Am I The Only One Left Who Believes This...?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 Tomz2020

Tomz2020

• RS Name:X Reklaw X
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Ohhhh, RSC, I wish I could still play the old RS.

I loved the fact that skills were tough to level - not so darn easy like they are now. I see so many 99's in skills nowadays, it makes my head spin! That's what made it a challenge!
Player Killing was great fun, too! The wilderness has essentially been ruined, IMO.
I just started playing again, after about a 4 year break, just after RS2 came out. There are some good features added, the new skills are so-so, but one thing that I could NOT believe they did, was impose this trade limit!
What the hell?! I feel like I'm being told not to spend it all in one place, or something, by my parents! Could not believe that they did this to the trading system.
Also noticed that there's no such thing as drop parties anymore - the Party Room is a complete joke.

Yes, I know some things have been changed to stop Macro's and cheaters... nothing will be the same though. RS2 just doesn't kick as much arse as RSC did. I loved that game.

#42 kingslayer19

kingslayer19

Unbent Neck

• RS Name:Unbent Neck
  • Clan:None

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:19 AM

I started in 2001.  I was there for Holiday drops and I've played both rsc and rs2 extensively.  I have to say... rsc was a lot more fun.  Rs2 is more interesting (due to lots of content), but it's all busy work without any real depth to it.  I wish rs2 never came out tbh, rsc was just a lot more fun and it didn't consume as much time.  Of course I wouldn't mind some updates to rsc (bank notes and such), but I'd take a revived rsc over rs2 any day.
--- Need Signature ---

#43 Rulthulu

Rulthulu

• RS Name:Volvens

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostBlink182Man9, on 02 November 2010 - 06:16 PM, said:

classic was a more mature environment where graphics and bosses were not placed as the highest aspect of the game.

Exactly.  It's a known fact that Classic had a lot more adult players.  On RS2, anyone over the age of 20 gets flamed to hell and told to get a life.  Isn't the average age on RS2 13?  No wonder why the adults left isolate themselves!

*Psssttt.... the average RS age is actually 17).

I started after classic - around 06 - and even then, the community wasn't half as bad. While i was one of the first people to check out classic on one of the 'open days' (i guess) I never full understood why people like it so much. Sure, the graphics are crap - thats what makes it so fun. But i still fail to see why it was so fun for people. And yeah, go on, say "ohh, you'll never understand because you weren't playing it 10 years ago" and i'm sure the community was much better. But when i play RS2, i don't check the forums and i'm always playing with public off, so that doesn't really bother me

Oh - inb4flame

~Rulth

Posted Image

#44 Syrsly

Syrsly

Aspiring Programmer and Artist

• RS Name:Watching You
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

I think the best thing about RSC was it was entirely free. Sure, they changed that, but it was once the best free game on the internet.

I made a pretty fun video game montage with music:
Video Games I Enjoyed in 2011.

Guild Wars 2 username: Surro.6952

Current goals: 9000 AP for Radiant Helm, ascended gear for mesmer.

#45 Da Dragon

Da Dragon

2001 RSC Veteran

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

View Postkingslayer19, on 08 November 2010 - 09:19 AM, said:

but it's all busy work without any real depth to it.

Damn, dude.  You just summarized 9 years of Jagex work (RS2) in a few simple words.  Very nice.

Now that I maxed out my summoning, I'm starting to lose interest in RS2 and all these points are making me realize how pathetic the game is now.  Sigh.  I even said earlier in this thread that this game won't last long for me.  I was right, again.

#46 Syrsly

Syrsly

Aspiring Programmer and Artist

• RS Name:Watching You

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

View PostDa Dragon, on 23 November 2010 - 10:02 PM, said:

Now that I maxed out my summoning, I'm starting to lose interest in RS2 and all these points are making me realize how pathetic the game is now.  Sigh.  I even said earlier in this thread that this game won't last long for me.  I was right, again.
It has always been that way. We come to RS for the skill points, not much else. It's weird, really, but it works. We're amused when we "level up" and we go brag to our friends that our number 68 became a number 79 in just a few days. :wub: I could more easily just edit a screenshot or use a private server, and the experience would actually be more meaningful.

I made a pretty fun video game montage with music:
Video Games I Enjoyed in 2011.

Guild Wars 2 username: Surro.6952

Current goals: 9000 AP for Radiant Helm, ascended gear for mesmer.

#47 c adae

c adae

I lost the game!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

I started in 2005, so I wasn't a classic player.  However, I can understand fully what you're saying.  I remember Runescape feeling like that amongst my friends when we started playing.  I remember trading full iron to someone else for 8 coins and a rope because I thought it was a good trade (my friend had a higher smithing level than me, so he made me a set for free).  I remember trying to train mining and smithing really high to 1-up him.  I would mine the ore in Varrock (or Falador), run to the Lumbridge (Falador) furnace, smelt it, then run back to Varrock (or on to Doric's anvils), then run to the relevant store and sell the items I made.  I remember feeling smart when I realized it was probably better to bank my ores after mining them.  I remember doing this until I got enough cash for a rune chainbody.  I also remember trading 3k rune essence with a friend of mine for 1k coal, which took me a while to mine (I wasn't able to get on for long periods of time back then).  My experiences probably correlate to what you've mentioned about RSC.

Of course, a new RSC player can't experience any of that anymore.  Not enough people play.  Why would you want to play for hours to get high stats in that game when there's nobody to brag about it to anymore?  If you want to experience single-player Runescape, you could just be a DIYer.  RSC is probably dead.  It has nothing in it for new players, and the old players only stay because of nostalgia.  The magic of playing that you talked about just won't be there for new RSC players.  They won't be able to share the memories you and the other ex-RSC players have.
Posted Image

#48 Hacks

Hacks

• RS Name:L A R G E

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

I've always thought it was the latter. Then again, I realize my opinion doesn't matter, because the game's dead anyway. Has been since the shutting down of free player access in 2005.
<Insert generic and colourful stat-bar here>

#49 drop parti

drop parti

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

I read up until

"Am I the only person left who still thinks that Classic is WAY better than RS(2)?"

and didnt have to read anymore.

I started playing a little before the mask drop, so im at the decade mark too (?)

I still believe that rsc was 9001X better than rs2.

The ONLY reason i play is for the pvp. Rsc pvp WAS THE BOMB, rs2 wildy pking was good, but not as good as rsc. And because i've only played for pvp, i have noticed (and im SURE everyone knows this), runescape pvp is progressively getting worse.
P.S. If anyone knows of any other games that has good pvp ( people lose their stuff and you get it) PLEASE tell me.

Edited by drop parti, 05 December 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#50 Reece^

Reece^

What is going down.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:50 AM

I think that classic is better, it just has so many memories and RS2 has hardly any. I think the only memories I have on RS2 are GWD drops and my first whip PK, but when it comes to classic I remember killing guards outside Varrock sword shop just to get an addy long, i remember trading my bank for a r2h but the guy taking it away and me getting scammed, I told my friend Slazaar or something and he gave me full rune + a r2h, fishing for a week just to do heroes quest and getting given a rune full helm and the local library when a guy playing next to me saw I was poor.

The generosity and honesty players had back then was so much greater and vast then todays community.

I miss the gameplay, if only more people played :(

#51 Nebbo 67

Nebbo 67

Im A KO Monster - CoR P2P Warlord

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Got me a scythe :)

I agree classic was awesome and kept me busy but I also found the same with the transition to RS2 back in the early days, there was so much more content to explore etc. I honestly preffered the new PvP mechanics of RS2 and thats why I stuck with it (99% of the time im online im PKing). Only in the last few years have I not had much motivation to log on and thats mostly due to like you said the games been dumbed down a lot and the pk community has degraded into a filthy mass of 12 year olds flaming and crying over pixles.
For me the game started going downhill when the wilderness died, for me thats when jagex started to prioritise gfx and profits over gamplay and depth (HD mode, fullscreen, making the game more accsessable and easy for whiney immature children, removing trade limits, stupid pointless updates etc, massivly overpowerered weapons (godswords were the limit, everything else destroyed pvp). But hey if they can get 300,000 12 year olds to 'ooh' and 'aah' at their shiney graphics, super powered weapons and increasingly easy gameplay what motivation do they have to put some real effort into their content?

I do still like classic but Ive gotten so used to the combat mechanics of RS2 that whenever I do log onto classic I just feel too restricted in what I can do if you get what I mean. Also since I xfered my bank to RS2 when it opened I dont really have anything apart from an addy set on there, and I just dont have the time to train up/build up a bank on there anymore.

I guess what Im saying is RSC was/is awesome but Ive just played RS2 too much to be able to go back, and RS2 is getting to the point where PKing is more frustrating that is worth it (Noone goes deeper than edge cos their scared to loose their items and everyone in edge is a teleporting flaming kid) so I rarely log on at all apart from clan fights now :(

Edited by Nebbo 67, 06 December 2010 - 06:58 PM.

CoR since 10.05.05 Posted Image CoR since 10.05.05
Click for my PK videos (1-5 OLD WILDY): [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

#52 Romal

Romal

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostDa Dragon, on 27 October 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

Difficult to train?  That's what made it so special.  RSC was EXTREMELY difficult and tedious compared to RS.  Therefore, levels were actually something to be proud of - instead of god damn skill capes to wear and say DERP DERP about all day.  Skilling actually made real money because raw material was desired for reasons outside of CAPES.  Level 99 actually MEANT something back then and was something to be proud of.  Now, even "difficult" skills can be maxed out in a matter of half-arse effort while afking and having the x-system do everything for you.

Because people LOVE to play games that are TEDIOUS and BORING (and don't get me started on the TERRIBLE 2D graphics). Great logic there! Skills were not "difficult" to train, they were just stupid. Who cares if other people have 99's. Atleast the game is a lot more fun to play as a result. I played classic in '03 for a few weeks and I thought it was one of the worst games I had ever played. In 04 when rs2 was getting big I started playing again and fell in love. Of course rs2 sucks now with the crappy pking and trade limits, but there's no way you can say rsc was more fun than rs2 at any point.
I'm back.

#53 9uthixpure

9uthixpure

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

View Postc adae, on 25 November 2010 - 09:37 AM, said:

I started in 2005, so I wasn't a classic player.  However, I can understand fully what you're saying.  I remember Runescape feeling like that amongst my friends when we started playing.  I remember trading full iron to someone else for 8 coins and a rope because I thought it was a good trade (my friend had a higher smithing level than me, so he made me a set for free).  I remember trying to train mining and smithing really high to 1-up him.  I would mine the ore in Varrock (or Falador), run to the Lumbridge (Falador) furnace, smelt it, then run back to Varrock (or on to Doric's anvils), then run to the relevant store and sell the items I made.  I remember feeling smart when I realized it was probably better to bank my ores after mining them.  I remember doing this until I got enough cash for a rune chainbody.  I also remember trading 3k rune essence with a friend of mine for 1k coal, which took me a while to mine (I wasn't able to get on for long periods of time back then).  My experiences probably correlate to what you've mentioned about RSC.

Of course, a new RSC player can't experience any of that anymore.  Not enough people play.  Why would you want to play for hours to get high stats in that game when there's nobody to brag about it to anymore?  If you want to experience single-player Runescape, you could just be a DIYer.  RSC is probably dead.  It has nothing in it for new players, and the old players only stay because of nostalgia.  The magic of playing that you talked about just won't be there for new RSC players.  They won't be able to share the memories you and the other ex-RSC players have.

I'm at around the same situation. This completely summed up how I feel. I started at around '05 as well, and find that really what made it so fun was playing with friends and having the patience to train and quest at a younger age. Now that I'm older, I find RS2 to be very boring and just can't find the patience to play... Just a simple case of nostalgia.

#54 Asian Jewel

Asian Jewel

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

View PostDa Dragon, on 27 October 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

As you can see from my customized member title, my account has been around since almost the beginning of RuneScape.  Sometime early next year, I'm hitting the decade mark.  I'm sure some people know this already but I've always viewed RuneScape Classic as the better of both games (probably always will) - sadly, it's becoming more and more uncommon to find people who share the same thoughts.

Am I the only person left who still thinks that Classic is WAY better than RS(2)?

I understand that comparing the current game to Classic is like putting a NES and Xbox 360 next to each other.  I understand that Classic had terrible graphics, needed work, and had far less content.  I understand it's less appealing to people who didn't start with it first.  Yet, somehow, it always had a strange charm to it that only certain players experienced during, what I call, the golden age of RuneScape (2001-2004).  When things were fresh and pure, when iron was something to be proud of, and when everything was more balanced and enjoyable - such as PVP and the economy.

The thing that completely throws me off track is finding players that I knew from Classic who say to me that they think the new game is finally better.  I understand the "getting over things & moving on" garbage and all those philosophical lines - I don't need to be reminded.  I just don't really get it anymore.

I think too much for my own good sometimes (if you can't tell already).  I even recently got over my stubbornness and decided to actually PLAY the current version of RuneScape...

... it's decent but EVERYTHING I do in the game... well... my racing mind just compares it Classic all the time and I just find myself disappointed in what I'm seeing.  Classic kept me busy for a VERY long time - I can tell that RS(2) won't even do a small percent of that.  I expect to give up on it soon.  It's too easy and less balanced.  Not to mention, the community has taken a vicious turn for the worse.

Where's my bunny ear and scythe account brothers and sisters?  Where's the support I used to see years ago for the actual fun days of online gaming?

Oh well.  I expect many negative responses to this thread but do as you wish with judging me.  Feel free to discuss if you'd like - I'd prefer that. :mellow:

P.S. for the upcoming trolls:

I haven't been PLAYING for 10 years.  I go in phases.

Hello,

I respect your belief about RS1 is better than RSC2. However to my opinion RS2 is way better than RS1.

I play Runescape just after they drop the Sythe and I wish i played before that. I remember when a freind of mine ask help in buying 200 empty vials and it took me 2 hours to trade to him. So for me that is a waste of time and not fun anymore.

Also I remember in RS1 the sack that you have to put in your back pack or something where you stop and use it for your sleep so you can either run or walk I cant remember vividly LOL...The most fun I remember was that anyone can challenge you for a fight anywhere in Runescape. A freind of mine challenge me one time and I was just lvl 35 i think lol!! and I kick his butt he end up of getting mad at me but we move on after that, Players were yelling wooot asian gooo gooo goooo. ROFL!!

Now I tried to go to RS1 to play and I cannot move nor do anything and that really bores me to death :))) I am very happy to say I made a good choice to move right away from RS1 to RS2. I really enjoyed playing RUNESCAPE and I meet lots of great people, freinds. Some freinds pass away make me sad but thats life.

I will end my post here and good luck to you my freind. Happy RuneScaping to all and Happy Holidays!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

ASIAN JEWEL
KCR LEADER & PRIDE

#55 Wizu

Wizu

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

I've played both, and i prefered old runescape2 to rs classic, but due to recent updates i think the tables are turning :)

#56 diem

diem

A grandiose parade!

• RS Name:Aeya

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

There are plenty of reasons to like either game.

Runescape 2 has more open advantages and all these updates make the game 'easier'.

But the game wasn't hard in the first place.

Runescape Classic, it was hard to do things. You had to do it all yourself. That's not a bad thing. However, in the modern Runescape people rely on the Grand Exchange to get what they need. For example, you get a clue that needs a Glory ammy, addy platelegs and a rune full helm. If this was Runescape Classic, you'd make that all.

But now, you aren't expected to do that. If an item doesn't sell immediately on the Grand exchange, you just log out and come back later. You don't actually take the effort to raise up your levels for the ability to make those items.

This is also coming from a 2001 veteran.
RSC has a feel to it.
But in an all, its just a game.

Posted Image

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X]
[X] [X]

#57 free lewtz

free lewtz

• RS Name:Free lewtz

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

I saw this thread and i pretty much had an orgasm. Usually i lurk around the achievements section but for some reason i decided to check out the classic section and when i saw this thread i had to make an account just to comment. Im in the same boat as alot of people here, i started playing in the early days of rs2 and still remember when i thought steel armour was the best thing since sliced bread. I remember back in my days of being a noob when the economy was solid and it was still runescape (not world of runecraft). I never really played classic but it sounds like the game would have been beyond amazing if i had played it when the community was still alive. Alotta people might say I have weird tastes but honestly, I enjoy crappy graphics alot. They bring about a certain colorfullness and freshness. I remember when jagex actually UPDATED the game instead of modifying it. I hate the idea of having to quest and skill so much just to be on par with other players. and money is pretty much worthless too >.<

Edited by free lewtz, 16 December 2010 - 01:48 AM.

#58 Warez

Warez

• RS Name:Warez

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

I started in classic as well, and while the old graphics had a rustic charm to them, rs2 as of today is much better in terms of almost every aspect.

When I compare the two I mainly think of agility, noted items, bank space, and ease of access as a whole.

Warez
(lvl 138)

(2002 - 2011)
~I Am That Is, My Sword Shall Wield For Me~
Posted Image

#59 Naslund

Naslund

• RS Name:Naslund2447

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:14 AM

I agree with you 100%. All my really good friends I have are from RSC; it just had a much better community imo. RS2 doesn't really hold my interest, I end up playing for about a month and then not logging on for a year or so. I bought members again the other day and logged on to classic and was sad to see only about 15 people online, none at the mage wall and only about 3 in draynor.  :whistle:
RSC - Naslund2447

#60 Coffee mon

Coffee mon

Leik omg!

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

I started playing RSC in 2001, but i quit after 3 weeks and got back into gaming right after the morph to rs2? Does that make me a RSC VETERAN. Your argument is invalid, you can't compare rsc and rs2 anymore. They have evolved into 2 different games. You can't go back in time, nor you can't travel to the future. RSC was fun, actual gameplay as Rs2 is just full of trolls and 12-year old shouting how big their e-penis is.

Everyone has an own taste of gaming. I prefer rs2 much more instead of rsc. I think EVERYONE does. Rsc was something, now it's nothing.  :whistle:
Hi :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: