• 3.2 Medium
  • 3.3 Hard
  • 4.0 [ Resources ]
  • 5.0 [ Frequently Asked Questions ]
  • 6.0 [ Credits ]
I [ Revision History ]
  • 23/12/2011 – Guide Submitted
1.0 [ Introduction ]

Slider puzzles are in a variety of different locations in the world of Runescape. Mainly you will find them when doing clue scrolls (Hard and Elite), but there is also a slider puzzle in the quest Monkey Madness (although it is skip-able by paying 200k). I made this guide for all of those people who find these puzzles a challenge and would like to learn how to do them. From years of experience as a Treasure Trail enthusiast, I have devised what I believe to be the most efficient way to solve these puzzles. In addition, I will be providing you with a few tips and tricks intended to help you solve the puzzles at an optimal pace. Now I usually average a slider puzzle in about two minutes, and you can learn to do the same!

============================================================

2.0 [ Solving Method ]

The Solving method that I have come up with can be split into two different sections, Basic, and Advanced.

Basic:

Posted Image

This basic solving method is like those that you would find on many of the Runescape Treasure Trail help sites, such as the page here on Zybez. It is quite basic in a sense that you are solving each of the first three rows in order, then moving on to the bottom left four and finally the bottom right six.

As long as you are following the sections as they are numbered you will be fine

Advanced:

Posted Image

The advanced method is a bit more in depth. Although it is still derived from the original (basic) method, it seems to be a bit more comprehensible and less confusing on how one should be following the solving method.

Just as for the basic method, your goal here is to do each of the numbered sections in order. However, the difference here is that numbered sections are broken down even further to make it a bit easier for people who are newer to slider puzzles. Just make sure to follow the numbers, and remember to always solve left to right. I will be going into more detail about specific sections and how to do them later in the guide so keep reading!

3.0 [ In Depth Strategy ]

This section of the guide will focus more on strategies associated with each section of the solving method. It will also provide you with some knowledge on solving sections utilizing an algorithm.

Posted Image

This image highlights the specific areas to the puzzle along with their approximated difficulties. Keep in mind the difficulties are on an ordinal scale meaning that the medium section is harder than the easy, and the hard is harder than the medium. By labeling them as I did I am not meaning to discourage nor oversell the difficult of each of the sections, I am merely stating that each of the sections is harder than the one preceding it. (Essentially, it could have been labeled similarly to “Easy”, “Harder”, and “Harder-er”).

3.1 [ Easy ]

I feel as though going into any strategy involving the “Easy” section would be unnecessary as all you need to do is make sure you are lining up the pieces in the correct order.

3.2 [ Medium ]

With the medium section, you are primarily focused on inserting the last two squares of any given row in the correct order (Steps 2, 4 and 6 in the solving method diagram).

Posted Image  Posted Image

Both of these pictures outline what could be done with regards completing the row. Firstly, you must make sure that the remaining two pieces line up in the correct order (this is dependent upon if they are in the fourth column or fifth column). After making sure of this, a simple rotation using the rectangle of six (6) pieces either in a clockwise manner (fourth column), or counter clockwise manner (fifth column) ought to get the pieces in the places you want them.

3.3 [ Hard ]

Similarly, as with the medium section, you are attempting to line up the pieces in the correct order in which you need to place them. Although with hard you are placing pieces vertically instead of horizontally (steps 7, 8 and 9 in the solving method diagram).

Posted Image

For this section, as you only have two more rows to deal with, you can be stuck with the two squares you need to place being beside each other but in the wrong order. There is a quick and easy solution for this utilizing only six (6) squares that I would like to call “The Six Square Swap”. The Six Square Swap, or "SSS", is an algorithm used to re-arrange two squares that are potentially out of order. The diagram below will show you exactly how this method works.

Posted Image

*This algorithm may also be useful for other sections of the puzzle if you are trying not to disturb more than six (6) squares.

If you utilize this algorithm, you should be able to breeze though the hard section with ease thus completing your puzzle!

4.0 [ Resources ]

Those are the basics to solving slider puzzles. I have provided you with tools in order to solve them much easier and to allow you to improve and get faster at solving them. Moreover, as with anything it takes a lot of practice to get good at something so here’s a website where you can practice the methods listed in this guide to become a guru of slider puzzles.This guide also does not go into a lot of detail regarding the specific slider puzzles in Runescape so if you are looking for pictures of what they look like completed please visit the Zybez Treasure Trail page.

5.0 [ Frequently Asked Questions ]

Q: Will you be putting up any of the completed puzzle pictures?

A:
I don’t plan to at the moment but if there’s a high request for it I will. (for the time being there is a link to the Zybez guide in the “Resource” section of this guide.

6.0 [ Credits ]

Xailder92 - For being SO bad at slider puzzles that it inspired me to make this guide =)

Guide Copyright Notice:

All Guides are Copyright © Zybez Corporation, RuneScape Community and the original author, 2001-2006+; All Rights Reserved.

All guides submitted to Zybez or RuneScape Community become property of the Zybez Corporation. Use on any other website is PROHIBITED!

Guides can only be used on other sites with permission from Zybez Staff AND the author.

#2 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

I feel as if there's not enough content in the subject
however, two things I might as well address: in your FAQ: the first question, a completed version of the puzzle can be viewed in runescape now by scrolling over the bottom left hand corner of the puzzle.
The second, I notice the speed of my puzzles is generally linked to looking ahead, such as when I have to move a puzzle piece from the bottom to the top, the pieces that I move out of the way will be directed towards their final destination when possible

ideas for more content might include the variations on celtic knots, as that's also a treasure trail puzzle topic
Comprehensive Guide to Waterfiends - Updated 1/20/12
Guide to Tormented Demons - Updated 1/20/12
Guide to Glacors - Updated 9/17/11

#3 xi Sean ix

xi Sean ix

Member Title

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Half of this guide looks like it was taken off Tip.it/runescape treasure trail help for the sliders.

these things usually take me under 2 minutes, so im all good with them, but this could help people struggling with them.

my suggestion is that you add in that this guide can be used during the quest monkey madness in the flight hangar to save some money.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Debenkey

Debenkey

Josh Hogg

• RS Name:Debenkey
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Since you have not updated your guide within one month of receiving feedback, your topic is being closed and moved to the Camp Archive. If you would like this topic to be opened again and moved back to the Content Camp for you to update it, please send a Personal Message to a Contact Camp moderator.

Thank You,
Content Camp Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: