Table of Contents
- i - Revision history
- 1.0 - Why Tormented Demons?
- 2.0 - Requirements
- 3.0 - Equipment
- 4.0 - Strategies
- 5.0 - Tips and Tricks
- 6.0 - Loot
- 7.0 - Loot Pics
- 8.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
- 9.0 - Credits
i - Revision history
» 2/18/10 - Put up the GOTQ Banner :)
» 2/12/10 - WON GUIDE OF THE QUARTER, THANKS EVERYBODY :)
» 2/8/10 - Oh yea, I've been nominated for Most Informative Guide of the Quarter :) <333
» 2/8/10 - Holy Sh*t, haven't updated in a while. Well I just added tons of tips and loots from people on this thread :)
» 10/25/09 - Added Loot Pics section
» 10/14/09 - Updated the Safespot! (Thanks Keith)!
» 08/19/09 - Just put in some tips and tricks and new FAQ
» 08/14/09 - Guide got approved to General Guides :D
» 07/10/2009 - Finished Guide! & it's my sisters birthday :)
» 07/09/2009 - Started the guide!
1.0 - Why Tormented Demons?
» The real question is why NOT Tormented Demons?
» REMEMBER: Tormented Demons can only be fought during or after you have completed While Guthix Sleeps. So, Tormented Demons are level 450 demons that use all attacks from every side of the combat triangle, while also using all 3 different protections accordingly to your attacks. They also occasionally have shields that protect from high hitting hits, and could only be taken down from the Darklight, which is highly reccommended in killing them. Tormented Demons can be fought in the same place as where you explored in the While Guthix Sleeps quest. Now, onto to WHY. These demons are no doubt one of the best, if not the best, money makers to those mighty players who can defeat these marvelous beings. The most sought after drops from them are the infamous, Dragon Claws, as well as Ruined Dragon Armour Pieces which also add up. They are really easy to kills once you get the hang of it, and are definately worth it and you WILL make your money back for the supplies with just one drop of a Dragon Claw.
»Still not convinced, heres a little about my time playing Runescape and before and after Tormented Demons were introduced. (If you don't really care, but still not convinced, just go to the bottom and look at the pic of my bank lol :D)
Ok so heres how it went. I've been playing Runescape since Runescape classic. Every day I would dream of making huge piles of cash. As time went on, after 5 years, all that became of me was maybe 5-7m? Only until 10 months ago I got 99 Strength and got 30m killing Green Dragons and Barrows and what not...Just a while ago i completed While Guthix Sleeps and unlocked the ability to kill Tormented Demons in hope for alot of money. And this is my bank after just a little less then 4 days of killing Tormented Demons. (Note: The average Dragon Claw drop is somewhere of 1/225, excluding the chance of being lucky every 9 or so days)
My friend was so jealous ;) He denied that and we got in a little fight :P
http://img33.imagesh...12518edited.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
2.0 - Getting Prepared
- 85+ Attack
- 90+ Strength
- 85+ Defence
- 85+ Range
- 70+ Prayer (Highly Reccommended for Piety)
- 80+ Magic (Defence the Demons Magic Attacks)
- 52+ Summoning (Terrorbird, War Tortoise, Unicorn Stallion, etc.)
- If you die, you are going to need an Angel of Death gravestone to get your items back!
- Make sure to have more then 1 Sapphire Lantern to go back if you die.
- A Player Owned House with an Altar in Pollniveach or Relleka helps to recharge your summoning points if you don't bring Super Restores along the way.
3.0 - Equipment Beast of Burden Set-up
http://img36.imagesh...10024633sec.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Unicorn Stallion Set-up
http://img36.imagesh...90710024030.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Head: Neitiznot Helm OR Verac Helmet
Amulet: Fury Amulet > Amulet of Glory > Amulet of Power
Torso: Karil's Leathertop > Black D'hide Body
Legs: Karil's Leatherskirt > Black D'Hide Chaps
Shield: Rune Defender > Dragonfire Shield > Spirit Shield
Boots: Dragon Boots > Ranger Boots
Weapon: Darklight (REQUIRED) + Dragon Halberd (Highly Reccommended for Spec) + Rune Crossbow > Crystal Bow + Godsword
(You won't be using GS Specs) > Whip
Bolts: Diamond Bolts(e) > Broad-Tipped Bolts > Mithril Bolts
Gloves: Your Best RFD Gloves
Ring: Either Ring of Wealth (Experienced) OR Ring of Life (Till' you get the hang of it)
Cape: Ava's Accumulator > Fire Cape > Cape of Achievement > God Cape
*Armadyl/Void Range Set can also be used*
4.0 - Strategies
How to get there:
1. Start at the Recipe for Disaster Chest and go through the hole. Go south and squeeze yourself through the another hole. Souther a bit more and jump across the stepping stone and enter the cave. Floating around will be blue creatures called Light Creatures. Now with your Sapphire Lanter, "use" it with a close Light Creature and two options will appear on your screen. You have to choose the "Into the Chasm" option, and the creature will carry you down into a cutscene.
2. After the cutscene, you will be surrounded with white Light Creatures.(Don't mind these.) Now just keep going up until you find youself running into a narrow path.
http://img5.imagesha...0710034907l.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
3. Now at the end, climb up the rocks all the way to the top Skull and click "enter".
http://img5.imagesha...0710034948v.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
4. Ok, now your almost there, Now just go to the center and follow the path all the way south;
http://img5.imagesha...0710035033a.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Now just rest and restore your energy and follow onto the next part..
Now heres the fun part. Firstly, start off by drinking your potions. Ok, since the Tormented Demon always started off with using a Magic Attack, pray Mage when luring the demon.
Luring the demon is really easy as long as you have Protection from Mage on. Take it off for even a second, and you'll see what happens...
Step 1: Go to the opening of the cave as you would normally, where the cave branches out into the large Tormented Demon chamber. When you are here, attempt to get the demon nearest you to follow you. This isn't necessary, but it helps in trapping it behind the pillar coming up.
Step 2: When you have the demon safely behind the pillar, make sure you mage pray as always, and run up northeast as shown in the image.
http://img50.imagesh...09/tdsspot1.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Step 3: When you're here, the demon to the southwest should still be following you. This is good. Continue running up northeast as shown in the image below, and make sure that the demon to the east gets on you.
http://img360.images...52/tdsspot2.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Step 4: Now, you should have both demons on you (Indicated by the yellow dots circled in green), and you should continue east and go one square south so you're located safely away from both demons. When this is done, you can move on southeast into the spot shown.
Step 5: Once you are here, you should see a demon behind the pillar to your south. If you do not, be patient, he will come back north soon enough. If you try to go get him, you'll untrap the two you just trapped and ruin all of your work. When the demon is behind the pillar, one of to things can happen.
Route 1, Step 6: The demon moves to the east while you wait, and he then moves north and notices you. At first glance, he'll start firing off mage, so make sure your prayer is on. Once he's moved toward you, move north one spot and then east one spot, as shown in the image.
Route 1, Step 7: When you're in this spot, the demon will no longer be able to attack you, so he will move right up to your location. Move one spot west, and you're done and ready to kill that demon.
Route 2, Step 6: The demon moves to the west while you wait, and then notices you. At your current location, he won't instantly come at you, so you have to make him. Move north two steps and then west two steps. This will get the demon out of his spot, and moving toward you.
Route 2, Step 7: Move east two steps, south one step, and then east one more step to return to your waiting location in Route 1, Step 6, and then move one step west and one step south to move to your original waiting location.
Now, you should be ready to kill the demon.
The Tormented Demon uses 3 different types of attacks...There is almost no way to know when he is going to switch other then the fact of when he uses his Charge Attack and when he switches Protection Prayers. At some times, he can change attacks in the middle of you attacking him, and there is no way to block his attack. But if you are quick enough, you can switch before he attacks you again, so make sure you pay attention and change prayers and attacks accordingly to his attacks and defences.
He shoots a fireball out of his mouth pretty fast. Pretty accurate, but shouldn't hit much with your range Defences.
http://img36.imagesh...90710044134.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Takes his left arm and makes a snapping noise as he throws a bone at you. Most accurate attack of his.
http://img36.imagesh...0710044408p.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Slashes you with his claws, leaving a mark in the air. Not that accurate, but never the less dangerous.
http://img36.imagesh...90710044216.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A very accurate attack which he bends back and charges up, THIS IS WHEN YOU SWITCH TO MAGE PROTECT TO BLOCK THE ATTACK!
http://img36.imagesh...90710044417.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
The killing is pretty straight foward and obvious;
- Don't attack using the prayer he has above his head.
- When he has his shield up, make sure to get rid of that first with the Darklight.
- He switches prayers and attacks for each 29-30 damage inflicted upon him.
- And much stuff like that...You WILL get the hang of it in your first or second trip!
5.0 - Tips and Tricks
- If you are low on Prayer, try flashing Piety/Eagle Eye to really save prayer.
- Using the f1 and f3 keys for switching between prayer and inventory help alot.
- Make sure you equip a Rune Defender while trying to take out their shield with the Darklight since by itself is very weak.
- The Tormented Demon switches protection prayers and attacks about every 29-31 damage you inflict. NOTE: You can still inflict over 30 damage on him.
- With the shield, you will only be able to inflict 5-10 damage before he switches prayers.
- If you want, you can just leave the Dragon Halberd and bring a Saradomin Godsword for its specials.
- This might take some practice to figure out, but you can quickly use the Dragon Halberd Spec and go back under cover before he even gets a chance to hit you.
- Make sure your Audio is on, it will help you identify when the Demon switches attack style or when he puts up the shield.
- Use Quick Prayers, I keep mine to use Mage Protect. So when he uses his charge attack, I can swiftly protect.
- Pay close attention to the protection prayer he has on to make sure you don't waste time hitting 0's...
- Remember, he always starts with protection from Melee and always started by using his Mage attacks.
- (By October Sky:) There is a really easy way to tell if the TD is going to switch to "Range" attack, and it sometimes works for "magic." When he throws his head back for the combo, keep an eye out for his TAIL. If you see a little white barb shoot up (identical to the range missile), the next set of attacks WILL be range. Even if you're hitting him, the animation WILL NOT get disrupted.
If, after he throws his head back, a random, small fiery orb (the magic projectile) shoots off somewhere to the side, the next attack will be MAGIC. This always happens if you see the orb, but like the Jad, this animation can be missed if you shoot the demon while his heads thrown back.
- (By Aragon:) When picking what familiar to use, go from BoB -> Healing familiar. When your BoB becomes empty, dismiss that familiar and summon your healing familiar. It definitely helps and allows more kills/trip.
- (By Aragon:) If you have a Saradomin Godsword, don't bring a Dragon Hally because that special will be very useful, use it when he first switches to range protect and you need HP/Prayer.
- (By dnovelta:) Just a tip for people still not confident with the prayer switching, remember that the TD's ranged attack is the strongest. So when you know he's about to switch styles, but haven't yet figured out which animation means which attack, you can just auto-switch to Pro Range.
Also, because their melee attack is their weakest, when they're using Range/Mage and are about to switch styles, just switch to the opposite prayer. You generally don't get hit for much damage from the melee attack.
- (By Marshal Loss:)... for a ring you should probably bring an archer or a berserker, as a wealth doesn't actually increase the likelihood of dragon claws or lumps, unless you would prefer the slight raise in rune drops etc over the slight raise in efficiency.
- TRY NOT TO DIE!
6.0 - Loot
Heres the drops worth picking up from Tormented Demons:
- Ranarrs/Snapdragon + Seeds
- Adamant Bars
- Fire Talismans
- Adamant Battleaxes
- Charms (3)
- Rune Sword
- Rune Mace
- Rune Sq Shield
- Prayer Potions
- Half of key
- Rune Med Helm
- Rune Longsword
- Runite Ore
- Rune Chainbody
- Rune 2h
- Dragon Med helm
- Ruined Dragon Lump,Shard, & Slice
- DRAGON CLAWS
7.0 - Drop pics
(Not from me, it's from people reading this guide :))
http://img510.images...p1122thkill.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
http://img651.images...00111180819.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
http://img146.images...1572/clawso.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
^^Rule 34 O_O
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8493/100213190049.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
8.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the chances for a Dragon Claw?
» A: To me, it all depends. Because heres what happened, I got 2 Dragon claws in 1 hour, and then I didn't get a dragon claw for another 3-4 Days. But if you really want me to put a rate on it, I'll say 1-3 days...So in comparison, Tormented Demons are, or can be way better then the God War Bosses. In numbers, it's about every 1/225 chances. You can kill about 20 per trip with War Tortoise and about 40+ with Unicorn Stallions.
Q: What are the chances for a Ruined Dragon Piece?
» A: Might be surprising, but the chances for a Ruined Dragon Piece is much rarer then Dragon Claws, sometimes as much as 2x as rare. This is why, when Jagex released the Dragon Platebody and Dragon Claws, they expected the Dragon Platebody to cost much more then the Dragon Claws, thus they made the pieces more rare then the Dragon Claws, which are obviously worth more.
Q: I heard Dragon Claws got nerfed. Are they still worth it?
» A: Dragon Claws will always be worth it, and they have never got nerfed. Proof below.
As far as drops in general go: sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. A friend of mine got the draconic visage on the first dragon kill they made after the update. She almost threw it away since she assumed it was some junk that had appeared (she hadn't played in a while). She has been killing lots of dragons since, but hasn't received another visage drop. That doesn't mean we "nerfed" it, it just means she is less lucky now. I myself have received four Robin Hood hats from the fifty or so treasure trails I have ever done, yet have never received any Barrows gear in over fifty attempts. Try to remember that while someone might think they are "owed" a drop, luck has no rules.
Well that's what Jagex says...
Q: Why do you say just "Godsword"
» A: The reason being is that any Godsword will do (If you bring a Dhally and use it for Specs) because each Godsword has the same stats. But what you may be thinking is that, why not use Armadyl Godsword Special Attack? There are a couple reasons why Dragon Halberd special. 1. The Dragon Halberd Allows 3 Specials. 2. Most of the time does more damage since the Tormented Demon is a big monster, which activates the Dragon Halberd Side Effect Special 3. Dragon Halberd can reach a farther distance, which means you can attack from a quicker speed and retreat without getting hit or getting hit just once.
Q: I don't get it..Is there a video?
» A: If you don't understand it, I'm sorry, I tried as hard as I can to make this worth your reading, but if you have to, there's always videos on Youtube.
I was thinking of making a Tormented Demon guide on my Youtube, (http://www.youtube.com/stam6554321)
Q: Z0mg, I just died!
» A: Well if you have the Angel of Death gravestone, you can run back with enough time to pick up all of you're stuff. I learnt this the hard way when I had a Lump on me and died, that's what made me go and buy Angel of Death.
» A: Yes
9.0 - Credits
Stam65543: The Guide itself lol
Keith: For updating the safespot !! ( Check page 5 )
October Sky: For giving me much information over the pages of this thread! And also hes Indian ;)
Zybez: For just being Zybez xD
Jagex: Runescape...=P and this extremely easy and fun way to make money!
Guide Copyright Notice:
All Guides are Copyright © Zybez RuneScape Community Guides forum and the original author, 2001-2010+; All Rights Reserved.
All Guides submitted to Zybez RuneScape Community become property of the Zybez Guides forum. Use on any other website without the author's permission is PROHIBITED!
Edited by stam65543, 13 September 2010 - 07:44 PM.