Community Memories

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#1 Atarah

Atarah

A 70s Disco Dancer.

• RS Status:Member

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:30 AM

Do you remember a year ago, or even two? Remember a specific event, a level-up, a certain person or an attention-grabbing update? Have you ever looked back to your glory days, when Varrock and Falador were words that were unknown to you, when you needed a map to find your way round the free world, or the day you finally went through those member's gates for the first time (getting killed by a white wolf on your way to Catherby!).

This topic is to remember all those times which linger in your memory and you wish to share with the community. Whether it be a big event or a small one, an event remembered by many or just a few, impersonal or personal, you can put them all in here. This topic, unlike the one in Community Discussion, is for in game memories only, the end idea being that we create a form of memory capsule, that others can read and learn about the history of the game through its best critics - you, the players, old and new.

Please feel free to discuss memories at will, or, simply post snip its in this topic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Arno

Arno

Oh hi

• RS Status:Retired
  • Clan:Druidz

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:34 AM

I remember when I actually had to be afraid of Wizards hanging around the Wizard Tower. I had been boasting to my friends about how I had not yet been killed in Runescape, only to find myself in Lumbridge a few moments thereafter.

-[Head of the CMP]-

-[Retired since 2012]-
-[Voted Poster of 2009]-
-[Voted Best Debater of 2010]-

-[Ex-Pictures | GFX | General Discussion Leader]-

#3 Murdoc

Murdoc

D-FENS

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

I remember making about five different accounts when I first came across RuneScape. A new one for every time I got the previous killed upon leaving the confindes of Lumbridge Castle. I thought you effectively lost the game upon death, and losing all those items. Never imagined, back then, I could make enough money to regain bronze swords, bronze square shields, et al.

But then I realised I was wrong, and what I was doing was stupid. So I reverted back to my origional character, and only switched upon getting the respective accounts hacked from my control.

:-O :XD:

Edited by Murdoc, 24 June 2009 - 07:19 AM.

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#4 Scott

Scott

kill the switch

• RS Name:Surette

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

I remember when myself and a few of my friends that played RuneScape together at the time got lost in Draynor Manor for a long time.  We were all just following each other, like a train around RuneScape (we did that often, it was fun).  We were all just starting, like level 10 or so, and one of our friends was level 30 or so, so we thought he was amazing, and he led us into Draynor Manor.  We couldn't find the way out for the life of us.  It was quite funny.

I also remember the first time I died in RuneScape... I was just standing by the chicken coop with two of my friends, talking to them.  I was burying the chicken bones, when all of a sudden a shade appeared.  I had no idea what was going on, and by the time my level 30 friend told me to run, I was already dead.  

The same level 30 friend also gave me a full set of steel armor when I was able to wear it, and I thought I was rich.  Then another one of my close friends and I both mined coal in Barbarian Village and sold it in order to make enough money for rune armor.  It was so exciting finally achieving the 200K milestone to afford rune.

I miss the old times in F2P with those friends.  We'd all play together (these weren't friends that I met from RuneScape) and explore together.  We all ended up getting members together, and I remember one of the friends telling me that you could get a cat in members, and I thought it sounded so cool.  Two of the friends still play, they're both level 120+.  I'm still close friends with them, but it's not the same as when we were all new to the game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Devin

Devin

SoTM.

• RS Name:Woodman1014

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:06 AM

I remember when making the trip to Varrock was a dangerous trek, due to the Dark Wizards that would hang around those relics. Begining our RuneScape characters, me and several other friends would attempt to take over their relics. We didn't understand however, that they would respawn. Hours went by until we gave up. We searched for a portal of some sort to stop them, but we couldn't find one. Let me tell you, I was pissed off when we realized they kept coming back. Good times...

#6 UberChaos

UberChaos

• RS Name:Uberchaos
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

I remember the first time I bought a full set of armor - full mithril.

This was nearly 5 and a half years ago, back in Classic. Even though I had around 20 defense, I never owned a full set of armor, just a bunch of bronze and iron items I managed to find. I mined and smithed bronze items and sold them to the Varrock weapons store until I had enough money to get a full set + shield (I already had a mithril battle axe. Was never a 2h fan). I bought the set in Falador East Bank for 12k. I felt so powerful and blue wearing it.  :wub:

Mmm, those were the days of true motivation and accomplishment.

Uberchaos - F2P Main, active
Scytheofdoom - P2P Test Account, dormant Achievement Thread (No Longer Updating)

#7 Lee S

Lee S

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

I recall feeling extremely proud of myself and literally yelling with joy when I reached the ability to make full mith armor. I thought I finally found a good money making ability. I was able to buy rune sets and I recall playing the game for about 10 hours just to make like 600k lol.

Posted Image

#8 Hersch

Hersch

Previously Littlemike02

• RS Name:Herschman

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

I remember... when I first joined and was so confused. I was lost and couldn't find anything. I had to use that silly map you buy at the General Store to get around! When I finally got to Varrock I saw 100gp on the ground near the bank and thought I was rich for picking it up. I was wondering who was stupid enough to leave riches on the ground like that. :wub:

I remember... joining my first clan. I was having trouble joining the forums and couldn't figure out to how to do anything on the forums. My first clan was a blast. I had a great time going to events and participating in the skill of the month they had.

I remember... the first time I died. I was with my real life friend and we went to the wild for some reason. I don't remember why, but I had to get off. When I logged back on, I didn't know how to get out of the wild... so I died.

I remember... hanging out in a house in Varrock and basically for the first month or so doing everything with my real life friends. Sadly, most of them have ceased to play the game now.

I remember... the only time I ever tried to go PKing. I only brought a whip and I lost it. At the time, that was my prized possession and was angry at myself for even trying to PK. After this, I never stepped into the wild or tried PKing ever again.

I remember... POHs being introduced into the game. It was really fun when they first came out.

I remember... when Pest Control first came out. Everyone was doing it and the best world for a while was 76.

This brings back some good memories. :unsure:

#9 Maxman

Maxman

I Know You

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

Okay, I'm freaked out. I totally thought of this kind of memory topic a few days ago, seriously. :wub:

I remember the skills Hunter, Construction, and Summoning being released. It was quite a havoc time in RuneScape.

I remember, like Devin, the road to Varrock. The dark mages were so hard back then and it was always challenging if you had a low combat level.

I remember when my friend and I started a fun clan (not really) called Savors of RuneScape. Basically, we'd go to any location in the Wilderness and fight bots fighting Green dragons. We killed a few, but most of them would teleport away. We were noobs, so we didn't have teleblock. I remember we made this one bot with a whip skulled and were so excited. We got him down to half health and he teleported away. Probably the best time of RuneScape there. :-O

I remember trying to make my first big amount of gp. It took awhile, but I finally went from 1k, to 10k, to 100k, to 1m, now to 10m+. :unsure:

View PostHersch, on Jun 24 2009, 11:31 AM, said:

This brings back some good memories. :-O
I know. It makes me kind of... sad in a way.

Edited by Maxman, 24 June 2009 - 11:43 AM.

Retired from RuneScape | 99 Cooking | 99 Fletching | 99 Fishing | Quest cape
Posted Image- Feel free to PM Me
- Retired Zybez RS Database/Maintenance Crew
- Ex-CL of Guides
- Ex-CL of General Discussion

#10 Bobba

Bobba

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

I remember the first time I died in the wilderness. In those days full rune was worth quite a lot, and I was PKing in a set thinking I wouldn't die. I was with a few friends PKing in deep wilderness when suddenly we've got rushed by quite a big clan. Even though I did not know what 'tanking' was back then, I was actually good at it as I managed to eat all my food while having a lot of people on me. When I spawned in Lumbridge I clicked on the big red famous X and haven't played for a couple days.

Posted Image

The Runescape Warhunger Federation

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. "

#11 Sofox

Sofox

Just Keep Hitting It

• RS Name:YoFaceNate
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

A memory that seems to have been stuck in my head for a while now is when I just started to play Runescape and I was trying to cut down a tree.

I clicked on a tree and it said I needed to have an axe to cut it down. I went to the Draynor bank and was asking people if they could sell me an axe. I was there for a few minutes and someone finally sells me an iron battle axe. I saw that it was an axe so I bought it. I ran back to that same tree and tried to finally cut it down. It told me again that I needed an axe. I was enraged. I went back to the guy and told him that I wanted my money back because he sold me an axe that doesn't cut down trees. He replied, "Lol, fail" and logged out. I then visited the manual on the Runescape front page to find that a battle axe could not cut down trees.

I still think that you should be able to cut down a tree with a battle axe.

Posted Image
RuneScape player since Feb 6th, 2005

#12 Yuanpei

Yuanpei

• RS Name:Yuanpei
  • Clan:Flyboyjs

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

So many amazing memories of when I was new.

I remember dying first from the highway man, i was so sad.

I remember mining coal for 30k p/hr(I think?) and finally getting enough to buy full rune <333

I remember thinking full rune was awesome then dying at wildy from pkers =[

I remember being sad for a long period of time and making money for full rune again.

I remember finally getting member, first quest was the boy outside house where taverly was

I remember getting my first 99

Great memories =]

#13 Brandeis

Brandeis

Ex Bantard

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

I remember when I joined and the public chat is automatically set to the "off" mode so I thought everyone was a npc. It took me like a week or two of playing to turn it on and realize these were actual people, lol. :wub:

#14 Avicenna

Avicenna

Lost beneath the clouds

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

I remember the first few weeks I had started playing RuneScape. I was young, so I didn't fully understand how to level up or how the game functioned. All I really cared about was raising my combat level. Funny thing was, I didn't know how to raise it properly either :wub: I kept training skills like mining and fishing, and glancing to see if my combat level had increased or not.

Hmm, I remember the release of barrows. Everyone was excited, and people were ranting that barrow armors were too overpowered.

I remember PKing for the first time at giants with a few friends. I got my first whip drop there.

I remember runecrafting for endless amounts of hours trying to gain back some of the money I kept losing.

I remember getting hacked and losing nearly 40M; all the money I had worked on by runecrafting for nearly a month.

I remember a lot more, but I'll post the rest later :unsure:

Edited by Avicenna, 24 June 2009 - 12:29 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Skullz

Skullz

Walrus

• RS Name:Jb Sucks10
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

lol i remmeber a few things from my noob past...

i remember when clan chats first came out, and while i was walking around in lumbridge, cory(some numbers) asked me if i wanted to join emeyral1's (spelled wrong) clan, i was so exited, so i joined.. but i ddint now how to talk! (i didn't ready the home page at this time) and i keep asking people in our "base" (fancy dress shop in varrock) how to talk..no one answerd for a bit =/ than finaly emeryal1 said put "/" in front of it. eventually i got corp. rank... but then.. the clan broke apart.. only seen cory on scince then... i was good freinds with all the members.. but i was playing befor clan chats came out, this is when i created my 2nd account: jb rules10

i remember my first time going to wildy.. i died =/.... i made it to lvl 48 wildy, the highest for non members.. then a bunch of mage noobs came and pk'd me..
i remember when the wildy was taken away (not literally, yaknow you culdent pk there anymore) i ws down-right excited a tthat point.. then i met the revanants..

hmm what eles.. :wub:

oh yeah, i remember when they first put trade limits on... thats about it for now... :unsure:
Posted Image
The Cake is a LIE.

#16 Snexbox

Snexbox

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

View PostHedgehog, on Jun 24 2009, 11:02 AM, said:

I remember when myself and a few of my friends that played RuneScape together at the time got lost in Draynor Manor for a long time.  We were all just following each other, like a train around RuneScape (we did that often, it was fun).  We were all just starting, like level 10 or so, and one of our friends was level 30 or so, so we thought he was amazing, and he led us into Draynor Manor.  We couldn't find the way out for the life of us.  It was quite funny.

This made me smile. :)

I loved the unknown, what was going to happen when you reached a new city/town, I think everyone will remember the first time they got PK'ed in Wildy.

:)

*sighs*
You don't have to be in whos who to know whats what

#17 Avicenna

Avicenna

Lost beneath the clouds

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

View PostMaxman, on Jun 24 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

I know. It makes me kind of... sad in a way.

I know what you mean. RuneScape now compared to a couple years ago is completely a different experience. No, I don't mean game play and how the updates have changed the game. I'm talking specifically about myself, for example. For instance, my RuneScape playing time basically consisted of making money, losing it, making money again, then losing it, and it was sort of a cycle like that.

Ever since the introduction of updates like barrows, godwars and PvP worlds though, I've been able to manage to make a lot of money and actually not lose all of it in one place :wub: Basically, the way I play the game has changed. The things I do, the way I go about doing things. You could say a change of interest, which comes with age of course. Oh wait, I think I just found a good topic for a blog to write.. :unsure:

But yeah, it does make you sad in a way to think about the old times though - how it used to be and comparing it with modern times.

Edited by Avicenna, 24 June 2009 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Hmm..

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

I remember doing Dragon Slayer, and having to spend 3 days to find the 3K for the boat ride.
I remember dying doing Dragon Slayer. Twice.
I remember dying 3 times to a Goblin, and getting mad and logging off for a day.  :lol:
I remember when everyone wore D'hide, and it was amazing to see someone walking around in Rune.
I remember me and my brother going PKing in Rune (in f2p), and never getting hit.
I remember when whips were 6M+, and I had to sell everything I owned to buy one.  
I remember when you could make profit from Herblore and Cooking.
I remember when the RS Community was pretty small, and people were actually polite and mature.
I remember when you had to buy a lot of something, you'd go to W2 and spend ~20 minutes in lag city trying to find the place where people were selling what you were looking for.
I remember almost buying a Blue back when it was ~30M and thinking it was a waste of money.
I remember when you could lure and in one day get 100M.
I remember when Jagex didn't safeguard everything to the point where it got unbearable (ditch, warning signs, ect.)
I remember the Fally Massacre, and logging in just to see if it was true.
I remember the first time I saw a Player Mod, and freaking out.  :-(
I remember dying 5+ times doing Desert Treasure.  To the same boss.  Damis.  -_-
I remember when you could get 80-99 Attack, Strength, OR Defense in two weeks at PC.
I remember when the only good armor choices were Rune and Torags.
I remember going to Bronze Dragons with my brother and getting owned because we didn't know we were suppose to bring anti-dragonfire shields
...I remember watching my brother doing Tutorial Island.  That was the day I joined.  :-)
~Dylan

Edited by Squirl100, 28 June 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#19 soFLYhigh

soFLYhigh

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

-i remember carrying all my stuff in my inventory because the bank was not helpful

-i thought that on halloween 03', anyone over lvl 30 could turn invisible and "kill u" so i did not log on during halloween and miss the oportunity to get my scythe

-i remember being afraid of dying

-i thought my total lvl was my combat lvl

-i had to loot willow logs on the ground to buy this bronze pickaxe in the general store in lumby

#20 Hersch

Hersch

Previously Littlemike02

• RS Name:Herschman

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

View PostSquirl100, on Jun 24 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

I remember dying doing Dragon Slayer. Twice.

I remember not dying at all doing it. I brought a lot of lobsters and cakes for food. I probably didn't die because I waited for so long that there was only a minimal chance of dying.

View PostsoFLYhigh, on Jun 24 2009, 06:20 PM, said:

-i remember carrying all my stuff in my inventory because the bank was not helpful

Now that you mention that, I remember when I first started I had all my items in my inventory as well. I don't even think I knew we could put items in the bank and use it. :-) I had my tinderbox, map, and all that other junk in my inventory. It took up a lot of space and I recall wondering what I was going to do when I acquired more stuff. Eventually, I learned that the bank was a valuable thing and that it was a usable, safe place to put my items. :lol:

I remember... that quest on Karajama with the bananas. I wasn't using a quest guide and couldn't figure out how to get the rum past customs. It cost me a lot and the stupid customs people kept taking the rum I was trying to smuggle. :-(

I remember... when I fell for the item trimming trick. Somehow I threatened the guy into giving me my items back. He was far too nice to be an "item trimmer". -_-

I remember... being tricked as a new player who just joined. I was fishing in Draynor and I got PMed and was told to PM some guy and say I was a J-mod and wanted their money. Well, I was stupid enough to do so and didn't know the rules very well at this time. The other guy PMed me and said "reported, you're gonna get banned noob" or something along those lines. I was furious that I was tricked and fell for it because in the end I did end up getting banned and had to make a new account all over again.

Edited by Hersch, 24 June 2009 - 05:37 PM.
Misplaced a word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: