• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lat.

Lat.

Have Heart.

• RS Name:X0n
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

So, my little brother used my mom's computer, and ever since, it's been messed up.
It's practically on lockdown, picking up everything as "Infected", then reroutes you to an antivirus software. I told her to go into Safe Mode and get a HJT log, but it didn't pick up anything as malware.

So, right now I'm having her to an Anti-Malwarebytes scan, but I have no guarantees that it will do anything. What should be the next step taken if this fails?

Posted Image

Ex-Zybez DJ and Ex-Zybez20 Member.

Any Questions? PM me.

#2 Badboy 236

Badboy 236

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

HJT shows you what's open in the background as you run the scan. It is then your job to find out the issue.

Go check if your lil bro didn't instal something recently - also suggest you to run a scan with malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Posted Image

[Proud Former Shadow Elves Member/Mentor/Event Org.]
[Proud Former Solace Member/Mentor/Honoured Member]
[Proud Former Divine Forces Member/App. Reviewer]

#3 Lat.

Lat.

Have Heart.

• RS Name:X0n
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

View PostBadboy 236, on 19 February 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

HJT shows you what's open in the background as you run the scan. It is then your job to find out the issue.

That's the reason as to why i did an HJT scan.

View PostBadboy 236, on 19 February 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

Go check if your lil bro didn't instal something recently - also suggest you to run a scan with malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I already tried this, as stated in the post.

Posted Image

Ex-Zybez DJ and Ex-Zybez20 Member.

Any Questions? PM me.

#4 Nick.

Nick.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:40 AM

It would be beneficial to know what page and anti-virus program you are being rerouted to, as this sounds very much like a type of trojan virus known as a Re-Direct Virus. Post the required information below and I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable posters would be able to help you.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Please PM me with any questions

#5 blackspy

blackspy

Cute! Fuzzy! Deadly!

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

Rerouting you to an antivrius page is indeed a virus.

You could try downloading Avast in safe mode and schedule a boot time scan and see what it picks up.

If all else fails, reinstall windows.

And kill your little brother  :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Original Member #:3661 Original Join Date: August 27th 2002 10+ Glorious Years of Un-Productivity At RSC.
Senior Moderator, Head of PK Discussion.
Any questions or comments? Please message me!
The RSC Braintrust, Skype Crew, Druidz and #community strike again! We see all. We know all.

#6 ""Vanilla990""

""Vanilla990""

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

The majority of viruses and stuff seem to end up in the temporary files folders on the user/computer.

It might be an idea to check this folder location for any suspicious looking programs. If you are ever unsure of the name of a program just shove the name into Google and there are several websites that keep information about near enough every known application and what they do and who they come from.

It might also be an idea to double check which programs are running in the Control Panel just to see if anything suspicious crops up every now and again like a virus or a trojan.

"blackspy" has already suggested that you download Avast and run a scan but generally any antivirus software is ok to scan with. Once you have scanned once I would recommend that you let it scan again but make it inspect certain folders only like the temporary files folder and such because it might pick up something the second time round. If it does pick up something then see what it wants to do with the files. I known Norton 360 likes to put files in "quarantine" which means they are in a safe location where they can't get out so Norton can get data on it before removing it from your system. No matter what antivirus if it wants to remove them because they are hazardous then I would recommend doing it. If it asks for a restart like some do then do that and load the computer back up. I would then possibly either run the antivirus scan again or download another/run another antivirus because different antivirus might pick up things differently depending on how up to date their definitions dictionaries are. If it picks up more then keep repeating a similar process to try get rid of as much as you can. If it return no results then assume that the antivirus has done the job of removing them.

You might need to revert your version of windows back to an old copy. I have had to do this in the past once where you can run windows in repair mode and if it can't find/repair the problem it will revert back to old settings and setup but making sure that all your stored files are saved although it might adjust some installed programs. It might be that there is a bug with the current windows update you have on there.

If you really can't solve the problem then try take it into a computer store/shop and see if one of the technicians can try to decipher the problem from your explanation and suggest any methods on sorting out the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: