• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

• RS Name:Drill Sarge
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'm in 7th Grade right now, and my Spanish teacher gave me a test that I just know I failed.  I'm afraid that'll bring my average down dangerously and hurt my chances of going to a good High School.  Then I talked to my grandmother and she said they only look at your Math and English, which I don't believe.  Can anyone shed some light on this subject?  I live in New York if it varies by region/state/country.

-WickedSoul

您好! 我叫Anti-Troll。  我在美国出生,和在美国住在。 我是中国人!

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#2 frozenone

frozenone

• RS Status:Member

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you are screwed. Your granny is lying to you to make you feel better. You will never make it into a decent highschool with a bad 7th grade language test result on your record, especially in the current economic climate. It's literally the first thing admissions staff will look for. And without a decent highschool.... well, I hope you are good with a mop and bucket.

Spoiler

#3 Tarheels

Tarheels

• RS Name:Tarheels54

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Your grandmother is right..

Spanish is not really a important subject and POINTLESS! So they will never look at your Spanish and it won't affect you at all. In most states it's really all about math and reading. So don't worry you're fine.

City of wonder

Profile page updated sd vs tnc,sok,dek,etc

RR vs Gladz

Retired Feb 2009

Tarheels54
Retired February 2009

Ex Saradomin Dragons Leader (SD)

Ex The Neggas Clan (TNC)

Ex Rune Raiders (RR)

#4 Devin

Devin

SoTM.

• RS Name:Woodman1014

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Are you going to be enrolling at a private school? If not, your grades won't matter for getting into a high school. If fact, I wasn't aware that students could choose what school to attend; it is usually based off of a student's residence.

Anyway, a public high school will not deny you access because of grades. Then it wouldn't really be a public school. You're in 7th grade, anyway, so grades are not the most important thing in the world. Just make sure you turn on the gears in high school.

Edited by Devin, 23 September 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Hmm..

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Seriously? Dude, no high school's not going to accept you because you failed a Spanish test. :angry:
As long as you pass, you'll be fine. Just shape up and get better grades to even out your average.
It's the beginning of the year, anyways.. ^_^
~Dylan

#6 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

View PostDevin, on Sep 23 2009, 05:00 PM, said:

Are you going to be enrolling at a private school? If not, your grades won't matter for getting into a high school. If fact, I wasn't aware that students could choose what school to attend; it is usually based off of a student's residence.

Anyway, a public high school will not deny you access because of grades. Then it wouldn't really be a public school. You're in 7th grade, anyway, so grades are not the most important thing in the world. Just make sure you turn on the gears in high school.

I'm not planning to enroll in Stuyvesant or something, it's just I want to at least roll a above-average high school and roll an above-average college and roll a degree in graphics engineering and landing a job there.  From what I hear I just lost my chances at landing in an elite high school.  I don't care about that.

-WickedSoul

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#7 Devin

Devin

SoTM.

• RS Name:Woodman1014

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

View PostWickedSoul, on Sep 23 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

I'm not planning to enroll in Stuyvesant or something, it's just I want to at least roll a above-average high school and roll an above-average college and roll a degree in graphics engineering and landing a job there. From what I hear I just lost my chances at landing in an elite high school. I don't care about that.

-WickedSoul
One test in one class will not blow your chances. As long as you have above-average grades, you'll be fine. Spanish is not as important as Math or Science, so keep your cool on this one.

If I may say so, just stay at whatever public school you are going to now. You can get good grades there for free and then go to an above-average college.

#8 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:No1 1000
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

Unless you go ivy-league, the only huge difference any school will make above another from an employment perspective is how high your GPA ends up being.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

#9 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

Just for the record I never failed a test in my life, that's why I'm really hyped up ^_^

-WickedSoul

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#10 Andrieux

Andrieux

Mo' Hai der.

• RS Name:Skillawhat
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

View PostTarheels, on Sep 23 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

Spanish is not really a important subject and POINTLESS! So they will never look at your Spanish and it won't affect you at all. In most states it's really all about math and reading. So don't worry you're fine.

1. You have a class called "reading". You fail for that.
2. The ~third most spoken language in the world is "POINTLESS!". Right.

Edited by Andrieux, 23 September 2009 - 05:19 PM.

#11 Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Onanism isn't work. Try Marxism.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:55 AM

This crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career.

~Albert Einstein
Live simply, so others may simply live.

#12 M4G1CA

M4G1CA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

View PostWanderlust, on Sep 24 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

This crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career.

~Albert Einstein

Wow

That's got to be the most beautiful quote ever

EDIT: SOrry forgot to be on topic

Well, I really doubt you'll be refused admission into a decent high school with simply a bad Spanish test outcome.

Edited by M4G1CA, 24 September 2009 - 06:32 AM.

Your signature has been removed because it was breaking the rules of this community. It was too big (either too wide or too tall) and/or its file-size was too large. To find out more, please see our Signature and avatar rules. Please ensure that you fix your signature according to the rules before putting it up again. Otherwise, you may be banned. If you need any help, feel free to contact me. Thanks, ile

#13 Shauly

Shauly

Ruiner of Dreams

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

View PostM4G1CA, on Sep 24 2009, 07:34 AM, said:

style_images/ip.boardpr/exp_plus.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] EXPAND / COLLAPSE

Wow

That's got to be the most beautiful quote ever

EDIT: SOrry forgot to be on topic

Well, I really doubt you'll be refused admission into a decent high school with simply a bad Spanish test outcome.
This is off topic. Don't go on topic. :lmao:

I remember once I got a 72 on a math test in 7th grade. I thought my life was over. Now I realize how meaningless elementary school grades are. I graduated from 8th grade with straight A's, went to a private highschool for 2 years, and now I am a freshman in college. Don't sweat stuff like this.

Shauly
{Retired Senior Moderator}
{Retired Achievements Leader}

#14 McShieldSniper

McShieldSniper

honor virtutis praemium

• RS Name:stealthspy12

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

View PostShauly, on Sep 24 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

This is off topic. Don't go on topic. :lmao:

I remember once I got a 72 on a math test in 7th grade. I thought my life was over. Now I realize how meaningless elementary school grades are. I graduated from 8th grade with straight A's, went to a private highschool for 2 years, and now I am a freshman in college. Don't sweat stuff like this.

Shauly
:blink: Even a 72 on a test won't make that big of an impact on a high school class, even if you're going for an A.  In my school, anything >90% eventually becomes an A come semester time.  Most people, myself included, squeaked by and got straight As with only 89.5 to low 90s (most teachers in our school rounded up).  My math teacher for alg2/trig and precalc was insanely hard in my opinion and I would be getting 70s and 80s all the time.  If I had gotten a few better scores, I could've fallen into the low A category.

And A- in college = 3.7 in GPA weighting. :no:

` .
[Honored Member - Former Senior Moderator and co-Questions Leader]
[Poster of the Month September 2005]
[Never hesitate to private message me for anything]
[Formerly Super Duper Sexy Signature made by Phoenix Zero]
[No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. | -John Donne]

#15 sh0ok 0nes

sh0ok 0nes

Go home and get your shine box.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

Well, of course alot of private schools only care about the $$$$

Penn State

ΠΚΦ

#16 Nvwls

Nvwls

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

Fellow New Yorker!! :-)  :-P  :lmao:  ^_^  B-)  :$  B-)  :-P  ^_^  :-P  ;-)  :lol:

Specialized
: You mentioned Stuy, I go there. The SHSAT wasn't that bad, I managed a 713 with not much studying, which is good enough to get into any specialized hs (not including laguardia which requires audition). I'd suggest you buy a few books, read them the summer before the test. At the end of 7th grade they'll give you some materials including a HS handbook and SHSAT practice test. Take the test first and see what your weak spots are, and focus more on those over the summer. You should do well. Work hard if you need to, Stuyvesant is a great school with a reputation to match, it's one of the best public schools in the nation, if not somewhere near the top in the world. Around NYC tell someone you're going to Stuy and they'll know you're smart and a hard-worker. The atmosphere is great and so are the kids. Just be prepared to cut down on your RS time, A LOT. I just started my junior year, and I knew I had to quit. Getting good grades in junior year is essential. So don't plan on playing RS 5 hrs a day unless you sleep late (which I really don't suggest), or you don't plan on doing your homework or studying... Keep in mind all that matter for the SHSAT is your score. As long as you pass 8th grade and meet the cut-off score, you're in. No one cares if you spent one hundred hours volunteering at the local library or recycling. Just the score. All there is Math and Reading, no Science, no History, no essay.

Regular
: Townsend Harris in Flushing, Cardozo in Bayside, and Midwood in Brooklyn are some of the good ones. Townsend of course being the best. It has higher average scores on the Regents than Stuy by a point or so, nothing big. But it lacks the atmosphere, clubs, teams, and reputation of Stuy. Plus, the commute will be pretty long depending on where you live since it's pretty isolated. Cardozo has the same problem with transport, except it's worse, unless you lived close by in Queens.

These schools look at a couple things: averages, attendance, and ....that's about it. 95%+ attendance rate looks excellent along with a 95+ average. You will have a much greater chance of getting into the schools of your choice.

On your Spanish test...Spanish is a language, and no matter which school you go to, it will never count for as much as Reading, Math, or Science, with the first two being foremost the most important. So say you have 95 reading, 98 math, 96 science, 92 spanish. You're average will be much closer to a 96. Once my friend got his Spanish grade incorrectly put as a 70-something. He got it changed to something the high 90s. His average went up around a point...no a big difference for such a large gap between the grades. So don't kill yourself over it..

#17 Tarheels

Tarheels

• RS Name:Tarheels54

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

View PostAndrieux, on Sep 23 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

View PostTarheels, on Sep 23 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

1. You have a class called "reading". You fail for that.
2. The ~third most spoken language in the world is "POINTLESS!". Right.
In middle school it's called READING. When he gets to high school we can call it English.

City of wonder

Profile page updated sd vs tnc,sok,dek,etc

RR vs Gladz

Retired Feb 2009

Tarheels54
Retired February 2009

Ex Saradomin Dragons Leader (SD)

Ex The Neggas Clan (TNC)

Ex Rune Raiders (RR)

#18 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

View PostI Promise ko, on Sep 24 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

Fellow New Yorker!! :-)  :-P  :lmao:  ^_^  B-)  :$  B-)  :-P  ^_^  :-P  ;-)  :lol:

Specialized
: You mentioned Stuy, I go there. The SHSAT wasn't that bad, I managed a 713 with not much studying, which is good enough to get into any specialized hs (not including laguardia which requires audition). I'd suggest you buy a few books, read them the summer before the test. At the end of 7th grade they'll give you some materials including a HS handbook and SHSAT practice test. Take the test first and see what your weak spots are, and focus more on those over the summer. You should do well. Work hard if you need to, Stuyvesant is a great school with a reputation to match, it's one of the best public schools in the nation, if not somewhere near the top in the world. Around NYC tell someone you're going to Stuy and they'll know you're smart and a hard-worker. The atmosphere is great and so are the kids. Just be prepared to cut down on your RS time, A LOT. I just started my junior year, and I knew I had to quit. Getting good grades in junior year is essential. So don't plan on playing RS 5 hrs a day unless you sleep late (which I really don't suggest), or you don't plan on doing your homework or studying... Keep in mind all that matter for the SHSAT is your score. As long as you pass 8th grade and meet the cut-off score, you're in. No one cares if you spent one hundred hours volunteering at the local library or recycling. Just the score. All there is Math and Reading, no Science, no History, no essay.

Regular
: Townsend Harris in Flushing, Cardozo in Bayside, and Midwood in Brooklyn are some of the good ones. Townsend of course being the best. It has higher average scores on the Regents than Stuy by a point or so, nothing big. But it lacks the atmosphere, clubs, teams, and reputation of Stuy. Plus, the commute will be pretty long depending on where you live since it's pretty isolated. Cardozo has the same problem with transport, except it's worse, unless you lived close by in Queens.

These schools look at a couple things: averages, attendance, and ....that's about it. 95%+ attendance rate looks excellent along with a 95+ average. You will have a much greater chance of getting into the schools of your choice.

On your Spanish test...Spanish is a language, and no matter which school you go to, it will never count for as much as Reading, Math, or Science, with the first two being foremost the most important. So say you have 95 reading, 98 math, 96 science, 92 spanish. You're average will be much closer to a 96. Once my friend got his Spanish grade incorrectly put as a 70-something. He got it changed to something the high 90s. His average went up around a point...no a big difference for such a large gap between the grades. So don't kill yourself over it..

Looking to roll Brooklyn Tech at the best.

Edit: I think I got a 0 on this test but my class might be taking a retest and I don't know which one or both are going to count.  This is why I'm so nervous about it, that my Spanish average is pulled down to a... gasp... 50.  Which is terribad and I don't want to go to Summer school.  I'm a student who sets high goals but slacks when I'm run down.  Also, I need to cut on World of Warcraft, not RuneScape.  It's going to be a hard and tedious task but I want to pull through and bump my Spanish average.  Also, when I was in the 6th Grade I got to know her so maybe I can get a *personal* grade bump.

-WickedSoul

Edited by WickedSoul, 24 September 2009 - 08:22 PM.

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#19 Avicenna

Avicenna

Lost beneath the clouds

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

Relax! No high school is going to care about a failed Spanish test. In fact, even if you fail a unit exam on an actual important subject (math, English, science) you still won't be effected a lot. The fact is, no one mark in school really effects your entire average, and realize that there is a final exam at the end of each year that has the potential to make up for any messed up exams and quizzes you might have messed up. Specifically talking about second language programs now, I don't think its such a big deal as people make it out to be - at least that's how I see it in Canada. What's worth the most is a high GPA.  A second language is something that might give you an edge over others on a resume. On other hand, you may know all the languages in the world but with a low GPA? You'll quickly find that your languages mean nothing. That's not to say that having a second language is a bad thing; its just that you understand one bad mark in a language course won't be effecting any high schools you'd want to apply for. So, really? Stop worrying! Go get drunk! Okay, maybe you're too young for that last part but you get the idea :-P

Edited by Avicenna, 24 September 2009 - 08:49 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

View PostAvicenna, on Sep 24 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

Relax! No high school is going to care about a failed Spanish test. In fact, even if you fail a unit exam on an actual important subject (math, English, science) you still won't be effected a lot. The fact is, no one mark in school really effects your entire average, and realize that there is a final exam at the end of each year that has the potential to make up for any messed up exams and quizzes you might have messed up. Specifically talking about second language programs now, I don't think its such a big deal as people make it out to be - at least that's how I see it in Canada. What's worth the most is a high GPA.  A second language is something that might give you an edge over others on a resume. On other hand, you may know all the languages in the world but with a low GPA? You'll quickly find that your languages mean nothing. That's not to say that having a second language is a bad thing; its just that you understand one bad mark in a language course won't be effecting any high schools you'd want to apply for. So, really? Stop worrying! Go get drunk! Okay, maybe you're too young for that last part but you get the idea :-P

No I will not get drunk.  Bash my head on the keyboard maybe but no alcohol.  Ever.

-WickedSoul

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: