Jump to content


Music Genres And Generalization.


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Lat.

Lat.

    Have Heart.

  • Posts:2,101
  • Joined:30-April 08
  • RS Name:X0n
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

I've been seeing this a lot lately, and figured I would see if anyone else felt the same.

People seem to look past the music, and generalize songs based off of their genre/sub-genre.
It seems as if people gain hatred towards a certain style of music of music, just because it's classified as a genre that was particularly different from 20 years ago.

MUSIC IS MUSIC. MUSIC CHANGES. I would hate to see a lack of style and individuality in a band just because it's held back/classified as a certain genre.
Appreciate music for what it is, not what it is classified under.

Does anybody have comments/experiences that could add onto this?

Posted Image

Ex-Zybez DJ and Ex-Zybez20 Member.

Any Questions? PM me.


#2 ver del

ver del

    Are Things Working Well For You?

  • Posts:411
  • Joined:23-July 05
  • RS Name:La Disputed
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

This is slightly off topic, but I can't stand when people bash a band because of screaming in it, without ever really listening to it, and then labeling it as just another crappy "screamo" band.

Screamo ≠ music with screaming.

Please consult this informative video. (Warning: There are curse words)



FYI, I did not make this video. He does bash some bands that I like, but I appreciate the overall message of the video, nonetheless.

Edited by Ver Del, 19 October 2010 - 10:51 PM.

Posted Image


#3 Scott

Scott

    kill the switch

  • Posts:8,754
  • Joined:21-September 06
  • RS Name:Surette
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

Amen to what Ver Del said.  Screamo ≠ crapty scene kid music (although I admit I do like a number of bands that some would classify as crapty scene kid music).

I also hate when pop punk is given a bad name.  There's a difference between good pop punk and bad pop punk.  Good pop punk = blink-182, Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals, New Found Glory.  Bad pop punk = The Maine, Forever the Sickest Kids, etc.

But all in all, you're absolutely right.  Life would be so much better without labels, but it's human nature to categorize things so that we can understand them more easily and more quickly.

Posted Image

Posted Image


#4 ver del

ver del

    Are Things Working Well For You?

  • Posts:411
  • Joined:23-July 05
  • RS Name:La Disputed
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

View PostScott, on 19 October 2010 - 11:10 PM, said:

Life would be so much better without labels, but it's human nature to categorize things so that we can understand them more easily and more quickly.
/thread

Posted Image


#5 SnaptiK

SnaptiK

    you won't ever fly fast enough to make time stand still.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

It it sounds good, I'll listen to it  ^_^

Posted Image


#6 Random_Nickname

Random_Nickname

    Member

  • Posts:218
  • Joined:13-August 07
  • RS Name:Balu217
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

While bands should not be limited by genres, I'm happy they exist, they make finding music I might like easier and help filter crappy music I'd almost surely hate.

#7 Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski

    Member of the Midnight Crew

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

View PostSnaptik™, on 20 October 2010 - 03:41 AM, said:

It it sounds good, I'll listen to it  :-P
This.
I've learned not to generalise any band until I've listened to it, despite what genre it fits in to. For example, I hate most metal, but that doesn't mean I disregard the genre on a whole as I enjoy listening to slayer and metallica. So yeah, I don't think there's such thing as a bad genre unless I've heard every single song from it... which would probably be impossible :XD:

Posted Image

Retired Global Moderator | Retired Achievements Co-Leader | Retired Aotm Leader


#8 GT500

GT500

    Scapin' since '01

  • Posts:118
  • Joined:23-August 10
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Looking

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

The whole idea of sub-genres in music pisses me off. In my iTunes, you won't see "Melodic Death Metal" or "Extreme Metal" or "Black Metal" or anything "____ Metal" or anything "___core." I simply have it as "Metal" because that's what it is.

I listen to all types of music, so as Snaptik said, if it's good then I'll listen to it.

GamerTag: GT5ooSuperSnake
| 132 P2P Combat | 124 F2P Combat | 2100+ Total Level | Currently Training: WC [97/99] |

Posted Image


#9 dan staat

dan staat

    Do ya feel lucky?

  • Posts:2,525
  • Joined:08-August 09
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

I hate when people ask "What kind of music do you listen to?" Because for me, there is no real answer.  Some days I feel like popping in my Queen CD's, but the day after that I might want to listen to Bury Tomorrow.  I listen to whatever fits my mood.  Music cannot be described by any certain genre, because even the baseline for that genre will differ from song to song.

Listen to whatever you want.  Call it whatever you want.  Hell, I'll start calling my music Cowbell Metal, everything I listen to.


Enjoy your music, regardless of what you listen to.  And leave other people alone about what they listen to, and everyone can be happy.
Better now?

#10 Rawra

Rawra

    Member

  • Posts:1,810
  • Joined:20-December 06
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

If a song is just filled with a hairy guy screaming then I'll give it a miss, even if it's the best in it's genre, just doesn't do it for me.

But as for other genres I'm pretty open to listen to, as long as it's tasteful  :XD:

#11 metfan

metfan

    kenpachifriedchicken

  • Posts:1,327
  • Joined:03-March 07
  • RS Name:Metfan Pk
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:None

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

View PostBoston.Celtics, on 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

The whole idea of sub-genres in music pisses me off. In my iTunes, you won't see "Melodic Death Metal" or "Extreme Metal" or "Black Metal" or anything "____ Metal" or anything "___core." I simply have it as "Metal" because that's what it is.

I listen to all types of music, so as Snaptik said, if it's good then I'll listen to it.

Well you don't really seem to be a metalhead. Anywho, back OT:

I find labels to be a necessary evil with music. If you like something and you know the genre its in, you can look for more things like it and find more things you enjoy. On my iPod, I have pretty much every sub-genre of metal that I enjoy and my library increases because I look for things that are similar to what I already have or what I've heard. You won't get very far on things like Last.fm and Pandora without labels on your music. Its also rather awkward when someone asks "What kind of music do you listen to?" and you name off every band in your library. Its easier (at least for me as a musician) to say the genres and I can easily strike up a conversation with someone about the genres and talk about bands that fall into them.
I actually have a friend who shares a similar view to whats been stated "If it sounds good I'll listen". Hes rather hypocritical because he says that, yet when I recommend him a band, he automatically assumes they suck because I always label things. Labels do turn a lot of people off because they are ignorant of the genre and have only listened to one or two bands. Once you listen to a bunch of stuff from the genre then you can start judging it. I suppose one could say ignorance is bliss, but with music it really isn't.

metfan*~*

94/99 slayer
96/99 summoning

95/99 prayer
99/99 hitpoints
99/99 attack
99/99 strength

99/99 mage

99/99 thieving
99/99 firemaking

Pro Noob in the works


#12 dotfire

dotfire
  • Posts:2,463
  • Joined:10-July 06
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

View PostVer Del, on 19 October 2010 - 10:46 PM, said:

This is slightly off topic, but I can't stand when people bash a band because of screaming in it, without ever really listening to it, and then labeling it as just another crappy "screamo" band.

Screamo ≠ music with screaming.

Please consult this informative video. (Warning: There are curse words)



FYI, I did not make this video. He does bash some bands that I like, but I appreciate the overall message of the video, nonetheless.

this x10000000000. metalcore/deathcore/whatever is not screamo.

and as soon as i started that and heard raein i was so happy
<div>

Posted Image
You grabbed my hand
And we fell into it
Like a daydream
Or a fever


my tagssssssss


#13 Lat.

Lat.

    Have Heart.

  • Posts:2,101
  • Joined:30-April 08
  • RS Name:X0n
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

View Postmetfan, on 20 October 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostBoston.Celtics, on 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

The whole idea of sub-genres in music pisses me off. In my iTunes, you won't see "Melodic Death Metal" or "Extreme Metal" or "Black Metal" or anything "____ Metal" or anything "___core." I simply have it as "Metal" because that's what it is.

I listen to all types of music, so as Snaptik said, if it's good then I'll listen to it.

Well you don't really seem to be a metalhead. Anywho, back OT:

I find labels to be a necessary evil with music. If you like something and you know the genre its in, you can look for more things like it and find more things you enjoy. On my iPod, I have pretty much every sub-genre of metal that I enjoy and my library increases because I look for things that are similar to what I already have or what I've heard. You won't get very far on things like Last.fm and Pandora without labels on your music. Its also rather awkward when someone asks "What kind of music do you listen to?" and you name off every band in your library. Its easier (at least for me as a musician) to say the genres and I can easily strike up a conversation with someone about the genres and talk about bands that fall into them.
I actually have a friend who shares a similar view to whats been stated "If it sounds good I'll listen". Hes rather hypocritical because he says that, yet when I recommend him a band, he automatically assumes they suck because I always label things. Labels do turn a lot of people off because they are ignorant of the genre and have only listened to one or two bands. Once you listen to a bunch of stuff from the genre then you can start judging it. I suppose one could say ignorance is bliss, but with music it really isn't.

metfan*~*

I don't mind labeling, but more towards labeling for the wrong reasons.
I can understand when someone gets pissed about post-hardcore bands being considered "screamo", but that isn't a valid enough argument to dislike ALL post-hardcore. Same with any -core music. It seems as if people look down upon -core music due to the fact that it is categorized as "metal" in some circumstances. Yes it can be irritating, but again, it's not something that's worth hating all -core music. Music genres are perfect for finding the music type that is of interest of you, but people seem to look past that and generalize based off of experiences that they can't control. (ie. For example, I dislike most Country music,  but that does not make it right for me to assume that all Country music is bad). Like I said, music is music. People need to appreciate music for what it is, regardless of what genre it may be. Even if the genre/sub-genre isn't toward your interest, one shouldn't just say that they dislike it without giving it a shot. There's always something out there for someone to enjoy. It's fine to judge certain types of music, given a valid argument, but there is a fine line between ignorance (not giving it a shot), and giving reasoning as to why one may dislike it. So I guess you could say that I partially, and I hadn't made myself completely clear.

tl;dr
Regardless of what genre/sub-genre it may be, there's always something fit for you. Don't judge without giving it a listen.

Posted Image

Ex-Zybez DJ and Ex-Zybez20 Member.

Any Questions? PM me.


#14 metfan

metfan

    kenpachifriedchicken

  • Posts:1,327
  • Joined:03-March 07
  • RS Name:Metfan Pk
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:None

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postdotfire, on 20 October 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostVer Del, on 19 October 2010 - 10:46 PM, said:

This is slightly off topic, but I can't stand when people bash a band because of screaming in it, without ever really listening to it, and then labeling it as just another crappy "screamo" band.

Screamo ≠ music with screaming.

Please consult this informative video. (Warning: There are curse words)

[url="]

FYI, I did not make this video. He does bash some bands that I like, but I appreciate the overall message of the video, nonetheless.

this x10000000000. metalcore/deathcore/whatever is not screamo.

and as soon as i started that and heard raein i was so happy

I just watched that and I have to agree, I hate it when people assume death metal, melodeath, and black metal are confused for screamo. I have to explain to every person who I talk to whos completely ignorant on the topic of metal the difference between whiney scene screamo kids and metal.

metfan*~*

94/99 slayer
96/99 summoning

95/99 prayer
99/99 hitpoints
99/99 attack
99/99 strength

99/99 mage

99/99 thieving
99/99 firemaking

Pro Noob in the works


#15 Lil

Lil
  • Posts:7,722
  • Joined:06-November 03
  • RS Name:Lilmikee
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:55 AM

I don't like nuts. That means I don't like peanuts, hazelnuts, chestnuts and any other type of nuts. I don't like them because regardless of the finer differences, they all taste like nuts. If you show me a type of nut I've never seen before, it's still a nut and base off my prior experience with every other nut I can tell you with good reasoning I'm not going to like it.

This is how people dismiss genres. I've found that you're wasting time and making yourself look like an obnoxious tool by insisting someone at least listen to the new extreme black doomcore album you just bought because it's totally different to that melodic post-thrash you played last week. I've been that tool myself. One way or another, metal is metal and nuts are nuts. Giving it a shot first won't change that.

----

Do love people who claim they listen to "everything except rap and country" because you can almost guarantee their iPod will be alt. rock, metalcore and pop punk. I'd like to see someone make that claim and show me a playlist with Wagner, Frank Sinatra and Infected Mushoom.

#16 imk

imk

    Kìyevame

  • Posts:8,380
  • Joined:09-November 08
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

It's just another stunt for people to try and be "apart" of something. People need labels, groups, and things to adapt to. They will outcast anything different. It's just how the world goes really.

Me personally, I'm quite optimistic when it comes to Music. I listen to bands such as Stick to your guns, Pantera, Dragonforce, Behemoth, In Fear and Faith, and who knows. Anyone who knows different types of metal, would know those bands are very different, and all in different categories. I even listen to some techo, hard style, and even some rap.


Humans don't understand music, they understand the media.

#17 Lil

Lil
  • Posts:7,722
  • Joined:06-November 03
  • RS Name:Lilmikee
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

View Postᴹᴬᵀᵀ, on 22 October 2010 - 05:11 AM, said:

Humans don't understand music, they understand the media.

Generalisation at its finest.

#18 ʸᵃʸ

ʸᵃʸ

    konnekting rod

  • Posts:4,096
  • Joined:30-August 08
  • RS Name:Garalon
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

View PostLilmikee, on 22 October 2010 - 04:55 AM, said:

Do love people who claim they listen to "everything except rap and country" because you can almost guarantee their iPod will be alt. rock, metalcore and pop punk. I'd like to see someone make that claim and show me a playlist with Wagner, Frank Sinatra and Infected Mushoom.
uh, mine's got sinatra and infected mushroom amongst other things
am I close enough

#19 GT500

GT500

    Scapin' since '01

  • Posts:118
  • Joined:23-August 10
  • RS Status:Inactive
  • Clan:Looking

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

View Postmetfan, on 20 October 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostBoston.Celtics, on 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

The whole idea of sub-genres in music pisses me off. In my iTunes, you won't see "Melodic Death Metal" or "Extreme Metal" or "Black Metal" or anything "____ Metal" or anything "___core." I simply have it as "Metal" because that's what it is.

I listen to all types of music, so as Snaptik said, if it's good then I'll listen to it.

Well you don't really seem to be a metalhead. Anywho, back OT:

Yeah, ok buddy because you know me right? I've been listening to metal all of my life.

GamerTag: GT5ooSuperSnake
| 132 P2P Combat | 124 F2P Combat | 2100+ Total Level | Currently Training: WC [97/99] |

Posted Image


#20 Find Emotion

Find Emotion

    I know the truth, it won't save you.

  • Posts:3,238
  • Joined:17-September 08
  • RS Name:Findiee
  • RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Zchat

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

I think labels are needed. They help me find music which I'm likely to enjoy listening to, and tends to sway me away from music which I (typically) don't really like. That said, I've never looked at a band and thought 'They're a folk band, they'll suck', and that's why I have music from lots of different genres. Nothing wrong with having a focus, but it's good to branch out a bit too. Most of my music does fall into 'post-hardcore' but lots of the bands fall into different genres too. I also have bands like The Fray, Switchfoot and Needtobreathe, which are quite different to the majority of what I listen to. The point is labels are useful, just don't be held back by them.

Edited by Find., 22 October 2010 - 12:03 PM.



Grow old but never grow up.
Posted Image
Retired from RS. XBL: Sollicus





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana
 
Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt
 
Color: