How To Access And Setup Ventrilo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Table of Contents

Posted Image

1.0 - Introduction

Ventrilo is a VoIP program that allows you to talk to other people via the Internet.  Zybez kindly hosts a server that anyone can join to talk.  Ventrilo's most popular use is for PvP activities where the fastest source of communication will result in a better outcome.  It is also a good place to just come and hangout.  While on Ventrilo you might hear people say some phrases that you aren't familiar with.

Lingo:Description
Mic: Short for microphone.
VoIP: Voice over IP.  Programs like Teamspeak, Skype, an Ventrilo use this technology that allows us to talk over the Internet.
PTT: Push to Talk.  This is a feature makes it so you must press down a hotkey to talk.  It is required that you use this at all times while connected to Ventrilo.
Hotkey: The key which you press when you want to speak on Ventrilo.  The default hotkey is Left Ctrl.
E.mems, H.mems, Mods, Admins: These are all ranks in the Ventrilo which require a little more then registering and connecting to the server.  Esteemed member, Honored member, Moderators, Administrators are their abbreviated names.
Binds and Private chats: You shouldn't worry about these too much.  Only Honored members and higher have access to these.  If you ever reach that high the current moderation team will glady teach you how to set them up and use them.

Be sure to read Ventrilo Rules before connecting to the server. "I didn't read them." Doesn't cut it for ban appeals.

2.0 - Registering

For access to Global chat and ability to join the "Contact a Mod" and "Member" channels, you must register.  It is a very easy process.  If you want to register click the link below.  It should bring you to Zybez Ventrilo Voice Chat forum on Runescape Community.  This will show you your IP and 2 text boxes at the top of the page.  Your IP address is VERY important. DO NOT disclose it to anyone.  Enter in your Ventrilo username that you will make and your Email address you your Ventrilo information to be set to.  After you submit it wait between 1-24 hours to receive your password.  Click here to register. Be sure to check your "Spam" folder for the email.

Posted Image

3.0 - Making your Ventrilo account

These next steps will help you setup your account.  Your account name will be what shows up in the Ventrilo and what people will know you as.  DO NOT make your name inappropriate, you will be kicked then banned.  Also once you've made a member account DO NOT log onto the server as a guest, this will result in you getting kicked then banned.
First you click the little arrow pointing right that is on top of the stack.  Once you click the arrow a little pop up window is shown. Click the "New" button.  This in turn opens another little window where you type in the username you typed in for registering.  After you type in the username click "OK".  Click "OK" again.  Now you have a name that will be used when you connect to the Ventrilo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4.0 - Setting up the server

Now you click the second arrow down that is pointing right.  This will allow you to set up server information.  After clicking the arrow it opens yet another window.  In this window you will see 3 boxes below a drop down.  Click "New".  "Setup new server" window should now be shown.  Type in "Zybez Ventrilo" .  Once you typed in a name for the server click "OK".  Now you can fill in the "Hostname or IP" and "Port Number".  After you fill in the IP, Port, and your password that was sent to your email click "OK".

Hostname: Evolve.typefrag.com
Port Number: 32234

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5.0 - Connecting

The last and easiest step! Now click connect and come join all of us on Zybez Ventrilo!

Posted Image

6.0 - Extra Setup and Chat

There are further modifications that can be made to Ventrilo that aren't necessary but are very helpful.  These are done by clicking "Setup".  A window will open up, at the top left of this window it will say setup and what version of Ventrilo you are using.
Once opened it will be on the "Voice" tab by default.  Here you can change how loud you or other people are, troubleshoot your microphone or speakers, and , and change how you talk on Ventrilo.
The second tab in the setup window is "Events".  If you find all the random beeps and dings coming from Ventrilo annoying click into the tab.  Click the "All Nothing" button.  This turns off all event sounds.  You can turn off indivual events by highlighting them then clicking "Nothing", "Wave file", and "Text to Speech".

6.1 - PTT

By default Left Ctrl will be your default PTT.  If you want to change your PTT click the box where it says Hotkey: Keyboard: Left Ctrl.  Press the key/mouse button you desire to use at your PTT.  If you here a loud click or weird noise every time you press your PTT and find it annoying UNcheck "Play Key Clicks" in the "Voice" tab.

6.2 - Sound Issues

If you cannot hear anything be sure that the "Mute Sounds" box is UNchecked.  If this doesn't work be sure to test that your speakers/headphones are working.  Do this by clicking the "Playback (output) box.  Right click what ever device is playing your sound and click test.

6.3 - Microphone Issues

For issues regarding talking be sure the Mute Microphone/Binds box is UNchecked.  If that doesn't work be sure your microphone is working by clicking the Recording (input) button.  Be sure you have your microphone on and selected.

6.4 - Chat

Chat will be included in this section also because it can be a last resort to trying to fix what issues you are having.  Just open it up and state that you need assistance and your issue.  Someone has to read your problem and think about what is happening, so please be patient for a response.

6.5 - How to Setup Normalization

Ventrilo Normalization will make everyone in Ventrilo the same volume, so really quite people will be louder and really loud people will be quieter. This way you don't have to change everyone one by one, this is a quick fix for it.

On the right hand side go to Setup then follow the steps below:

- Enable Direct Sound
- Select the SFX Button
- Select Compressor and click Add
- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings
- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 10)
- Attack = 0.01
- Release = Around 500
- Threshold = Around -30
- Ratio = 100
- Pre delay = 4.0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

6.6 - How to "DJ"

DJ'ing is for those of you who wish to share your love of your music with the Ventrilo in the proper way.  Be sure to only play your music in the "Music" channels.  To get the most out of playing your music joining global chat is advised.  Also stick around and don't be a bother so you can get the rank of E. Member.  They get the awesome ability to show "Integration" which shows what songs are playing if you use iTunes, Winamp, or Window's Media Player.

- Go into the Music channel.
- Mute you microphone by checking the "Mute microphone/Binds" box at the bottom on your Ventrilo.
- Go into Setup, by default you will be in the "Voice" tab STAY in this tab.
- Uncheck the "Use Push To Talk Hotkey (PTT Mode)" box.
- Set your Sensitivity to 0 by highlighting the current number and typing in 0.
- Set your Silence Time to 0.5 by clicking the drop down and selecting 0.
- Now click "Playback (output)" box under System Sound Control Panels.
- Click the "Recording" tab.
- Now right click your the "Microphone" box and disable.
- Right click "Stereo Mix" and enable.
- Click "OK" for the Sounds window.
- Click "OK" for the Setup window.
- Now uncheck the "Mute Microphone/Binds" box.
- Play your music and enjoy.

Posted Image

7.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I registered but I haven't received my password yet?
   A: A Moderator must create your account in the database.  Please give it 24 hours, if it doesn't come in by then post on Zybez Ventrilo Voice Chat.

Q: How do I get the rank of Esteemed member?
    A: This rank requires you to be an active Member on Ventrilo for at least 3 months.  You DO NOT ask for ranks, you earn them.  Although I hear if you tell Ramu you want to be a "G" member she will glady make you one.

Q: How come I can't access "Ventrilo Administrator's" and "Zybez Projects" channels?
    A: Those channels require passwords to get into.  If you get placed on any of those positions you will be told the password.

Q: Why can't I access Global chat?
    A: You must be a member to use Global chat.

Q: What if I am a member and still can't use chat?
    A: You probably are banned from chat due to ongoing abuse of the privilege.

Q: Why is "C", "N", "G", "M", "S", "P" next to people's names?
    A: "C" shows that a person has Global chat open.  "N" is when the channel mutes you.  This is usually in queued speech or lobbies.  "G" is something you should ask Ramu about.  "M" means YOU muted the person.  "S" shows you have special effects on a person.  "P" means phantom.  Mods use them in various situations.

Q: How do I mute somebody?
    A: Right click said person.  Click down to User.  Click Mute.  Remember you can't hear them but they can hear you.  To unmute them is the same process.

Q: How do I turn somebody's volume up or down?
    A: Right click said person. Go down to Miscellaneous. Click Special Effects. Move Volume from the Available side to Current. Adjust to what you desire. To change it highlight Volume under Current and click Properties.

Q: How do I fix my Ventrilo from not queuing my microphone while another program is up?
    A: Close your Ventrilo client.  Right click the ventrilo shortcut icon on your desktop. Run as Administrator.

Edited by Jim, 04 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Ducks108

Ducks108

ty jim

• RS Name:Ducks108
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

This helped me access the ventrilo, now i can access the ventrilo and talk to me friends! Thank you jimdm3 this has helped me out.

#3 FireHazard772

FireHazard772

Always Glad to Help! :)

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Nice & Detailed.

Good work!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Checkout my Marketplace thread here!

#4 brian01001

brian01001

Impossible is Nothing

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Very well written and organized guide. Thanks a lot for putting it together Jim. Hope to see everyone on ventrilo soon. :thumbsup:
Hate it Posted Image or love it Posted Image, I'm still #1.
Posted Image

Posted Image lmfao XD

We make our own monsters and they come back to haunt us.

《〠_〠》......here lies some suspicious link that you know deep down you want to click on.......

#5 Long Live The Kings

Long Live The Kings

Lead the charge

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks helped me.

Posted Image

#6 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Q: How do I turn somebody's volume up or down?
A: Right click said person. Go down to Miscellaneous. Click Special Effects. Move Volume from the Available side to Current. Adjust to what you desire. To change it highlight Volume under Current and click Properties.
This saved me from losing my hearing within the first few days of joining... Cheers Jimmy, enjoy another +1. :XD:

Posted Image[/url]
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#7 Angry Bird

Angry Bird

Woke up still King.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Don't really use Ventrilo but i won't leave this topic without saying this is one of the most well organised guide I've seen.

Posted Image

#Solace    | #EU    | #Team_Morphic

#8 shiloh

shiloh

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

give me info
Leaked private forums in your signature are not acceptable - Aragon

#9 Jim

Jim

I'm constant like the seasons. I will never be forgotten.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postshiloh, on 15 April 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

give me info

4.0 - Setting up the server

Now you click the second arrow down that is pointing right. This will allow you to set up server information. After clicking the arrow it opens yet another window. In this window you will see 3 boxes below a drop down. Click "New". "Setup new server" window should now be shown. Type in "Zybez Ventrilo" . Once you typed in a name for the server click "OK". Now you can fill in the "Hostname or IP" and "Port Number". After you fill in the IP, Port, and your password that was sent to your email click "OK".

Hostname: Evolve.typefrag.com
Port Number: 32234
I already have. It is also in the section description.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: