Age Limit

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Magick

Magick

outrageous

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

If you are under 13 and created an account prior to 24 November 2010,  you will be unable to disclose personal data through the game or  website. If we find out that any personal data we have collected is from someone  under 13, we will automatically delete it. We recommend that, for  existing accounts, parents / guardians should play together with their  children.
You may remember selecting your age as above thirteen years old when  first created your account, were you actually above the age  limit? I personally was under thirteen when I first sampled the game.

As some you may have noticed, Runescape is being geared to appeal to younger crowds. While Jagex acknowledge that some of the game's content is not suitable for pre-teens, are they really making an attempt to stop under-age players? or do actually want these players to be a part of their community so claim the $5 a month the player might give them.

Continuing from the quote above, they then go on to say while we appreciate that many pre-teens would want to use our websites,  we urge parents/guardians to instruct their children not to lie about  their age so as to be able to use our websites before they are old  enough. Instead, we recommend that parents set up an account and play together with their pre-teens who are otherwise too young to play the  game… being realistic, there are very slim chances of this ever happening.

Posted Image

#2 Ďanne

Ďanne

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

I was 12 when I created my first account.

Reign of Terror

Ending Solace »Council

Ending TKO Blitz Elite Member

Ex- Euphoria Hero

Posted Image

View Postml., on 19 January 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

We have some standards, thank you very much

LOL VR

#3 Menamewolan

Menamewolan

swe:Den

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

Depends I was 12 when i created my first account but 14 when i created this.

I don't think alot of younger people care about that you have to be over 13.

Posted Image

EX-TT - EX-RJ EX-DI

TEAMSWEDEN

#4 kasame10

kasame10

Haters gonna be dumb.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

and what they going to do about it? im turning 13 in 17 days 0.0. my acc is level 108 p2p 100 f2p but i quit not so long ago. never had problems when i started around '06. AND english isn't even my birth languace.
negative rep if you like my post, positive if you don't.

#5 Joe Longo

Joe Longo

• RS Name:Joe Longo
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

I think I was 10 when I made my first account. I lied because that was the only way I could play the game. Alot of people did though, so it's all good. :blink:
Posted Image
The mind is the most powerful tool. As you think, so you shall become.

#6 » Caudery

» Caudery

Caudery 13.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

I was like 10 when I made mine and I still use that account now and again.  Im pretty much over RS and if they ban it there doing me a favour.
You may not use clan signatures / under-banners of clans that you are not currently in, they have been left linked in the spoiler in case you need to save them, please change your signature to something else. Any issues PM any of the CD staff.

#7 Aeterna

Aeterna

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

I was, my parents wouldn't let me use the internet alone until I was 13.

#8 Colt M1911

Colt M1911

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Personally was ~12 when I started playing back near 02 (?).  

Anyway I see it as they want the older people who have control over what they can buy/have control to beg their parents (lol).  Everything is about make $$ so why would this be no different.  That's my 2 cents anyways.

Posted Image

Proud Divine Forces Member

#9 Robert 1992

Robert 1992

Read over there »

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

Didn't they omit the at-least-over-13 rule a long time ago? I remember there being talk about it for quite some time, but if they recycled it I have no problem with that. Most of the Runescape community acts like they are under 13 years of age anyway, I'm not surprised.

#10 Arno

Arno

Oh hi

• Clan:Druidz

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

(forward to 0:16)
Lawsuits

That's pretty much the only explanation I can think of. They want to sell the game to pre-teens, because ... well, the more the merrier the more money. But they do not want to get sued by parents all over the world looking to earn easy money.

-[Head of the CMP]-

-[Retired since 2012]-
-[Voted Poster of 2009]-
-[Voted Best Debater of 2010]-

-[Ex-Pictures | GFX | General Discussion Leader]-

#11 Recruit011

Recruit011

Enjoyed time is not wasted time.

• RS Name:Recruit011
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostMagickrider, on 01 August 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

If you are under 13 and created an account prior to 24 November 2010,  you will be unable to disclose personal data through the game or  website. If we find out that any personal data we have collected is from someone  under 13, we will automatically delete it. We recommend that, for  existing accounts, parents / guardians should play together with their  children.
You may remember selecting your age as above thirteen years old when  first created your account, were you actually above the age  limit? I personally was under thirteen when I first sampled the game.

Nope, I was around 10 at the time. We all know that age limits have absolutely no power in this world. To be honest, I don't see a reason why there was an age limit put in place, even to this day I see nothing that can be considered offensive to anyone. The only reason I can think of (for at the time) was to preserve some sort of mature community, which we all know wasn't largely present and still isn't to this day.

As some you may have noticed, Runescape is being geared to appeal to younger crowds. While Jagex acknowledge that some of the game's content is not suitable for pre-teens, are they really making an attempt to stop under-age players? or do actually want these players to be a part of their community so claim the $5 a month the player might give them.

Of course they are not making an attempt at preventing pre-teens from playing the game. Besides, it isn't their responsibility, it's the childs parents. Of course they would love to take money off people, it's what they are there to do. Would you turn your head to a large potential market that is responsible for bringing in millions of pounds of profit per year? I think not.

Continuing from the quote above, they then go on to say while we appreciate that many pre-teens would want to use our websites,  we urge parents/guardians to instruct their children not to lie about  their age so as to be able to use our websites before they are old  enough. Instead, we recommend that parents set up an account and play together with their pre-teens who are otherwise too young to play the  game… being realistic, there are very slim chances of this ever happening.

What you said here is true. It's called social responsibility to appear friendly and responsible to all of your consumer base, namely concerned parents in this case. So by stating what they did, they are appearing responsible for the non-existant "violence" and mature features that appear in the game.
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Asus ATI Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB
12GB 1333mhz RAM (2x4GB + 2x2GB) | WD 500GB HDD
Corsair Builder Series CX 600W V2 | Xigmatek Asgard

#12 Jimb0b

Jimb0b

Lets Party

• RS Name:Jimb0b
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:LnL

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

i was under the age limit when i started also, i was 9 or 10. However I am 19 now so i could care less about age limits now being as there isnt much im not allowed to do.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Posted Image

Check out my achievement thread where 'ugh' is an understatement..!

Here!

#13 IOPALUTIL

IOPALUTIL

• RS Status:Free
  • Clan:EXNOT

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

It's pretty safe to assume that probably over half of the people who create/created their accounts are under the age of 13
AGAGAGAGAGAGa

#14 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

konnekting rod

• RS Name:Garalon

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

The three most common lies on the internet:

I have read and agree with the Terms of Service.
Yes, I am over the age of 18.

No one really tells the truth regarding their age on the internet.

When I made my first account on RS, there was no age limits/restrictions, so I suppose I didn't really lie when I made the account.

#15 Eagleplaya

Eagleplaya

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

They just dont want accountability for what the pre-teens might see on the game I guess. I was 13 when I made my account.

Posted Image

#16 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

• RS Name:Drill Sarge

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

I was 10 when I started, and I actually gave them my real age because I didn't know that Jagex didn't have any way of validating my actual age.  Mysteriously, my account was granted Free Chat about 2 weeks after I signed up.  I proceeded to lie about my age on all my subsequent accounts.  Now I'm 13, so I've reached the age of majority, in a way.  The spread of this just proves that as long as there are preventative measures to any malicious act, there will always be people who will attempt to circumvent it.  This applies to... pretty much everything.

~Anti-Troll

您好! 我叫Anti-Troll。  我在美国出生,和在美国住在。 我是中国人!

谁? 你是谁? 我不知道你叫什么。 我不认识你啊。 但是,我知道你又美又聪明。 我知道我爱你。

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#17 Scoobyninja

Scoobyninja

Roaming Runner

• RS Name:Scoobyninja

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostMagickrider, on 01 August 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

When I created my first account I was around 9 or 10 years old. I told my parents about the game after I had registered because they were wondering what is was. I decided to ask for membership after a few months of enjoying the game, my request was denied by my parents. They didn't know that I had to be over 13 to play the game, but they did know that to have entertainment you should be paying for it yourself, especially with something as risky as online games where you account can be taken or the game could be a cheap trick to gain money. I don't believe it's Jagex's job to stop children from playing this game, but much rather, the parent's job. They control their children and can force them to do things, where as Jagex can only put restrictions on them and they can't even be enforced properly without putting more interest into it.

Posted Image

#18 Player Killer

Player Killer

Pro-er turmoiler pker

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

I was in 4th grade when I started playing...who said anything about HAVING to be 13+? The most they could do at that time was not let me create an account for 24 hours after I selected the "12 or under" (but i didn't know what cookies were at that time).
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Click here for great edge pk vids!

#19 CakesAreFries

CakesAreFries

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

How about you stop collecting my personal information, Jagex. Try using our Facebook account connection to do the opposite of what they did to privacy. If you don't steal our pictures and information then you won't have the World Police (aka America) busting down your door for child pr0n.

View Postkasame10, on 01 August 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

and what they going to do about it? im turning 13 in 17 days 0.0. my acc is level 108 p2p 100 f2p but i quit not so long ago. never had problems when i started around '06. AND english isn't even my birth languace.
That is quite clear. In the grand scheme however, I think that despite the horrible use of English in-game by players, it would actually be beneficial towards your learning of it.

/Troll+Truth

Edit: I was 10 when I started playing.

Edited by CakesAreLies, 01 August 2011 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Samoht

Samoht

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

I was 23 when I signed up, so it's not really an issue for me. lol  As a player who is over 20 I do feel like I'm in a minority.  However, I don't think that Runescape is 'geared' to pre-teens much at all.  If anything the shear complexity of the game shows it's geared to older, smarter players.  The real only parts of the game I would consider 'childish' would be the Stronghold of Security and such, and those updates were quite some time ago.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.   ~ Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: