#1 I am Nyu

I am Nyu

Nyu!

• RS Name:Nyu Nyu
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:DGS

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

POPULAR

Oh my countless hours of tracking and testing from 34 farm all the way to nearly 94 farm... and then researching it a bit on RSWiki. My data matches? Oh hell yes! Now I know it's true, so I can share how to do the perfect herb runs.

Runescape's farming cycles run based on GMT time (not vastly important for herb runs) and the day starts off at 00:00. What significance is this? Well... because of how farm cycles work!

Herbs run on a twenty minute cycle. They take four cycles to fully grow, assuming they do not get diseased (which stops their growth, and then they die after 2-3 cycles of being diseased...) How does this tie in? Every cycle occurs 1/3rd of an hour, 2/3rds of an hour, or on the hour.

Example:
3:00, 3:20, 3:40, 4:00, 4:20, 4:40, etc.

It won't make a significant difference if you don't do multiple herb runs a day, or don't try to be on time. However knowing to wait a few minutes to ensure all herbs on are one cycle can save you 20 minutes of waiting on the last of your herbs to grow, which fellow farmers know is very frustrating. It also lets you keep your farm runs closer to on-time, because you can see when you planted your last herb, let's say at 3:16. The first cycle would be at 3:20, 2nd at 3:40, 3rd at 4:00, and they would be done at 4:20. But what if you planted your first herb at 3:18 and your last herb at 3:22? Now instead of waiting until 4:20, you're waiting until 4:40 for your herbs to be finished! 3:40 (1), 4:00 (2), 4:20 (3), 4:40 (4).

Using a timer is not suggested because of how the farm cycles work. So don't tell me "why not put a timer on for 80 minutes?". This can potentially make you 20 minutes late for your farm run! That's why.  :suspect:

Amulet of Farming and Disease

As far as the amulet of farming goes... unless you're feeling lazy, you should no longer need it to know when your herbs will be done. Look at the clock, round to the nearest 20/40/hour, count up 4 cycles. Your herbs will be ready then. This means its only good for preventing death by warning you of disease.

Disease however stops the cycle until you cure the plant (or it dies..), so if you find a plant has been diseased and you cure it, unless you know the visual cycles (sizes for each cycle) I suggest putting your farm run off for 2 cycles. Disease can be rather irritating as it makes the entire run be delayed 1-2 cycles.

Logging out and game ticks

I personally have yet to experience this, but I read on RSWiki that logging out can reset your current farm cycle. That or I didn't understand the passage. Therefore I suggest if you're getting off at 3:18 and you have some herbs growing. Wait til a few seconds after 3:20 to log off to ensure your cycle doesn't start over if you are planning on getting back on in the next 20 minutes. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Because of lag between you and the server and how game ticks work, the times are not exact. Therefore I suggest giving yourself a 1-2 minute breathing room. I start my farm runs 8 minutes until the next cycle and finish with 2-3 minutes to spare.

Trees, bushes and all that awesome stuff

All of these things run on seperate timers that happen at different times in GMT. I don't find it significant since most people only do 1 tree run a day and people who harvest bushes and stuff do it with/after their herb runs. If you're curious for whatever reason you can check out RSWiki (Google; Rswiki Farm Seed Times)

EDIT:
It has come to my attention the only notable search result for being told to "Google RSwiki Farm Seed Times" is this page...

Fruit Trees run on 6 160 min cycles for a total of 960 mins.

Calquat Trees run on 8 160 min cycles for a total of  1280 mins.

AKA:
21 hours (roughly)

I'll get bushes/normal trees if asked. OTL

Small personal note:
This has held true for me for as long as I can remember, my data matches that of RSWiki, and my farm runs are now done hourly instead of every 80-90 minutes. Meaning my farm runs are on time more often, this means I can get more farm runs done. More farm runs is more experience, and more profit. I don't have to wait around on my herbs to be finished or go check to see if they are finished yet. I know when they are finished. I no longer need to wear my amulet of farming (unless I want to cure it from disease). I'm glad I finally confirmed my data.

Edited by I am Nyu, 30 July 2011 - 12:19 AM.

We're seeking the [truth], "We do not care if it is a lie". As if we can see right through it, we follow it along.

@NyusFeed | YouTube

Posted Image

#2 Blightcaller

Blightcaller

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

Interesting tip, but I think I'd rather wait the extra couple minutes than deal with the stress of timing everything properly.

+1 for you nonetheless it was a good analysis

Edited by Blightcaller, 03 March 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#3 I am Nyu

I am Nyu

Nyu!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

View PostBlightcaller, on 03 March 2011 - 11:43 PM, said:

Interesting tip, but I think I'd rather wait the extra couple minutes than deal with the stress of timing everything properly.

+1 for you nonetheless it was a good analysis

Basically this tip in a tl;d goes like this:

Don't do your farm runs at 56-59 minutes (1:56 to 1:59), or at 16-19 minutes (1:16 to 1:19) or 36-39 minutes (1:36 to 1:39) to ensure everything is on 1 cycle.

Not very stressful. But I can understand where you are coming from. Remembering the time can be an annoyance. (Did I plant those are 2:22 or 2:18? Damn it... whatever)

But all you need to do is be able to count to 4...

Edited by I am Nyu, 04 March 2011 - 12:07 AM.

We're seeking the [truth], "We do not care if it is a lie". As if we can see right through it, we follow it along.

@NyusFeed | YouTube

Posted Image

#4 Bingo

Bingo

Mr. Steal Your Girl

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

Interesting tip. Thank you! I do herb runs all the time, so I'll have to watch out for this.
Posted Image
~Thanks to Pluto ^_^
If you have any questions about RuneScape, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help.
Zybez Content Team - March-August 2011
--Won't be on much due to health issues, PM if needed--

#5 Thunder9

Thunder9

tits

• RS Name:Thundergay

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

Where was this 2 years ago.  :suspect:

#6 I am Nyu

I am Nyu

Nyu!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

View PostThunder9, on 04 March 2011 - 12:33 AM, said:

Where was this 2 years ago.  :-P
Still being researched by me back when I was 40 farm.  :suspect:

Trust me I want to break things too after finding it out... which is why I'm sharing it.

@NyusFeed | YouTube

Posted Image

#7 Seoul

Seoul

• RS Name:Seoul Split

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the tip! I've noticed the cycles too, but I usually wait an extra 10 or so minutes to be extra sure I don't have to sit by that silly leprechaun waiting for my last toady to grow  :suspect:

Posted Image

#8 Stake Bonh

Stake Bonh

The Wise One

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

This has helped me a lot! thanks nyu :) All I have basically done from 32 - 49 farming is herbs only and I will continue this for the next year, and using your times I know I will have more xp and profit! +1
Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Signature and avatar rules. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me. Thanks, Ramu

#9 zoth01

zoth01

• RS Name:crovaxx07
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

For people who want to know how can this be extremely usefull for even the casual farmer:

Assuming you plant your herbs right before a new cycle starts, you'd be looking at 70minutes of herbs, instead of 80 or even 90.

Since 6 rounds of herbs  take 540 minutes, you would be making 2 more herb runs using nyu's tip, since your herbs would take only 420 minutes per 6 rounds.

OP: Glad to see the amulet of nature there, hopefully this will people use it on trees, which is far more easier since they have the biggest delay times if we don't plan the cycle/log out/in alot.

Gz on the great tip without needing to have 99 farming  :whistle:

I am everything I want to be, I am a Lucid Dreamer.

#10 Frostymouse

Frostymouse

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Quite useful, Nyu.

#11 Musica

Musica

We did it for the glory.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

I'd rather wait the extra 10 minutes and finish whatever I was doing since its usually more profitable than the farming run anyways.
Kill one man, murderer.
            Kill millions, conqueror.
                             Kill them all, god.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Click any image to go to my G&A thread.

#12 homaosapian

homaosapian

• RS Name:homaosapian
  • RS Status:Free
  • Clan:RSD

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

Runescape through math and testing... it's so beautiful:cry:
Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Help & Rules Section. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Thanks, Shauly

#13 zoth01

zoth01

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostMusica, on 04 March 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'd rather wait the extra 10 minutes and finish whatever I was doing since its usually more profitable than the farming run anyways.

No it's not, that would mean loosing more than 500k profit (assuming snaps+ jujus). The only ocasion it would be worth would be at frost dragons, since the profit is consistent, and theres chances of more drops besides the bones.

#14 M

M

<owning since '01>

• RS Name:Sirius

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

I just log out and in right before I do an herb run. Who knows exactly when they first logged in for that session? :P

[99 attack]x[99 strength]x[45 defence]x[99 hitpoints]x[99 prayer]x[99 range]x[99 magic]x[99 summoning]  
112+12combat
Sirius

#15 zoth01

zoth01

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

View PostM, on 04 March 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

I just log out and in right before I do an herb run. Who knows exactly when they first logged in for that session? :P

Well the way it works mostly assuming you aren't logging out. But it may be usefull to take that into account when you farm trees. Logging 5 minutes later waiting for the cycle and logging out when the new one starts, means you didn't waste 40minutes for growth time (talking about maples in this example).

#16 Shears

Shears

Retired 12 Year Old/Fog Pro/#1 Flamer

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Regardless
Herb runs aren't efficient. Not exactly the most helpful for me but I guess for others it's alright.. :s I guess good job on the time you put into a tip.
Posted Image

#17 I am Nyu

I am Nyu

Nyu!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

View Postzoth01, on 04 March 2011 - 08:03 AM, said:

For people who want to know how can this be extremely usefull for even the casual farmer:

Assuming you plant your herbs right before a new cycle starts, you'd be looking at 70minutes of herbs, instead of 80 or even 90.

Since 6 rounds of herbs  take 540 minutes, you would be making 2 more herb runs using nyu's tip, since your herbs would take only 420 minutes per 6 rounds.

OP: Glad to see the amulet of nature there, hopefully this will people use it on trees, which is far more easier since they have the biggest delay times if we don't plan the cycle/log out/in alot.

Gz on the great tip without needing to have 99 farming  :whistle:

I did more thinking about that actually and found out that's actually wrong, but it seems that way. You get the same amount of runs in, you're just less likely to have to wait 20 minutes due to planting in 2 cycles.

Watch this example:

Plants last herb at 3:01
3:20 (1), 3:40 (2), 4:00 (3), 4:20 (4)

Plants last herb at 3:19
3:20 (1), 3:40 (2), 4:00 (3), 4:20 (4)

Both would finish at the same time. However I enjoy waiting until 3:12~ to do my farm run since I'm usually finishing something else up at the time. It's also easier for me to remember "Okay, in exactly 1 hour my herbs will be done." than it is to go "Okay, in about 80 minutes my herbs will be done.... I hope".

Timing your cycles is to ensure that this doesn't happen:
Plants 1st herb at 2:58, last herb at 3:03
3:00 (1), 3:20 (2), 3:40 (3), 4:00 (4, first herbs are done), 4:20 (5), last herbs are done)

If I waited just 2 minutes I could have saved myself 18 minutes of waiting.

View PostShears, on 04 March 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Regardless
Herb runs aren't efficient. Not exactly the most helpful for me but I guess for others it's alright.. :s I guess good job on the time you put into a tip.

Herb run: 5 minutes
Profit run w/ Juju (for me): Over 300k currently
# of runs that can be done in 1 hour of time: 12 (since waiting on things to grow doesn't matter for efficiency. You can go do other things for the 4 grow cycles)
300k * 12 = 3,600,000gp / hr

3.6m / hr is even higher stable money than frost dragons. The current best thing. Want to know the funny thing?

I'm not even planting Snapdragon's, which would be better overall profit.

It's one of the most efficient money makers in this game. Which means although the XP is pathetic (I get like 5-6k xp/run) the money makes it so you can be more efficient in other areas of the game. Affording that 3m/hr expense for faster training for example....(burning magic logs anyone?)

Oh.. not to mention that I can play 5 minutes, log out. Come back in 60. Play 5 minutes, log out. I hardly even need to play the game.

Edited by I am Nyu, 04 March 2011 - 02:33 PM.

@NyusFeed | YouTube

Posted Image

#18 Musica

Musica

We did it for the glory.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostI am Nyu, on 04 March 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

# of runs that can be done in 1 hour of time: 12 (since waiting on things to grow doesn't matter for efficiency. You can go do other things for the 4 grow cycles)

3.6m / hr is even higher stable money than frost dragons. The current best thing. Want to know the funny thing?

It's one of the most efficient money makers in this game. Which means although the XP is pathetic (I get like 5-6k xp/run) the money makes it so you can be more efficient in other areas of the game. Affording that 3m/hr expense for faster training for example....(burning magic logs anyone?)

Oh.. not to mention that I can play 5 minutes, log out. Come back in 60. Play 5 minutes, log out. I hardly even need to play the game.

I don't know how you think you get 3.6m an hour from farming unless you count that you only play for 5 mins.. you still have to wait 12 hours for all those herbs to grow. In 12 hours at frosts I could make over 10x that.
Kill one man, murderer.
                             Kill them all, god.

Posted Image

#19 I am Nyu

I am Nyu

Nyu!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

View PostMusica, on 04 March 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostI am Nyu, on 04 March 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

I don't know how you think you get 3.6m an hour from farming unless you count that you only play for 5 mins.. you still have to wait 12 hours for all those herbs to grow. In 12 hours at frosts I could make over 10x that.

Yes I'm only counting the fact you play for 5 minutes. Nobody is forcing you to to do nothing in those 12 hours of waiting.

You need to wait 60 minutes to do your farm run. In these 60 minutes go kill frost dragons. If you can make 300k + in 5 minutes at frost dragons, then stay at frost dragons. Otherwise go bank and do you farm run.

Nobody is forcing you to babysit your herb patches. I laugh at anyone who does so that isn't stunalching at Ardy/Ecto patch or fletching broad bolts/arrows.

EDIT:
I could easily make 400k / 5 minutes if I switched what I was planting. Frost dragons make what.... under 300k in 5 minutes? Actually I'd be surprised if they made over 250k in 5 minutes. I'd be making more money than you farming and killing frost dragons than you would make just killing frost dragons.

It's more efficient to farm while doing other things than it is to only do other things.

Edited by I am Nyu, 04 March 2011 - 04:23 PM.

@NyusFeed | YouTube

Posted Image

#20 Musica

Musica

We did it for the glory.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Sure, assuming in pure playtime, you will make more gp/hr than me. But it takes you 12 hours of real time. If you did farm runs of any herb and only logged in for 5 mins every hour just to farm and I chose to do Frosts for 12 hours, I would make more money than you.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Edit: I can make ~4m+ an hour at Frosts, easily.

Edited by Musica, 04 March 2011 - 04:27 PM.

Kill one man, murderer.
                             Kill them all, god.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt