• 8.0 - Random Events
  • 9.0 - Rewards and Experience Rates
  • 10.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
  • 11.0 - Credits

i - Revision history
» 18/11/2008 - Began the Guide
» 19/11/2008 - Worked a little more
» 21/11/2008 - Worked on the Gear and Inventory section
» 24/11/2008 - Added in some more information in random sections.
» 11/12/2008 - Began the magic section

1.0 - Introduction
»

If you are low on some dough, and you need some more while getting a decent amount of money. If any of the latter applies to you, Ankous are the place for you. If you chose to use this guide, I assure you that I can help help you maximize your stay and help you reap the rewards Ankous offer. You can even train ranged effectively here! Many middle leveled, member, players often train at Ankous because of their high Blood and Death rune drop rate.

» Overview
---Where: You will be training in the Stronghold of Security, located with in the Barbarian Village, just south of Edgeville.
---How: By using Melee or Range to slay Ankous.
---Why: To gain experience and get a ton of cash off of their high Blood and Death rune count.

» Ankous
Hitpoints: 75-82-86
Max Hit: 8
Race: Undead
Members: No
Quest: No
Slayer Monster: No
Nature: Aggressive
Attack Style: Melee
Examine: A boney ghost.

Posted Image

Drops:
Keep
Up to You or you can Eat
Leave

Skull left half
Coins
Bones

Death runes
Law runes
Adamant arrows
Noted Mithril ores
Black robe
Uncut gems
Blood runes  
Noted Pure essence
Noted Rune essence (F2P Servers)
Black knife
Grimy herbs (Up to Ranarr)
Weapon poison
Fried mushrooms
Bass

Nature talisman
Watermelon seeds
Strawberry seed

Ranarr seed
Tarromin seed
Limpwurt seed
Wildblood seed

Battlestaff
Spirit Weed seed
Snapdragon seed
Half of a key
Shield left half
Dragon spear

Rune javelin
Clue scroll (level-3)

2.0 - How to Get There

This is your easiest part. Getting to the Ankous does not require any quests and it is not in some far off exotic location, it is located just south of Edgeville and just west of Varrock, in a town we all probably wasted time in as young players, the Barbarian Village. Once you are in the Barbarian Village all you need to do is go down into the cave in the center of the town and you are in the Stronghold of Security. If you haven't already made your way to the lowest level you'll have to find your way the mazes to get to the lowest level, but don't worry they aren't to hard and there are several guides which can make your trip so much easier.

Once you have made it to the lowest level, the Sepulcher of Death, or in layman terms The Rooms of Death, you should proceed to one of the spot shown in a map I have edited for you.
Also when at Ankous it can become quite crowded so you may have to hop around different worlds, don't curse or tell other players to hop just be the gentleman and do it yourself. Most likely you will find an even better world eventually.

http://harrypottermo...1227056864i.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A map showing you how to get to the Stronghold of Security

http://harrypottermo...1227056702n.jpg [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A map of the Sepulcher of Death

http://harrypottermo...1228448328m.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Just how Crowded it can get

3.0 - Gear and Inventories

When going to Ankous you don't over the top, expensive gear, rune armor will suffice. I HIGHLY suggest using a Salve Amulet or a Salve Amulet (e) which can boost your strength against undead creatures, Ankous, by 15% or 20% depending if your amulet is enchanted or not. Because the Ankous will rarely hit you if you have a high level defense and have a max hit of 8, rune armor will suffice. You can also use Bandos armor and a Dragonfire Shield to improve your defensive stats, though using Bandos armor requires more money than most armor sets. You may also choose to use Guthans  to heal yourself if you are low on health, even if you do use Guthan's, due to repair costs,with the amount of runes that drop you can still make a large profit.  

When using bones to peaches you will take a full inventory of food along with your bones to peaches tablets. These tablets can be bought at 1,195 coins at the time of writing this guide. Bones to Peaches is a very straightforward process, when you eat a piece of your food it is suggested that you collect bones to fill your inventory with. Once your inventory is full of bones, and you are completely out of food, click on your Bones to Peaches Tablet which will convert all of your bones to peaches. Peaches heal 8 health each and are not trade-able.

If you are using Ranged to kill Ankous, I suggest that you use your highest level dragonhide armor, an archer helm, archer ring, rune crossbow, and the bolts you feel like using. Ranging Ankous is very effective because they have such a low defense level and there are a few spots in which you can safespot them. When choosing to mage you should use mystic or Ahrims and the staff of your choice but I greatly suggest using an air staff as you will save the most money when using crumble undead.

http://harrypottermo...1227322226q.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Low Class Setup

Posted Image
High Class Setup

http://harrypottermo...1228094925g.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Low Class Range Setup

When I usually go to Ankous I usually take an inventory of Sharks, about twenty Bones to Peaches tablets. You could also take Lobsters instead of Sharks, and bring however many Bones to Peaches tablets you please. Though, if you are using Guthans to heal I do not suggest bringing Bones to Peaches tablets because there is really no point if you have armor that can heal you. I also suggest bringing one Death and Blood Rune along with you so you don't have to eat unneeded food to be able to pick up significant drops.

http://harrypottermo...1228344673z.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Inventory Set for those choosing to Melee

4.0 - Killing Ankous with Melee

Once you get to Ankous, it only gets easier, Ankous are, in my opinion, one of the easiest creatures to slay in the whole game. When killing Ankous with melee, I HIGHLY suggest using a Salve Amulet if you have one, though not necessary. To kill Ankous, go to your desired spot of training, I suggest using Spot One as it generally the best spot for killing them. Though this is the best spot for killing them, it can often be quite crowded so you may have to do some world hopping to find a world with a small amount of plays; but if you feel brave you can train in a PVP world but there is a chance you may be killed. Just begin attacking Ankous, and your on your way to becoming a master Ankou slayer!

http://harrypottermo...1228344875m.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Killing Ankous at Spot One

5.0 - Killing Ankous with Ranged

There are several safe spots in the lowest level of the Stronghold of Security which can be manipulated to easily kill Ankous and other monsters which haunt the area. If you are going to range Ankous I suggest a level of 60 or higher, but 70 or higher is greatly recommended because you will be able to kill the Ankous much easier. There are two main safe spots which I suggest using, one is located at Spot One and the other is located at Spot Two.

http://harrypottermo...1228095100s.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

Safe Spot in Spot Two

http://harrypottermo...1228448792u.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Another Safe Spot at Spot One

http://harrypottermo...1228585526u.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
The Most Popular Safe Spot Located at Spot One

6.0 - Killing Ankous with Magic

Killing Ankous with magic isn't the best method but it is doable. If you are using magic to kill Ankous I HIGHLY suggest using the spell Crumble Undead to kill Ankous. Jagex states that Crumble Undead hits skeletons, ghosts, shades, and zombies hard. It just so happens that Ankous basically fall into all of those categories except shades. You can also you Ancient Magicks here using the Death and Blood runes you get as your drops to fuel your spells. Crumble Undead's max hit is 15 which is much lower than melee or range but it is still manageable to do.
All safe spots used for Ranged can be used for Magic unless you are using any of the ice spells from the Ancient Magicks spell book. If you are on Ancients and using an ice spell you can freeze your opposer and merely walk a few steps away and kill your opponent without taking any damage.

7.0 - Summoning

Since the release of summoning, players have been searching for ways to use their summoning creatures to help benefit them in their everyday activities. Choosing to use summoning while at the Ankous is an excellent decision because you will be able to maximize your stay. If you are using summoning, I suggest using it with every method other than the Guthan's method. If you choose to use summoning to help heal there are several monsters which will benefit you. I will go into certain summoning creatures more in depth in my next part of this section.

Unicorn
Summoning Level: 88
Why it is Useful: The Unicorn is, without a doubt, one of the most useful summoning creatures in the game. The Unicorns scroll, Healing Aura, heals 15% of your hitpoints. This means while training if you are low on hit points all you have to do is activate one your scrolls for your Unicorn to heal you.

Fire, Ice, or Moss Titan
Summoning Level: 79
Why it is Useful: The Titans are one of my favorite summoning creatures, probably because of its special abilities and its power when fighting other monsters. The Titan's Scroll, Titan's Constitution, boosts your defense and hit points by 12.5% when you activate a scroll. If you are using a Titan you should almost never be in a risky situation because of low hit points.

Bunyip
Summoning Level: 68
Why it is Useful: The Bunyip will heal you everything 15 seconds giving you 2 hit points per heal. This means that in one minute you will gain 8 hit points, most high leveled players will be able to to keep their hit points at their max hit points due to their higher defense level.

http://harrypottermo...1228347985e.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A Player using a Bunyip to Heal

Void Spinner
Summoning Level: 34
Why it is Useful: The Void Spinner has the same effect as the Bunyip but it is not as effective. The Void Spinner heals 1 hit point per every 15 seconds, this means that every minute you will gain 4 hit points. Players with a high defense level will probably be able to keep their hit points at, or near their max hit points level.

8.0 - Random Events

One reason I really enjoy training is because of the amount of Random Events I can get per trip, specifically the Maze event which you can get tons of runes and arrows off of. Some people find Random Events to be nuisances, but I find that I can reap the rewards of certain events while at the Ankous. One tactic I have found that is useful for increasing my amount of random events is burying a bone every 10 or so minutes, if you get the Maze event often you can send the amount of money you make per trip skyrocket!

http://harrypottermo...1228345630u.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
Captured by Molly

9.0 - Rewards and Experience Rates
Ankous have amazing drops for their level, and give pretty good experience per hour rates!

http://harrypottermo...1228358204q.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A Trip at the Ankous

http://harrypottermo...1228526698g.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A Trip at the Ankous

http://harrypottermo...1229140703n.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]
A Trip at the Ankous

Experience Rates:

A trip done by: Blt2121
1604708- 7:30pm Started recording at this time
1633990- 8:30pm 29,282 Strength Experienc gained for first hour
1673662- 10:00pm (missed the half hour mark)
1700382- 11:00pm (got very busy) 26,720 Strength Experience gained
1725870-12:00pm (still quite busy, also kept losing focus during mime random so i was in it for about 5 minutes) 25,488 Strength Experience gained

10.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I am doing a slayer task here, can I use both a Slayer Mask or Helm and a Salve Amulet for an even larger stat bonus?

» A:
No only one them will work, if you have a slayer task here I would suggest that you stick with your trusty Salve Amulet.

11.0 - Credits
Contributor's name: Contribution

Guide Copyright Notice:
All Guides are Copyright © Zybez RuneScape Community Guides forum and the original author, 2001-2010+; All Rights Reserved.

All Guides submitted to Zybez RuneScape Community become property of the Zybez Guides forum. Use on any other website without the author's permission is PROHIBITED!

Edited by Aragon, 19 June 2010 - 12:44 PM.

[center]Posted Image
[color="#000000"]

#2 L-Delta-L

L-Delta-L

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:40 AM

Looks good, you should add a few more setups though.

Good job  :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

R.I.P durial: we will never forget you for what you did, greatest pker ever

R.I.P the old nite: gone but never forgotten

http://runepixels.co.../lmaoLvl126.gif [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.]

#3 piktaz

piktaz

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

att xp/hour there
str xp/hour there
?

Retired from anime & Gfx
Posted Image
Posted Image
Links

#4 Maxman

Maxman

I Know You

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Another fantastic guide by John; awesome! This guide, so far, is a very well-written guide. For a little more improvement, I suggest that you add links to the items they drop. Also, I suggest that you write down what your outfit and (and when you add the inventory) inventory is, to make it a lot easier. You should also add links to them, too (from Zybez, of course).

FAQ: Is this one of the best methods to fighting in RuneScape in Free-to-play? Pay-to-play?

Good luck, man. :thumbsup:
Retired from RuneScape | 99 Cooking | 99 Fletching | 99 Fishing | Quest cape
Posted Image- Feel free to PM Me
- Retired Zybez RS Database/Maintenance Crew
- Ex-CL of Guides
- Ex-CL of General Discussion

#5 John K

John K

Noobasaurusrex

• RS Name:Strange G0d
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

View PostMaxman, on Nov 22 2008, 01:39 PM, said:

Another fantastic guide by John; awesome! This guide, so far, is a very well-written guide. For a little more improvement, I suggest that you add links to the items they drop. Also, I suggest that you write down what your outfit and (and when you add the inventory) inventory is, to make it a lot easier. You should also add links to them, too (from Zybez, of course).

FAQ: Is this one of the best methods to fighting in RuneScape in Free-to-play? Pay-to-play?

Good luck, man. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I really appreciate it, I'll try and work on some of the things you suggested.

John K.
[center]Posted Image
[color="#000000"]

#6 Nicklin

Nicklin

just give me one night in ibiza

• RS Status:Retired

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

Great guide, I hope to use it myself in the future.
Just a few questions/ suggestions:
You could include if you want a very quick way to get to Barbarian Village is that you can use a Skull Sceptre, which can be used 5 times to teleport there. However with it only being usable 5 times it may be unecessary and use up an extra spot in your inventory which could be better used for some food.
On your map of the Sepulcher of Death maybe draw some lines which show how you get to each spot.
Any reccomended stats for training here? And how much exp on average you get per hour/ per trip? How long does a trip usually last and how much profit do you make per trip?
And finally is it possible to use other Barrows armours, not just Guthans, while training here? Or is it not worth it because of the recharge cost?

E: Typos.

Edited by rock ne93, 22 November 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#7 John K

John K

Noobasaurusrex

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

View Postrock ne93, on Nov 22 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Great guide, I hope to use it myself in the future.
Just a few questions/ suggestions:
You could include if you want a very quick way to get to Barbarian Village is that you can use a Skull Sceptre, which can be used 5 times to teleport there. However with it only being usable 5 times it may be unecessary and use up an extra spot in your inventory which could be better used for some food.
On your map of the Sepulcher of Death maybe draw some lines which show how you get to each spot.
Any reccomended stats for training here? And how much exp on average you get per hour/ per trip? How long does a trip usually last and how much profit do you make per trip?
And finally is it possible to use other Barrows armours, not just Guthans, while training here? Or is it not worth it because of the recharge cost?

E: Typos.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, when ever I can, I'll begin to update with some of these suggestions.

John K.
[center]Posted Image
[color="#000000"]

#8 Veng Barrage

Veng Barrage

F2P Tribrid

• RS Name:Veng Barrage
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:54 AM

decent guide, but for high class use salve amulet (e) instead of fury because they're undead.
'09- The year of Global Maturity Crisis

#9 Reece^

Reece^

What is going down.

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:24 AM

View Post~Ice Veng~, on Nov 25 2008, 05:54 PM, said:

decent guide, but for high class use salve amulet (e) instead of fury because they're undead.

Ice Veng is right.
Add the Salve amulet (e) in to make the guide that 1 extra bit better.
But you can add it into low class aswell.

#10 John K

John K

Noobasaurusrex

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

If you would have read the guide, which I'm guessing you didn't, you would notice that I wrote about the salve amulet within one of my sections.

John K.
[center]Posted Image
[color="#000000"]

#11 desqueek

desqueek

• RS Name:desqueek

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:46 AM

I camp out down here quite a bit. I find taking Nature runes, a mud staff and a fire staff works well.

These drop quite a few battlestaffs that are worth alching and the mudstaff is for bones to peaches, both use Nats. This spot is not the best strength training but you make a reasonable amount of cash over time.
I use the salve ammy(e) and super strength pots, drink a pot when they go aggressive or after a random event.
The skeletons are weak to crush attacks and the ankous are weak to slash attacks, switching between the two styles is worth doing when they are aggressive.

These are perfect training for a sara sword.

I would tend to avoid the area with the ghosts and the low level ankous. The ghosts hit fairly consistently and their combat lvl to hitpoint value is too close to make them good training. The low lvl room is always packed, unless you go pvp and you will be attacked in there.

Good guide !

#12 dylan.sam0

dylan.sam0

• RS Name:dylan.sam0
  • Clan:none

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:52 AM

pretty nice guide, but you should add some things such as: how many xp an hour, stuff for newbies etc.
Posted Image

#13 AGS Lover

AGS Lover

highly illogical.

• RS Name:Submersion
  • Clan:None

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

I would add an inventory picture, and make sure you say to "pot it up", it really helps.  Oh, and in the high level setup, why did you have a fury? :thumbsup:  also, make sure you point out that the both salve ammys give the same attack and strength bonuses.  Meaning, that they help attack as much as they help strength.

#14 rahmen

rahmen

• RS Name:rahmen2

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Add some exp/hr rates, for both melee and range. Also add that a sara sword is great down there. But overall, good guide!
Posted Image
Barrows drops: Ahrim skirt, Dharok plate, Guthan skirt(2), Ahrim Hood, Karils top, Torag plate
GWD drops: Shard 2, Shard 3(2), Shard 2
Other drops: obsidian cape, rune full helm, white mystic hat, mithril boots

#15 John K

John K

Noobasaurusrex

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

View Postdylan.sam0, on Dec 1 2008, 09:54 AM, said:

nice guide, but leaving limpwurt seeds isn't a really got idea in my opinion thou

All right, I'll change it to pick it up if you want it, but I didn't suggest picking it up because you aren't mainly down there for seeds.

View Postrahmen, on Dec 2 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

Add some exp/hr rates, for both melee and range. Also add that a sara sword is great down there. But overall, good guide!

I'm going to, but I haven't gotten that far into my guide yet.

John K.
[center]Posted Image
[color="#000000"]

#16 rubqui

rubqui

Jessica <3

• RS Name:rubqui
  • Clan:Clanless

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

Not to difficult to kill them, but you get some nice rewards of Ankous.

But it's a very well worked out guide, congratz!
This belongs in General guides. :thumbsup:

#17 LupZu

LupZu

• Clan:None.

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Well set out guide, you need to add XP/per hour, and it would be helpful for a picture of your suggested invent.

Edited by LupZu, 02 December 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#18 John K

John K

Noobasaurusrex

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

View Postrubqui, on Dec 2 2008, 04:28 PM, said:

Not to difficult to kill them, but you get some nice rewards of Ankous.

But it's a very well worked out guide, congratz!
This belongs in General guides. :thumbsup:

Thanks! But there is still a lot of work I can to do to make it a much better guide!

View PostLupZu, on Dec 2 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

Well set out guide, you need to add XP/per hour, and it would be helpful for a picture of your suggested invent.

Yea there are still a few areas in which I can improve, and I know I do still need to add a few pictures here and there.

John K.
[center]Posted Image
[color="#000000"]

#19 One Defense

One Defense

• RS Name:9mic H Ael6
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

John. Nice guide. But for some reason, you aren't acknowledging the lvl 82 skeletons in a small enclosed space right by spot two :O better do so. Bring B2P and you are set

#20 D e r e k

D e r e k

Zybez Content Team

• RS Name:Wicked Sins

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

Great guide. The exp/hour needs to be added, as others have said.

I am constantly training there. I will probably be able to figure out the exp/hour for melee if you would like. Never ranged down there as there are better spots to do that though.  I could probably also do GP/Hour if you would like.

But awesome guide.

Posted Image
[-Private Message me with any Questions/Concerns-]
[-Zybez Content Team / Ex-Zybez DJ-]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: