Tutorial Island- Gone

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 JessyU

JessyU

• RS Name:HeyitsJessy
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

A new player playing Runescape for the first time once had to complete a tutorial that taught the basics of Runescape, but now that island has no use whatsoever (except that it exists on the world map) due to being replaced by "Unstable foundations". This "quest" teaches new players the basics and was removed by Jagex in May 2011. Although it was a crappy quest and wasnt very helpful to new players, it was removed and replaced with nothing. So what is left?  A new player entering Runescape is simply thrown into the game without any guidance? Jagex implemented the "Task" system as a way to teach new players the basics and help them learn to play Runescape instead of just getting confused and logging out but do you think its better?

I think removing tutorial island was a pathetic mistake by Jagex and new players like my cousin had to have me explain everything to them before they were able to play. The task system to a new player is complicated and confusing to understand and is not a good way to invite a player into a Massive Online Adventure Game. Also I believe removing tutorial island as well as Unstable Foundations also makes botting easier. It allows for cheaters to create mass amounts of bots without having to complete tutorial island. Im not too sure what Jagex was trying to do here but what do you guys think?

Edited by Jessy Uppal, 03 July 2011 - 05:13 PM.

Nobody told the sheep, that they outnumber the wolves.

#2 Holl

Holl

Piggeh

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

I totally agree with you. I made a pure a couple of weeks ago and although I have been playing for 5 years it was quite surprising how little it actually helped when I thought about it. Mining, woodcutting and firemaking? Three simple skills that are the least of your problems when you first join Runescape. The old tutorial far surpassed the quest, teaching you everything from opening doors to running around the basics you need to start playing!

Pointless to remove it and replace it with something far less useful.
Posted Image
[  Signature Shop  ] -  [  Forums  ]  - [  Recruitment Topic  ]
  • ~GFX CL~

#3 Regent

Regent

Love & Give

• RS Name:Raiharu
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:KFC
  • Team:Popeyes

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

I thought the old Tutorial Island was far more helpful as it told you exactly the basics of the game. Then they replaced it with
Unstable Foundations, which confused the hell outta me. Sure it was "exciting" but it was nothing more than graphical eye-candy. The new tutorial
isn't so much better, either. What was wrong with Tutorial Island anyways?  :thumbsup:

Edited by Procyon, 03 July 2011 - 03:10 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Scymnus

Scymnus

• RS Name:Scymnus
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Tutorial island was definitely better. It got annoying after the first completion, but at most you need 3-4 accounts over the years anyway. You can live with the extra time spent knowing that everyone who is new to the game will actually know what to do. Unstable foundations was complete bs, and I would rather have nothing, but most of all I want the island back. Unless they release some epic quest featuring all the random event characters or something situated on the island, after which it has some actual use. Would be a lot of fun and bring back some memories for those of us who experienced it, and would probably be interesting to see for everyone else.

#5 brunokiller

brunokiller

Runescaper

• RS Name:Brunokiller
  • Clan:None

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

Apparently a ton of new players ragequit when they had to play tut island, so jagex made another tutorial.
Posted Image

#6 JessyU

JessyU

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

View Postbrunokiller, on 03 July 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

Apparently a ton of new players ragequit when they had to play tut island, so jagex made another tutorial.

source?

OT: The island exists on the minimap so maybe they are planning something but currently if I was a new player I would just log off rather then even attempt to figure out what all those buttons did and what to do. So with no new players coming in besides bots the future of Runescape seems well........ Unstable.

#7 Magick

Magick

outrageous

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

To be honest, i think this ties in with the huge up-rise of botters. If players don't know how to make money, they are likely to search the internet for sites that offer 'cheats' or anything similar. Well since Runescape has no cheats, they will end up on RWT/Botting sites.

I do however, think they will make something to replace it, i mean if they wanted to completely erase tutorial island, it wouldn't take much effort to remove it off the map aswell.

Posted Image

#8 Mika™

Mika™

«Reppin' the LilMsV»

• RS Name:LilMsV

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Jagex was probably thinking; you have to be 13 to play the game or what not anyway at 13 you should be able to "catch" onto things quickly. I also believe that they think their higher levels will assist with those who need assisting.

I hated tutorial island back then and hated it even more after they tried to update it. I think that runescape is a fairly simple game and that if you can't understand what you are doing within a day of starting you shouldn't be playing. There are many sites just like other games to help you succeed in anything there is to do on rs.

Edited by Mikaburrr, 03 July 2011 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image

.....I'll Be Right Beside You

#9 JessyU

JessyU

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostMikaburrr, on 03 July 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

Jagex was probably thinking; you have to be 13 to play the game or what not anyway at 13 you should be able to "catch" onto things quickly. I also believe that they think their higher levels will assist with those who need assisting.

I hated tutorial island back then and hated it even more after they tried to update it. I think that runescape is a fairly simple game and that if you can't understand what you are doing within a day of starting you shouldn't be playing. There are many sites just like other games to help you succeed in anything there is to do on rs.

how often would you need tutorial island.....? you do it once and its not even meant for players creating multiple accounts for pures/bots. And since when do new players look for sites to get help with a new game? Chances are the first thing they will find is a bunch of sites selling gold or bots before they will find a help site like zybez.

#10 SnaptiK

SnaptiK

you won't ever fly fast enough to make time stand still.

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

Stupid idea on Jagex's behalf for sure. I know the game is easy and all but now they expect new players to figure it out for themselves, let alone let bots enter 3x as quicker. I mean, the tutorial island was annoying for me but still, I'd rather they didn't get rid of it. I haven't played with the Task options yet so I can't really say if it's better, but as long as its helpful then it should be alright. Although, actions speak louder than words.

Edited by SnaptiK, 03 July 2011 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Mika™

Mika™

«Reppin' the LilMsV»

• RS Name:LilMsV

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

View PostJessy Uppal, on 03 July 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

View PostMikaburrr, on 03 July 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

how often would you need tutorial island.....? you do it once and its not even meant for players creating multiple accounts for pures/bots. And since when do new players look for sites to get help with a new game? Chances are the first thing they will find is a bunch of sites selling gold or bots before they will find a help site like zybez.

For any game I've every played whether it be mmorpgs or console games if I have ever came across a road block I looked it up on the net, that is just me but the net is quite helpful.....and if you look up on google "Runescape" the first page runescape.com 3 times, wiki rs, youtube, runehq, and tip.it (H)

Edited by Mikaburrr, 03 July 2011 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image

.....I'll Be Right Beside You

#12 Wiiiildy

Wiiiildy

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

Good for rs veterans making new accounts, bad for brand new players who want to get a feel for the game.

#13 Jet Planes

Jet Planes

Tol

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Tutorial Island was awesome and is always missed by me. That dragon slayer thing it was replaced by was so point less in my opinion, and to be honest made me bored to the point I have never completed that "quest". Oh well, things change, I guess.  :wub:

Posted Image

Past name = Goldknight21

#14 Daviddts

Daviddts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

I loved tutorial island and hate they removed it. I believe they said they had plans for it but I am not 100% sure. I recently created a new account and I didn't have to do any tutorial what so ever, so it seems the other one was removed as well - the only thing you have to do now is talk to someone and then you're able to leave.

Edited by Daviddts, 03 July 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#15 Kelly

Kelly

Previous name: Kelly Girl33

• RS Name:Kellyy

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:56 AM

I think removing tutorial island was very stupid on JaGEx's part. I, a member who has played since 2003-2004ish, went through on a new account that I was going to use just for the clan chat, was utterly confused with the new tutorial to RuneScape, which seemed to have taken me much more time, effort, brainpower, and resources than it would to just go through the tutorial island. It has been debated for awhile now whether or not JaGEx should allow previous players to opt out of going through the tutorial, assuming that they know what to do and I still believe this should be put into affect, as many players get bored and make new accounts to PKing, use for clan chats, etc.

When I took my first tour through the tutorial island in 2003-2004 (I can't remember exactly which year), I understood everything. I found the game itself complex and took my time, trying to understand key details on how to do things, expecting it to be difficult. I realized it wasn't as hard as I had thought. I did, however, find the mining and smithing section very confusing. It took me about a half hour to get past attempting to find out what ore the tin and the copper were. I didn't realize I had to examine what they were and simply tried to mine them.

Now, looking at the game interface to try and simply walk through, I find everything to be over done, dramatic, and exaggerated. Seriously, what idiots going to get burnt to a crisp by a dragon, or have their things hijacked by a bunch of goblins at a very specifically key time?

Just my views,
Kelly

Edit\note: I looked on the game map just for sheer curiousness...
Posted Image

Look how the tutorial island is still there, but unused and very replaced?

Edited by Kelly Girl33, 04 July 2011 - 12:57 AM.

Posted Image

[My Goals & Achievements Thread] - [Ex-Zybez Maintenance Crew] - [Ex-Zybez DJ]

~~ Join Zybez's in-game friends chat: "Zchat" ~~

Posted Image

#16 ToeJam

ToeJam

Finger Picking Good

• RS Name:ToeJam

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

View Postadohaj, on 04 July 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

It would have made more sense to add a skip option than to delete it altogether

That's what I was going to say  :wub: Quite a few games I've come across have a 'Skip tutorial' for advanced/impatient players.

In my opinion that would have been better than nothing.

Posted Image

#17 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Zybez's Unofficial Brony Representative

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

I do think that JaGEx needs to put Tutorial Island back into place. Yeah, sure, tutorial island could be frustrating for a first time player (speaking from experience. On my first account I had no idea how to open the door), but that experience was necessary so that the players could function in Runescape proper. It seems the popular consensus is that Tutorial Island should be put back with an option to skip the tutorial, which I whole-heartedly support. I also think that JaGEx hopes that new players will talk to the Lumbridge Guide, who at least to me seems only to be useful during Recipe for Disaster...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#18 Pez Hype

Pez Hype

• RS Name:MikillPane

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

You don't even have to do a tutorial now. When you make a new account it spawns you in the Explorer guy's house and gives you the Introductory Tasks to do if you want to. You can even skip those now and get straight into the game.

#19 M n M 4 lyf

M n M 4 lyf

• RS Name:M n M 4 lyf

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

So there is no tutorial whatsoever now?  I think they need to bring back tutorial island or at least some form of a tutorial to teach new players about all the skills and how to train them.

I can imagine new player randomly walking around and then getting bored after 5 minutes because they don't know wtf to do...
Posted Image

#20 kasame10

kasame10

Haters gonna be dumb.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

View PostDan the Jedi, on 04 July 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

I do think that JaGEx needs to put Tutorial Island back into place. Yeah, sure, tutorial island could be frustrating for a first time player (speaking from experience. On my first account I had no idea how to open the door), but that experience was necessary so that the players could function in Runescape proper. It seems the popular consensus is that Tutorial Island should be put back with an option to skip the tutorial, which I whole-heartedly support. I also think that JaGEx hopes that new players will talk to the Lumbridge Guide, who at least to me seems only to be useful during Recipe for Disaster...

its still in place... but unused lol. tut island was gud, new thing was bad, new new thing was bad, removing stuff altogehter = jamflex
negative rep if you like my post, positive if you don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: