1.0: Introduction
--> 1.1: Why to train on Cave Horrors?
2.0: Requirements
3.0: Equipment and Locations

--> 3.1: What shall I bring?
--> 3.2: How do I get there?

4.0: Tactics
5.0: Final Words

Axe Zye guides are copyrighted by Axe Zye and may not be posted anywhere. Having these guides is a privilige, not a right, no claims can be made upon it now or ever

Posted Image

1.0: Introduction

Why hello there Runescaper!
Are you looking for a new monster to train on? Perhaps a monster that isn't all that known right now, and a monster which, except from good xp, gives you an entire range of rare and good drops to fill your pockets with, not to mention a decent amount of charms.
What if i would tell you that i knew of such a training spot, and you

I am speaking of course of the Cave Horror, a creature that resides in the remote dungeon on Mos le'harmless (It's a Joke by Jagex you see...). It is pretty hard to get to, but provides a spacious and quiet training spot for you to camp in. It has alot of drops and xp so you won't go bored. It isn't as great for afk training, but awesome for all the rest

I should tell you right now the specs about Cave horrors, so you know what i am talking about:

The Cave Horror:

Combat Level: 80
Hitpoints: 55
Appearance: A large monkey-shaped creature with a scary black masks to cover its face.
Requires: Slayer level 58 to kill
Attack Styles: A magic-based melee attack along with a 'screaming' attack, being quite vicious if you forgot your witchwood icon!

Cave horrors live in a dark cave so shall need to bring a lantern!

Drops: Always Big bones
Herbs, Seeds (Herb seeds toadflax+), Teak and mahogany logs, Several Alchables (mithril kite, addy full helm, rune dagger, etc.), Clue scrolls (Lvl 3), Nature Runes, Prayer back (several bones and big bones), Black Mask(10) and a few charms.
Your mayor income is going be from herb seeds, Nats, The masks and the clues. This drop list is incomplete but it covers anything that is importnant

So let us move on...

Note: If you find any spelling mistakes in this guide, you are allowed to keep them...

1.1: Why to train on Cave Horrors?
There are several reasons to train on cave horrors, as well as several reasons not to. I am going to try to lay out the pros and cons of this training spot as best as possible:

Pros:

Cons:

* They drop Black Masks, a desired drop worth about 500K or more!

Black Masks are pretty rare, but still worth it!

* They drop ALOT of Clues!

The XP is not optimal, but do not think that it is bad!

*They die quickly due to their low HP, giving you even more drops!

They can hit pretty often when you are using melee!

* They drop alot of seeds, including alot of herb seeds (always toadflax or higher).

They have alot of requirements to kill, lots of quests and not least 58 slayer!

*There are alot of beasties and the spot is often crowded

They have a big respawn time, you might want to use the busier worlds

Well the layout of this RSC forum could be better, but you have all seen my point. A large XP rate (bestible only by a select few spots, like spirit warriors) and alot of drops and clues make this spot one of the best places in RS to camp. Alot of people do not know or bother about it, because it is out of the way, tedious to get to and has alot of requirements in order to obtain access to it. All the better for you! You have the information now, so it is time for action!

Posted Image

2.0: Requirements

Well let's be quick about this!
What is needed to access Cave Horrors:
- 58 Slayer
- Completed Cabin Fever

Now if you have both of these there is no problem. If you do not have completed cabin fever, I can present you a complete list of quests, subquests, and skills you shall need in total in order to reach this beautiful training spot:

- Cabin Fever
- Rum Deal
- Pirate's Treasure
- Zogre Flesh Eaters
- Jungle Potion
- Big Chompy Bird Hunting
Level 42 Agility
Level 30 Cooking
Level 45 Crafting
Level 8 Herblore
Level 40 Farming
Level 50 Fishing
Level 30 Fletching  
Level 47 Prayer
Level 40 Ranged
Level 42 Slayer (Obviously 58 For Horrors, 42 for the quest)
Level 50 Smithing
Level 20 Strength

Some list eh? Most of these are mediocre skills and you will probably have alot of them already. If you're not there yet, do not give up hope! I once had to get all these skills and quests too for Cave horrors, and I do not resent it one bit: It really is an awsome spot!

3.0: Equipment and Locations

3.1: What shall I bring?
Ahh... Allow me to present you: An equipment image!
Posted Image

As you can see things are pretty straightforward: For ranged, you can bring a standard ranging equip: Focus on as much offense as possible! Have range boots? Go ahead and bring them. Get as much attack as you possibly can of course. But for melee, you may need quite a bit of defense as well!

A few notes on this equipment that I feel I need to discuss are:
- Bring the witchwood icon (Avalible at your local slayer master) to not get completely pwned by the Cave Horrors' magical roar! Remember that one
- Knives are better than Bows to attack cave horrors, and crossbows are absolutely not recomended. Because
- A lantern and tinderbox are required to enter the cave horror dungeon! Without, it'll be far too dark and you'll get eaten by bugs!
- Melee'rs may want to bring more food than the inventory image shows.
- Cave horrors use a magic-based attack, so armour with high magic defense is preferred.
- In the FAQ (Located in section 5) I shall present you with the choice to use void ranged: I have run some tests on cave horrors that you might find interesting.
- I suggest a whip over jokes like a godsword because the cave horrors do not have that high a defense, and whip clearly is the most damaging weapon for this specific beast.
- Buynips and beasts of burdens are always welcome! (Buynips will pretty much void all the damage done by cave horrors).
- Meleeers may want to consider bringing more food. Rangers won't need too much.

3.2: How do I get there?
There are two ways to reach Mos le'harmless
1. Use the ectophial to teleport to Mor'ton, and talk to Bill teach there to obtain a ride to the pirate town
2. Simply charter a ship whereever possible (Shall cost you some geepees) and ride straight to the idyllic pirate bay.

From there, you can proceed to the Mos Le'Harmless dungeon!
http://www.zybez.net...sleharmless.htm
Read this Zybez city guide for a map of the island and you'll be up to the dungeon in no time!

This is how the dungeon entrance ought to look like (if it doesn't you messed up):
Posted Image

4.0: Tactics

Posted Image

Here I present you a map (Edited from Zybez map to the cave horror dungeon) that, with white spots, show you my 2 favourite safe spots to range cave horrors on. Look for them straight away, they are clearly the best you will get. Both of them have 2 convenient cave horror spawns that you can range at will. If you happen to have a high-pop world, you shall pretty much be ranging all the time!

Here's pretty much the basic tactic I suggest:
1. Attack cave horror
2. Hide
3. Attack until cave horror dies
4. Pick up loot
5. Repeat

I hope you are with me so far, because it'll get more difficult. I need to talk to you about my favourite safe spot: The one that, on the map, is marked by the white dot that is surrounded by the numbers 1 to 3 (all of them indicating cave horror spawns).

What you need to do on this spot, is to go up to Cave Horror 1 (As before, resort to the map), and lead him on, while you take place at the white dot that I have placed on the map.
As you have done this, Cave horror 2 and 3 must be lured pretty much in the same way, getting them stuck on rocky edges and unable to attack you, while still trying: You are safespotted. If done successfull, it shall look pretty much like below:

Posted Image

Now this is a bit difficult, but if you do it exactly like this, there is a big advantage! If you keep killing cave horror 2 and 3 (Do not touch nr 1), they shall eventually respawn (D'oh), and as long as they are aggresive, because of the way they spawn, they shall see you immediately, and proceed to attack, ALWAYS putting themselves back in the position shown in the image above.
You shall never even have to move from your safe spot as the cave horrors keep coming on! (Up to 10 minutes, as they grow passive eventually), now you tell me that isn't convenient, if not freakin awesome!

The other safe spot shall require a bit more 'leading on' the cave horrors, but is still a very suitable spot to range on and kill alot of horrors as you go.

For meleeing, you need not these tactics. Because of the vast size of this dungeon, you can move about freely, having plenty of cave horror spawns avalible. Remember only the basic tactics I have given you above and remember to wear your witchwood icon!
I am not going to give you a 'best melee spot', because there is none: You need no safespots as a warrior and the area is so big that all you need to do is find a location you like, and that has alot of Horror spawns together.
You may find it fun to venture deeper in the dungeon as you process as a warrior. If you go far enough you can reach a ladder that'll bring you to mahogany trees (Does this have any use? No, but it's your private island!)

5.0 Final Words

Not much to say here. All I can say is that I hope you enjoyed this guide, that I have tought you something that you may find useful, and most of all that you use this newfound knowledge for good and not for evil.
Please do not rip this guide. I do not know why you would want to, but just don't anyway. Not even to make me mad or anything: Because I just might, and I am not nice when I am mad.
This guide is dedicated to, inspired by and supported by Vegury!

F.A.Q

Q: What are the drops of Cave Horrors?
A: The most defining drops of Cave Horrors are: Black Mask (10), Clue Scrolls, Alot of seeds (herb seeds toadflax and higher), Noted teak logs, Alchable drops like addy larges and rune daggers, Several minor armor pieces, Prayer Pack (Consisting of 3 large and 5 small bones), Herbs.
Alot of drops also come in packs, you can often receive 2 herbs a drop and stuff. This also might make you miss a clue scroll, so watch out
Cave horrors drop a moderate amount of summoning charms, Mostly Crimson

Q: Should I use Void knight armor to range Cave horrors?
A: I have run a few tests with iron knives on Cave horrors, these tests were done on 92 ranged and 99 ranged, here is a random excerpt from my tests (this one done on 92 ranged:
Test 1: Cave horrors: Dhide
Iron Darts
10, 2, 10, 7, 0, 2, 6, 0, 7, 0, 10, 2K
8, 1, 0, 6, 0, 10, 10, 0, 4, 9, 0, 0, 7, 1K
10, 2, 7, 2, 0, 0, 3, 4, 2, 11, 1, 0, 7, 4, 2K
3, 5, 1, 9, 8, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 0, 11, 2, 2, 1K
0, 5, 0, 0, 6, 11, 4, 0, 0, 6, 5, 4, 3, 10, 2K
5, 0, 6, 2, 7, 3, 1, 8, 6, 7, 0, 7, 3K
1, 4, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7, 6, 0, 4, 9, 4, 8K
10, 6, 3, 0, 0, 5, 2, 0, 11, 5, 5, 6, 0, 3K
0, 0, 0, 5, 8, 5, 7, 9, 1, 0, 8, 10, 2K
0, 0, 9, 5, 9, 0, 5, 9, 5, 0, 4, 2, 8K

Test 1: Cave Horrors: VK
Iron Darts
11, 8, 0, 0, 4, 6, 0, 12, 2, 8, 5K
0, 12, 11, 1, 9, 0, 0, 2, 12 9K
0, 12, 0, 12, 4, 10, 2, 8, 7K
5, 5, 13, 9, 2, 12, 1, 6, 2K
8, 7, 12, 2, 13, 0, 0, 3, 2, 4, 4K
9, 9, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 11, 0, 0, 4, 12, 2K
2, 5, 12, 0, 9, 8, 11, 10K
10, 5, 0, 0, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 9, 2, 6, 9K
8, 9, 7, 9, 3, 12, 7K

6, 0, 5, 11, 7, 7, 0, 10, 0, 3, 6K

Dhide AVG DMG: 4.09
VK AVG DMG: 5.22
Every line represents a cave horror, every number a hit done, a K means this was the killing hit and has not been included in calculations.
As you can see, VK beats DH with an effectiveness of 25% more on 92 ranged.
This same test was done on 99 Ranged where VK beats DH with an effectivity of 35%.
So according to this, every ranger with 75+ Ranged is better off using void knight for sure. Below that, if this is a linear graph (which of course isn't certain), you may be better off using dragonhide.
Know that lower than 75 ranged, a VK + MSB combo would still be better than DHIDE + MSB, but DHIDE + Knives still beats both of these numbers.
I am not at all certain what is better, but here goes a pretty accurate estimation to decide on your ranging weapon

I am X ranged, can I train at cave horrors?
A: Yes, as long as you meet the requirements shown in part 2 of this guide, your ranged shall always be sufficient in effectively killing Cave Horrors (this is thanks to their very low hp (55 hitpoints on 80 combat). You may wonder what use level 3 clues are if you are 40 ranged either way: Your combat may not allow you to kill the guardians on level 3 clue scrolls.

Q: Will you add full drop tables and XP per hour?
A: No

Credits:
- My myself and I

Revision History:
- 10/01/08: Guide written
- 10/20/08: Updated gear selection, added monster info, changed text size, revised introduction[/size]

Edited by xzpepijnzx, 20 October 2008 - 02:40 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Shadowmu

Shadowmu

• RS Name:Shadowmu
  • RS Status:Retired

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

Moved to Content Camp.

Change the text size to something way smaller, it's too hard to read with the size at the moment.

#3 phr33 p33k4y3r

phr33 p33k4y3r

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Okay, first of all there a couple spelling errors you might want to fix. Also, i noticed a couple of times you stopped mid-sentence, - - Melee'rs may want to bring - for example. Fix those up and a good guide!

#4 Maxman

Maxman

I Know You

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Fantastic guide! The only things I recommend you work on his for one, like Shadowmu said, is to make your font much larger. The ones I only suggest is the one in paragraph tags. The other thing I mainly suggest is to make links to what they drop. What you can do is use Zybez's Monster Database, simply look up Cave horrors, and post all useful information that you haven't posted yet.

Lovely guide; it looks very useful. :sad:
Retired from RuneScape | 99 Cooking | 99 Fletching | 99 Fishing | Quest cape
Posted Image- Feel free to PM Me
- Retired Zybez RS Database/Maintenance Crew
- Ex-CL of Guides
- Ex-CL of General Discussion

#5 Noble Inc

Noble Inc

Shun the non-believer

• Clan:Quit

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:07 AM

You also might want to mention that Cave Horrors are Magic-Melee based, like Bloodvelds, so Torag armor wouldn't be the best choice.

Bring D'Hide or Karils, you'll last a lot longer.

Posted Image
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

#6 iPedro

iPedro

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

instead of wearing torags, you should be wearing dragon hide/karils/armadyl you get hit a lot less

edit - make a guthans inventory. it works well if you heal when your low instead of bringing full inv of food and wasting it

Edited by pedromundo13, 03 October 2008 - 03:55 PM.

Vr Legend

Posted Image

#7 Anti-Tcb

Anti-Tcb

Sit down!

• RS Name:AntiTcb
  • RS Status:Oldschool
  • Clan:None.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

The Torags set up is pretty wrong. That will give you a low magic defence bonus, which is what they usually hit with most of the time. Dragonhide/Karils works much better, and you can also bring Guthans to heal on the Albino Bats.

Posted Image

#8 xzpepijnzx

xzpepijnzx

Vegury's #1 fan

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:13 AM

View PostShadowmu, on Oct 1 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

Moved to Content Camp.

Change the text size to something way smaller

View PostMaxman, on Oct 2 2008, 04:16 AM, said:

only things I recommend you work on his for one, like Shadowmu said, is to make your font much larger.

Dilemma...

Figured i was wrong on the meleeing section: i don't like to melee them anyway, but it's probably right...

Edited by xzpepijnzx, 04 October 2008 - 05:13 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Shadowmu

Shadowmu

• RS Name:Shadowmu

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

View Postxzpepijnzx, on Oct 4 2008, 12:13 PM, said:

View PostShadowmu, on Oct 1 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

Moved to Content Camp.

Change the text size to something way smaller

View PostMaxman, on Oct 2 2008, 04:16 AM, said:

only things I recommend you work on his for one, like Shadowmu said, is to make your font much larger.

Dilemma...

Figured i was wrong on the meleeing section: i don't like to melee them anyway, but it's probably right...

Why is it a dilemma?

When you posted it, the text was far too large. Now parts of the text are too small. Just try size 4 or something average for all of the text so it looks right.

Thanks Sum

Try size 1 or 2.

#10 Sumilidon12

Sumilidon12

-Sumi

• RS Name:Sumilidon12

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Very good guide! Though, you could improve a few things. First of all; your font size. You should make it larger, like Shadow and Max already stated. The text is pretty eye-hurting at that size. I'd recommend you to use the Verdana font, with a size of 2 (standard).

Secondly, I suggest you to delete all paragraph tags in your guide. It doesn't look quite good in a guide, but that's just my opinion. Also, you should always put an enter before and after each picture, and after each subtitle. It does make your guide look far more professional.

Goodluck! :wub:

At Shadowmu, size 4 is a bit large, eh? ^_^

-Sumi

Edited by Sumilidon12, 06 October 2008 - 11:20 AM.

- Former Community Leader of Questions and Money Making
- Former Community Leader of Events
- Former Senior Member
- Former Events Team Member
- Former Achievements Skilling Competition Staff

#11 xzpepijnzx

xzpepijnzx

Vegury's #1 fan

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

size changed back to standard

Ill take a look at the claim at magic-based melee later...

Posted Image

#12 Sumilidon12

Sumilidon12

-Sumi

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Wow, I think that's a bit large...

Ckeck your PM's. I send you a code which should fix the size. ^_^

-Sumi

Edited by Sumilidon12, 06 October 2008 - 11:42 AM.

- Former Senior Member

#13 Pants

Pants

• RS Name:I Luv Pants

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

This hurts my eyes. The text is way to big. Once that is fixed I'll be happy to read through this and give my two cents.

Edited by i luv pants, 06 October 2008 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image

#14 fire creak

fire creak

sHIFT hAPPENS

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

Wow that's almost completely token from my cave horror guide on my achievement topic, in march 2007.. :x

I luv pants might remember :p

Posted Image

Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.

#15 Pants

Pants

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:48 PM

View Postfire creak, on Oct 6 2008, 03:46 PM, said:

Wow that's almost completely token from my cave horror guide on my achievement topic, in march 2007.. :x

I luv pants might remember :p

I thought this looked familier ^_^

E: As I can't be bothered trying to read this from what I've noticed, you should wear magic based defence, not torags while meleeing these.

Edited by i luv pants, 06 October 2008 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#16 fire creak

fire creak

sHIFT hAPPENS

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

I can second that cave horrors use magical based offense, and so using something like armadyl armor would be a bit more effective than torags :s

Posted Image

Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.

#17 Pants

Pants

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

View Postfire creak, on Oct 6 2008, 03:53 PM, said:

I can second that cave horrors use magical based offense, and so using something like armadyl armor would be a bit more effective than torags :s

Though armadyl has lessened in price recently, karils or dragonhides are just as suitable. ^_^

Posted Image

#18 Adamant Inc

Adamant Inc

I'll kill you with my bear hands.

• RS Name:I Adamant I
  • RS Status:Free

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

that font is giant.
Corruptisima re Publica Plurimae Leges

#19 xzpepijnzx

xzpepijnzx

Vegury's #1 fan

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

View PostS Q U N K Y, on Oct 7 2008, 02:49 PM, said:

that font is giant.
So i heard, but to me the font shows up as normal arial size 2...

So i'm doing something wrong or the RSC scripting did...
Either way i can't fix what i cannot see..

Posted Image

#20 Sumilidon12

Sumilidon12

-Sumi

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

Did you delete the font-tags, like I told you in a PM? That should fix it, normally.
Anyway, you could also ask a moderator/Guides CL to fix the problem. They'd be more than happy to help you. :wub:

-Sumi

- Former Senior Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt