miths was pretty fast last time I went; I understand its not practical for everyone, but it could be considered :)

Once I get this fleshed out more (with general strategies and such) I'll go and test this, unless of course you'd like to contribute the SoA on Mith Dragons part. Thanks for the tip!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#4 Christley

Christley

Failing since '03

• RS Name:Therealbest
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostLieutenant Dan, on 06 February 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

View Postovervoltage, on 06 February 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Once I get this fleshed out more (with general strategies and such) I'll go and test this, unless of course you'd like to contribute the SoA on Mith Dragons part. Thanks for the tip!

not really that hard. same inv as rapier with karil and uni, except you have full gano and arma battlestaff and pray range instead.
Posted Image

#5 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

@Christley, I understand that. But since it's one of the less popular strategies (due to the cost) its low on my priority list. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the setup =)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#6 CakesAreFries

CakesAreFries

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

You're getting those frustrating code errors where apostrophes ( ' ) appear as &#39 (i.e. "Korasi's sword).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

@Cakes, I thought I got all of them, but thanks for pointing that out.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#8 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostLieutenant Dan, on 06 February 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

@Cakes, I thought I got all of them, but thanks for pointing that out.
Still one in the Introduction ("but you don&#39;t know where you'll need to start"). :-P This looks as though it's shaping up to be a biblical reference point, keep up all the great work! Duly +1'd.

[13/26] * [2,393/2595] * [135/138]
Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#9 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for catching that. If anyone else sees slip-ups like that let me know. I'll be working on this throughout the week after class/work. Hope to have this off the ground in a week or so.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#10 Krisfrost

Krisfrost

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Wouldn't the dps of the rapier on slash still be more than the whip (maybe even vine whip) because of the 101 str bonus of the whip? I know skeletal wyverns are hard to hit at times but just curiousity sake.
Posted Image

#11 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

@Krisfrost: I just went and tested that for a few kills and while the Chaotic Rapier does hit harder, it has a lower slash accuracy. The whip was actually the more accurate and thus the more reliable weapon.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#12 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostLieutenant Dan, on 11 February 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

@Krisfrost: I just went and tested that for a few kills and while the Chaotic Rapier does hit harder, it has a lower slash accuracy. The whip was actually the more accurate and thus the more reliable weapon.

4 less slash bonus
.... 19 more strength bonus

4% difference in accuracy for a 25% difference in strength, I'd still take the rapier

#13 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

@overvoltage... That 19 strength bonus doesn't help if it hits less accurate. I'll check it again thought... I still prefer the Chaotic Longsword here because it seems to be the most reliable.

edit: OK just checked it again for a few kills and found the difference to be negligible. The average kill time between the two was hardly different.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan, 11 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#14 Xaxa

Xaxa

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's an extremely well laid out guide, with all the information I would expect and more, but the 5/10 difficulty rating for the metal dragons is highly variable. For example, with a chaotic rapier + turmoil and full bandos I completely destroy all metal dragons in a few hits, whereas if I range with ccb and rigour it still takes a reasonably long time in comparison. I'd consider pointing out that melee is dependent upon your stats and gear, because at the moment 5/10 is way too high.

#15 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostXaxa, on 19 February 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

It's an extremely well laid out guide, with all the information I would expect and more, but the 5/10 difficulty rating for the metal dragons is highly variable. For example, with a chaotic rapier + turmoil and full bandos I completely destroy all metal dragons in a few hits, whereas if I range with ccb and rigour it still takes a reasonably long time in comparison. I'd consider pointing out that melee is dependent upon your stats and gear, because at the moment 5/10 is way too high.

Thanks. I've been testing the guides as a high level player, but the target audience of this is the medium levelled player. So while I would have given metal dragons like a 2-3 out of 10, I added a few to account for lower combat stats. Thanks for the feedback though! I've been a little slow at finishing this guide up because I recently got a few projects assigned. You know how school goes :woeh:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#16 Xaxa

Xaxa

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Yeah I've got plenty of 6th form work to balance too, but yeah, it would still be helpful if yous pecify that the rating is for medium levelled players, and put what you class as a 'middle level player', because people's view of what a mid level player is very different. Like I said it's good so far, but make sure it gets finished, I'd hate to see such a good guide go to waste!

#17 F4llen Princess

F4llen Princess

Forever scaping :)

• RS Name:F4llen xx
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

This is great, so helpful to have it all in one place. So thx :-) look forward to seeing it finished.
† "A modern scientist will find an arrowhead in a field and conclude that it was designed and created by an ancient man. Then he will find a fossil right next to it, a billion times more complex, and say it came from nothing. Only Christ could build a bridge to God with only two pieces of wood." †
Skill In Peace
Selling my purple phat to buy herby supplies for the bxpw. Willing to take anything over 900m at this point.
Always happy to help if I can :)

#18 HangPiece

HangPiece

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

how do you fight the dragonkin?

#19 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

Ok, so all that's left are the King Black Dragon and Revenant Dragons... I want an opinion from those who've posted their opinions so far... Would you expect to see a segment on Revenent Dragons here or no, because if not I'll take that section out unless asked for.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#20 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

revenant dragon doesn't count as a dragon imo

only has dragon in its name, doesn't drop dragon bones, doesn't use dragonfire

0 user(s) are reading this topic