* * * - - 3 votes

Access Fare

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

I was thinking about the discussion spawned by the recent Portable Ge topic, and tried to come up with something to fit the middle ground. Why not make the Grand Exchange accesible from all banks, but on a few conditions? To accomodate for this, each bank in RuneScape will have an additional member -- the Head of Staff. This will be the man/woman (the gender is randomised for each branch) you will have to talk to in order to get started with all this.
  • The HoS will preamble about how asking to sell/buy items is impractical if you are talking to him/her outside the Grand Exchange area.
  • Upon selecting the 'Sorry, but can you help me out?' option, the player gets a reprieve (note you won't have to go through this conversation again).
  • The HoS will [kindly] arange for the items/cash to be transferred to your account, but there is a time lapse in which the goods take to come, and a travel expenses fee.
Sounds alright for the moment? I'm sure many of you will be getting ready to moan about the aforementioned waiting period and all, but they're not too much of a big deal. Depending on what you're trying to do, of course... :suspect:
  • The travel expenses depend on the value of the item you want to buy/sell, and what you are doing to do with it.
  • If you're trying to make a very quick sale, then the fee is a 5% deduction off the money you gain through the transaction. So if the item you're trying to get rid of something which costs 10,000 coins, then the bank will take 500 gp as its due. Leaving you with 9,500 coins.
  • If you're desperate to buy something ASAP, then the bank will add 5% on to the costs of the item(s) in question. So if you're trying to purchase something for 10,000 coins, then the bank will ask you to pay 10,500 coins instead.
  • The time lapse period for the item(s)/cash to arrive will be of a pre-determined value. depending once again on the overall cost of the item(s) you are trying to sell, or those which you are trying to buy. If the goods cost 10,000 coins to buy/sell, then they will take 10 seconds to arrive. Logic being price divided by 1000. So really, this system works very well if you only need to get rid off/gain cheap merchandise. If you're trying to buy something like a party hat, then you'd probably be better off walking... Please note that this is added to the time already spent waiting for the actual goods to be bought/sold.
So that is just about it. Any comments as to how I could improve this? (You will be recognised appropriately) ^_^

[13/26] * [2,389/2595] * [135/138]
Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#2 Devin

Devin

SoTM.

• RS Name:Woodman1014
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

I still don't like this idea. A 10 second time period? That is nothing, really. A few minutes would be more acceptable, a 10 second time is me turning around in my chair 5 times. Even the price addition/subtraction is paltry. A larger sum needs to be in place. After all, transporting items to and from the G.E. should be no easy task. A 10% addition or subtation is better. There needs to be a larger sum so the G.E. still remains as a large trading ground.

Edited by MoneyMan, 21 December 2008 - 05:10 PM.

#3 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

View PostMoneyMan, on Dec 21 2008, 11:10 PM, said:

I still don't like this idea. A 10 second time period? That is nothing, really. A few minutes would be more acceptable, a 10 second time is me turning around in my chair 5 times. Even the price addition/subtraction is paltry. A larger sum needs to be in place. After all, transporting items to and from the G.E. should be no easy task. A 10% addition or subtation is better. There needs to be a larger sum so the G.E. still remains as a large trading ground.
There are still problems. In a few minutes (5 lets say), some people would probably be able to get to the Grand Exchange and do whatever they needed to anyway. If that is possible, no-one would use this feature as the fee would just be a burdening extra. I'm trying to help players, not to (in essence) give them another slap on the face.

Also, the same problem arises from a tax rate of 10%. If you're trying to buy something like a party hat, then you'd have to pay probably 20 million coins (assuming they are worth ~200 mill) more. A simply exuberant, impractical and ridiculous amount that would just be absurd. And again, no-one would want to use this feature.

I think the waiting period and additional extra rates are fine the way they are to be perfectly honest. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
“People are continually pointing out to me the wretchedness of white people in order to console me for the wretchedness of blacks. But an itemized account of the American failure does not console me and it should not console anyone else. That hundreds of thousands of white people are living, in effect, no better than the "African Americans" is not a fact to be regarded with complacency. The social and moral bankruptcy suggested by this fact is of the bitterest, most terrifying kind.”

#4 Devin

Devin

SoTM.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

View PostSatan Kid, on Dec 21 2008, 06:16 PM, said:

There are still problems. In a few minutes (5 lets say), some people would probably be able to get to the Grand Exchange and do whatever they needed to anyway. If that is possible, no-one would use this feature as the fee would just be a burdening extra. I'm trying to help players, not to (in essence) give them another slap on the face.

Also, the same problem arises from a tax rate of 10%. If you're trying to buy something like a party hat, then you'd have to pay probably 20 million coins (assuming they are worth ~200 mill) more. A simply exuberant, impractical and ridiculous amount that would just be absurd. And again, no-one would want to use this feature.

I think the waiting period and additional extra rates are fine the way they are to be perfectly honest. :rolleyes:

At a 10 second waiting period, who would go the G.E.? Nobody would. We would have the G.E. lose it's meaning because it would be almost deserted. If players could go to the G.E. quicker if the time was longer, good. That is what we want. The G.E. still needs to be a hub of trade and with this update it would no longer serve that purpose.

#5 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

View PostMoneyMan, on Dec 21 2008, 11:23 PM, said:

View PostSatan Kid, on Dec 21 2008, 06:16 PM, said:

At a 10 second waiting period, who would go the G.E.? Nobody would. We would have the G.E. lose it's meaning because it would be almost deserted. If players could go to the G.E. quicker if the time was longer, good. That is what we want. The G.E. still needs to be a hub of trade and with this update it would no longer serve that purpose.
I should have made this clearer.

The waiting period is added to the time taken for the goods to be sold/purchased. So if you just put up an offer to buy a rune scimitar for 30,000 coins, and have to wait 82 seconds, you will have to wait 112 seconds if you used the bank access feature. All clear now?

Posted Image

#6 Devin

Devin

SoTM.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

Oh alright, then that is fine. I thought you would get items instantly. Still not that big on the idea, and I wouldnt say yes to it, but I am not a crusader against it.

#7 nhp

nhp

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

The Grand Exchange is where everyone from teh land of RuneScape meets. Don't take teh meaning of it away. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

NEMI
۞Life's good۞

#8 Xahren

Xahren

• RS Name:Magic NPC
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:41 AM

It's not a bad idea actually, although not agreeing to it. What about if the bank you're using is further away from the ge then the time taken to deliver is longer?

#9 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

View Postnhp, on Dec 22 2008, 01:19 AM, said:

The Grand Exchange is where everyone from teh land of RuneScape meets. Don't take teh meaning of it away. :ph34r:
I'm not trying to. Thats why I added all the time lapses and fees for using this emergency method. If I was trying to take the meaning from the Exchange, I wouldn't have bothered to write up all this and instead I would have simply leant my undying support for the 'Portable Ge' suggestion. :rolleyes:

View PostXahren, on Dec 22 2008, 08:41 AM, said:

It's not a bad idea actually, although not agreeing to it. What about if the bank you're using is further away from the ge then the time taken to deliver is longer?
I actually did consider doing this believe it or not. When my exams are over, I am planning to divide the RuneScape map into various sections, and deducing how long the player should additionally wait for the items/cash depending on which zone they are in. But until then, I'm going to stick by the current system. :wub:

Edited by Satan Kid, 22 December 2008 - 06:37 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Purpka63

Purpka63

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

I'd rather just see a way to teleport to GE introduced, as it would quicken the buying/selling without sacrificing the whole "meeting place"/"trading pub" aspect of GE.  And besides, you can get back to nearly any bank in runescape within 30 seconds with the proper teleports.
The longest standing 'member' of RunescapeCommunity.

#11 Xahren

Xahren

• RS Name:Magic NPC

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

Purpka need a way to get to GE?
- Glory to edgeville then through the tunnel (21 agility)
- Spirit tree (tree gnome village quest)
- Varrock teleport (25 magic)
- Varrock tab (no levels required just buy from players)
- Skills necklace (teleport to cooking guild and walk north)
- Canoe to edgeville then tunnel (mimimum lvl 12 wc)
- Home tele to lumbridge then walk north to varrock
- Digsite necklace then walk west to GE
- Games necklace to either BH or clan wars then walk to GE
- Glider to varrock and walk there
- Use the skull sceptre to tele to barbarian village then walk

Hmmmm wonder how to get to GE....
The idea was that if you needed an item fast but didn't really want to go to GE to get like a few sharks or some arrow or runes, you jusy buy them quickly and get on with whatever you're doing.

Edited by Xahren, 23 December 2008 - 01:29 PM.

#12 Flava

Flava

Let's have a rooster fight without chickens

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:47 AM

View PostSatan Kid, on Dec 22 2008, 07:16 AM, said:

I think the waiting period and additional extra rates are fine the way they are to be perfectly honest. :thumbsup:

What I would say is add that 10% extra and add the few minutes - Any bank in Runescape is safe so there are no emergencies, except if your poisoned but this can be easily avoided. With a 10% tax and a few minutes waiting time, lazy player will probally use this, as if they are buying something of a low value and while waiting they can o some fletching or crafting, or basically whatever while waiting.

This will still keep the G.E a booming place but also allow an easier option where people can still use the G.E without moving.

Retired From >.> | Achievements CL | Radio DJ | Maintenance Crew | AotM Staff
Posted Image
My Goals & Achievements | 99 Woodcutting | 91/99 Strength (Topic)

#13 niksput

niksput

Niksput

• RS Name:Evil Crotch

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

This makes the game slightly too conveinient. If this is implemented it will make everything far too easy, e.g 'oh dear, forgot my hammer' would normally be a long trip back to the G.E to buy one, (unless ofcourse you have one banked) but now it would mean every item is at your fingertips whereever you are.

#14 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

View Postniksput, on Jan 10 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

This makes the game slightly too conveinient. If this is implemented it will make everything far too easy, e.g 'oh dear, forgot my hammer' would normally be a long trip back to the G.E to buy one, (unless ofcourse you have one banked) but now it would mean every item is at your fingertips whereever you are.
Well I'm just basing this on the idea of online shopping in real life. :-P Lets be honest, with the 'postal and packaging' percentage fee, no-one will use something like this to buy significantly priced items. Using your hammer example, this is to cater for exactly those predicaments. Cheap objects which you need ASAP, and are not afraid of paying a few gp extra. This isn't really for someone who goes, "Dam, forgot my ags, I think I'll quickly order one from the nearest bank and pay the hundred K/few million coins more." Not every item is at the tip of our fingers with thise feature.

Edited by Murdoc, 02 January 2011 - 04:24 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Wetai

Wetai

It's pronounced Wet-hey [without the h]

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Good idea, i can just now picture the situation for this:

im in relekka dungeon, my task is basilisks. i get to cockatrices and realise, ****, no mirror shield.

Oh yeah, ill just order one. Happy SLaying it would be :)
Ctcp (and sometime DCC) on SwiftIRC

#16 Voltaire

Voltaire

At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.

• RS Name:Frog255

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

A 1:1000 waiting period? What if you want to buy something for over 1mil? That would be over 1000 seconds (15 minutes+)

Proud November 2008 Poem of The Month Winner!

Formerly Plato

----
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

#17 Santa Kid

Santa Kid

One is an ordinary chap.

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

View PostPlato, on Jan 10 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

A 1:1000 waiting period? What if you want to buy something for over 1mil? That would be over 1000 seconds (15 minutes+)
Then you'd be better off actually going to the GE yourself. As I've stated multiple times, this feature is only intended to help people who need small, cheap items ASAP. Players don't tend to forget expensive/bulk items as commonly, those who do are in an overwhelming minority.

Posted Image

#18 Aragon

Aragon

That's Justice.

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

View PostSatan Kid, on Jan 10 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

View Postniksput, on Jan 10 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

In real life we have shopping catalogues, in RuneScape we have this.

Tell me, would you rather walk/drive all the way to your nearest supermarket, or buy the item online? In most cases, you'd most probably opt for the easy, online method. Hence using that logic, I thought it would be fun to have something like this ingame.
That is true, although it doesn't really apply in this situation, as the GE really isn't that hard to get to. In P2P all you have to do is get out your glory and run east a bit, and in F2P all you have to do is teleport to Varrock, and walk a bit north. It is a very well thought out idea, although I don't think we really need this.

And, as somebody pointed out, it would make Runescape too simple, or easier then it should be.

Edited by Aragon, 10 January 2009 - 05:23 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Ink

Ink

Simple, I wish

• RS Name:Inkyy

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

i think this is a good idea as it would be popular as some people arent always on regular spell books

Posted Image

#20 Deffingmage

Deffingmage

• RS Name:Pkersfortune

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

It would be way too convenient. Think of people who run supplies for money, aka smelters, tanners, spinners, etc. They would never need visit the GE again, and neither would alot of people, as it is rather out of the way unless you can teleport there.
"Friends are like radios; when you turn them on, they get really loud."
Courtesy of: My little brother. He still has no idea why I laughed so hard.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: