Zybez RuneScape Community was shut down on September 17th, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-12-04 at 21:04. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Join us on Discord, ZybezNet clan and Zchat friendchat.

We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss

Photo

Open Source Mac Runescape Client

Web Development Programming Runescape problem

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 dTwizy

dTwizy

• Rating: < -5 | 4 | +5 >
  • RS Name:dTwizy
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:zchat

Posted 16 December 2009 - 9:02 AM

Approved by zebediah49

SourceForge Page: https://sourceforge..../runescape4mac/
SourceForge Site: http://runescape4mac.sourceforge.net/
Screenshot: http://img180.images...creenshotch.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

To develop on it, you will need Xcode, which is provided free by Apple (Mac only): http://developer.app...om/tools/xcode/

About a year ago (from date posted) I made my own stand alone RuneScape client for the Mac - one that pretty much mimicked Jagex's client. I kept it to myself up until I gave it to Maxman. This is open source, so if you wish to help out I would appreciate it. Here is a list of things I don't know how to do myself:
  • Add rollover to the stats labels to display experience for each skill
  • Focus back to the RS applet (so you don't need to click it every time you hide/show the stats lookup

If you're wanting to use this, download and drag the RS application to the Applications folder.

The main reason I made it was because RuneScape on the Mac has a few major problems when played in a web browser:
  • Web browsing and 'scaping on the same browser will sometimes crash, not fun when you are somewhere dangerous
  • For some reason when you switch between tabs or windows in your browser, the RuneScape applet will reselect itself pulling you back to the tab or window RuneScape is on, quite annoying

Current "features":
  • Hiscore lookup side window (command E to show/hide)
  • Prevents accidental window closing (accidentally pushing command W - to quit go through the menu or command Q)
  • Lightweight

If you want to change the URL the application redirects to on startup (eg: straight to the game page - it would be against the RS rules for me to do this and distribute it myself -_-), locate the application, right click and select "Show Package Contents", open Contents/Resources/runescape.html in TextEdit or similar then just edit the URL.

The logo isn't that great if somebody wants to redo it, make sure it is a high res png with an alpha channel.

Edited by dTwizy69, 25 March 2010 - 8:42 PM.

#2 Scoobyninja

Scoobyninja

• RS Name:Scoobyninja
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 18 December 2009 - 8:59 PM

Really cool, considering I've been thinking about switching to a mac this a positive point.

Posted Image

#3 Flava

Flava

Let's have a rooster fight without chickens

Posted 19 December 2009 - 5:55 AM

Does it support true full screen?

Retired From >.> | Achievements CL | Radio DJ | Maintenance Crew | AotM Staff
Posted Image
My Goals & Achievements | 99 Woodcutting | 91/99 Strength (Topic)

#4 dTwizy

dTwizy

Posted 19 December 2009 - 8:36 AM

Does it support true full screen?

True full screen as in the one RuneScape goes into? Yeah of course :lol:

#5 Melvinkooi

Melvinkooi

• Rating: < -5 | 0 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Melvinkooi

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

This is useless for me, but maybe useful for a friend of mine. He got a Mac mini.

Quitted with RuneScape since 10 April 2012.

#6 dTwizy

dTwizy

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Ok I renamed some of the files to better suit the project, but I am still looking for someone with objective-C knowledge to clean up the code and add a stat lookup feature if they are willing :$

#7 Norman X1

Norman X1

The King Flab

• RS Name:NX1
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 31 December 2009 - 8:30 AM

thanks. when I go to my grandparents this will be good :)
Spoiler

#8 Judgement

Judgement

Michael Westen <3

Posted 31 December 2009 - 3:09 PM

^^ Has pro grandparents.

I use this now, much more stable than trying to play RS while having 5 other tabs open. Stat/ge lookup would be cool but I have no idea how C works, so have fun. :-P

#9 doorknob60

doorknob60

Linux Nerd

• Rating: < -5 | 2 | +5 >
  • RS Name:doorknob60
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 17 January 2010 - 4:22 AM

Nice, same thing could be acomplished with Chrome or Mozilla Prism, but that can be further developed on into a full featured client. I'll watch the progress on it, even though I don't have a mac. Could inspire a port/separate project for Linux :-P

#10 dTwizy

dTwizy

Posted 17 January 2010 - 9:47 AM

Nice, same thing could be acomplished with Chrome or Mozilla Prism, but that can be further developed on into a full featured client. I'll watch the progress on it, even though I don't have a mac. Could inspire a port/separate project for Linux :-P

That is true, but with Chrome and Prism you don't know much about what is really going on behind the scenes. This is as simple as it gets, and in the end is more stable.

I forgot to mention the other day I removed the maximum window limit, which previously had maximum dimensions of 1440x900 - the size of my screen.

#11 dTwizy

dTwizy

Posted 25 March 2010 - 8:40 PM

I've made some BIG progress on this. I took another look at Objective C the other day, and it's not so bad, so I scrapped the old project and started from scratch - getting rid of unnecessary code and also adding a hiscore lookup side window.

http://img180.images...creenshotch.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

Enjoy, still need help though if anyone knows Objective C :$

#12 Syl3nc3

Syl3nc3

Tanker

• RS Name:cutt3r

Posted 25 March 2010 - 9:29 PM

Awesome. Thank you very much! I've looked for a OS X client for so long with no luck. I have been using Fluid for a site specific application to prevent worse case scenario crashing, but this will be great.

Thanks. :)
Posted Image

#13 Webhostbudd

Webhostbudd

Computing CL

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Webhostbudd

Posted 26 March 2010 - 6:14 PM

I would be willing to chip in and help make a linux port(granted it really wouldn't be a port since it would most likely be rewritten from scratch), but the biggest problem is the library to create the window with. What do people prefer / what would be easiest and make the most sense? GTK or QT?

Edit: Although i did ask for opinions, I'm a gnome user and see a gtk client integrating better with the gnome interface. Unless someone gives me a good reason to use qt, i will most likely make something out of gtk. We will see if I actually follow through on it though.

Edited by Webhostbudd, 26 March 2010 - 10:37 PM.

RS Name: Webhostbudd
Created: 12/07/2004
Last Active: 9/22/07
May be back sometime.
Level 106 for life.

#14 dTwizy

dTwizy

Posted 01 April 2010 - 2:31 AM

I would be willing to chip in and help make a linux port(granted it really wouldn't be a port since it would most likely be rewritten from scratch), but the biggest problem is the library to create the window with. What do people prefer / what would be easiest and make the most sense? GTK or QT?

Edit: Although i did ask for opinions, I'm a gnome user and see a gtk client integrating better with the gnome interface. Unless someone gives me a good reason to use qt, i will most likely make something out of gtk. We will see if I actually follow through on it though.

If you're asking me I'm not sure. Are these GTK and QT things also Mac compatible?

#15 Webhostbudd

Webhostbudd

Computing CL

• Rating: < -5 | 3 | +5 >
  • RS Name:Webhostbudd

Posted 01 April 2010 - 4:24 PM

No, I'm really not asking for your help since I really haven't even started it yet. When I actually get started on it I will talk to you about it.

RS Name: Webhostbudd
Created: 12/07/2004
Last Active: 9/22/07
May be back sometime.
Level 106 for life.

#16 dTwizy

dTwizy

Posted 14 April 2010 - 5:46 AM

Updated with Dungeoneering included in the lookup, and fixed some other lookup issues :$

#17 Chasingu

Chasingu

Posted 16 April 2010 - 8:47 AM

I use this whenever I go on my RuneScape account.

Great work dude. You can also see it sometimes in my screenshots.

#18 Qorbywop

Qorbywop

• RS Name:Braindarts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

damn dude. thank you so much, this is amazing!
i doubted my macbook pro for scaping, because until college, i need something to do.
but this just made me love my mac! thanks so much!

#19 Clooth

Clooth

[[Guru alloc] initWithIQ: 9001]

• RS Name:Zen Jedi

Posted 13 May 2010 - 3:49 PM

I'm also a learning Mac OS X / iPhone developer, I will post in this thread whenever I have finished something I could share. (A client perhaps)
Best regards,

Clooth

Posted Image

#20 Chasingu

Chasingu

Posted 26 May 2010 - 6:44 PM

I absolutely love this Client, thank you so much for it. Its so Simple, yet that's all I need in it.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: