Answered

differentiation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mahmoud

Mahmoud

What you dislike in another take care to correct in yourself.

• RS Name:99 at Life
  • RS Status:Member

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:33 PM

Okay, well I've been working on these differentiation world problems all day and I have gotten every single one of them write. So, I know how to do these problems but this problem just blew me away.

A boat is pulled into a dock by means of a winch 12 feet above the deck of the boat (see figure).
The winch pulls in rope at a rate of 4 feet per second. Determine the speed of the boat when there is 13 feet of rope out. What happens to the speed of the boat as it gets closer to the dock?

Note: I will be looking for a picture of the figure online so that I can post it here.

Can somebody please explain how to work this problem or at least provide me with the formula I should use?

Edited by Mahmoud, 14 October 2008 - 03:44 PM.

http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Mahmoud360.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Retired from Zybez Maintenance Crew
Retired CL of General Discussion
Retired Senior Member
May 2008 Motm | August 2008 Motm
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

#2 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:No1 1000
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

oh, smeg... I need to learn how to do these sorts of problems for a calculus test tomorrow.

I'll see if I can do anything with it. :wub: Can't guarantee I'll be of any help even if I do get it figured out, though.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams [Confirmation Bias]

#3 Invictus

Invictus

Official RSC Cynic

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

View PostMahmoud, on Oct 9 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Okay, well I've been working on these differentiation world problems all day and I have gotten every single one of them write. So, I know how to do these problems but this problem just blew me away.

A boat is pulled into a dock by means of a winch 12 feet above the deck of the boat (see figure).
The winch pulls in rope at a rate of 4 feet per second. Determine the speed of the boat when there is 13 feet of rope out. What happens to the speed of the boat as it gets closer to the dock?

Note: I will be looking for a picture of the figure online so that I can post it here.

Can somebody please explain how to work this problem or at least provide me with the formula I should use?

Not quite sure on how to do this using differentition, seeing as what you are given is the velocity. I'm quite certain this is an integral question.

Posted Image

The Noobs Website

Zezima watched a woman give birth. He asked her what her summoning level was..

Click here to LOL IRL

#4 No1

No1

Disaster Control Ward

• RS Name:No1 1000
  • Clan:Zybeznet

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

View PostLilich Jr, on Oct 9 2008, 10:50 PM, said:

View PostMahmoud, on Oct 9 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Not quite sure on how to do this using differentition, seeing as what you are given is the velocity. I'm quite certain this is an integral question.
Rates of change.

It isn't.

e: I got 8. :wub: [8 what, you ask? I dunno.]
e2: wait, yeah, I did a couple things wrong.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and
naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

- Douglas Adams [Confirmation Bias]

#5 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

I think I'll need a picture to confirm, but I'll try to answer it anyways.

Think of it like a right angled triangle. The hypotenuse is the length of the cable. The height is 12ft, which remains constant throughout. Then comes the horizontal distance (from the dock to the boat), which also changes.

Now, you know that z^2 = x^ + y^2 (where x is the horizontal distance, y is the vertical distance, z is the length of the cable. Not that y^2 is constant).

Differentiate the above in terms of TIME.
2z*dz/dt = 2x*dx/dt + 0 (as per chain rule). The 0 comes from differentiating a constant.

You know dz/dt = 4ft/s. You know z = 13ft. You know x (you can calculate it when z = 13, y = 12, using pythagoras). The only thing you don't know is dx/dt, which is what you want to find.

Classic related rates problem.

e: I assumed that it looks like a triangle, but I would like a diagram to confirm. You should just draw it on ms paint, roughly, I don't need an exact one.
e2: oops, mixed up horizontal and vertical.

Lauren's partner in crime forever ♥
You don't really learn to appreciate the things you have until it's gone.

#6 Mahmoud

Mahmoud

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:43 PM

View PostRashdan, on Oct 10 2008, 12:25 AM, said:

I think I'll need a picture to confirm, but I'll try to answer it anyways.

Think of it like a right angled triangle. The hypotenuse is the length of the cable. The height is 12ft, which remains constant throughout. Then comes the horizontal distance (from the dock to the boat), which also changes.

Now, you know that z^2 = x^ + y^2 (where x is the horizontal distance, y is the vertical distance, z is the length of the cable. Not that y^2 is constant).

Differentiate the above in terms of TIME.
2z*dz/dt = 2x*dx/dt + 0 (as per chain rule). The 0 comes from differentiating a constant.

You know dz/dt = 4ft/s. You know z = 13ft. You know x (you can calculate it when z = 13, y = 12, using pythagoras). The only thing you don't know is dx/dt, which is what you want to find.

Classic related rates problem.

e: I assumed that it looks like a triangle, but I would like a diagram to confirm. You should just draw it on ms paint, roughly, I don't need an exact one.
e2: oops, mixed up horizontal and vertical.

Ah okay, got it. Thanks a lot. And, by the way, the diagram was a right triangle :wub: and exactly how you explained what you thought it would look like.
One question comes to mind though. Why did the y become 0?

Edit: Wait, I think I got it. Is it because when you plug in 12 for y, you get 144. Then the derivative of 144 is 0. Is that right?

Edited by Mahmoud, 10 October 2008 - 03:44 PM.

http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Mahmoud360.png [Image blocked; please upload it at an approved host.] Retired from Zybez Maintenance Crew
Retired Senior Member

#7 Rashy

Rashy

• RS Name:Rashdan
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

Basically, yeah. Differentiate any constant and you get 0. You don't even have to do y^2 first in order to see that. if y is constant, so is any power of y, or any root (sqrt, cuberoot, etc) of y.

Lauren's partner in crime forever ♥
You don't really learn to appreciate the things you have until it's gone.

#8 Mahmoud

Mahmoud

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

Okay. Thanks for the help. :wub:

Edited by Mahmoud, 10 October 2008 - 11:01 PM.

Retired Senior Member

#9 sozo91

sozo91

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:16 PM

Alright. I don't have a calculator, but I have the concept.

Let's call the length of the rope s, the height y, and the distance from the pier or w/e x. We have s^2 = y^2 + x^2.

Then 2s ds/dt = 2y dy/dt + 2x dx/dt. What we want to find is the speed of the boat, which is dx /dt.

We know ds/dt = 4 ft/s, y = 12 feet, and s = 13 feet. Then x must be equal to (13^2 - 12^2) ^ 1/2 = 5 feet.

Plugging back in, we have 2 (13) * 4 = 2 * 12 * 0 + 2 * 5 *dx/dt.

Consequently, dx/dt = 2* 13 *4/ (2*5) = 13*4 /5 = 10.4 ft/s

I'll try to make a diagram.

No, nvm it did not work.

Edited by sozo91, 13 October 2008 - 02:19 PM.

Quit runescape (not you, me)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: