Answered

Max Cash.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

I was just wondering why max cash is what it is?  I know that's the limit of an int, but why not just use a long or some other data type?

Not sure if this should be here or in computing. |:

Posted Image

#2 Exo Shock

Exo Shock

Pyromaniac

• RS Name:Exo Shock
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Max Cash is just a problem with Java:

[quote name='RS Wiki]2' date='147,483,647 (or (2^(31))-1) is the highest number that is possible to store in a 32-bit signed integer in the Java programming language. Consequently, this is the maximum amount of coins (and indeed any other stackable item) that can be stored in a stack. If a player attempts to withdraw or pick up coins while carrying the maximum amount of coins, it is stated that there is not enough inventory space. In terms of actual coins it is possible to store money in the bank, inventory, GE, familiar and kingdoms (7.5M max) giving an absolute total of 19,334,852,823 stored - nine max-stacks plus 7.5 million. [/quote']

Also for working with Max Cash:

[quote name='RS Wiki]If a player reaches the maximum amount of coins' date=' he or she can store extra money either in items or within the Grand Exchange by placing an offer, canceling the offer, and leaving the coins in the collection box. Each Grand Exchange slot can also hold 2,147,483,647 coins. To avoid using up Grand Exchange slots, extra money can also be spent in the purchase of items that are expected to not go down in price (such as items that are held up by a high alchemy value). A perfect item to buy to store extra money are Spirit Shards, although it is a member item. (This is a cash equivalent - they can be easily mass bought and sold for a flat rate of 25 coins.) Considering the same limit applies to Spirit Shards, players can store the equivalent of 53,687,091,175 in a single slot by buying 2.147 billion spirit shards. Consequently, by buying 2.147 billion Spirit shards packs, 268,435,455,875,000 "coins" can be stored in a single slot.[/quote']

Edited by Chiparikh, 08 April 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#3 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

So move up from 32 bits.  Excuse me if I'm wrong (I'm quite new with Java), but why can't you just use a long instead of an int?

Posted Image

#4 Exo Shock

Exo Shock

Pyromaniac

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

View Post~Six, on 08 April 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

So move up from 32 bits.

Not to be rude or for this to sound harsh, but do you think you're the first person who thought of that? Java is an extremely professional language. The creators must have thought about it many times but they obviously can't do it because of restrictions in the coding language. I'm no Java god, far from it, but there must be obvious reasons why they can't move up; the next step would be 64 bits and that's double the current amount.

#5 Seth.

Seth.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

Ill put this in a non java term for you to understand

Imagine you run a daycare centre with 32 kids,

these 32 kids all have different needs, and abilitys that you need to care after and moniter

Now imagine having double the amount of kids, double the amount of needs and double the amount of abilities, WITH, the same amount of carers as with the 32 kids.

Pretty much its just too much work, its not worth it to push java to 64 bit, the work and effort needed to keep it running :)

Hope i helped.

#6 Exo Shock

Exo Shock

Pyromaniac

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

View PostSeth., on 09 April 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

Pretty much its just too much work, its not worth it to push java to 64 bit...

I agree with the first part completely, but the second part seems a little bit opinionated. There are so many possibilities for Java. If it's expanded, Jagex would have so many options to work with. Again, just my opinion.

#7 Seth.

Seth.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

View PostChiparikh, on 09 April 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostSeth., on 09 April 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

Pretty much its just too much work, its not worth it to push java to 64 bit...

I agree with the first part completely, but the second part seems a little bit opinionated. There are so many possibilities for Java. If it's expanded, Jagex would have so many options to work with. Again, just my opinion.

Yes true there are many possiblites, i mean upgraded graphics, servers, more cash , ability to hold mroe skills more items, even more players per world.

But the biggest thing is:

Why fix something that's not broken?

#8 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yes true there are many possiblites, i mean upgraded graphics, servers, more cash , ability to hold mroe skills more items, even more players per world.
Exactly.

But I disagree, it is broken.  Thousands of players have max cash and it's bothersome to store it in other ways, but I don't think ANYONE will EVER get 9,223,372,036,854,775,807GP.

Java was new when they made runescape, but there's just no reason to stay in the past.  64 bit ftw!

Edited by ~Six, 09 April 2011 - 08:21 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Seth.

Seth.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

View Post~Six, on 09 April 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

Exactly.

But I disagree, it is broken. Thousands of players have max cash and it's bothersome to store it in other ways, but I don't think ANYONE will EVER get 9,223,372,036,854,775,807GP.

Java was new when they made runescape, but there's just no reason to stay in the past. 64 bit ftw!

Why is it broken?

Yes sousands of players have max cash which is 2 bil something or whatever it is.

But you can have 2 bil in cash
2 bill in EACH GE slot
Up to 2 bill of EACH item

Why would you need mroe than that?

#10 Ďanne

Ďanne

• RS Name:Terror Toad
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

View PostSeth., on 09 April 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

View Post~Six, on 09 April 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

Exactly.

But I disagree, it is broken. Thousands of players have max cash and it's bothersome to store it in other ways, but I don't think ANYONE will EVER get 9,223,372,036,854,775,807GP.

Java was new when they made runescape, but there's just no reason to stay in the past. 64 bit ftw!

Why is it broken?

Yes sousands of players have max cash which is 2 bil something or whatever it is.

But you can have 2 bil in cash
2 bill in EACH GE slot
Up to 2 bill of EACH item

Why would you need mroe than that?
Ye and you can also store cash in Spirit Shards.

View Postml., on 19 January 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

We have some standards, thank you very much

LOL VR

#11 Seth.

Seth.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Exactly :)

so tbh theres no need to update it

theres more than enough ways to stockpile cash

+ If they updated java to 64 bit, updates graphics more players per world, it would increase the system requirements to run runescape loosing more players than it would gain

#12 æther

æther

Prime. Like.Optimus.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Well I have enough to run it no problem, but you wouldn't have to update it all to 64, right?
And yeah, you can get around it by storing it in things like ge offers, but you shouldn't have to.

Posted Image

#13 Valdas

Valdas

• RS Name:Valdas
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

Why not use other type? To save A LOT of bandwidth.
Posted Image

#14 Seth.

Seth.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

View Post~Six, on 09 April 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

Well I have enough to run it no problem, but you wouldn't have to update it all to 64, right?
And yeah, you can get around it by storing it in things like ge offers, but you shouldn't have to.

You would have to update it all to 64, you cant just update bits of it.

And yeah you could run it, but some people play runescape on older computers lacking the CPU/memory or whatever to run an advanced java.

And to the other guys question. To switch runescape to a whole new language would be like transferring the worlds population to jupiter.

Impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: