What Age Group Do You Think Is Most Prevalent In Runescape?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: What age group do you think is most prevalent in Runescape?

Which age group is MOST dominant in Runescape? (you may select more than one if you can't make up your mind)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you need to be mature minded (a bit smart) to play Runescape?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which age groups do you WISH played Runescape more?

When do you think you'll stop playing Runescape (as much)?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Rfcabd

Rfcabd

• RS Name:Rfcabd
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

I'd say it's more younger people that play, you can tell by some of the immature rabble and random fighting and flaming towards others.  I would love to see more 18+ players playing.
Posted Image

#42 Naded

Naded

I Love G.I.F

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

13-17 years of age, most people begin to slow down once they go off to college.

Myspace
Aim : Pink Can Fly
RS Name : Naded
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
| Girls Really | Ru N | Rune Scape | < 3 |

#43 Bud2400

Bud2400

• RS Status:Member

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I would imagine that most players tend to be within the 13 - 16 age group.  I also think there's a significant number of 17+ people, with fewer and fewer as the age goes up, but that they aren't "dominant" compared to the numbers of Runescape players between 13 and 16.  The 12 and under group is rather exaggerated I believe, though I'm sure there's a few 8 year olds lurking around Runescape.

I'd like to see more players in the 17 - 19 and 20 - 25 age group play Runescape more.  This is mainly because being 22 myself (13 when I started playing back in summer 2001), it would be nice to run into those who are my age and in college (or just out of it like I am) rather than high school more often.  Although I made that vote with my own personal preference in mind - in no way do I think it will make Runescape "better" necessarily.

As for being mature minded, you don't need to be mature at all to play Runescape.  While I'm sure being mature will allow you to focus and achieve your goals more efficiently, as well as make you a more pleasant person all around, you can be a completely immature / stupid and still play Runescape easily.  How many high levels have you ran into that had the mouth of a sailor when they could easily enough express their points with a better word choice?  How many high levels have you ran into trying to talk crap about how they make $100,000 a year in real life as a golf caddy or something along those lines?  Like I said, maturity is not a prerequisite for Runescape.

When will I stop?  I don't know.  I just back from a long retirement around the end of 2003 when I was in the middle of high school (it wasn't why I stopped).  Now I just finished college up and am looking for a job, and I doubt I'd stop if I found one.  I'll probably stop completely when I get tired of playing the game, though I voted for if I have a baby because I figure that would take up too much of my time for me to really be able to concentrate on Runescape for extended periods of time anymore.  Hopefully I won't be having any babies for another 5 - 10 years.

Edited by Bud2400, 05 April 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#44 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

• RS Name:Drill Sarge
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

I've already quit RuneScape because World of Warcraft is much more fun.  I played again and now I'm going to quit, once again.  I quit World of Warcraft, but not because it wasn't fun, but because I have to prepare for an extremely hard and extremely important test to get into the best high school in the country.

I think mostly 11-18 year olds are more prevalent in RuneScape purely because of what I see on World 1.  That behavior can only be exhibited by people of that age range.

If I ever start playing RuneScape hardcore, which I doubt I will EVER, I wish more 20-30 year olds would play in RuneScape, because I could relate to them better and not have to deal with kids who randomly click Follow and say "u suk, ur mom suks and u have no life", well not as often anyway.

E: Typo

~Anti-Troll

Edited by Anti-Troll, 05 April 2010 - 08:52 PM.

您好! 我叫Anti-Troll。  我在美国出生,和在美国住在。 我是中国人!

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#45 Syrsly

Syrsly

Aspiring Programmer and Artist

• RS Name:Watching You

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

If we could somehow identify age on the internet, it would be much easier to find people to chat with, but until that day comes, we're forced to forever wonder if that girl is really a fat guy in his mother's basement.

Anyway, I want more people in the the 18+ group to play, because I hate the need for censors. Also, it'd be nice if we could have blood and gore.

I made a pretty fun video game montage with music:
Video Games I Enjoyed in 2011.

Guild Wars 2 username: Surro.6952

Current goals: 9000 AP for Radiant Helm, ascended gear for mesmer.

#46 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

• RS Name:Drill Sarge

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostGetLives, on 05 April 2010 - 08:55 PM, said:

If we could somehow identify age on the internet, it would be much easier to find people to chat with, but until that day comes, we're forced to forever wonder if that girl is really a fat guy in his mother's basement.

Anyway, I want more people in the the 18+ group to play, because I hate the need for censors. Also, it'd be nice if we could have blood and gore.

I fail to see the connection in those 2 terms.

~Anti-Troll

您好! 我叫Anti-Troll。  我在美国出生,和在美国住在。 我是中国人!

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#47 Farmboy714

Farmboy714

Git teh 'ell off mah prop'teh!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

I dunno if this breaks the intent of the thread at all, but I thought I'd share an interview with Mark Gerhard I found a while back (2009).

"Like, less than 4% of our players are under 13, and the average age is 16. There are two major spikes; one at 14, and one at 18. And then obviously secondarily one at 19 and weirdly one at 28."

"But to be honest it is 16 and up. The best way to describe it is that we actively internally say we're making a game we want to play. And whilst we're not gratuitous with our content -- it might be enjoyed by a younger audience -- but in terms of the gameplay and complexity and puzzling, we've aimed it at an adult mind, not a kid mind. And, I think, that's the message we believe internally and we shared it with our guys. But now, it's important we start saying that publicly."

I do wish there was a more mature player base to be honest, but I also understand that one of the major reasons for Jagex's success is their ability to cater to a wide gambit of age groups.
Submit your stories/poems to The Archives!
Posted Image
One Cut, One Kill | Live and Die by the Sword | Never Surrender | The Way of the Warrior

#48 Teddy

Teddy

Excuse me?

• RS Name:Sc0rp X L R

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

I think that the most common age group really is 14-16 years old.  Of course the 13s and unders are the most outspoken, but in the words of Nixon and the Republicans of the 1950s, we represent the "silent majority."  And although a surprisingly large amount of immature players partake in RuneScape, they're definitely not getting all they can out of it.  They're either spamming and being a general nuisance or playing it on and off or treating it as an annoying addiction.  The older players understand the intricacy and wonder of a community, and they can love it more and quit less than the younger players.  Having said that, real life catches up with all of us at one point or another.  I'm already entering my final year of high school and have a gaming console.  But the real reason I've been moving away from RuneScape is it's losing that bit of fun, and I just seem to like lots of those real-life things you listed more than the game that I once loved.

-Teddy
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: