• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xNofanx

xNofanx

Prelude

• RS Name:Prelude
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

This is a topic i've been thinking of making for a while, i don't want to start a flamewar, but it annoys me so much when "old school" kids from 2007 or 2008 try to tell me that pures have always been one defence.

It seems with the combat system the terminology has changed, but it's not exactly the same thing.

Now most of you a probably thinking, Oh yeah, i got a pure, he's 1 def. Oh yeah my mate has a rune pure. OH hey man i got def or a barrows pure.
Well that's pretty broad isn't it? So is pure now having an extreme of one thing?

For those who don't know, the original meaning of Pure was 1 magic.
An account with 40 attack, high strength, and 1 defence, was called a prayer beast. or a PB. Funnily enough even if they didn't have prayer.
A very popular staking build and pking build was a "Pure Plater" . It was someone who had done dragon slayer without magic experience. It was impossible. Except for a short period of time when the map pieces were tradeable. And also it was added you could bribe wormtail in runescape 2.
It was quite common to see alot of pkers and players with 1 magic, staying "Pure".

On a a similar note where do you think pure came from? And i honestly don't know for sure, but i have a theory, i've been playing since 2002 and never found out how the name came.
Theory
When runescape was originally released there was good and evil magic. Perhaps pure meant to not choose either one. I mean i guess it sounds better then "Neutrals" I mean imagine if everyone had Rune Neutrals today? Haha, anyway disregard the theory if you find it silly :P

The other pet peeve over terminology i have is PJ. You know what it means?
PILE JUMP
Pjing = Pile Jumping, same stuff.
Pile jumping is where you attack someone whilst they are looting.
The loot on the ground used to be called the pile.
And in runescape 1 Pile jumping was very annoying and you usually died, because you were locked into 3 rounds of combat, and if you had survived those 3 rounds, you wouldn't have a chance to eat and loot. So at high level pking, you technically had to last through 6 rounds of combat. Which pretty much meant you were boned.

Anyway thankyou for taking the time to read this little post/rant. Am i right? Am i wrong?
I still think pure is a person 1 magic, always have and always will.
And pile jumping is attacking someone once they've killed someone else.

What do you think?

Am i right?
Am i wrong?
What does pure mean?
What does pure mean now?
Why is your join date so early?(Long story)
Will you be godfather to my child?

Edited by xNofanx, 08 February 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Posted Image

#2 ʍɐɹsɔɐdǝ

ʍɐɹsɔɐdǝ

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Pures in my day I remember being people with no mage/range levels. This was back in classic and if I remember correctly, range and mage affected your combat level regardless. Think you mentioned that at the end if I understand right..

I refer to most low levels as either "pures" or noobs" when pking. I consider pures being people with high offensive stats and low defensive stats. Tanks I consider having high defense and high offensive stats in one area (such as ranged, which would be a "ranged tank")

Doesn't really matter arguing about it as long as you are making bank. =P

Vince Lombardi said:

Individual commitment to a group effort -- that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

#3 K0ed U Ofc

K0ed U Ofc

Knocking Down Egos Since '02

• RS Name:Ask in PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

From MY experience: Pures from classic had no magic- range could be leveled without it effecting combat IIRC.

In RS2, the word "pure" became associated with 1 defense, but as more builds came out, the word "pure" spread out. Think about it like purebred dogs- there's plenty of breeds, but to each breed, there are the "pure" of them- those that follow the guidelines/genetics to be considered a purebred. Thus, there are zerker pures- 45 def, dscim/dds pures- 60 att, 1 def, everything that requires a set of stats that you don't increase! (get the idea?)

But seriously, what's in a name anyways? Just PK and call yourself whatever you want!

Call Allah- Range Pure In Progress

67/70/82 Range || 26 Prayer || 65/70/82 Magic || 30/55 Slayer

Gym Rat- 89 Combat

71 Attack || 87 Strength || 83/94 Range || 94 Magic || 52 Prayer || 62 Slayer

Fire Cape, B Gloves, Torso, Rune Defender, Slayer Helm

#4 Paradite

Paradite

What ever you say

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

A pure to me is a player with higher hitpoints than their combat and have one specific stat they focus on more than others with relatively low defence. In todays runescape the term pure might as well be another word for pker.

View PostK0ed U Ofc, on 08 February 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

From MY experience: Pures from classic had no magic- range could be leveled without it effecting combat IIRC.

Pures in classic had range because it did not directly effect your combat if you were melee based. You did not gain hitpoints exp for range hits so as long as you remained melee based your range level did not matter, in fact range was a huge advantage for classic pures. Magic did in fact effect combat directly which is why pures did not raise their magic levels.

Edited by Paradite, 08 February 2011 - 12:30 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Skep

Skep

• RS Name:Skep

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

You're trying to invent a bycicle when it's already there.
SKEP baby tank in progress

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 A Muted Pure

A Muted Pure

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

Tl;dr but yes I will be the godfather to your child.
Posted Image80 Posted Image99 Posted Image40  Posted Image99 Posted Image99  Posted Image52 Posted Image92

Posted ImagePosted Image  Posted ImagePosted Image  Posted ImagePosted Image  Posted ImagePosted Image  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 G ravit Y

G ravit Y

Pvp > Bh

• RS Name:O_o Gravity

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

The meaning has changed overtime.

Im stil, a strong believer that rune and under can be considered pure.

once you hit 70+ defence, you have such a wide variety of equipment to use, your a main.

I think of it, as lacking in one skill, to be better in some others.

So basically, giving up barrows armor, to have 99 strength at a lower level.
Posted Image

#8 Profound

Profound
  • RS Name:Facetious

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

I started in 2004, always have known "Pure" to have a suffix, i.e. Pure Str = 60 att 99 str; Pure Def 20,20,40 etc

#9 Iamnotleet

Iamnotleet

• RS Status:Free

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

lol I thought the whole point of pile jumping back then was to kill them when they were low health right after they made a kill... not BECAUSE they were looting because they could've already eaten

edit: btw I don't think the MEANING of pure was originally 1 magic
somebody probably just decided to focus on 1 or 2 stats and called his character "pure str", like profound mentioned
I've been playing since 2002 as well, and I really don't see the point in questioning this kinda stuff lol

and the people who say pure has always been 1 def are wrong, but kinda right. if you had any defence back then you were almost definitely gonna lose to a guy with 1 def and more str

Edited by Iamnotleet, 08 February 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#10 Amigop

Amigop

Gingers Do Have Souls

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

Pure= Person Under Runescape's Effect.
Posted Image

#11 Shrimz

Shrimz

• RS Name:Shrimzy

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

HP>Combat