Photo
- - - - -

A Fire Cape (Update Implemented By Jagex)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

• RS Name:Dragon Sol
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Update: New Tokhaar-Kal Cape

Posted Image

New lava texture in the center, obsidian rock combined with flowing lava, with splattering lava on the bottom that leaves a lava trail when you walk around. It looks like I succcessfully got this idea to be implemented to the Tokhaar-Kal instead of the Fire Cape.

Original Fire Cape/Tokhaar-Kal Designs

Note: I sent these images into the Jagex Gallery, so I'm sure they have seen it. Also, if you Google Search 'tokhaar kal' you will see my designs along with the new Tokhaar-Kal.

http://img442.images...onceptwitht.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

http://img546.images...onceptfinal.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

http://img593.images...capeconcept.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

Descriptive Conception

A cape completely made out of lava that flows down the the ground itself. The flowing lava should have depth and thickness. So if you look at it from the side you will see that it is thick and uneven and not just one pixel thin. The cape is completely engulfed in lava as it is made out of it. It would not have the monotone red on the inner side.

The cape would actually touch the ground as if it was constantly leaking lava onto the ground rather than hovering above the ground like a regular cape.

Once it touches the ground, it will solidify into a heap of black obsidian chunks of rock, then slowing fading away. If you are standing still you will simply see the lava flowing to the ground from your shoulders then turn black, since the lava is constantly flowing to the same spot you would just see hardened rock on the bottom of the "lavafall".

But if you move it will trail behind you! The cape should now be slightly angled at the bottom as it is being pulled in both directions. The still molten lava that is constantly flowing to the ground. Then it would cool down and disappear so the cape essentially has hot glowing lava dragging on the ground behind you while you are moving.

On top of that, when the lava first starts from the top it is the hottest with smoke rising out of it. Sometimes bubbles appear and burst spewing tiny drops of lava that you can see falling onto the ground making small black dots then disappearing.

Then as the lava progressively flows down your back, it slowly and gradually cools into solid black chunks of rock. You should still be able to see the orange, hot lava underneath the cracks of the cooling magma on the surface. The closer it reaches to the ground the cooler it becomes thus slowly solidifying into rock. Once it touches the ground it pools of melting, fuming rock at the bottom, you can see the cape widens from its original width.

If you are moving however, it should not do this as it would not be pooling underneath you. It will instead become thinner in width making a thinner trail as well. There would be 3 different states, standing, walking and running. With each one gradually thinner in width and steeper angle. While standing would create pooling like explained above.

Now there is one slight issue coming from the idea that the cape doesn't hover above the surface. If a player is to jump up or pass by a gap in the ground the cape has to be able to separate from the ground. This would be somewhat complicated and I wouldn't know an exact solution to this problem, but perhaps have the cape appear as though it was pulled off the ground, from the halt of a constant flow, causing it to splatter lava and cooling rock everywhere underneath while burning smoke rises. The effect would be similar to that of someone taking a bucket full of boiling water and dumping it out from the air, seeing the water disperse and fly in droplets all around while the steam disperses into the atmosphere. The falling rock and lava once near the ground would disappear leaving no trace.

Now lastly, if only there was another graphical effect that allows for the image diffusing that occurs when there is heat like in a desert plain, where you see the heat literally rising from the burning sand. The whole cape is smoldering, melted rock, hotter than fire, it should be heating the air around it therefore creating the blistering effect around it distorting the reflective imagery.

Edited by Dragon Sol, 08 September 2012 - 03:33 AM.
You may post your suggestions on other websites but do not refer to any other instances of it. - Ramu

#2 Magick

Magick

Outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Sounds good, but I fear JaGEx may have already concluded the appearance of the forthcoming fire cape.

Posted Image

#3 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'd like to point out that this is the concept for the original Fire Cape, not that new cape from the new minigame; not a rendition to the fire cape, but as quoted from the site "a whole new cape".

So yeah, I don't know what their idea for that cape is going to be. It better be epic so my idea for the original fire cape holds ground to be updated to match.

#4 Nebbo 67

Nebbo 67

Im A KO Monster - CoR P2P Warlord

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

This is pretty much how I always imagined the cape would be if it was upgraded, perhaps the new cape might be like this :O  "Lava cape" :o

CoR since 10.05.05 Posted Image CoR since 10.05.05
Click for my PK videos (1-5 OLD WILDY): [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

#5 brian01001

brian01001

Former Vent Mod RIP

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

It would be a cool concept to implement, which I think they could probably put off with some minor z-buffering changes seeing as they can have smoke on the comp cape working fine. I hope they do something like this with the next version of the fire cape this year. The current one's animation is a bit dated for the effort it takes to obtain it.
Hate it Posted Image or love it Posted Image, I'm still #1.
Posted Image

Posted Image lmfao XD

We make our own monsters and they come back to haunt us.

《〠_〠》......here lies some suspicious link that you know deep down you want to click on.......

#6 ObamaDogRecipes

ObamaDogRecipes

chicken poodle soup

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

Good idea but:

- I already lag enough lol
- I can get 1 cape an hour literally afking so it's not that much of an achievement

Posted Image

#7 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

I've already covered both your points in the recollection.

Adding/replacing an item with higher quality graphics doesn't lag you. When Torva was added did it make the game significantly more laggy? Even though it has more effects like particles and bloom, those options can all be turned off via the settings.

Just because one person or a lot have discovered the method to completing the minigame without difficulty doesn't mean others will have no trouble coming upon it for the first time. From that standpoint, it is in fact a challenging activity. Just as long as you take enough time to prepare for something anything can be easy. And after the first time, it'll never be hard again. A cape of distinction is first represented by its stats then valor by its appearance, if it's notable that the cape still is one of the best capes obtainable then so should the graphics for it.

Edited by Dragon Sol, 08 February 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#8 Murdoc

Murdoc

"calm as a cucumber"

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think people who are discrediting Dragon's idea on the basis that the Fight Caves are relatively easy nowadays are missing the point. Jagex are in the process of bringing RuneScape's graphics up to scratch, remember? Hell even iron and steel are being extensively modernised, so why exactly should the Fire Cape get left behind? Consider its importance as the first animated item to have ever been released. I mean in my opinion it would be kind of insulting(!) if something of that stature [relative to the game's history of course] was ignored in preference for more mundane pursuits.

Nice attention to detail, by the way. As a proud FC owner myself I'd be over the moon if anything close to your vision was implemented. :-D

Edited by Murdoc, 11 February 2012 - 07:20 PM.

Mew%20Lp.png
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#9 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks, you explained it perfectly. I've got a huge surprise, well, not anymore! I've made a picture! Enjoy. :)

Keep in mind all the graphics and textures shown were from RuneScape itself. I cut it out and used the same color pallet as the recently released TzHaar update.

Edit: I did forget one thing, the smoke. As you can see I have a snippet of the smoke from one of Jagex's concepts, that's what It would look like at the bottom as well. I've got to add it using PhotoShop as it allows transparency better. All of that was done in Paint.

Edited by Dragon Sol, 16 February 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#10 Murdoc

Murdoc

"calm as a cucumber"

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

Very cool. Have you ever considered sharing this on the RSOF?
Mew%20Lp.png
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#11 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Yes, I've posted it there. Too bad I can't post pictures, so I sent it to Jagex's players' gallery and gave them to QFC to the post, lol.

#12 Milktea4me

Milktea4me

I aim to please!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hope they recognize this. Nice concept to an already flashy cape.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 *Tom*

*Tom*

Expect to win.

• RS Name:BornSkulled
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

That would be an awesome graphical update, I love the thought and detail you put into it. Well done!

Tooheyy @SwiftIRC

Posted Image

>> Zybez Content Team << - >>Zchat Moderator<< - >> Zybez20 Team <<

Posted Image

#14 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

There are actually several envisions I have in mind. All graphically differing lava which render for several different animating methods. I'm adding more versions and side views next in the picture.

#15 Murdoc

Murdoc

"calm as a cucumber"

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

How about one that retains the format of the original cape (like this), but instead of gradually solidifying the lava keeps flowing off the end in its bright-yellow liquid state to sporadically drop off and collect in molten blobs behind the player's feet?

Edited by Murdoc, 17 February 2012 - 12:57 PM.

Mew%20Lp.png

#16 Dragon Sol

Dragon Sol

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

That was the basis of the concept. Along with the updated lava texture, that would be the most basic. Like I said, I'm making more concepts of other versions. The current one I've drawn shows one with a rocky bottom, but that doesn't necessarily have to be.

Edit: Added second version of the cape. Looks better imo. :)

Edited by Dragon Sol, 17 February 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#17 Murdoc

Murdoc

"calm as a cucumber"

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Still prefer the first to be honest because it stays true to that distinctive bottom-heavy shape. The latest design reminds me way too much of the Soul Wars cape. Gotta wonder how this is even possible on possible on Paint though. :lol:
Mew%20Lp.png

#18 Jdc

Jdc

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thisone looks better then the one that is out atm tbh lol

#19 brian01001

brian01001

Former Vent Mod RIP

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

By the way I must add that I really like the concept art you had added since I had posted on this. It looks amazing, actually better then the real cape in my opinion. :thumbsup:
Hate it Posted Image or love it Posted Image, I'm still #1.
Posted Image

Posted Image lmfao XD

We make our own monsters and they come back to haunt us.

《〠_〠》......here lies some suspicious link that you know deep down you want to click on.......

#20 Brad S

Brad S

YMCMB

• RS Name:Brad S
  • RS Status:Member
  • Team:Content

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

They are amazing fire capes! :-D Great pictures.

I would love #1, the more triangle shape, coupled with the bottom of #2.

Posted Image

B.I.G, Yeezy, Weezy, Drizzy, T-Raw, Jay, Barbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: