The Profanity Filter

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 tnt0160

tnt0160

• RS Name:tnt0160
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hello, and welcome to my first post. I was reading about the Prisoner of Glouphrie quest on the Runescape website when I saw something that made me sort of mad (not out of my own thought, I kind of support this). At the bottom of the post was a short note about the newest Runescape update, the Profanity Filter. I read through it and (though I'm only 13) I thought about the rest of the world, and the little kids who might see this after just getting free chat. So they click on this, and then what? Those little 9 year olds get exposed to random swearing, and when their parents see this, the kid can't even play Runescape anymore. I was just wondering, why would Jagex want to set themselves up for thousands of lawsuits?

EDIT: Also, since Zybez follows the same rules as Runescape, would they be adding in this idea?

Edited by tnt0160, 09 February 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#2 Darrenever

Darrenever

• RS Name:Vous Et Moi

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

well as the chat filterhas an Enable and disable button, one must first enable it, so jagex protects itself with that button, if people were to get offended by it they only need to disable it again and there safe! good idea to me, too many non offensive words get filtered but now they wont :)
Posted Image

Looking for a social clan Pm me :)

#3 Blake

Blake

manacrew

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

You don't have to play Runescape to be exposed to vulgar language at a young age. As for children under the age of thirteen - they're not allowed to use the chat system and as a result shouldn't be able to disable the filter (if it isn't as so it certainly should be).

Posted Image

King of Private Message Suspensions: One | Two | Three

#4 Darrenever

Darrenever

• RS Name:Vous Et Moi

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

View Posttnt0160, on 09 February 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

View PostDarrenever, on 09 February 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

well as the chat filterhas an Enable and disable button, one must first enable it, so jagex protects itself with that button, if people were to get offended by it they only need to disable it again and there safe! good idea to me, too many non offensive words get filtered but now they wont :)

That is true, but what if the parent sees this and doesn't let the kid play at all (as I said earlier)?

good point but said parent would contact jagex, explain there anger etc and jagex would say...theres a button that can enable/disable, its down to the them on how to use it.
Posted Image

Looking for a social clan Pm me :)

#5 bolsh

bolsh

understanding

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

if you're nine, you shouldn't even be playing the game in the first place. jagex's job is not to hold each player's hand and make sure they do things a specific way, but I can understand the filter being in place for a reason. it shouldn't be too large of a problem overall, but the ability to turn the filter on and off should be done by age, not by choice. such as, if you're say 13 or younger, the filter is on; and if you're older than 13, the filter can be off you'd like. I dunno, I just think that it's going to cause some problems off the back, as everyone will abuse this.
"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#6 Wicked Sins

Wicked Sins

• RS Name:Wicked Sins

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

have you turned on a tv lately lol, its not like they will never hear this language anywhere else. besides the chat filter starts as "on" anyway so its not like they could hear it by random chance before they learn how to do it
I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.

#7 Colton

Colton

RSC Bowling Legend

• RS Name:vfwteamplaya

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

Jagex has protected themselves with the on/off button for the filter, with the primary mode having the filter turned on.  They are in no way liable for any exposure someone receives to profane language.  They have provided the option to the player - play Runescape with a filter, or turn off the filter and risk seeing a lot of profane language.

::Former Marketplace Leader | Honored Member::
::Former Stories & Poems HoF Judge | Please, PM me with anything::

#8 Minncod08

Minncod08

Herp Derp RuenScaip

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

Taken from Jagex's 'Parent's Guide' browser tab, "...our games are created with adult gamers in mind, we do appreciate that some younger players also enjoy them." The game's audience was directed toward adults. I know that adulthood isn't always synonymous with maturity, but lets be honest, if you're going to run around cussing like a sailor in an MMO, you're not going to be given any respect...this is kind of the point of trying to make; there should never have even been a chat filter in the first place. Anyways, No, Jagex won't need to worry about profanity based lawsuits. Freedom of speech takes care of that.

#9 Manga

Manga

『  』

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

If a child is on the internet they will see swearing whether they want to or not, both in-game and on forums and websites. If a child is not ready to see swearing they are too young to be this deep on the internet.

☼ This never ever should have been, but that's the way it is ☼
Posted Image
Zchat Gold Star |Zybeznet Overseer|MM&D Staff|Global Moderator

#10 Furious

Furious

Welp

• RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Mayhem Makers

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Dunno why any1 would complain about this update - I think it's awesome. Tired of having to go around the filter to get my point across usually :p

On a serious note: If you're really 13 years old and concerned about the option to turn off the filter and whatnot, then simply don't click on it at all. Problem solved.

Posted Image

#11 I am Nyu

I am Nyu

Nyu!

• RS Name:Nyu Nyu
  • Clan:DGS

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Kids under the age of 12 can only play in Quick Chat worlds. Otherwise Jagex states they should be supervised by an adult.

The parents should step up and do their job and teach their kids about profanity. Raise their kids to know that they should avoid the use of such words and actually parent their child by watching what they do and guiding them.

I find it pathetic that many parents can't even parent and expect other sources (read: entertainment, media, etc.) to cater to them and "protect my child for me!".

I'm pretty sure a child would have heard the word on another site, or from their friends before they hear it on Runescape.  :hi:

We're seeking the [truth], "We do not care if it is a lie". As if we can see right through it, we follow it along.

@NyusFeed | YouTube

Posted Image

#12 ♥ Vallery ♥

♥ Vallery ♥

~*Kinky*~

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostManga, on 09 February 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

If a child is on the internet they will see swearing whether they want to or not, both in-game and on forums and websites. If a child is not ready to see swearing they are too young to be this deep on the internet.

This!

And RUNESCAPE is 13+ if im right ? so wth would 9 year olds be playing runescape for ?Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Chaddaman124

Chaddaman124

Hi. I am clanless.

• RS Name:ChadR124
  • Clan:Clanless

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

First off, if I remember correctly, you have to be 13 to play runescape, secondly, like every game out there, they're rules and regulations box you have to click off.

Like "I accept", and in those rules and regulations are a butt load of things like "we are not responsible for online interactions etc." So the law suits thing is ridiculous. Swearing is EVERYWHERE now. Most 12 year olds are dropping the F bomb like no tommorrow. This won't be anything new for them.
135 Combat

99 Stregth.
99 Attack.
99 HP.
99 Defense.
99 Mage
99 Range
95/95 Prayer.

Retired from RS.

#14 Bren2k5

Bren2k5

{Retired}

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

Lawsuits for profanity? Lol... really? If you can't take the heat get the f out the kitchen. It's optional for a reason, just like many other games. Also you have to be 13 to even play runescape.

#15 tnt0160

tnt0160

• RS Name:tnt0160

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

View PostChaddaman124, on 09 February 2011 - 02:03 PM, said:

First off, if I remember correctly, you have to be 13 to play runescape, secondly, like every game out there, they're rules and regulations box you have to click off.

Like "I accept", and in those rules and regulations are a butt load of things like "we are not responsible for online interactions etc." So the law suits thing is ridiculous. Swearing is EVERYWHERE now. Most 12 year olds are dropping the F bomb like no tommorrow. This won't be anything new for them.

Haha too true. As for the age, there's no requirement, just must be 13 or have a parent's permission to use free chat.

As for the people patronizing me about writing this post, it wasn't out of hate for the update. I actually think it's a great idea, just so long as there's not a bunch of little kids seeing it.

#16 Scott

Scott

kill the switch

• RS Name:Surette

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

I think it's a great update; RuneScape has been missing this for years.  If you don't want to see the swears, simply keep the filter on.  If you do, turn it off.  If you're unable to make that decision on your own, you're probably too young to be playing the game anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Jono

Jono

The best a man can get!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

I like how jagex is now giving us what we want. I have wanted a toggle on/off swear filter for years now. They finally understand us! :D lolol

Posted Image
Slayer: 99/99

#18 ghoshi4

ghoshi4

• RS Status:Free

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

View Posttnt0160, on 09 February 2011 - 12:41 PM, said:

Hello, and welcome to my first post. I was reading about the Prisoner of Glouphrie quest on the Runescape website when I saw something that made me sort of mad (not out of my own thought, I kind of support this). At the bottom of the post was a short note about the newest Runescape update, the Profanity Filter. I read through it and (though I'm only 13) I thought about the rest of the world, and the little kids who might see this after just getting free chat. So they click on this, and then what? Those little 9 year olds get exposed to random swearing, and when their parents see this, the kid can't even play Runescape anymore. I was just wondering, why would Jagex want to set themselves up for thousands of lawsuits?

EDIT: Also, since Zybez follows the same rules as Runescape, would they be adding in this idea?

Runescape tos state a player must be atleast 13 yo to make an account. As such, cursing is nothing worse than kids see on tv. Even "the family channel" and disney.

#19 Ephrine

Ephrine

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Parents who disclose the "real" world from their kids consistently will soon find out when their kids are placed in the "real" world they will be so less versed than a kid that has already been exposed. Words are words. Get over it, teach your kids morale, values, and respect. If you properly do this; there's no need to be all "Oh, no! Someone said [bleeep]!".

Edited by btraill, 09 February 2011 - 07:24 PM.

Posted Image

My Twitter (@EphrineRS)

#20 PaladinWiz

PaladinWiz

Quit RS

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

We can all agree 9 year olds are exposed to much worse than curse words in the real world.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: