The Grand Exchange

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Colin.

Colin.

Colin

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

With the new update of the possibility of the wilderness and free trade coming back, the Grand Exchange's maximum and minimum prices will be removed. This will give players the freedom to set their own price for the items they wish to sell and what not. We've all came to love the Grand Exchange because of things like flip merching, buying supplies is quick and easy, and it's mid prices never fluctuate (much). Personally, I voted for the free trade and wilderness but I will miss the way the Grand Exchange is now. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how things are suited. I hope it works very similar to how it is now in that you can get items easily.

So my questions are:

Do you think players will take advantage of the free trade and prices will skyrocket on certain items ie. godswords, bandos, armadyl, barrows?
Without the Grand Exchanges set regulations, do you think it will be as hard to obtain certain supplies ie. sharks, brews, pots, herb, secondaries?
Do you like the way the Grand Exchange is now? or would you like set prices for certain items after the update?

Do you think players will take advantage of the free trade and prices will skyrocket on certain items ie. godswords, bandos, armadyl, barrows?

I think they will yes, I remember during free trade in world 2, whips would go anywhere from 3m- 4m in a day. It would just depend on who would sell their item the lowest.

Without the Grand Exchanges set regulations on prices, do you think it will be as hard to obtain certain supplies ie. sharks, brews, pots, herb, secondaries? Yes, it will be hella annoying if people set their own prices to these essentials in the game.

Do you like the way the Grand Exchange is now? or would you like set prices for certain items after the update? Personally, I like the GE it was a good was to get over the fact free trade was gone, it was so much easier to obtain items and what not. I'm not sure if I would like to see set prices after the update however on the flips side prices on certain items might go up quite a bit.

Lock/Delete if topic like this has been made.

Edited by Colin., 24 December 2010 - 11:12 AM.
Coded questions removed

[x]Illusion | [x]Legacy
[-RuneScape Dinasty Supreme Member-]

#2 MasterDebater

MasterDebater

Learn from mistakes

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

Still having the GE means that you might not have to stand around selling/buying one lot of items at a time. However, I think prices will stabilise on the whole and be less likely to fluctuate as much as they did with the GE and it's set price range. Merching clans and CCs won't have as a big an influence on price change as they once did. Rares however might be a little dodgy, but I can actually see a lot of positives from these proposed changes.

All these updates are improving Runescape in general. We will all agree that it was a better game in 2007 by a long shot. Yes, we've had some okay updates since, but nothing compares to the old wildy and free trade days!!!

Roll on 2011!!!!

Outnumbered but never outpunned

Posted Image

#3 Debenkey

Debenkey

Josh Hogg

• RS Name:Debenkey
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

Some people will definitely sell and buy items using their own set prices, and ignoring the Grand Exchange prices. However, the majority of the players will most likely still use the Grand Exchange prices when selling and buying items in order to make profits and stay true to the price. Of course there will be certain players who will be selling sharks for below the market price, and in some cases higher, but it is still very easy to obtain these obtains using the Grand Exchange. In most player's eyes, it is worth over paying a little more and getting the item easier than paying less and having a more difficult time obtaining the item.

In short, the majority of the players will most likely stick to Grand Exchange prices as it is easier to obtain items through the market price.

#4 SelenaGomez-

SelenaGomez-

#Selena

• RS Name:Selena Gomez
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Yes.

Without the Grand Exchanges set regulations, do you think it will be as hard to obtain certain supplies ie. sharks, brews, pots, herb, secondaries?
Maybe, it all depends on how Jagex decide to go with this update.

Do you like the way the Grand Exchange is now? or would you like set prices for certain items after the update?
It's pretty decent I'd say.

Posted Image

#5 Vidkae

Vidkae

• RS Name:Vidkae
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

If they make it like an auction house, on how you can set specific prices, it would probably be more in my favor as I prefer that style. It don't exactly like how it is because the set price can be easily exploited and that's the only amount you can get it for.

#6 Kellyy

Kellyy

Previous name: Kelly Girl33

• RS Name:Kellyy

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Players will always try to take advantage of what they can, when they can. It's this way in the real world, too. However, I believe JaGEx will do something to eventually give some order so chaos does not occur, as if you think about it, when chaos does occur, they lose money (players). Instead of things being flip merchanted, merchantmen can buy mass  supplies of items & regulate them to their own desired prices. This can be good or bad. Through the Grand Exchange, prices have fluxed slowly up & down, as back in April-ish 2010 Saradomin Godswords were in the 70M's & now they're barely 50M. With this, RuneScape's currency can have meaning again. Before, it started to drop & become difficult.

It may become difficult at first, yes. However, I believe things that would be used in PvP will remain at higher price, as they're will be a high demand of them all the time.

JaGEx was able to keep Sharks, Rocktails, Saradomin Brews, etc at a maintainable price due to their own regulations. Now that we will be the ones sort of "running the joint," so to say, we can keep things at a fair rate.

Yes & no. I like it because I can easily get items I would want for a quest, or if I'm low on Brews, but still have enough to go to another round at Saradomin GWD, I could put

in a buy for a certain amount & still continue at GWD until they come in. It's nice to have the ability to get anything tradeable & see the prices via GE if you're there. However, on the other hand, after the update there will be some skyrocketing & some falling to the floor of certain items, but it may become easier. For example... Say I desire to do the quest "Within the Light". Here are the item requirements for the quest:

- Log (any type)
- Knife
- coins
- Lantern lens
- Snapdragon seed (can be obtained during quest)
- Seed dibber
- Charcoal
- Papyrus
- Bronze med helm
- Iron chainbody
- Unpowered orb
- etc
- etc

Now, let us be honest... Are we really likely to go & get most of these things areselves? (for example, the Charcoal, papyrus, unpowered orb, lantern lens, etc). No. It takes too much time to do. With the update & having the ability to make our own prices, we can simply put in an offer for Charcoal for 10K instead of the price it is now. It makes it easier to do, just like when we buy Law runes from other players for 5K instead of the set price now.

Yes & no... Yes because of course we all want our items to be higher priced. However, I think it may be difficult to do that when people lend out Godswords, armor pieces, etc. all the time. The price of lending them will most likely increase a lot if the prices do, too. Although, I'm not certain, just my humble guess\opinion.

Note: all of this is my hypothesis\guess\opinion.

Happy holidays, seasonal greetings, & blessed be from,
Kelly

Posted Image

[My Goals & Achievements Thread] - [Ex-Zybez Maintenance Crew] - [Ex-Zybez DJ]

~~ Join Zybez's in-game friends chat: "Zchat" ~~

Posted Image

#7 Dys Sheep

Dys Sheep

Mahjarrat never die; they're just missing in action.

• RS Name:Dys Sheep

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

I believe consumable prices will stabilize more with G.E. and free trade.  I believe this because right now they dip and rise because of the G.E. system but without it saying what is minimum or max people will just buy for around the median or normal price.
Posted Image

#8 killdacat

killdacat

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:30 AM

I don't think it'll skyrocket, it'll just vary from person to person.

No, I don't see supplies like that be hard to find at all. I think GE is going to be the supply store actually, and will leave the bigger items for the merchants.

I like it, but I would also like to set prices on certain items because some are a huge rip-off.

#9 Setanta

Setanta

Pedro lacks political experience.

• RS Name:Suil Eile
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Clan?

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

You're forgetting that we had the Grand Exchange before the limits were introduced. The Grand Exchange's price caps are need for it to function. The idea behind free trade is that we can do so using conventional trade. For the Exchange to function without the minimum and maximum item caps on it would be massively difficult it not impossible.

[Retired Events Team Member]
Posted Image
[Retired General Discussion CL]

#10 daniel987600

daniel987600

• RS Name:skeleton 5

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

Honestly, as I was voting for the old version of runescape to be made again (old wildy and trade rules),
I looked at the changes and the only one I didn't like was this one: the one where prices would be fluid
at the Grand Exchange.

The way I see it: the Grand Exchange revolutionized Runescape by revolutionizing how the trading process takes
place: instead of searching for the right guy on world 1 or 2 (member or nonmember), you could just type in
what you wanted to buy or sell, and get most items instantaneously.  It was a way to connect buyers and sellers
without the hassle.

However, the second great thing about the Grand Exchange was its ability to level the cost playing field.  No longer
would prices be able to hugely fluctuate within a day (1 million range for obby whips anyone?), and it became a lot
harder for people to scam new members (although I do admit that I did sell rune scimitars for 100k a few times) by charging
outrageous prices.  

That being said, as a returning Runescape player (I was only recently lured back because of the petition), I find only
two ways to determine how prices have changed since I've been gone: Zybez's item valuer and the Grand Exchange prices
(both of which use Runescape's Grand Exchange values).  Without the GE, how would I have known that cowhides are now
in the ballpark of 200gp (Unless I got scammed a few times first)?

That all being said, I am for the general change of Runescape: bring back the old wildy and trade rules (PLEASE!!!).
However, I still think that GE values should be set as usual, preventing any fluidity (which leads to scamming).  What
this will also make sure is that, if you want to pay a higher price (ie for sharks at edgeville), you still can (because
of the free trade), but that price will be controlled by higher demand at that instant (which the GE can't accommodate).

Because all of this, I think that, if GE prices because fluid, trading volume will go down, because there will (all of a sudden)
be a huge difference in buyer value and seller value, which will ultimately bring the focus back to player trading (one on one
instead of using the GE).  If this update goes through, I think that JaGeX should at least put an indicator price on every good,
so that buyers and sellers in the market know where to start their prices.

#11 Tate

Tate

• RS Name:T4TE
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

I think many players will just leave things like sharks in ge for 2k or so each in the hopes that desperate pkers will eventually shell out the money which means that you would easily be able to get all items as long as you are willing to pay but it will be harder to get them cheaper.

Posted Image

#12 Ganoobed

Ganoobed

Oh Hell

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:54 AM

Honestly, I really don't want to head to world 2 falador, and have to switch worlds and find a crowded bank everytime I need to buy food, arrows etc.

I'm hoping that players will still use the GE like it's used today, to trade consumables on a stable price. Other items can go to W2 Fally =D
XBL GT = iSank

Hit me up on MW2 =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: