• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 couchou

couchou

No man's equal, no man's ally

• RS Name:Couchou
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

I searched, but couldn't find anything, if this has already been posted, sorry.  (I would assume someone has talked about this somewhere).

Anyways;

Hi, I'm here to talk about Revenants, and what they drop.  As you probably know, Jagex added them in to make sure that the wilderness remained a dangerous place, to ensure even the most battle-hardened warrior wouldn't get too comfy.  And they did well on that part, the wilderness is still a pretty dangerous place to be, I myself have been killed before by Revenants.  They are one of the most dangerous types of monster in the game.  Any revenant level 100+ is a machine, if it catches you off-guard it could kill you in seconds, not to mention they heal themselves, freeze you, can prevent teleporting, remove poisons from themselves, etc.  They are by far one of the hardest things I have ever fought in RS.

But there is one major flaw in them that I think needs to be corrected.  Specifically, what they drop isn't really balanced compared to how strong they are.  By fighting them, you are seriously risking all your equipment, often times it's the player that dies.  I've seen fully prepared level 100+ players get demolished by them, yet they usually drop almost nothing.  Once in a while, a player will get a valuable drop, but how many times would you have to kill one, and how many times would you have to risk your own equipment, to get that one rare drop? Quite a few times.

If Revenants are to replace players in the wild, jagex needs to remember something.  Players are worth fighting.  Sure, you risk your equipment, but the chance of getting someone else's was very real if you beat them.  There is a high risk of losing your things, but the reward potential is huge.  It is balanced, high risk, high reward.

But with Revenants, that simply isn't there.  What we have here is, high risk, and very low rewards.  If the wild is to be the awesome battlefield it once was, Revenants MUST drop items that make them worth the risk.  I'm not asking for a full dragon drop or anything, but maybe a rune item, or maybe some dragon weapons now and then, maybe once in a while a barrows item.  You know, stuff that players would have had.  They shouldn't drop full sets, that would be too much, but every time you kill a revenant, it should definitely drop something that made that fight worth it, that made the high risk of losing your equipment worth it.  As commented on, their drops shouldn't be too good, but they need to be much better than they are now.

TL;DR: Revenants need to drop something valuable all the time, not rarely.  It doesn't have to be a full set, it could be rune items, it doesn't have to be a dragon plate...but SOMETHING other than a few measly coins.  There is a happy medium that Jagex can easily find, that they are currently not at.

All constructive comments are welcome.  I also posted this on the Runescape.com suggestions forums, under Monsters and NPCs.

EDIT: Grammar fail.

Edited by couchou, 29 December 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Redshift

Redshift

• RS Name:Blueshift
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

To me, Revs weren't put in the game for their drops, rather, to (as you said) keep the Wilderness dangerous and nothing else. Not much else I can say, but I do feel their drops should be better for the trouble.

"Far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it.

Why do the poets of the present not speak of it?"

-Richard Feynman

#3 couchou

couchou

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

View PostRedshift, on Dec 29 2008, 04:27 PM, said:

To me, Revs weren't put in the game for their drops, rather, to (as you said) keep the Wilderness dangerous and nothing else. Not much else I can say, but I do feel their drops should be better for the trouble.

You are quite right, the original intend was NOT as something that could be hunted for potential profit.  However, I think it would make the wilderness much better place anyways if something could be earned, if one was willing to go through the risk, of fighting Revs.  The wild was once an epic battlefield, reduced to what we see now, very strong monsters to fight but they drop almost nothing.  I think it would be great to see people drawn to the wild as they once were, to test themselves against the Revs, and either lose it all, or win bigtime.  That's what the wild is supposed to be.

The wild has lost it's glory, this would help bring it back.

Edited by couchou, 29 December 2008 - 03:32 PM.

#4 With Honor

With Honor

Texas Is The Reason

• RS Status:Inactive

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

This is actually a completely reasonable suggestion, unlike many that get broached here in this forum. Why shouldn't Jagex increase the value of their loot? Perhaps not as good as you say, but they should to an extent, nevertheless. If they GUARANTEE at least a rune item, that's cimply too much. However, a compromise should be made between that and the current situation.
Several friends came to his grave.
His children were so well-behaved.
As the priest got up to speak, the assembly craved relief.
But he himself had given up.
So instead he offered them this bitter cup:
"You're gonna die - we're all gonna die.
"Could be twenty years - could be tonight.
"Lately I have been wondering why - we go to so much trouble
"To postpone the unavoidable - and prolong the pain of being alive."

---Some emo kid

#5 Bran

Bran

Yee

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, I agree.. The skill it takes to kill them is high, but the drops are horrible.. High skill low loot. I myself killed a team of 2 revnant dark beasts and got coins both times. (They're around lvl 130?)

So yeah, I support.

Edited by t3h nite, 29 December 2008 - 03:58 PM.

#6 Mitchartz

Mitchartz

• RS Name:mitchartz

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Why only change Revenants loot? I'm risking stuff by killing anything in the game, revenants weren't put in to replace loot from pking in the wilderness, they were put in to keep it dangerous.

Posted Image

#7 couchou

couchou

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostWith Honor, on Dec 29 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

This is actually a completely reasonable suggestion, unlike many that get broached here in this forum. Why shouldn't Jagex increase the value of their loot? Perhaps not as good as you say, but they should to an extent, nevertheless. If they GUARANTEE at least a rune item, that's cimply too much. However, a compromise should be made between that and the current situation.
Well, you may be correct, a guaranteed item might be a bit much.  Certainly the higher leveled ones should have decent drops as common, though.  But yeah, you're right, dropping, say, a Dragon 2h would be too much, but something should definitely drop of some worth every time.  Maybe arrows/runes of decent quantity, or just much more coins.  Thanks for the support anyhow!

View Postt3h nite, on Dec 29 2008, 04:58 PM, said:

Yeah, I agree.. The skill it takes to kill them is high, but the drops are horrible.. High skill low loot. I myself killed a team of 2 revnant dark beasts and got coins both times. (They're around lvl 130?)

So yeah, I support.
Thanks for the support!

#8 With Honor

With Honor

Texas Is The Reason

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostMitchartz, on Dec 29 2008, 03:00 PM, said:

Why only change Revenants loot? I'm risking stuff by killing anything in the game, revenants weren't put in to replace loot from pking in the wilderness, they were put in to keep it dangerous.

That's totally beside the point. The fact is, they are very challenging to kill, yet they drop next to nothing. Why is this? This is what must be changed. Do you get it now? Forget PKing and blah blah blah old news... the issue doesn't lie there.

---Some emo kid

#9 couchou

couchou

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

View PostMitchartz, on Dec 29 2008, 05:00 PM, said:

I'm not sure you read my post well.  Remember, Revenants are to replace players.  They are elite monsters, and have all the tricks a player has, teleblock, they hit VERY hard, can heal themselves, etc.  They are far superior over normal monsters.  They should have superior drops over other monsters for this reason.

Take a normal monster.
Give it all the utility a player has, as already mentioned.  Healing itself, teleblock, freeze, poison, etc.
Make it hit very hard.  A revenant knight can hit for 35, 27 with melee.
Make it able to instantly find you in the wilderness and possibly gang up with other Revs to decimate you.
...And you get a rough equivalent to a Revenant.

Also, the wild was a high risk, but high reward place - I could lose all my stuff right now, or I could make a good profit getting someone else's things.  That is what made it so glorious.  Simply being dangerous is still a complete disregard to what the wilderness once was, a place where people could earn a profit.  And as an oldschool player, I can promise you the current wilderness is a complete insult to what it is supposed to be, I never thought it would lose it's worth, but it has.

#10 ""Nanrevenge""

""Nanrevenge""

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Revenants do drop good stuff. Before the PvP worlds, there used to be Revenant drop logs on the official forums. If you smite the revenants, they won't protect their items, and you'll get better drops. However, since smite is not an f2p prayer, hunting them in f2p is almost useless.

#11 couchou

couchou

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

View PostNanrevenge, on Dec 29 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

Revenants do drop good stuff. Before the PvP worlds, there used to be Revenant drop logs on the official forums. If you smite the revenants, they won't protect their items, and you'll get better drops. However, since smite is not an f2p prayer, hunting them in f2p is almost useless.

Is that right? Hmm, that's interesting.  So are you guaranteed to get something more than a few coins if you kill one with Smite up the whole fight? How much of a difference does it make?

#12 With Honor

With Honor

Texas Is The Reason

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

View PostNanrevenge, on Dec 29 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

Doesn't mean Jagex can't bolster their "good item" rate somewhat... as of now, with smite, it's... well... pathetic in the least? It would turn them into an interesting foe as opposed to the current nuisance they seem to pose to most players...

If you have an excellent reason why making Runescape a little but more fun is still a bad idea, I'd love to hear it.

---Some emo kid

#13 couchou

couchou

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

View PostWith Honor, on Dec 29 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

View PostNanrevenge, on Dec 29 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

Doesn't mean Jagex can't bolster their "good item" rate somewhat... as of now, with smite, it's... well... pathetic in the least? It would turn them into an interesting foe as opposed to the current nuisance they seem to pose to most players...

If you have an excellent reason why making Runescape a little but more fun is still a bad idea, I'd love to hear it.

From what I understand, even with Smite......the drops from Revenants is still pathetic, you do hear about the rare person that got something good from them, but overall, their drops compared to difficulty is horrible.

Again, to anyone in doubt, I want to emphasise one thing: I am not interested in Revs dropping too much, it's just that they drop too little currently.  There is a happy medium, and we aren't there.

Edited by couchou, 29 December 2008 - 04:39 PM.

#14 Skeleton 444

Skeleton 444

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

They are like protectors of the wilderness and all the benefits and good drops you can get inside. End of story IMO.
Posted Image

#15 Invictus

Invictus

Official RSC Cynic

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

I suggest that the revs become a little more stronger, but make every single kill a good (or at least decent) drop. Maybe not so much for P2P as there are way too many overpowered weapons and armour, but definately for F2P, give them a taste at what its like to fight bosses. Possible drops include rune and rarely Corrupted Dragon.

Posted Image

The Noobs Website

Zezima watched a woman give birth. He asked her what her summoning level was..

Click here to LOL IRL

#16 couchou

couchou

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

View PostSkeleton 444, on Dec 29 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

They are like protectors of the wilderness and all the benefits and good drops you can get inside. End of story IMO.

Nope, because the wilderness was for fighting other players primarily.  What do you get fighting players? Their loot.  This was in addition to the other possible benifits and stuff inside.  So actually, the wilderness has still lost lots of it's value.

End of story, in my opinion.  See? I can unessecarily dismiss a debate as being won by me too.

View PostLilich Jr, on Dec 29 2008, 07:18 PM, said:

I suggest that the revs become a little more stronger, but make every single kill a good (or at least decent) drop. Maybe not so much for P2P as there are way too many overpowered weapons and armour, but definately for F2P, give them a taste at what its like to fight bosses. Possible drops include rune and rarely Corrupted Dragon.

That's an excellent idea.  Make them even stronger than they are now, maybe make it so they don't gang up on people so much, and make the drop guaranteed, like a rune item.  That's a fabulous idea.

good idea, i support and agree thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your support.

Edited by couchou, 29 December 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#17 Anti-Troll

Anti-Troll

永远

• RS Name:Drill Sarge

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

I absoluetlely 100% agree on that. I saw a person in Lumbridge celebrating over getting a Dragon Dagger from a Revenenant Dark Beast, but was killed afterwards. He kept the Drag Dagger but lost almost everything else, unless he was skulled and had the protect item prayer. Anyway, I just go to the Wilderness unarmed to unlock music tracks, and Revenants surely get in the way of that. I was looking for some loot (I needed some cash) at Rogue's Caslte (with nothing of course) and I pickpicketed a few rouges, and stole some gold ore. Then, a Revenent Icefiend came along, froze me, then killed me. I only kept 1 coin, 1 jug of wine, and 1 gold ore. I was a level 60 and he was only a level 43; UNFAIR!!!!! If I ever kill one I better get a Dragon Dagger or I'll never venture into the Wilderness aimlessly again!
-WickedSoul

您好! 我叫Anti-Troll。  我在美国出生,和在美国住在。 我是中国人!

继续做真实的自己。

Zybez Blogs Team Member

Proud Atheist

#18 Sycllo

Sycllo

• RS Name:Sycllo
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

I agree with this suggestion, I remember fighting revs that could withstand a pile of a some 100+ for a few minutes, nearly killing or successfully slaying some of the other people. Yet when it died, the drop was around 400 coins, which imo is pretty ridiculous. I also think it's good that you're saying they shouldn't drop full sets, that'd be too much.
Posted Image

#19 couchou

couchou

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostWickedSoul, on Dec 31 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

I absoluetlely 100% agree on that. I saw a person in Lumbridge celebrating over getting a Dragon Dagger from a Revenenant Dark Beast, but was killed afterwards. He kept the Drag Dagger but lost almost everything else, unless he was skulled and had the protect item prayer. Anyway, I just go to the Wilderness unarmed to unlock music tracks, and Revenants surely get in the way of that. I was looking for some loot (I needed some cash) at Rogue's Caslte (with nothing of course) and I pickpicketed a few rouges, and stole some gold ore. Then, a Revenent Icefiend came along, froze me, then killed me. I only kept 1 coin, 1 jug of wine, and 1 gold ore. I was a level 60 and he was only a level 43; UNFAIR!!!!! If I ever kill one I better get a Dragon Dagger or I'll never venture into the Wilderness aimlessly again!
-WickedSoul

Yes, they are extremely powerful, and definitely should drop much more than they currently do.  Thanks for your support.

#20 Itachi_in_a_can

Itachi_in_a_can

When Darkness Reigns, Get A Unbrella.

• RS Name:Niffer45
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

although there drops may be bad, they weren't made to make huge profits. they where made to keep you out of the wild. they where made so they might be almost unbeatable, not to be something that drops good items. the drops are suppose to discourage you from fighting them, and simply run. so no, the drops are good.

View PostWickedSoul, on Dec 31 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

-WickedSoul

See how revenenant ruined your wildy trip, stopped you from getting money? thats what PKers would do. thats why they were implemented.  they didnt want the wild to turn into a place you simply walk into worry free. and when you said it was unfair a level 43 killed you, its becuase reverants are suppose to be like pures. they are lvl 43 but can hit 20s.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: