• 3.0 Strategy
    • 3.1 Game Mechanics
    • 3.2 Familiars
    • 3.3 Inventory
    • 3.4 Safespots
  • 4.0 Drops
  • 5.0 FAQ
1.0 [ Introduction / Disclaimer ]

The basic requirement to fight Tormented Demons is the completion of the Grandmaster quest "While Guthix Sleeps," and they can be found at the old Stone of Jas resting spot. There are 6 spawns waiting there in a multi-combat zone, to reach, you'll need a sapphire lantern [having more than one in your bank is recommended due to the possibility of death], and entering the Tears of Guthix chamber (with all the pretty flying blue light creatures), use the lantern on a light creature and select "into cavern." From there, head south and climb up the statues to the top skull thingy, and enter his mouth-cave [just like you did in the quest, but without the puzzle involved].

From there, head to the south east chamber where the Stone of Jas once was
Posted Image

Tormented Demons are level 450 and capable of using all 3 prayers, and all 3 styles of attack, capable of hitting up to 269 with magic and range, and 189 with melee, and will never have tolerance [will always be aggressive towards players]. In addition to the sapphire lanterns, you'll also need a darklight [covered in gear, reward from the quest "Shadow of the Storm, a prerequisite to While Guthix Sleeps]. They have a weakness to Stab and Crush attacks.

I'd like to say for the record, that there are a vastly finite number of ways to fight Tormented demons effectively, but I won't show them all. I'll be neglecting to show any method which involves Magic, as that requires a completely different set of armor and inventory, and I won't be able to show the steel titan method, owing to the fact I'm one summoning level short as of right now. If you think something might work better, then go ahead and try it and get back to me, for all I know it may be; if you're unsure of it, post your idea anyways and I can try it out and get back to you.

2.0 [ Gear ]
Please note that a Darklight is REQUIRED to effectively kill Tormented Demons, as are both a range and melee weapon aside from the darklight
I know the darklight sucks, but using a dragon defender in unison with it [and void melee helps as well] makes it quite a bit more accurate
Spoiler

Void Knight:
Spoiler

Magic Defense:
Spoiler

Mage/Melee
Spoiler

3.0 [ Strategy ]

The first thing you'll notice about tormented demons if you've tried fighting them already, aside from the fact they use protection prayers, is that they have this annoying fire barrier thing, which reduces damage by 75%
Posted Image

This is where the darklight comes in - one successful hit of the darklight will disable that annoying barrier for about a minute; however, there's a problem right off the bat - upon spawn, they pray melee. That's the catch, you'll need to force them to pray something else [in our case, range] before you can give the darklight a shot

3.1 - Game Mechanics:
Upon spawning, Tormented demons are always praying Melee, and will always use their Magic attack first. The demons will switch prayers to whatever they're being hit with after a total of 310 (or more) damage has been dealt to them. Each "miss" or hit below 20 life points will count as 20 of this 310 [ex: I could hit, 170 (+170), 0 (+20), 15 (+20), 100 (+100), totaling 310, causing the demon to switch his prayers]. While their barrier is up, what you "would have hit" has to total 310 for them to switch.

In order to take down this fire shield, one must first attack with range until the demon is no longer using the protection from melee prayer, and then switch to the darklight.

After (or maybe even during) this obstacle is being taken care of, you may notice the demons like to change their attack styles about 4 times per minute. This can be detrimental if you're bad at prayer-switching/paying attention, but otherwise fairly easy. They have 4 attacks total, three regular and one special.

Before a demon changes attack styles, he'll arch his back. It's at this time you should change your prayers. Using hotkeys [f1 and f3] to switch between the prayer screen and inventory screen is rather useful. Before doing his special attack, he arches his back and lets out a "roar," at which point I would suggest praying magic, as at least one of his two next attacks is guaranteed to be magic

Melee attack: Only happens when you're standing within melee range, can be mostly avoided by using a dragon halberd, although such method is much slower. This is his least threatening attack, with a max 80 points less than his range/mage attacks. Visually, he lunges at you, leaving a big scratch mark across your character; use protection from melee when this occurs.

Posted Image

Magic attack: Due to how magic damage is calculated, this attack is a pain - if the demon switches to his magic attack, there's no hope of blocking the first hit with prayer, as damage is calculated on cast. Having sounds on us crucial to not take more than one of these. Visually, he shoots a blob of fire

Posted Image

Range attack: This one is blockable on the first attack if you're quick with prayer and know what to look for. On the East side of the demon, if you see a column of brown shoot up, click on protect/deflect missiles immediately. Ranged damage is calculated as it hits you, so you don't have to take any damage from this attack in theory.

Posted Image
Posted Image
(the brown thing in question is above his left shoulder, directly above the lava rune drop]

Special attack, Multi-way magic: This can be kind of annoying, as it's completely random when they choose to launch this attack. Any time they switch attacks, there's a chance they let out a special magic attack which hits anyone in the area, meaning that if you're not paying attention, you could potentially take 3 attacks before you get your prayer switched properly [adding up to a maximum of 807 damage], but hopefully you're already praying one of the two types of attacks. Also note, the demon doesn't have to be in combat to launch this attack, and it CAN shoot over obstacles. Visually, it looks like a blob of fire.

Posted Image

3.2 Familiars
I personally prefer the Unicorn, which as a healing familiar, and with proper praying, can keep me at full hitpoints throughout my entire trip. If it's your first/second/etc trip down and you're not too confident, take less prayer potions and more rocktails as a backup. If you can't use the unicorn, try a titan [ice/lava] and titan's constitution scrolls. The bunyip won't be as useful here as on, let's say, slayer tasks, due to the nature of damage being received [a lot of it all at once, rather than spread out]. Supposedly the steel titan is fairly useful here as well; however, I am currently unable to try it out. I've never exceeded 80 scrolls with 2 familiars, but I usually bring 100 just in case.

3.3 Inventory
For a trip of a decent length, you'll want to consider certain items:
1.) Extremes/Super potions. I tend to use two Extreme Attack, Strength, and Range potion [I'm not a fan of overloads], it speeds up kills, especially killing the demon on the first barrier
2.) Prayer potions. You use a lot of prayer here, I tend to bring 7-8 prayer potions with a +26 prayer bonus. If yours isn't as high, consider bringing more prayer potions
3.) Alch Runes. A lot of rune items are dropped here which are better alched than wasting precious inventory space. Rune maces, square shield, and the like. See the drops section for a full list
4.) One-Click teleport. This kind of goes without saying. I use a tele-to-house tab, as it's near a summoning obelisk, alter, and teleport back to Lumberage
5.) Emergency food. I sometimes bring 1-2 rocktails with me just in case something goes wrong. I might consider more if using a halberd instead of the enchanted Excalibur, or if I'm laggy

3.4 Safespots
You'll have to trap one or two demons if you're the only one at a spot, but it's fairly easy. Just remember to pray magic when doing so.

Safe spot #1 - Along the North wall
Posted Image
Trap the East spawn in that little alcove first, or else he'll wander over

Sometimes the demon way way over to the west, where you first enter the cavern, can walk in on your fight. Should this happen, run north of the stones south-west of you and trap him behind those; once your kill is done, lure him to the west of that formation [very easy to do if that spot is open while you run to the north wall]
Posted Image

Safe spot #2 - Along the North wall
Posted Image
Trap the west spawn on the other side of the wall. Both the gap between the wall to the NE and the space directly north of the torch are safe spots, but can't be attacked from. I like to stand one space SW of the torch and call my familiar out next to me for healing, if and when it becomes required

4.0 [ Drops ]

100% Drop: Infernal Ashes

Other Drops:
Dragon Claws
Ruined Dragon Armor Slice
Ruined Dragon Armor Lump
Ruined Dragon Armor Shard
Dragon Medium Helm
Dragon Spear
Shield Left Half
Rune 2h
Rune Mace
Rune Sword
Rune Square Shield
Rune Battleaxe
Rune Spear
Rune Arrows (42)
Rune Chainbody
Rune Medium Helm
Rune Kiteshield
Adamant Battleaxe
Adamant Javelin (20)
Shark (5-15)
Super Defense Potions (1-6)
Prayer Potions (1-3)
Avantoe, Kwuarm, Ranarr, Toadflax, Watermelon, Dwarf Weed, Lantadyme, Snapdragon and Torstol seeds (1-2)
Bunch of crap seeds (1-10)
Assorted Herbs through Dwarf Weed (8-11)
Diamonds (3-5) noted
Adamant Bars (3-5)
All gems through Dragonstone
Rune Bar
Silver Ore (100)
Death, Law, Blood, Lava, Nature runes
Fire Talismans
Charms (3)
Effigies
Clue scrolls (Hard, Elite)
Coins
Half Keys

5.0 [ FAQ ]

Q: Does the Dragon Scimitar special attack work?
A: No.

Q: Does Veracs set effect work?
A: Yes, but good luck fighting it with that shield on the entire match

Q: How rare are claws?
A: 1 in 225-250, but it really depends on who you ask

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Q: How rare are lump/slice/shard?
A: 1 in 300-350. Yes, rarer than claws.

Guide Copyright Notice:
All Guides are Copyright © Zybez RuneScape Community Guides forum and the original author, 2001-2010+; All Rights Reserved.

All Guides submitted to Zybez RuneScape Community become property of the Zybez Guides forum. Use on any other website without the author's permission is PROHIBITED!

Edited by overvoltage, 20 February 2012 - 07:27 PM.

Comprehensive Guide to Waterfiends - Updated 1/20/12
Guide to Tormented Demons - Updated 1/20/12
Guide to Glacors - Updated 9/17/11

#2 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

View PostNewkronic, on Dec 6 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

Nice guide, i prefer a dragon hally so i don't get hit by any melee myself but your way works great as well. About those drop percentages, is that after jagex's update 2 days ago?
all my data and images [except for the d claws and dragon pieces] are from the last 16 hours
I didn't have 270 quest points before they updated Tormented demons, so my percentages are from my own experience and people I've talked to while I was there

#3 Ill_Knock0ut

Ill_Knock0ut

60 attack '07 zerker

• RS Name:Unholy Pope
  • RS Status:Oldschool

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

Well I plan to do these, but how to make like 38m junk so I can sell 'em for 40m?? (I need SGS)?
Good guide.

60/60 attack | 83/?? strength | 45/45 defence | 95/?? ranged | 94/?? magic | 52/52 prayer | 87/?? hitpoints | 198/240 QP | 85/?? combat
Fighter hat [X], Fighter torso [4X], Fire cape [X], Barrow gloves [X], Barrelchest anchor [X], Full void range/mage/melee [X], Berserker ring (i) [ ]
Posted Image

#4 Havoc Razor

Havoc Razor

Old School

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

How many can you kill per trip usually?

Edit: Oh, and I'd recommend a warning that people should have two sapphire lanterns in case they somehow die and need to make it back to their grave in time. They're not easy to get/make in time if you have a cheaper gravestone.

Edited by Havoc Razor, 15 December 2008 - 06:48 PM.

Posted Image

#5 17 0 m p

17 0 m p

• RS Name:17 0 m p
  • RS Status:Member
  • Clan:none

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

nice guide but can you help me..?
tormented demons got updated and i want to hunt D claws.
but they are now much stronger and i could kill 5-6 demons each trip,
could you give me some advice? or update the guide

Thanks ~~ 17_0_m_p

#6 xzpepijnzx

xzpepijnzx

Vegury's #1 fan

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Q: How rare are dragon shards/lumps/slice?

A: About as rare as a whip from an abby, in trip volume [two every three trips]

I can say with adamant security that this is not true...
It wasn't even true before the 'nerf' update, you better kiss your screen and sing praises because you were truly lucky...

Posted Image

#7 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

View Postxzpepijnzx, on Dec 18 2008, 08:04 PM, said:

Q: How rare are dragon shards/lumps/slice?

A: About as rare as a whip from an abby, in trip volume [two every three trips]

I can say with adamant security that this is not true...
It wasn't even true before the 'nerf' update, you better kiss your screen and sing praises because you were truly lucky...
everything I've done at tormented demons has been after the 'nerf update'
and I've changed my wording a bit, maybe now it's more clear :)

Edited by overvoltage, 19 December 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#8 vegury

vegury

Vince

• RS Name:vegury

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:49 AM

Maybe add how to get there? Many people will remember now because they just did the quest but some people might forget how to get to the dungeon.
Is the lantern only used to get there or do you need a light source while in the dungeon?
You could add spirit shields to the recommended shields.
Would taking Armadyl armour be good? I see you only listed it as a helm.
You could give some more information about the attacks. The max they can hit with it maybe? I was also wondering, aren't you save from their melee attacks in those spots?

Having your sounds on [not music] helps a lot in telling between the magic and range attacks
pray accordingly, the ONLY TIME THEY CAN SWITCH is when they switch overhead prayers, so when you see they switched overheads, click on your bow/whip and then open your prayer menu (f6) so you'll only have to take one of the new attacks.
Having your sounds on [not music] helps a lot in telling between the magic and range attacks.
Pray accordingly. The ONLY TIME THEY CAN SWITCH is when they switch overhead prayers, so when you see they switched overheads, click on your bow/whip and then open your prayer menu (f6) so you'll only have to take one of the new attacks.
You could add a note that all these methods are made after the Tormented Demon update.

A really good guide, makes me want to do While Guthix Sleeps as soon as possible. :-/

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

View Postdarkorc2323, on Dec 21 2008, 05:30 AM, said:

Good guide Voltage. Long time no talk. :)

Just curious, what exactly did Jagex change about the dungeon. I haven't heard anything about it.

Mod_Benny said:

We have made a couple of changes to the behaviour and drop tables of the tormented demons. Due to the layout of the area they are in, they didn't behave the way we had planned, and a knock-on effect of this was that they became a lot easier to defeat. We also made an error when we calculated how many demons players would normally be able to kill over a certain period of time, which resulted in the dragon platebody parts being dropped at a more frequent rate than we had intended. To fix these problems, and to balance the demons to our initial design, the following changes have been made:

The demons will behave more appropriately against Ranged and Magic attacks, and not try to use melee attacks if the opponent is attacking them from a distance.

The drop chances of the individual dragon platebody pieces have been reduced to give the drop rate we intended, considering the frequency at which they are killed.

#10 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

View Postaudroal, on Dec 22 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

Thanks, this guide inspired me to go to Demons again.. and I got Dragon Claws.  :)

Making junk is a pain.
:) had my sixth this morning
2 sitting in my bank now, gonna wait till the GE price rises enough that people start to trade 'em

#11 audroal

audroal

• RS Name:Audroal

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

View Postovervoltage, on Dec 22 2008, 10:48 AM, said:

View Postaudroal, on Dec 22 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

Thanks, this guide inspired me to go to Demons again.. and I got Dragon Claws.  :)

Making junk is a pain.
:) had my sixth this morning
2 sitting in my bank now, gonna wait till the GE price rises enough that people start to trade 'em

Nice, I think i'm going to do the same... just lend out claws for an absurd price that desperate people will pay for while killing more demons.  You might want to add a section or a sentence or two somewhere about the update to the demons where you often get 2 demons on you at the same time.  It's really annoying being halfway through a kill and having another demon waltz over and start maging.
Posted Image

#12 Mammoth

Mammoth

Hairy

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Question here: I'm 75 attack and strength, so my melee would'nt hit very good. So i thought that i could just bring like a dhally, and use that until they change to melee prayer then range again. Would that work any good you think?

Posted Image

Maxed melee-based Tank since 11-07-23 09:42:36 AM
Posted Image

| #Higher-Force | #Atlas | #Kiwi |

#13 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

View PostJeffreee, on Dec 22 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

Question here: I'm 75 attack and strength, so my melee would'nt hit very good. So i thought that i could just bring like a dhally, and use that until they change to melee prayer then range again. Would that work any good you think?
the dragon hally method no longer works, they'll still be able to hit you, and they'll unpredictably change their attacks if they can't hit you with all three [if you're not standing within a square of them], oftentimes they combo attack you, which can do a lot more than their normal attacks can.

#14 Chaos23456

Chaos23456

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

The game reacts to any damages being dealt to the demon when you have a Darklight equipped to remove the shield. I've had the demon's shield remove when my familiar inflicted a damage to it while I was equipping my Darklight, just to let you know. :)
Owner of an Agility Cape since August 8, 2008
-Quit-

#15 Mainly Blue

Mainly Blue

• RS Name:Mainly Blue

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

same is true if you'd rather attack with a whip, but it's much more tricky, as the whip is much faster.

I don't think this will work as the whole point of using the "Glitch" is to hit them when they have melee protect up, so the whip wouldn't work to well. And if they're not using melee protect why not just hit them with darklight plain?
Posted Image

Don't look to the right, there's a nub up there!

#16 Ajax

Ajax

Only The Good Die Young

• RS Name:Aj Blitz

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

Am liking your guide so far, couple things tho;
Some of the pics no longer work
and by the looks the pictures i can see, the killing spots are out of date.
Posted Image

#17 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

Moved to General Guides. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Lauren's partner in crime forever ♥
You don't really learn to appreciate the things you have until it's gone.

#18 C-C-C-P-Maul

C-C-C-P-Maul

• RS Name:C-C-C-P-Maul

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

great guide, i couldnt find a drop rate, idk if you even added one tbh
[size=3]40,349th to 99 Strength on C-C-C-P-Maul.[/size][size=3][url="http://apps.facebook.com/dopecity/hellYeah.php?o=721914834"]
[/url]
[/size][quote name='

#19 Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack

• RS Name:Wyatt Family

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

I wish i had killed them before jagex made the drop rates lower. Finally got my first drop, a slice after 400-500 kills

Posted Image

#20 overvoltage

overvoltage

Rawr

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

View Postdomonator009, on Dec 31 2008, 11:03 PM, said:

im fairly sure they change their attack styles out of synch with their prayer swapping, but it says otherwise in the guide :\
they're always within one attack of each other
you just have to damage them before they switch

if you damage them every hit, as soon as they change prayer they also change attack styles
otherwise there might be some delay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: