Can You Play Runescape On Any Handheld Device?

Runescape problem

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Webhostbudd

Webhostbudd

Computing CL

• RS Name:Webhostbudd
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

http://java.sun.com/...ce_license.html
http://download.java.net/jdk6/source/
Seeing as they do release the jdk 1.5.0 source code to some developers / researchers, it is very well possible they included the jre source aswell( it usually is ). This would still be difficult as you need to have reason to retrieve the source code, and hope there is the jre source inside. Not only that but you would then have to port it, which I'm sure isn't easy.

The possibility still exists.

You could even go as far as using one of the open source jre solutions, and try to make it work( http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ )

Edited by webhostbudd, 05 April 2009 - 05:59 PM.

RS Name:  Webhostbudd
Created: 12/07/2004
Last Active: 9/22/07
May be back sometime.
Level 106 for life.

#22 Zanith

Zanith

• RS Name:Zanithsrevel
  • RS Status:Inactive

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

View Postwebhostbudd, on Apr 5 2009, 11:59 PM, said:

http://java.sun.com/...ce_license.html
http://download.java.net/jdk6/source/
Seeing as they do release the jdk 1.5.0 source code to some developers / researchers, it is very well possible they included the jre source aswell( it usually is ). This would still be difficult as you need to have reason to retrieve the source code, and hope there is the jre source inside. Not only that but you would then have to port it, which I'm sure isn't easy.

The possibility still exists.

You could even go as far as using one of the open source jre solutions, and try to make it work( http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ )

Firstly the JDK is not a Virtual Machine.
Secondly, that link was to an open source compiler, again not a Virtual Machine.
Need I not cite Rule 4?

We're not looking for JAVA to work anyway, thequestion was would RuneScape work, even if on the very unlikely chance you got a Java VM to work, you've got to consider that RuneScape was designed for a desktop system...

RuneScape if at the VERY most will run, but it wont be playable.

#23 Webhostbudd

Webhostbudd

Computing CL

• RS Name:Webhostbudd
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Firstly, when did I ever say that JDK was JVM?
Secondly, gcj is a compiler as well as a plugin for open source runtime environments. I linked you to the compiler page, but this was actually what I wanted to send you. Granted, this isn't called gcj, but there is a gcj plugin that uses classpath. Not only that, but there are many other runtime environments as well.

I never said you would be able to run Runescape well or at all on the phone. I was just refuting the argument that it is impossible to get a runtime environment on the iphone or other mobile device.

And also, how do you know it was designed for desktop systems and not laptop or netbook systems?

Edited by webhostbudd, 05 April 2009 - 09:19 PM.

RS Name:  Webhostbudd
Created: 12/07/2004
Last Active: 9/22/07
May be back sometime.
Level 106 for life.

#24 Plate

Plate

Not a Dinner Plate

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

View Post3-M, on Apr 2 2009, 12:59 PM, said:

View Postwild to pk u, on Apr 1 2009, 07:41 PM, said:

Ds i no for fact you cant lol cause i own it and cant go to a browser like psp but sorry you cant play rs the only handheld devise that i know of is a labtop there are web books to not really sure if thats the name sorry to me a labtop is a labtop.

Cell phones i highly dought you can play rs on since it takes up alot of power and would overheat a ipod maybe that could go on internet dunno since i dont own one

I'm sorry, but I've got to say this - its Laptop.  With a P. Not a B.  It goes in your lap, not your lab.  You keep calling it a labtop and its been bothering me for awhile :thumbsup:

Anyway most hand held devices won't be capable of running Runescape, and even if they could it would be awkward because it relies so heavily on a mouse (which would be oddly simulated by a hand held, at best).

It is possible on a iPhone or Touch, but goes at 3fps and is uber arkward to use.

Posted Image

#25 Domino_Dice

Domino_Dice

Fan of π

• RS Name:Glimmergaunt
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

You can play on Iphones, but they have to be jail broken first, which is legal in sense and it safe (most of the time, if you read). Although it's crap and very hard to play.

Posted ImageRSN:Glimmergaunt

11 Years on Runescape

3 Year Zybez Veteran

PSN: Domino_Dice

EX-DJ Flame

Gobal Rules

Community Guide

LOOKING FOR C.O.D PLAYERS ON PLAYSTATION, MESSAGE ME YOUR PSN!

#26 Plate

Plate

Not a Dinner Plate

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

View PostRoy Mustang, on Apr 6 2009, 05:55 PM, said:

You can play on Iphones, but they have to be jail broken first, which is legal in sense and it safe (most of the time, if you read). Although it's crap and very hard to play.
No, I'm pretty sure iTunes programs can do it.
Though I've JB'd my Touch. Never looked back.

Posted Image

#27 Domino_Dice

Domino_Dice

Fan of π

• RS Name:Glimmergaunt
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

View PostiBetty, on Apr 6 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

View PostRoy Mustang, on Apr 6 2009, 05:55 PM, said:

No, I'm pretty sure iTunes programs can do it.
Though I've JB'd my Touch. Never looked back.

I couldn't install java until I'd jail broke it.

Posted ImageRSN:Glimmergaunt

11 Years on Runescape

3 Year Zybez Veteran

PSN: Domino_Dice

EX-DJ Flame

Gobal Rules

Community Guide

LOOKING FOR C.O.D PLAYERS ON PLAYSTATION, MESSAGE ME YOUR PSN!

#28 robbiethe1st

robbiethe1st

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

It sounds to me like in order to run the JRE, you need an X-86 or X-64 type processor. If you have one of those in your device(like in netbooks, PCs, laptops and some tablets), you can then run Runescape.

That being the case, it would seem that the -only- "handheld" option would be a table PC(essentially a laptop with no keyboard & touchscreen), and as those generally run Windows, I would bet that installing Java and running RS would be no problem.

-Robbie
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/signature/minimal_all/image.php/sig.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Left Handed | Retired from RuneScape | Proud Forum Tech for the Wilderness Guardians

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: